MSgt. Shooter Person

Default Licensing UDK: Contradicting Terms?

There's something I do not understand about the UDK licensing terms. Maybe I'm too dumb... or maybe the following is in fact contradictory.

In the Licensing FAQ found here:
    http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/DevelopmentKitFAQ.html

...it reads:
    Q: Can I release a commercial game that uses the “Unreal Tournament 3” assets included with UDK?
    A: Yes, with one exception. You may not release anything marked as a SkeletalMesh in the Content Browser in a commercial UDK application.
    Okay, I get that. I can use whatever UT3 assets included in the UDK for a COMMERCIAL UDK game with the only exception of assets marked as SkeletalMesh. Easy..., but according to the Lincensing FAQs found here:
    https://www.udk.com/licensing-faqs.html

...it reads:
    Q: Can I release a noncommercial game that uses the “Unreal Tournament 3” assets included with UDK?
    A: Yes. You can use UT3 assets included with UDK for a noncommercial game [...] If you wish to sell your game, all assets must be owned by you.
    It actually says: "You may NOT use these assets for a COMMERCIAL game. You may ONLY USE UDK/UT3 assets for NON-COMMERCIAL games."
    To me, this is straight contradictory. Has this been changed recently and one of the two contradicting statement is just a left-over from a previous regulation?

Can anyone enlighten me?

There's the distinction in that with a free game you can use all assets included in UDK, however for a commercial game you can use everything except the skeletal meshes.

They're just not being clear in their response.

MSgt. Shooter Person

No, it clearly states "ALL ASSETS". It's not limited to non-SkeletalMesh assets, but says that all assets must be owned by you for a commercial release.

It's not that I'm interested in their assets (we'll be using our own assets anyway), but I stumbled upon this contradiction and would like to have that sorted out, before purchasing a license. Given the way UDK is structured, you might well use e.g. an original UT texture accidentally... and I don't want to be in trouble for that.

I'm telling you what it means, for a commercial game you can use everything included except for skeletal meshes.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by darthviper107 View Post
    I'm telling you what it means, for a commercial game you can use everything included except for skeletal meshes.
    Well thanks, but how do you know "what it means"?
    Do you have additional information besides what is written in the licensing FAQs?
    If it clearly says "ALL ASSETS MUST BE OWNED BY YOU FOR A COMMERCIAL RELEASE" how can that mean that I may use assets owned by Epic?
    Last edited by Sharkster; 06-22-2012 at 04:33 PM.

Skaarj
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: dec0y777

I am sure that EPIC had their $10,000 per/hour lawyers look through all that stuff. If your going to create your own assets(which is what you should do anyway) then why dose it matter if you "think" there is a contradiction or not?

MSgt. Shooter Person

because...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharkster View Post
    Given the way UDK is structured, you might well use e.g. an original UT texture accidentally... and I don't want to be in trouble for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkster View Post
    Well thanks, but how do you know "what it means"?
    Do you have additional information besides what is written in the licensing FAQs?
    If it clearly says "ALL ASSETS MUST BE OWNED BY YOU FOR A COMMERCIAL RELEASE" how can that mean that I may use assets owned by Epic?
    They've said so multiple times in these forums? Plus again, it also clearly says "You may not release anything marked as a SkeletalMesh in the Content Browser in a commercial UDK application."

It might be contradictory, but no one's had a problem understanding what it meant. And again, they've said the same thing themselves.

Skaarj
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: dec0y777

If you correctly plan out your game with a GDD(Game Design Document) you should be able to manage all that and not use their textures. I am not saying that its possible that something like that could happen. I just don't see how it could be if you plan it out(basis of a good game)

MSgt. Shooter Person

I know that it is popular belief in the UDK community that all assets (except skeletal) can be used.
    However,...
    Quote Originally Posted by dec0y View Post
    if you correctly plan out your game
    , ...legal security is one of the things you want to be 100% sure of.

Anyway, thanks for your help guys.
    I'm going to send a mail to udklicensing@epicgames.com to get an official word on this.
    Last edited by Sharkster; 06-22-2012 at 04:52 PM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

I just noticed that the licensing FAQ under
    https://www.udk.com/licensing-faqs.html

is no longer available, but now forwards straight to:
    http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/DevelopmentKitFAQ.html

This was changed a couple of minutes ago... so, I guess that answers my question.

Technical Writer - UDN
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: ffejnosliw

Thanks for pointing out the discrepancy. We fixed it up earlier so hopefully no one will run into the same confusing in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by darthviper107 View Post
    There's the distinction in that with a free game you can use all assets included in UDK, however for a commercial game you can use everything except the skeletal meshes.

They're just not being clear in their response.
    When I imported some custom made assets it still says its skeletal mesh. So I can use it still right?

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: NekoDemon117

Quote Originally Posted by Manill66 View Post
    When I imported some custom made assets it still says its skeletal mesh. So I can use it still right?
    That only applies to UDK-provided Skeletal Meshes. In the Content Browser, a skeletal mesh is a skeletal mesh. It is up to you to keep track of what meshes you own and imported and what UDK provided for non-commercial use. Though as a UT3 player, I find it easy to keep track of what skeletal meshes are UT3 and what ones aren't.

On a side note, there is a big exception to "anything but skeletal meshes." It says right in the EULA not to use anything in the KismetGame_Assets.upk package in any cooked application, commercial or non-commercial. It appears that Epic doesn't want people running amok with their Jazz Jackrabbit stuff. (which appears to be provided exclusively for the Kismet Game iOS tutorial)

Quote with only the relevant parts included:
    3. License Restrictions. Epic and its suppliers reserve all rights not expressly granted to You in this Agreement. Unless applicable law gives You more rights despite this limitation, You may use the UDK only as expressly permitted in this Agreement. Thus, You may use the UDK as set forth in Section 2, but You may not:
    • release any UDK application (non-commercial or commercial) that uses any asset from KismetGame_Assets.upk.