MSgt. Shooter Person

Default How to make custom content download faster?

When I let the game download custom content, it takes bloody ages. If I manually download it via HTTP, it downloads literally 100 times faster.

Is there a way to speed it up in game? I looked into redirection but there is a huge lack of documentation on how it should be done. The only thing I found is adding this to utengine.ini:

Code:
    [IpDrv.HTTPDownload]
     RedirectToURL=http://ut3.uovalor.com
     UseCompression=True

But what is the http folder structure suppose to be like? This is what I have, is this correct? http://ut3.uovalor.com Or do the files all have to be in the same folder?

be thankful for the technology you have available to you.

- show some patience; - is it really so bad to spend a few minutes downloading?

- the fact that people cant be bothered to wait this time is ridiculous

- if you are a player- tough.

- if you are a server provider you can compress your files alittle bit more.
    - using stuff like this

http://www.gamefront.com/files/97510...and_Decompress
    http://www.fileplanet.com/187733/180...mpression-tool
    Last edited by TKBS; 05-22-2012 at 10:54 PM. Reason: typo's

MSgt. Shooter Person

So there's no way to make it faster through the game? Just seems odd that it's so slow. It takes about a minute just to get 0.1%. I have 100mbps of bandwidth up/down to the server. If I download it manually through http then it's fine, but through the game it's very slow.

The path to your redirect needs to point directly to any files. Meaning, you have to put all files into the root folder of your selected path => no subfolders.
    Every file should be located at http://ut3.uovalor.com/

http://ut3.uovalor.com/CTF-GRD-Arsenal[UGM].ut3
    http://ut3.uovalor.com/CTF-GRD-Biohazard[UGM].ut3
    etc.

In this case, you're sharing the raw files - u, upk and ut3 files. So the variable "UseCompression" needs to be false. By compressing them with the methods TKBS mentioned, you have to set this to true. All the maps, package and script will have a new extension UZ3. Remember: In any case, no subfolder.

It looks like your sharing the files from the server. This can cause any lags on the client machines which are playing on that server. Files should be located on a different machine.

PS: Try to search "ut3 setup redirect" on search engines to get more information.
    Last edited by RattleSN4K3; 07-23-2012 at 11:53 PM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

I have 100mbps to the server so it should be fine as far as bandwidth goes, cpu should be able to handle it too once I shut down my Ultima Online server (currently running in a VM on that box). Guess I will create a separate folder and just make sure to copy the files to it as well as to the server's proper path, or create symlinks. I'll play around with that and see how things go.

MSgt. Shooter Person

I made a separate redirect folder under a different DNS hostname and put the files in the folder (testing with only one map right now) and it's still not working, anything else I need to do?

This is the setting:

Code:
    [IpDrv.HTTPDownload]
    RedirectToURL=http://redirect.ut3.uovalor.com/data/
    UseCompression=False
    I turned Allowdownloads off so I can rule out that it's downloading through redirection. If I turn it on it downloads but at the super slow rate.

Also I noticed lot of other settings that may help speed things up:

Code:
    [IpDrv.TcpNetDriver]
    AllowDownloads=False
    ConnectionTimeout=30.0
    InitialConnectTimeout=200.0
    AckTimeout=1.0
    KeepAliveTime=0.2
    MaxClientRate=15000
    MaxInternetClientRate=10000
    RelevantTimeout=5.0
    SpawnPrioritySeconds=1.0
    ServerTravelPause=4.0
    NetServerMaxTickRate=30
    LanServerMaxTickRate=35
    IdleServerTickRate=30
    DownloadManagers=IpDrv.HTTPDownload
    DownloadManagers=Engine.ChannelDownload
    NetConnectionClassName=IpDrv.TcpipConnection

Is there any of those settings I can change?

Oh another thing I noticed is the server log says this when a map loads:

Code:
    Log: FHttpDownload resolved gamecontent.unrealtournament3.com (199.255.40.77)
    Could it be that it's trying to redirect to that hostname? Or is that for something else?

Also, I don't see anything in my web server logs, so it does not look like it's even trying. The problem is elsewhere. (perhaps what I just mentioned above)
    Last edited by Red Squirrel; 05-23-2012 at 08:50 PM.

Hmm. I created a basic redirect on my PC and connected with another PC (LAN) to this server.
    I used the retail version of UT3 running as a dedicated server and the only thing i had to do is, adding the "[IpDrv.HTTPDownload]" block and set the AllowDownloads property to false. I used an Apache server for the redirect (basic XAMPP installation with allowing local IPs).
    I tried 3 different things and all of these were working as expected.

1. No redirect. Allowdownloads to true. Client could donwnload the file.
    2. No redirect. Allowdownloads to false. Client aborted loading the map due to download failure.
    3. Set redirect. Allowdownloads to false. Client downloaded the file. The access log of apache has a new entry of that client.

There is no additional server log in UT3 for having a redirect configured - on my side.

Try to delete all config files and create the basic setup in order to test if it is running well with a minimal configured system.

MSgt. Shooter Person

All config files? Wont that break everything? Everything IS stock, other than a few added maps, which are only addition of new files.

Now what confuses me is that some of the files are in the server's folder, while some are in the home directory under a hidden file. Is this normal? The file I have to edit is in that home folder, and is not in the server's folder. The server is running under that user though, and editing the file does seem to have some kind of impact (the downloads=false/true option).

MSgt. Shooter Person

Oh and this is my startup string, could a flag in there have anything to do with why it's not working?

Code:
    #!/bin/sh

{
    date
    echo
    ./ut3 Server VCTF-Necropolis?Game=UTGameContent.UTVehicleCTFGame_Content?GameMode=2?Numplay=4?MaxPlayers=64?NumPublicConnections=24?NumPrivateConnections=2?MinNetPlayers=1?bIsDedicated=true?bUsesStats=true?ForceRespawn=0?bShouldAdvertise=false?PureServer=1?bIsLanMatch=false?bAllowJoinInProgress=true?AdminName=********?AdminPassword=******** -Login=******** -Password=******** -Log=myserver.log -multihome=96.45.178.186 -unattended
    } > server.log 2>&1

MSgt. Shooter Person

Ok I give up on redirection, everything I try is not working. I reverted all the stuff I did from file backup.

Is there not any settings I can change to just make the normal way faster? I see a bunch of settings under [IpDrv.TcpNetDriver] that seem to have to do with download rate. I just don't know what the units are (bytes, KB? MB?) and what each one does. There's tick rate etc...

Would increasing any of these help?

Is there a way to find out what version server I'm running? Maybe I need to apply a patch or something?

MSgt. Shooter Person

When you are downloading, does it move like 0.1, 0.2 and then 0.3 or is it jumping like 0.8, 1.6 and then 4.5?

The first lines of the generated log file of UT3 (under "UTGame\Logs") should name you the build version.

There are some settings to tweak in order to increase the download/upload speed. But i don't know these properties atm.

It looks like your adjusments are not recognized. If you set the downloads options to false, and you have a custom map loaded which the client does not have, the client should not able to join that server. Check that.
    Furthermore, i looks like your system is using a profile folder. It's better to have files at one place. You can add "-nohomedir" into your command line which forces UT3 to only take the files in that installation directory.
    If this is not working, the file structure is not the right one.

Redirected servers for downloadable files is the best method to allow custom downloads.

MSgt. Shooter Person

It downloads at 0.1, 0.2 etc... I did not really leave it further as it's more than a minute per iteration. If I leave it overnight it does eventually download.

If I set AllowDownloads to false then I get an error that the file is not found. Yet if I look at my apache logs, I see no attempt to even look for the file.

Here is a server log, maybe it will provide something that can help point at why it's not working:

Code:
    [ut3user@shared2 Binaries]$ ./startserver.sh &
    [1] 8241
    [ut3user@shared2 Binaries]$ tail -f server.log
    Fri May 25 00:05:37 EDT 2012

Init: Version: 3808
    Init: Epic Internal: 0
    Init: Compiled: Apr 22 2009 04:27:51
    Init: Command line: Server VCTF-Kargomod?Game=UTGameContent.UTVehicleCTFGame_Content?GameMode=2?Numplay=4?MaxPlayers=64?NumPublicConnections=24?NumPrivateConnections=2?MinNetPlayers=1?bIsDedicated=true?bUsesStats=true?ForceRespawn=0?bShouldAdvertise=false?PureServer=1?bIsLanMatch=false?bAllowJoinInProgress=true?AdminName=admin?AdminPassword=******** -Login=******** -Password=******** -Log=myserver.log -multihome=96.45.178.186 -unattended
    Init: Base directory: /home/ut3user/ut3server/ut3-dedicated/Binaries/
    Init: Character set: Unicode
    Log: GConfig::LoadFile has loaded file:  ../UTGame/Config/UTEditor.ini
    Log: GConfig::LoadFile has loaded file:  ../UTGame/Config/UTEditorUserSettings.ini
    Log: GConfig::LoadFile has loaded file:  ../UTGame/Config/UTEngine.ini
    Log: GConfig::LoadFile has loaded file:  ../UTGame/Config/UTGame.ini
    Log: GConfig::LoadFile has loaded file:  ../UTGame/Config/UTInput.ini
    Log: GConfig::LoadFile has loaded file:  ../UTGame/Config/UTUI.ini
    Log: GConfig::LoadFile has loaded file:  ../UTGame/Config/UTMapLists.ini
    Log: GConfig::LoadFile has loaded file:  ../UTGame/Config/UTVote.ini
    Init: File handle limit is soft=(1024), hard=(1024).
    Init: Computer: unknown
    Init: User: ut3user
    Init: BSD Sockets initialized
    Init: Presizing for 83221 objects not considered by GC, pre-allocating 0 bytes.
    Init: Object subsystem initialized
    Init: Startup System Settings:
    Init: System Settings:
    Init:   StaticDecals=true
    Init:   DynamicDecals=true
    Init:   DynamicLights=true
    Init:   DynamicShadows=true
    Init:   LightEnvironmentShadows=true
    Init:   CompositeDynamicLights=false
    Init:   DirectionalLightmaps=true
    Init:   MotionBlur=false
    Init:   DepthOfField=true
    Init:   Bloom=true
    Init:   QualityBloom=true
    Init:   Distortion=true
    Init:   DropParticleDistortion=false
    Init:   SpeedTreeLeaves=true
    Init:   SpeedTreeFronds=true
    Init:   OnlyStreamInTextures=false
    Init:   LensFlares=true
    Init:   FogVolumes=true
    Init:   FloatingPointRenderTargets=true
    Init:   Trilinear=false
    Init:   OneFrameThreadLag=true
    Init:   UseVsync=false
    Init:   UpscaleScreenPercentage=true
    Init:   Fullscreen=false
    Init:   AllowD3D10=true
    Init:   EnableHighPolyChars=false
    Init:   SkeletalMeshLODBias=0
    Init:   ParticleLODBias=0
    Init:   DetailMode=2
    Init:   ShadowFilterQualityBias=0
    Init:   MaxAnisotropy=4
    Init:   MaxMultisamples=1
    Init:   MinShadowResolution=32
    Init:   MaxShadowResolution=512
    Init:   ResX=800
    Init:   ResY=600
    Init:   ScreenPercentage=100.000
    Init:   SceneCaptureStreamingMultiplier=1.000
    Init:   FoliageDrawRadiusMultiplier=1.000
    Init:   ShadowTexelsPerPixel=2.000
    Log:    TEXTUREGROUP_World: (MinLODSize=   1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0)
    Log:    TEXTUREGROUP_WorldNormalMap: (MinLODSize=   1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0)
    Log:    TEXTUREGROUP_WorldSpecular: (MinLODSize=   1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0)
    Log:    TEXTUREGROUP_Character: (MinLODSize=   1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0)
    Log:    TEXTUREGROUP_CharacterNormalMap: (MinLODSize=   1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0)
    Log:    TEXTUREGROUP_CharacterSpecular: (MinLODSize=   1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0)
    Log:    TEXTUREGROUP_Weapon: (MinLODSize=   1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0)
    Log:    TEXTUREGROUP_WeaponNormalMap: (MinLODSize=   1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0)
    Log:    TEXTUREGROUP_WeaponSpecular: (MinLODSize=   1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0)
    Log:    TEXTUREGROUP_Vehicle: (MinLODSize=   1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0)
    Log:    TEXTUREGROUP_VehicleNormalMap: (MinLODSize=   1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0)
    Log:    TEXTUREGROUP_VehicleSpecular: (MinLODSize=   1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0)
    Log:    TEXTUREGROUP_Effects: (MinLODSize=   1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0)
    Log:    TEXTUREGROUP_Skybox: (MinLODSize=   1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0)
    Log:    TEXTUREGROUP_UI: (MinLODSize=   1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0)
    Log:    TEXTUREGROUP_LightAndShadowMap: (MinLODSize=   1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0)
    Log:    TEXTUREGROUP_RenderTarget: (MinLODSize=   1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0)
    Init: Friendly System Settings:
    Init:   TextureDetail=Level5
    Init:   WorldDetail=Level5
    Init:   bUseVSync=0
    Init:   bUseMSAA=0
    Init:   ScreenPercentage=100
    Init:   UpscaleScreenPercentage=1
    Init:   ResX= 800
    Init:   ResY= 600
    Init:   Fullscreen=0
    Init:   AllowMotionBlur=0
    Log: Initializing FaceFX...
    Log: FaceFX initialized:
    Log:     version  1.710000
    Log:     licensee Unreal Engine 3 Licensee
    Log:     project  Unreal Engine 3 Project
    Log: GConfig::Find has loaded file:  ..\Engine\Localization/int/Core.int
    Log: GConfig::Find has loaded file:  ..\Engine\Localization/int/Engine.int
    Log: Loaded shader cache RefShaderCache-PC-D3D-SM3.CacheObject: 27892 shaders(2 legacy, 0 redundant), 2950 materials
    Log: GConfig::Find has loaded file:  ..\Engine\Localization/int/UnrealScriptTest.int
    Log: GConfig::Find has loaded file:  ..\UTGame\Localization/int/UTGame.int
    Log: GConfig::LoadFile has loaded file:  ../UTGame/Config/UTWeapon.ini
    Log: GConfig::LoadFile has loaded file:  ../UTGame/Config/UTCustomChar.ini
    Log: GConfig::LoadFile associated file:  ../UTGame/Config/UTMap.ini
    Log: GConfig::LoadFile has loaded file:  ../UTGame/Config/UTWeb.ini
    Log: GConfig::Find has loaded file:  ..\Engine\Localization/int/OnlineSubsystemGameSpy.int
    Log: GConfig::Find has loaded file:  ..\UTGame\Localization/int/UTGameContent.int
    Init: Version: 3808
    Init: Epic Internal: 0
    Init: Compiled: Apr 22 2009 04:34:47
    Init: Command line:  VCTF-Kargomod?Game=UTGameContent.UTVehicleCTFGame_Content?GameMode=2?Numplay=4?MaxPlayers=64?NumPublicConnections=24?NumPrivateConnections=2?MinNetPlayers=1?bIsDedicated=true?bUsesStats=true?ForceRespawn=0?bShouldAdvertise=false?PureServer=1?bIsLanMatch=false?bAllowJoinInProgress=true?AdminName=admin?AdminPassword=******** -Login=******** -Password=******** -Log=myserver.log -multihome=96.45.178.186 -unattended
    Init: Base directory: /home/ut3user/ut3server/ut3-dedicated/Binaries/
    Init: Character set: Unicode
    Log: Executing Class Engine.ServerCommandlet
    Log: Initializing Game Engine...
    Init: UEngine initialized
    Log: Looking for DLC...
    Log: Object size..............: 60
    Log: Actor size...............: 436
    Log: ActorComponent size......: 88
    Log: PrimitiveComponent size..: 448
    Log: GConfig::Find has loaded file:  ../UTGame/Config/UTUIDataStore_Registry_0.ini
    Log: GConfig::Find has loaded file:  ../UTGame/Config/UTWebAdmin.ini
    Log: GConfig::Find has loaded file:  ../UTGame/Config/CTF-GRD-Diesel[UGM].ini
    Log: GConfig::Find has loaded file:  ../UTGame/Config/WAR-UGL-CrossF1re.ini
    Log: GConfig::Find has loaded file:  ../UTGame/Config/VCTF-Alexandria.ini
    Log: GConfig::Find has loaded file:  ../UTGame/Config/CTF-GRD-OceanRelic[UGM].ini
    Log: GConfig::Find has loaded file:  ../UTGame/Config/CTF-GRD-Sentinel[UGM].ini
    Log: GConfig::Find has loaded file:  ../UTGame/Config/VCTF-CBP3-TheDig.ini
    Log: GConfig::Find has loaded file:  ../UTGame/Config/CTF-GRD-Gateway[UGM].ini
    Log: GConfig::Find has loaded file:  ../UTGame/Config/UThPCM_Script_2009A05M25D.ini
    Log: GConfig::Find has loaded file:  ../UTGame/Config/CTF-GRD-Arsenal[UGM].ini
    Log: GConfig::Find has loaded file:  ../UTGame/Config/WAR-UGL-DryIce-Beta3.ini
    Log: GConfig::Find has loaded file:  ../UTGame/Config/CTF-GRD-Deimos[UGM].ini
    Log: GConfig::Find has loaded file:  ../UTGame/Config/CTF-GRD-Turbine[UGM].ini
    Log: GConfig::Find has loaded file:  ../UTGame/Config/DM-WhiteRealm.ini
    Log: GConfig::Find has loaded file:  ../UTGame/Config/CTF-GRD-Biohazard[UGM].ini
    Log: GConfig::Find has loaded file:  ../UTGame/Config/VCTF-RocketForst.ini
    Log: GConfig::Find has loaded file:  ../UTGame/Config/CTF-GRD-EdenInc[UGM].ini
    Log: GConfig::Find has loaded file:  ../UTGame/Config/CTF-GRD-Darkmatch[UGM].ini
    Log: GConfig::Find has loaded file:  ../UTGame/Config/CTF-GRD-Fearless[UGM].ini
    Log: GConfig::Find has loaded file:  ../UTGame/Config/CTF-GRD-RisingSun[UGM].ini
    Log: GConfig::Find has loaded file:  ../UTGame/Config/CTF-GRD-ShangriLa[UGM].ini
    Log: GConfig::Find has loaded file:  ../UTGame/Config/VCTF-Kargomod.ini
    Log: GConfig::Find has loaded file:  ../UTGame/Config/WAR-UGL-Dawn-Beta2.ini
    Log: GConfig::Find has loaded file:  ../UTGame/Config/VCTF-Valhalla_2010.ini
    Log: GConfig::Find has loaded file:  ../UTGame/Config/CTF-GRD-KBarge[UGM].ini
    Log: GConfig::Find has loaded file:  ../UTGame/Config/CTF-GRD-CarbonFire[UGM].ini
    Log: GConfig::Find has loaded file:  ../UTGame/Config/CTF-GRD-Sanctuary[UGM].ini
    Log: GConfig::Find has loaded file:  ../UTGame/Config/WAR-Sentinels.ini
    Log: GConfig::Find has loaded file:  ../UTGame/Config/UTNyan.ini
    Log: GConfig::Find has loaded file:  ../UTGame/Config/CTF-GRD-Defiance[UGM].ini
    Log: GConfig::Find has loaded file:  ../UTGame/Config/VCTF-Sidewinder.ini
    Log: GConfig::Find has loaded file:  ../UTGame/Config/CTF-GRD-Deck[UGM].ini
    Log: GConfig::Find has loaded file:  ../UTGame/Config/CTF-GRD-Morbias[UGM].ini
    Log: GConfig::Find has loaded file:  ../UTGame/Config/CTF-GRD-HeatRay[UGM].ini
    Log: Performing DNS lookup for stunserver.org
    Log: Browse: VCTF-Kargomod?Name=Player?team=255?Game=UTGameContent.UTVehicleCTFGame_Content?GameMode=2?Numplay=4?MaxPlayers=64?NumPublicConnections=24?NumPrivateConnections=2?MinNetPlayers=1?bIsDedicated=true?bUsesStats=true?ForceRespawn=0?bShouldAdvertise=false?PureServer=1?bIsLanMatch=false?bAllowJoinInProgress=true?AdminName=admin?AdminPassword=********
    Log: Award progress has now been fully reenabled!
    Log: LoadMap: VCTF-Kargomod?Name=Player?team=255?Game=UTGameContent.UTVehicleCTFGame_Content?GameMode=2?Numplay=4?MaxPlayers=64?NumPublicConnections=24?NumPrivateConnections=2?MinNetPlayers=1?bIsDedicated=true?bUsesStats=true?ForceRespawn=0?bShouldAdvertise=false?PureServer=1?bIsLanMatch=false?bAllowJoinInProgress=true?AdminName=admin?AdminPassword=********
    Log: Game class is 'UTVehicleCTFGame_Content'
    Init: Sockets: Socket queue 262142 / 262142
    Log: NetMode is now 1
    Log: Primary PhysX scene will be in software.
    Log: Creating Primary PhysX Scene.
    *** WARNING - PATHS MAY NOT BE VALID ***
    Log: Bringing World VCTF-Kargomod.TheWorld up for play (30) at 2012.05.25-00.06.53
    ScriptLog: MinNetPlayers:  1
    ScriptLog: Current map is not the maplist's active map, updating maplist
    UTVoting: Game voting is enabled
    UTVoting: Map voting is enabled
    UTVoting: Kick voting is enabled
    ScriptLog: Web Server Created http://96.45.178.186:7780 Port: 7780 MaxCon 18 ExpirationSecs 86400 Enabled True
    Log: GConfig::Find has loaded file:  ..\UTGame\Localization/int/WebAdmin.int
    WebAdmin: Starting UT3 WebAdmin v1.17 - 2009-09-13 20:13:18 +0000
    WebAdmin: Creating IWebAdminAuth instance from: BasicWebAdminAuth
    WebAdmin: Creating ISessionHandler instance from: SessionHandler
    WebAdmin: Updating news...
    Log: Bringing up level for play took: 16.287404
    Log: ########### Finished loading level: 25.820315 seconds
    Init: Game engine initialized
    Log: Initializing Game Engine Completed
    NetComeGo: Open TheWorld  208.101.85.148:4152
    Log: FSTUNClient resolved stunserver.org (132.177.123.13)
    Log: FSTUNClient starting test 1...
    WebAdmin: Creating team chat proxies
    Log: FSTUNClient test complete, NAT is open.
    ScriptLog: Cut down URL ?Name=Player?team=255?Game=UTGameContent.UTVehicleCTFGame_Content?Numplay=4?MaxPlayers=64?NumPublicConnections=24?NumPrivateConnections=2?MinNetPlayers=1?bIsDedicated=true?bUsesStats=true?ForceRespawn=0?bShouldAdvertise=false?PureServer=1?bIsLanMatch=false?bAllowJoinInProgress=true?AdminName=admin?AdminPassword=********
    ScriptLog: Cut down URL ?Name=Player?team=255?Game=UTGameContent.UTVehicleCTFGame_Content?Numplay=4?MaxPlayers=64?NumPublicConnections=24?NumPrivateConnections=2?MinNetPlayers=1?bIsDedicated=true?bUsesStats=true?ForceRespawn=0?bShouldAdvertise=false?PureServer=1?bIsLanMatch=false?bAllowJoinInProgress=true?AdminName=admin?AdminPassword=********
    NetComeGo: Close TcpipConnection_0 208.101.85.148:4152

[ut3user@shared2 Binaries]$

Most notable is the entries:

Shouldn't that be saying my url?

Also this one:

*** WARNING - PATHS MAY NOT BE VALID ***

Which paths is it talking about?

My redirect is http://redirect.ut3.uovalor.com/redirect/. I read somewhere that it has to be in a folder called redirect so I did that, but still does not work. I also ensured to have the trailling slash in the ini file.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Just to make sure, you have done everything in the first post?
    http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/...1#post25279830

Quote Originally Posted by Red Squirrel View Post
    It downloads at 0.1, 0.2 etc...
    Something is wrong with your redirect, the fact you are finding no entries in apache shows that. Try changing your redirect to http://www.uovalor.com/redirect/ or http://www.uovalor.com/redirect
    It has been awhile since I setup redirect on a server but I remember UT3 having issues with the directory and the / at the end or not at the end (been awhile, I forget) when written in the UTEngine.ini file, maybe it having the redirect.ut3 is messing it up too. Till you know that the files are being transfered through redirect properly, leave AllowDownloads=False
    When it downloads like 0.1 and 0.2, the redirect is not configured properly.

It doesn't need to be redirect, I had mine UT3 on my old server. You can change it to what you want.
    Last edited by wikkid; 05-25-2012 at 02:19 AM.

I configured a redirect locally. It worked fine. So i change the redirect path to your server. It failed in downloading the file. So wikkid should be right, something's wrong with your redirect.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Yep I did everything on that page. With AllowDownloads=False I just get an error that it can't find the file indicating that the redirect is still not working. With it to true, then it works but very slow (not using redirect).

So does it not work with subdomains? uovalor.com actually goes to a completely different site so I really don't want to use that, but I guess if I have to I will. I'll try that and see. Though, shouldn't I still be seeing server logs at least?

MSgt. Shooter Person

I tried as a test to put just uovalor.com and put the files in that proper part of the server. Still no go.

I also tried -nohomedir but that broke a whole whack of stuff such as the web interface, and it still did not work. The thing that gets me is, it's not even trying. I see no entry in apache. If I do a packet sniff I don't even see any traffic on port 80 originating from my client. So whatever tells the client to download there, is not actually doing it.

Also what does this line mean?

Log: Performing DNS lookup for stunserver.org

Is that a redirect? If yes, then it's not even looking at the url that I set. How do I force it to read the UTEngine file properly? It is reading it to some extent as if I disable downloads it errors out, and if I enable it it downloads (but at like 10 bytes per sec). So it's the redirect part that's not working, but why?

Edit: Wait, am I suppose to be doing these changes on the server, or on the client? I tried to do them on the client too and it did not work though. The tutorials are very basic and don't seem to go in much details. There must be something I'm missing.

Looking at the client log, I see something interesting:

Code:
    Log: Browse: ut3.uovalor.com/UTFrontEnd?Name=redsquirrelftw?team=255
    Init: WinSock: Socket queue 32768 / 32768
    Log: Resolved ut3.uovalor.com (96.45.178.186)
    Log: FHttpDownload resolved  (10.1.8.255)
    Error: Error deleting file '' (GetLastError: 3)
    Error: Error deleting file '' (GetLastError: 3)
    Log: -->"No connection" error [Downloading package 'VCTF-Kargomod' failed: Error opening file]
    ScriptLog: NOTIFYCONNECTIONERROR UTEntryPlayerController_0::NotifyConnectionError Message:'Downloading package 'VCTF-Kargomod' failed: Error opening file' Title:'Connection failed'
    ScriptLog: UTEntryPlayerController::QuitToMainMenu() - Quitting to main menu.
    Log: Pending connect to 'ut3.uovalor.com/VCTF-Kargomod?Name=redsquirrelftw?team=255' failed; Downloading package 'VCTF-Kargomod' failed: Error opening file
    So first off, it looks like it's ignoring the path I set (it's actually ut3redirect.uovalor.com) and second of all, it's adding a request string at the end of the file name. I tried changing the http path so that ut3.uovalor.com DOES go to my redirect server, but that does not work either, and again, no apache log to show for it.

Also, here's an other thing, is it really suppose to be HTTP or is it suppose to be FTP, or some other protocol? The tutorials don't really explicitly mention this, but I assumed it was http as the examples show a http:// path.
    Last edited by Red Squirrel; 07-15-2012 at 10:06 PM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Another thing I'm thinking, is this maybe a feature that does not work on the Linux version of the server? Also is the server source code available by chance? It would make troubleshooting much easier.

MSgt. Shooter Person

I'm still fighting with this. What else can I try? Is there a patch I need or something?

The only thing I've found is to edit the UTEngine.ini but obviously there's more to it than that since it's still not working. I have it set to http://ut.uovalor.com and changed the virtualhost for that sub domain to point to the file list, still not working. Does the file list have to be plain text? Like should I add an index file that just has one path per line? That's one part that is not explained. I'm just using the standard HTTP listings format, but maybe that's not right?

Either way, I see no apache logs, so it's not even trying to download. There has to be something else I have to turn on for it to work.

MSgt. Shooter Person

I'm still fighting with this. What else can I try? Is there a patch I need or something?

The only thing I've found is to edit the UTEngine.ini but obviously there's more to it than that since it's still not working. I have it set to http://ut3.uovalor.com and changed the virtualhost for that sub domain to point to the file list, still not working. Does the file list have to be plain text? Like should I add an index file that just has one path per line? That's one part that is not explained. I'm just using the standard HTTP listings format, but maybe that's not right?

Either way, I see no apache logs, so it's not even trying to download. There has to be something else I have to turn on for it to work.
    Last edited by Red Squirrel; 07-23-2012 at 10:58 PM.

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: WICKEDHQ PSN ID: unrealloco

dont forget the / at the end of http://ut3.uovalor.com

http://ut3.uovalor.com/

on my old server i compressed all the files

[IpDrv.HTTPDownload]
    RedirectToURL=http://wickedinsanegaming.com/ut3uz3/
    UseCompression=True
    ProxyServerPort=
    ProxyServerHost=
    GameName=ut

use a compress tool for all your files it wont compress it as good as the old ut games but it helps a little

MSgt. Shooter Person

Yeah in my config I have the /. So do I have to use compression for it to work? What tool do I use to compress it?

MSgt. Shooter Person

OMG IT WORKS!

adding GameName=ut Is what did the trick. So this is what I have:

Code:
    [IpDrv.HTTPDownload]
    RedirectToURL=http://ut3.uovalor.com/
    UseCompression=False
    GameName=ut
    Thanks for the help!

MSgt. Shooter Person

Turns out it only works for maps and not other stuff. Is there any other steps to make it work for mutators, custom weps and such?

Strange, try to compress them.
    Packages, maps and scripts are basically the same structure. If it's working for one type it should work for the others.
    Did you try to use a different HTTP server?

RattleSN4K3 is right, if it works for maps it should work for the other stuff.

- Some files do not reduce in size that much, maybe some just do not reduce at all.-
    if i recall correctly, the tool does not reduce files as dramaticaly as previous unreal engine decompress tools.

edit;
    lol- unrealloco already said that ^^ oops sorry for repetition

MSgt. Shooter Person

cool this helps alot.