Skaarj

Default The Fallen [Short film with UDK]

I wanted to share with you guys my very first small project with UDK

The purpose for this project was mainly to learn the basis of matineee and kismet, and to be able to create something without any new custom assets by tweaking and breaking all the bundled ones.

I hope you enjoy it!
    Last edited by AlejoS; 07-15-2012 at 09:05 PM.
    Level Designer - Programmer

@alejosilos
    Youtube Channel

God King

Very nice I liked it a lot! Great use of matinee. I felt the dropped object should have bounced up a little bit, to make it look like a hard impact.

Redeemer
    Metro Manila, Philippines, Southeast Asia

Thumbs up

Nice one, more like the Demo Guy one.
    Last edited by Private Tux; 05-15-2012 at 11:06 AM.

Skaarj

Thanks for your feedback guys

I thought about bouncing the armor... but since it´s a really slow and short motion, I thought it might look a bit weird... but yeah.. I should have figured how to solve it.
    Last edited by AlejoS; 07-15-2012 at 09:06 PM.

@alejosilos
    Youtube Channel

Marrow Fiend

nice one i like it
    UT40K:The Chosen - Warhammer 40,000 for UDK
    ut40kgeodav - UE4 Tutorials
    UT3 Tutorials - Characters - Weapons - Vehicles - FaceFX
    UDK Tutorials - Basics - Vehicles - Characters - Weapons

Okay its decent matinee, not the best, but considering you used stock assets there's really not many degrees of freedom. But I don't understand the narrative that it seems your trying to weave together with these montages. So, let me try here (calling that pensive guy holding that object the protagonist):
    It starts out with a pensive protagonist sitting in front of a building (0:07-0:30)
    Two units infiltrate the compound (0:32-0:34)
    The two units approach the same building the protagonist was sitting in front off (the audience learns that the protagonist and the antagonist occupy the same space now, but are not yet sure if time differences are at play here) (0:44-0:47)
    The protagonist stands up (0:59) but why?
    The infiltrators throw a grenade at some units (1:02). Are those units on the same side as the protagonist?
    (1:06-1:19) What is the protagonist doing? It seems he is the guardian of the building ie defending it but despite missing the infiltrators (which at this point seems to be occurring in a different time frame) he senses danger and so feels the need to stand up and position himself atop the stairs?

I really don't understand the relationship between any of these characters. Cool matinee, but the narrative here is downright confusing.

While I don't understand it, I feel you've achieved your goals of learning matinee and kismet. For a first project, it's pretty nice and well put together.

Skaarj

Thanks for your feedback I believe what you didn´t understand is that one of the infiltrators is the protagonist, who is holding his fallen mate´s armour. He is just remembering what just happened.

I wanted to override the color of the infiltration sequences, to enphaseze the flashback feeling... but I couldnt get it work so... too bad on my side. If you have another look to the vidoe, you´ll see it has more sense now
    Last edited by AlejoS; 07-15-2012 at 09:08 PM.

@alejosilos
    Youtube Channel

The Sacrifice

I liked it and had no problems understanding what was going on . Also good choice of music helps set the melancholy mood of .... well the protagonists feelings.

Perhaps if u had the memories take place during the day and the lonely survivor thinking back at night, it may have made it easier for some folks like Gakushya here to follow along. or something...

Anyway I liked it man make another !

Skaarj

Thx

I´m already thinking about my next small project... this time i´m gonna work with another 3D artist... With custom assets
    Last edited by AlejoS; 07-15-2012 at 09:07 PM.

@alejosilos
    Youtube Channel

Skaarj

The video got to the 1000+ milestone in such a short time I wanted to share it with you guys

Thanks a lot for all the views and feedback!

I´m already working on a full playable level with custom assets only. Still in preproduction but... I´ll keep you up to date
    Last edited by AlejoS; 07-15-2012 at 09:05 PM.

@alejosilos
    Youtube Channel

The Sacrifice

Very good, i hope that you make some more vidoes like this, i think that it is very good, well done!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Visit my Website: http://www.greenfishstudios.wix.com/info

Contact: If you are in need of any help, or if you have any questions about 3d Modelling, or you need information about using the Unreal Engine, then please make sure to contact me at the following address, as i would be happy to help you out!: GreenFishStudios@live.com

Youtube Channel Address: http://www.youtube.com/user/GreenFi5hStudios

I will be able to provide you with any support, or queries that you have, so please make sure to contact me, either on the forums via PM, or to my business address, and i will provide you with a reply, within 48 hours!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------