Default Gravity Shock Rilfe WiP

Hey, I'm somewhat new here, so I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this (I'm not sure whether it should go here, or in UDK). I've recently been trying to make a Gravity Rifle, and I was wondering if there is a way to make momentum apply only to the person that fired the shot. I'm trying to make a grapple function for it, so I figured if there was a way to do it, I'd just put very long range -momentum on the shots. Thanks in advance, and if this is the wrong place to post this, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Yargi View Post
    Hey, I'm somewhat new here,
    Howdie. I like to see new guys

so I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this (I'm not sure whether it should go here, or in UDK).
    It depends on what you're going to do.
    If you're going to create a weapon for UT3, you're right in this sub-forum.

I've recently been trying to make a Gravity Rifle, and I was wondering if there is a way to make momentum apply only to the person that fired the shot. I'm trying to make a grapple function for it, so I figured if there was a way to do it, I'd just put very long range -momentum on the shots.
    The basic implementation of a Grappling gun or a Gravity rifle is already shipped with UT3. You can look at the PhysicsGun (UTGameContent.UTWeap_PhysicsGun).

The alternative fire would apply a momentum to the actor you're looking at. The primary fire grapple an actor and the owner of the weapon has the ability to move this Actor around. The grappling function is not working online as the force the weapon owner is dealing to the grappled actor is not replicated (and some more things to allow online feature which aren't replicated).

May you explain your idea. I could give you more hints where to look at or a simple script.

I didn't think about looking at the PhysicsGun. What I have for the gun so for is basically just the ShockBeam for primary pulls enemies in, and is what I was thinking about making into a grapple, and the ShockBall alternate fire has larger knockback then normal, but is a lot weaker. The ShockCombo is fairly weak, but has large AoE and pulls people in, meaning you can do stuff like pull people out of hiding spots, or fling yourself into the air and onto ledges/platforms you normally can't get to, or have to take a different route to get to. I was thinking about having the ShockBeam have -momentum that applied only to the user, making it act kind of like a grapple beam. The problem is that I'm not sure how to make the -momentum apply to the user only (or just apply a lot more to the user then to other people), and I'm not sure how to give a instanthit type weapon AoE momentum effects...

What i read so far is, you're trying to do a similar weapon like the Vortex Gun. You may have a look at this weapon.

http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/...-PICS-FINAL-PC

------------------
    Still not knowing what you're what the features of this weapons should do.
    AoE?

OK, so it's a similar concept to the Vortex Gun. Basically mine is a modded Shock Rifle, meaning it's got the Shock Beam as the primary. I was just wondering if there was a way to make the Shock Beam pull the user towards it without pulling everyone around it in too. Oh, and AoE is just Area of Effect, basically make it have a larger radius that the damage applies to. I just find AoE easier to type. The alternate fire on this gun, like the Shock Rifle, fires a Shock Ball, which just has more knockback then the original one did. If you do a Shock Combo, it doesn't do much damage, but it has a large radius and pulls everything towards it, meaning you can use it to fling things (yourself included) through the air, possibly to areas you normally can't get/better sniper spots/etc. I don't really know the coding for .ini files very well, so I figured I'd ask and see if there was a simple way to do that.
    Last edited by Yargi; 05-20-2012 at 07:32 AM.

Do you know any object-oriented prgramming (OOP) language. You cannot tweak a weapon by modifying the ini file. You need to code the gun with UnrealScript.

For the primary fire you need to look at the InstantHitMomentum variable. The variable is used in ProcessInstantHit. You could bascially mirror the value of the vector which is used for the TakeDamage function of an actor.

So, it could look like this:
    Code:
    simulated function ProcessInstantHit( byte FiringMode, ImpactInfo Impact )
    {
        if (Impact.HitActor != None)
        {
            Impact.HitActor.TakeDamage( InstantHitDamage[CurrentFireMode], Instigator.Controller,
                            Impact.HitLocation, InstantHitMomentum[FiringMode] * (-Impact.RayDir),
                            InstantHitDamageTypes[FiringMode], Impact.HitInfo, self );
        }
    }
    The secondary fire is a bit more complex. My approach would be too create an own projectile. While this projectile flies through the world, it checks all overlapping Pawns and applies an impulse to the player "to fling" him into the core. This code for applying a force to overlapping Pawns can be taken from the Darkwalker (or Hero/Titan).

If you don't know aynthing about coding a mutator, you can check this tutorial. That article is a bit outdated, but works fine.
    http://www.jadeskaggs.com/2009/03/26...-superstinger/