MSgt. Shooter Person

Default Packaged game crashes on startup (shader compilation related)

After building an installer and installing my game the game crashes to the desktop during startup. The last messages in the log are:

[0004.46] Critical: appError called: Couldn't launch ..\Win32\UE3ShaderCompileWorker.exe! Make sure the exe is in your binaries folder.
    [0004.46] Critical: Windows GetLastError: The system cannot find the file specified. (2)
    [0004.47] Critical: Error reentered: Couldn't launch ..\Win32\UE3ShaderCompileWorker.exe! Make sure the exe is in your binaries folder.
    [0004.47] Critical: Error reentered: Couldn't launch ..\Win32\UE3ShaderCompileWorker.exe! Make sure the exe is in your binaries folder.
    [0004.47] Log: === Critical error: ===
    Couldn't launch ..\Win32\UE3ShaderCompileWorker.exe! Make sure the exe is in your binaries folder.
    Manually copying this executable to the install directory does indeed fix the problem. However this is not really a pretty solution for end users.

I'm using the may 2012 version, the levels are fully rebuild and I did a full rebuild and recook in the frontend before creating the installer. I tested this on multiple systems with various hardware, but it does not seem to be hardware related.

Is there a way to prevent this from happening?

MSgt. Shooter Person

Some more info: it seems to be related to this warning I get when cooking or starting the game:

Warning, Job[2] TU2_Mayan Warning, Failed to compile Material Instance tu2_mayan.LandscapeMaterialInstanceConstant_0 with Base M_Terrain for platform PC-D3D-SM3, Default Material will be used in game.
    Warning, Job[2] TU2_Mayan Warning, Failed to compile Material Instance tu2_mayan.LandscapeMaterialInstanceConstant_0 with Base M_Terrain for platform PC-OpenGL, Default Material will be used in game.
    When I look at the material instances in the editor all other LandscapeMaterialInstances are fine, but the _0 one is indeed displayed with the default material. What is strange though is that all landscape components render fine in both the editor and the game.

Another very strange effect: When installing the game on Windows XP machines this issue does not seem to happen. However it does happen consistently on every Windows 7 machine I've tested.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Please excuse my bumping, but I still have not been able to fix this, so I could really use some help.

One more thing that I tried was to delete all the components in the corners of the terrain in the hope that one of them might use LandscapeMaterialInstanceConstant_0, however the same error would still occur.

MSgt. Shooter Person

I have same problem using Februari UDK

Warning, Failed to compile Material Instance planet11test.LandscapeMaterialInstanceConstant_0 with Base Ground for platform PC-D3D-SM3, Default Material will be used in game.
    Warning, Failed to compile Material Instance planet11test.LandscapeMaterialInstanceConstant_0 with Base Ground for platform PC-OpenGL, Default Material will be used in game.

It fails when, I import RAW-8 Layer in to the Landscape system,,
    Last edited by Hotshot; 07-25-2012 at 01:28 PM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Hmm, in my case all layers where created inside the editor, nothing was imported.

Were you able to find a workaround?

MSgt. Shooter Person

I have 2 problems

First when I use LandscapeLayerBlend it will always fail when I cook. Can not compile Material
    When I uses LandsacpeLayerWeight it cooks

The second problem was the Parent was not right on InstanceConstant0 when I compared to InstanceConstant1 or to and 3

MSgt. Shooter Person

In case someone else finds this thread and has the same issues, I managed to eventually find a workaround:

Changing the material did not work for me. My problem seemed to be related with the automatic removal of zero weight layers from the material instances. For some reason it seemed to optimize that specific instance a bit to far and removed every layer.

By playing around with the layers weights and painting and removing some areas I was able to reproduce the error on a number of different parts of the terrain, but I also eventually managed to solve it. So if you encounter this, try to find out which part of the terrain is affected and just adjust the layer weights until you get lucky and the error disappears.

Not the best solution, but it's better then nothing I suppose...

Iron Guard

You can open unsetup.mainfest.xml and add that file to gamefilestoinclude
    Strangely there is no documentation on how unprop and unsetup work