MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: RexMantlepiece

Default So How Are Classes Assigned Exactly?

Apologies if this was covered in a previous thread, but this is the one thing that I find baffling about the new Overrun mode.

I've heard that players will get to choose what class COG they get to play as.

It's an intriguing idea, but what happens when no one wants to be engineer or medic because they are less glamorous?

Will there be a random assignment? Will it change from match to match? Or will the game simply allow unbalanced teams to go in there and shoot themselves in the foot?
    We've Got Heads On Sticks - You've got Ventriloquists.

Veteran
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Terra D Serph PSN ID: Terra_D_Serph

I assume people will want to work in teams. But I suspect when you join with randoms, you'll get at least 3 people who are of 1 of the classes. People who are(or think they are) amazing with the sniper will go for the scout, while people who are solo-warriors will try to be a soldier. Mechanic and Medic will be left to the people who've dedicated their time to assisting players. The hipsters of the community will pick the lesser of those two, because the other is too "mainstream."

The system promotes teamwork and the variation of classes but I see a ton of people not wanting to play as a medic because they want their K/D higher, or not playing as a mechanic because they think the gnasher "sponges," even though it's clearly been stated multiple times by me and others that as an asymmetric class based system, the Locust have to have more health to make up for the defensive power of the COG. Therefore, gnasher gibs will not gib people, but instead it'll take 2-3 point blank shots to kill your foe, who looks like he or she won't have that rev-stun when they rev their lancer's chainsaw. Good luck!

I'll be playing with a team as much as possible, and I'll be the medic/mechanic of the team. I'm not one to bust in guns blazing, and my sniping skills have, in my opinion, never been very good.
    Last edited by Terra D Serph; 06-16-2012 at 01:32 AM.
    Imagine if OverRun was placed as a PC standalone game.
    Also, Thrashball should be a professional E-sport.

Veteran
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Doctor Pie 7056

First come first serve IMO
    I have a shotgun
    Quote Originally Posted by xTZAx View Post
    I was considering cancelling my pre-order until they finally confirmed that I can turn off gore and language.
    Yes, this is a fertile land we will rule over all this land, we will call it, this land. - Thumbs up if you get the reference

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: RexMantlepiece

-------------BUMP-----------------------

So basically, no one knows just yet?
    We've Got Heads On Sticks - You've got Ventriloquists.

Veteran

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: WaldoRtk7

Quote Originally Posted by RexMantlepiece View Post
    -------------BUMP-----------------------

So basically, no one knows just yet?
    You'll be able to choose your classes from what I was told by the devs, and trust me Engineer is the best class period
    The Sons of Sera:
    The Ruins of D'lanor
    [ My Fan Fic ]

"People Shouldn't Be Afraid Of Their Governments,
    Governments Should Fear Their People!"

Veteran
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: thesuicidefox

Quote Originally Posted by WaldoRtk7 View Post
    You'll be able to choose your classes from what I was told by the devs, and trust me Engineer is the best class period
    How do you pick Locust classes? It looks like Beast where you earn money and unlock higher tiers. Also can COG earn money in the same way?
    -thesuicidefox-

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by the_suicide_fox View Post
    How do you pick Locust classes? It looks like Beast where you earn money and unlock higher tiers. Also can COG earn money in the same way?
    I don't think the COG get money. I remember hearing in an interview (no bloody idea which one) that the game starts with fortifications already set-up, and unless the Engineer repairs them in time, they're gone for good.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: MEIYER

I think you should be able to pick a loadout AND an ability... but that would seriously offset the balance... I almost thought at one point of this idea.
    Cog side can:
    -choose their character and a 2 weapon basic loadout
    -choose their ability
    -rush for weapon spawns that start right in front of them

This way, you could have your own skin, still be a class, and it would still be balanced weapon wise because there would only be about 3 power weps probably and they would still need to drop a wep for a powerful one...

I unno, it's gunna need to be tried to see how it works out...
    GoW 3 Member of the Old Guard 20
    Thanks to DizzyRules for my Flame HB code! | And to Reign, Miss Broccoli, and RollerKiller for helping me get it!!
    GoW: J 35

Redeemer
    MCDonalds, fighting off the Zombie Horde.
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: MasterAlex09

Like TF2 but only with: Engineer, Medic, Sniper, and Soldier(on COG)
    On Locust: Beast mode with less characters
    Kim wins the lottery, and spends the rest of his time counting his money.

Kim will use the money he earnt from the billions of shooting contests he entered and buy Microsoft and criticize everything they produce.

There is a Theron on Disc that is ready for MultiPlayer, All he needs is to be on the Character Selection Screenhttp://forums.epicgames.com/threads/...a-Theron-Guard

Thanks Lycan for the SGE, he's my new main locust. Thank you Cher and Flak for my Launch Skin Pack, you're both awesome!

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Invincibullet

As a Veteran TF2 Engineer and a Veteran GOW Gnasher user, I will choose Baird 99% of the time when I am solo. If I am working with a team, I will choose what is best for the team.

Skaarj

Quote Originally Posted by SWATSTRIKE View Post
    As a Veteran TF2 Engineer and a Veteran GOW Gnasher user, I will choose Baird 99% of the time when I am solo. If I am working with a team, I will choose what is best for the team.
    My same exact situation here, well said

Skaarj

Quote Originally Posted by Terra D Serph View Post
    I assume people will want to work in teams. But I suspect when you join with randoms, you'll get at least 3 people who are of 1 of the classes. People who are(or think they are) amazing with the sniper will go for the scout, while people who are solo-warriors will try to be a soldier. Mechanic and Medic will be left to the people who've dedicated their time to assisting players. The hipsters of the community will pick the lesser of those two, because the other is too "mainstream."

The system promotes teamwork and the variation of classes but I see a ton of people not wanting to play as a medic because they want their K/D higher, or not playing as a mechanic because they think the gnasher "sponges," even though it's clearly been stated multiple times by me and others that as an asymmetric class based system, the Locust have to have more health to make up for the defensive power of the COG. Therefore, gnasher gibs will not gib people, but instead it'll take 2-3 point blank shots to kill your foe, who looks like he or she won't have that rev-stun when they rev their lancer's chainsaw. Good luck!

I'll be playing with a team as much as possible, and I'll be the medic/mechanic of the team. I'm not one to bust in guns blazing, and my sniping skills have, in my opinion, never been very good.
    Right on, Bro!, the way it should be, personally i think i would be playing the Medic and sometimes the Engi, i would only play the other two classes if there's achievements involving them, but yeah, Team Work all the way! see you on the battlefield!

Boomshot
    Soloing Top Lane. Can't camp your tower I got perfect harass.

Quote Originally Posted by Terra D Serph View Post

Engie and Medic are absolutely essential to a good team in competetive play. This is why pubs get stomped by Highlanders. I agree though many players unless they understand team mechanics always go Sniper classes or basic Assault classes.

May aswell say GG as soon as you see 3 snipers.
    Need help with the 500 Silverback Rocket kills achievement? Visit the Silverback Service Thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Totallysafe View Post
    I have never seen someone give someone else a code because they were fed up. This is a first.
    Enjoy your LGS EXTREME NOOBHUNTER. Thanks FL4K for my Mech Baird and III LYCAN III for my SGE.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Untitled One

From what I've heard, you are allowed to have more than one of the same exact class on a team, though it's highly not recommended if you're running like an all Solider class for example.

Banned

Overrun just sounds stupid.

I sure hope they have standard Horde because I hate Beast mode and I also hate timed matches.

This game will flop without Horde mode.

Veteran

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: WaldoRtk7

Quote Originally Posted by the_suicide_fox View Post
    It's just like Beast Mode Tiers
    The Sons of Sera:
    The Ruins of D'lanor
    [ My Fan Fic ]

"People Shouldn't Be Afraid Of Their Governments,
    Governments Should Fear Their People!"

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Joseph Ballin

Quote Originally Posted by Meiyer View Post
    I think you should be able to pick a loadout AND an ability... but that would seriously offset the balance... I almost thought at one point of this idea.
    Cog side can:
    -choose their character and a 2 weapon basic loadout
    -choose their ability
    -rush for weapon spawns that start right in front of them

This way, you could have your own skin, still be a class, and it would still be balanced weapon wise because there would only be about 3 power weps probably and they would still need to drop a wep for a powerful one...

I unno, it's gunna need to be tried to see how it works out...
    Class is tied to character so you can visually identify what your teammates can do and what you're up against. It's just a good idea in general.

Redeemer
    MCDonalds, fighting off the Zombie Horde.
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: MasterAlex09

I am waiting for the "Meet the Medic" Team, a bunch of noobs all picking soldiers and getting raped by team work.
    (Can I show the video for an example of a bad team?)
    Kim wins the lottery, and spends the rest of his time counting his money.

Kim will use the money he earnt from the billions of shooting contests he entered and buy Microsoft and criticize everything they produce.

There is a Theron on Disc that is ready for MultiPlayer, All he needs is to be on the Character Selection Screenhttp://forums.epicgames.com/threads/...a-Theron-Guard

Thanks Lycan for the SGE, he's my new main locust. Thank you Cher and Flak for my Launch Skin Pack, you're both awesome!

He who must not be named...

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TAO Devil

Quote Originally Posted by WaldoRtk7 View Post
    Eh, I'm a scout, so the sniper works good for me as well as the beacon grenade.
    That was Zen, This is TAO
    Ranked #1 in the World for AWESOMENESS!

Follow me @TAO_Devil Follow my Gaming Blog @DevilsGameroom or view the site The Devils Gameroom
    GzB Baby! WHOOOO! EGFC Member
    First member to ever hit 30,000 posts. I am He Who Must Not Be Named

Boomshot
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Brocust Drone PSN ID: coldbanshee

Quote Originally Posted by Masteralex09 View Post
    I am waiting for the "Meet the Medic" Team, a bunch of noobs all picking soldiers and getting raped by team work.
    (Can I show the video for an example of a bad team?)
    I'd like to see that.

Also: Me? Medic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mist3r 0 View Post
    I have a dream that one day Serans and Locust can walk together and attend the same schools... and possibly even drink from the same water fountain without getting gibbed or chainsawed. Black coffee is the devil.
    Thank you xIx ANTI xIx, lll LYCAN lll, 123MAN, lewgis, LoD Fenix, DizzyRules and Kosher for the codes!
    EGFC Member

R.I.P. Jynx