Thread: FBX Maya to UDK

Default FBX Maya to UDK

I have been learning how to export and import different things from maya 2013 to UDK May release. Everything is exporting well, I have tried Rigs, animations, meshes and materials and UV-maps.

All have worked except for materials and UV-Maps. I do not understand why. I did the export and import just with maya and no problems with the autodesk software. So i believe there is something wrong with either what i am doing in UDK, or the package is missing something. I have followed various tutorials from people who use UDK in exporting FBX, from representatives and from people who do this as a job or hobby and I have had no success. UDK does'nt say there are any errors either. The materials when imported are usually blank.

I have tried applying materials face by face. I have applied materials to object mesh and still nothing. So the only conclusion I can come up with is that UDK is not importing correctly even with correct settings on Import : /

I do this as a hobby and have been getting quite frustrated for the past week, I could not find threads on forum. Any Ideas, or similar threads?

First forum I have done, so not sure if this thread is in the right place.
    Last edited by Djinn-Virus; 06-08-2012 at 05:17 AM. Reason: Not sure if this thread is in the right place.

Veteran

Don't use JPEG.
    I run VoxHouse (VHSGames) and the UnrealDB.
    Film & Game producer, using and teaching UDK & Unreal Engine 4. Please stop by and say a good word on my project thread.
    Also feel free to join us on #udkc irc.gamesurge.net or via web: http://myclodel.com to chat live with others in the UDK community.

I don't understand, does the export automatically make it Jpeg from maya, which means UDK can't read it? what format should I change it too e.g. Targa, Bitmap.

The image type did not even occur to me : /
    Last edited by Djinn-Virus; 06-08-2012 at 10:29 AM. Reason: extra info

Do I have to import textures seprately from the mesh, as I have been using default blinns and phongs in Maya 2013, I can't seem to find a material format in its exporter.

Technical Writer - UDN
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: ffejnosliw

Check the launch.log file in the UDKGame\Logs folder after you do an import that doesn't work as expected and see if there is any information or errors listed so you have an idea of what is going wrong. Jpeg is not a supported texture format and only basic material types are supported. The supported formats and types are all listed in the documentation, which I suggest reading.