Hello UDK staff,
I originally posted my issue in the animation forum (see link below) but realize my problem is specific to the UDK May 2012 build.
I am now forced to use UDK March 2012 beta which is unfortunate since I was looking forward to the new iOS scaleform feature in the May 2012 build.
Here is the Full Post:
I am having an issue and seek your advice.
Description of Problem:
UDK March 2012 - Successfully imported a skeletal model (.fbx) in the past UDK build (March 2012), put it into an Animtree and synced with UScript (It was working fine).
UDK May 2012 - After a re-import into May 2012, the same model (.fbx) (which hasn't been touched since importing into March 2012) is having rotation problems. When I attach it's Animset to the Skeletal mesh (via animset editor), the "ROLL" is off by -90 degrees (Character lays flat on his face). Weird thing is, I have the old mesh saved in a package (saved in the UDK directory from March 2012) and it works fine in May 2012.
The problem is that I have other characters importing with the same incorrect results and I'm trying to figure out why they all rotate when I attach their Animsets to them (Different characters and different AnimSets).
1. Import Skeletal Mesh (Imports with its AnimSet).
2. Open the skeletal mesh ( AnimSet Editor ).
3. At this point mesh rotation is correct (Animset is none in drop down. No Animset picked yet.).
4. Pick the correct Animset from the AnimSet tab's drop down menu ( this is the correct AnimSet).
5. At this point, the mesh "Roll" rotation is off by -90 degrees.
To correct this, I add +90 to the ROLL rotation which you'd think would be ok but it is not, whey I preview this in my AnimTree, the model lays flat on his face when its not in Phys_Walking!
Other Tests (all fail):
A. Imported an older model that was working perfectly in August 2011, November 2011 and it is having the same issue.
B. I removed all my content and re-imported the model.
C. I rebuilt my scripts.
D. ReInstalled UDK May 2012.
9:30 PM CST Update:
I just reimported the skeletal mesh and animset into March 2012. The problem has disappeared!
Please enlighten me with your thoughts, I will be most appreciative.
My theory is that this is a UDK bug!