Default Need UDK programmer for action button script to call a web page

I am an investor in a new company that will make on-line real estate home tours using UDK. My designer needs a script for an on-screen button that the user can mouse-click on (else press "Enter") to launch an unchanging external website address (in a manner that also launches their web browser if it is not already running). This needs to work on Microsoft, Apple and Droid systems.

It would be preferable if the script's button could hide behind an image (e.g. the user believes they are clicking on the front of a cabinet, appliance or picture). In the end, there will be dozens of of these action buttons, each permanently configured to a specific URL. My designer knows how to make UDK worlds but has no programming or scripting experience, so we would need guidance on how to add this script into the UDK world and make it work. Everything can occur remotely over Skype, TeamViewer or equivalent.

The need is immediate. If you are interested, or know someone that is, please email me directly at (Doug @ ProtectYourPlace.com) so we can discuss your price.

Foreget the DRIOD. I just discovered that this is not possible. So I need a programmer that can make this work on Windows and MAC.

I have heard that the features I need are not supported by UDK on the MAC IOS either. Sorry to talk about the competition, but I heard there is another product similar to UDK. I think it is called "Trinity". Will that, or any product that you know of work on both PC and MAC and also support the "visit a URL" feature noted above? If so, I will need a programmer to do that for this other program.

Iron Guard

Since UDK can be integrated into Steam, why not just use the Steam Browser or something...?
    Unless you are not going to use Steam of course, then I am out of ideas x)
    CEO of Dynamic Realities: Dynamic Realities Home
    Follow us on Twitter
    Check out my Free Java Solutions here: Vipars Repository
    How to Format your Thread the RIGHT way!

I do appologize for my lack of knowledge with your field of expertise. Are you suggesting that the we can still do what I described above by integrated the STEAM browser as the interface to call external websites? If so, that might work for our needs and I would be very interested in understanding how the first time user's experience and hiring a programmer.

Redeemer

You know, udk supports scaleform.
    Scaleform is on flash.
    And flash is both able to launch links on an external webbrowser or display it internally.
    Lead Programmer
    It's the Only NEET Thing to Do

Programming for non-fiction.
    I'm the function of my code. Conditions are my body and calls are my blood. I have input over a thousand lines. Unknown of bugs, nor known to work. Have withstand coffee to create many programs. Yet, those hands will never code anything again. So, as I pray, Unlimited Code Works.

I can write HTML and my UDK designer can only do just that. We do not have flash skills, but could hire someone who does. Is your suggestion that the UDK could call the flash code with some reference ID, and then the flash code have a reference/translation table so it can then call the corresponding external HTML page? If so, this could work but we would need someone to code the UDK changes to accomodate up to 100 such reference events, teach my designer how to make objects to call those reference events (hopefully behind pictures of objects as noted in my original post), and someone to make the flash (and change the URLs for each property). Each URL will always be in the format of http://www.DOMAIN.com/WEBPAGE.html

Iron Guard

Page doesn't work :x
    CEO of Dynamic Realities: Dynamic Realities Home
    Follow us on Twitter
    Check out my Free Java Solutions here: Vipars Repository
    How to Format your Thread the RIGHT way!

http://www.DOMAIN.com/WEBPAGE.html
    was just to indicate the format of the example page. It is not meant to be any actual webpage. I will just have some domain name where it says DOMAIN and some webpage where it says WEBPAGE. Sorry for any confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Saishy View Post
    You know, udk supports scaleform.
    Scaleform is on flash.
    And flash is both able to launch links on an external webbrowser or display it internally.
    Sadly no. Scaleform doesn't handle network access including opening a url.

From what I have read in the various responses, it also sounds like DLLbind is not supported on APPLE computers. If that is correct, then I think I need a brand new Switch that ONE name field that can be assigned by my designer. As for the Switch's functionality
    Triggers: Volume
    Used (ENTER key)
    Used (SPACE key)
    InterpActorMover
    Matinee: Launch the URL listed in the name field or send that URL to some external tool (e.g. FLASH) that can launch that web address
    There is no need to add other Matinees (e.g. Mover, PlaySound, Toggle) so long as this new switch allows other Matinees to be added by my designer.

Also, I need that external tool (if it cannot be done internally) that will receive the name field.

Do you think this will work on both PC and MAC? Can you, or anyone you know, handle either the creation of this switch or external Flash tool?
    If Flash will not work, I will accept any internal/external tool that can receive the fields from that switch and call the designated website.
    Last edited by protectyourplace; 06-22-2012 at 04:49 PM.

Like I said, as long as you're using UDK, you can't do this via flash.

Then forget Flash. If I can pay someone to create the above noted Switch, is there any internal/external tool that can receive the fields from that switch and call the designated website?

On windows and even on iOS, yes. But not on a mac AFAIK. The switch also isn't a big deal.

Unless I am wrong, IOS is the operating system for MACs and iPads. Those are the only Apple products I need supported.

Nope. iOS is only for apple's mobile devices including ipad, ipod touch and iphone. Mac OS is OS/X.
    Last edited by farshad12; 06-22-2012 at 11:56 PM.

This can only be done with the UDK using DLLBind on Windows with the ShellExecute API. As far as I know, you won't be able to achieve this on any other OS.

For what you're doing, I think Unity would be the better engine. It can run within a browser with minimal downloads, so it's more suited to tours and what-not.

Quote Originally Posted by VanZ View Post
    ...you won't be able to achieve this on any other OS.
    Not true, You can do it quite easily on the iOS. The reason for this is that it is a necessary feature for mobile games.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by VanZ View Post
    This can only be done with the UDK using DLLBind on Windows with the ShellExecute API. As far as I know, you won't be able to achieve this on any other OS.

For what you're doing, I think Unity would be the better engine. It can run within a browser with minimal downloads, so it's more suited to tours and what-not.
    That doesn't really make sense... He's trying to launch / add a tab to an existing browser window based on player input. He's not trying to host the client application inside of a browser.

You can definitely do this using DLLBind and I'm not convinced you couldn't do it using flash / actionscript. I've done DDLBind work before, specifically relating to gesture recognition for combat, however I'm not really working on UE3 anymore. If you need some guidance I could get you started in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by RichKid View Post
    You can definitely do this using DLLBind
    You didn't get the problem here. There is no problem using DllBind, the problem is DllBind is windows only.

Quote Originally Posted by RichKid View Post
    I'm not convinced you couldn't do it using flash / actionscript.
    Well weather you are or not, it definitely can't be done using scaleform, and in UDK you don't have access to flash in any other way.

----

However I found a solution yesterday, which I guess the OP already knows about it. It doesn't need any external Dll and probably works for all supported platforms. So problem solved I think.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Do you want to render web page inside UDK? or just open it on IE or safari?

Either solution. Whatever is easier.