MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: PATRICK KERR1 PSN ID: PATRICKKERR1

Default Gears of War: A Sales History

Some pretty interesting sales figures here, the link actually has sales charts.

Gears of war 3 is doing very well for the short time it's been out.

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/2501...sales-history/

"Welcome to this week’s edition of “A Sales History.” This week we will be taking a look at the sales history of the Gears of War franchise developed by Epic. Last week we looked at sales history of God of War and the week before that Grand Theft Auto. If there is a particular franchise (no matter how obscure) you want to see the sales history for, requests are always welcome.

The Gears of War franchise is a third person shooter that is currently a Microsoft exclusive. The three games in the series have all been released on the Xbox 360. It is also the second biggest Xbox franchise, behind only Halo.

Sales Overview

Gears of War Sales Chronological Order

As you can see from the graph above, the Gears of War franchise has seen steady sales. The numbers are total sales and Gears of War 3 has only been out for 31 week, compared to two and a half and four and a half years for the other games. To see sales for the equal time frames look below. Gears of War 2 has sold more than 500,000 units than the original game, which does show that the franchise has grown in popularity from the first to the second game.

Gears of War Sales Chart

In the chart above, the Gears of War franchise has achieved lifetime to date sales of 17.77 million. Gears of War 3 is currently selling more than the previous two games. It sold 11,025 in the most recent week, while Gears of War sold 1,551 and Gears of War 2 sold 3,307. If it continues to outsell the first game on an average of 10,000 units a week, it will take about a year for it to outsell it. Likewise if it outsells the second game on average of 8,000 units a week, it will take nearly three years to outsell it. With the current generation in its twilight years, it is unlikely Gears of War 3 will outsell Gears of War 2, however it will most likely outsell the first game by the time it stops selling.

Weekly Sales

Gears of War Weekly Sales

Looking at the weekly sales of the three games shows a distinct pattern. Each game in the first game outsold the previous game. Gears of War sold 607,265 in its first week. Gears of War 2 outsold the first by three times in its first week, with sales of 1,868,440. Gears of War 3 first week sales outsold the previous game by 60 percent, with sales of 3,020,354.

The gap between the three games has shrunk since their opening week, meaning that the games get more frontloaded which is in line with the increased user base of the Xbox 360. To make clear however the first two games were released in November, while Gears of War 3 was released in September. This explains the drop in sales from week five to nine and why the sales almost drop below Gears of War 2.

Gears of War 3 has sold 5,361,914 units to date, which is 31 weeks. Gears of War 2 sold 4,793,422 in its first 31 weeks and Gears of War sold 3,934,198 units. It took Gears of War 117 weeks to reach the same number of units sold and Gears of War 2 exactly twice as long, 62 weeks.

Predictions for Future Releases

There is currently no other Gears of War game announced; however with Gears of War 3 just released last September and each game in the series released two years apart, another game won’t be released until Holiday 2013 at the earliest. Current rumors put the release of the next generation Xbox during the same time frame, so it could mean it will be a launch title. If that is true, it would mean opening week sales ranging from 200,000 to 300,000 depending upon how many consoles Microsoft is able to ship. Lifetime sales should be in line with the rest of the franchise, again it depends on how well the console sells.

Epic could decide to wait until there are more consoles sold like with the first Gears of War which was released in the Xbox 360’s second holiday. There were 5.38 million Xbox 360’s sold at the time it was released. If the next Gears of War game is released one year after the next generation releases, opening week sales of the game should be more in line with the original Gears of War."

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: rawr of the 419

Yeah, a majority of the community believes this is a dying game and that it's sales were dismal compared to the first two entries and try to use this misinformation to speak out against features they don't like. They fail to factor in the throngs of people that refuse to play MP in order to avoid people like them or just avoid MP altogether.
    "Today, a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration – that we are all one consciousness
    experiencing itself subjectively. There's no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. Here's
    Tom with the weather." - Bill Hicks

Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by drusi View Post
    Yeah, a majority of the community believes this is a dying game and that it's sales were dismal compared to the first two entries and try to use this misinformation to speak out against features they don't like. They fail to factor in the throngs of people that refuse to play MP in order to avoid people like them or just avoid MP altogether.
    Yeah its doing good and in a year I believe it will pass the other titles in terms of sales. More people in gears MP the better.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by >I Am Legend< View Post
    Yeah its doing good and in a year I believe it will pass the other titles in terms of sales. More people in gears MP the better.
    I think it will surpass both, I was actually surprised it didn't beat the first Gears of War already given the fact of it's phenomenal Pre-orders.

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by >I Am Legend< View Post
    Gives me assurance that there will be more DLC and a few more TUs for these guys to rage about.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dixie Kid View Post
    I think it will surpass both, I was actually surprised it didn't beat the first Gears of War already given the fact of it's phenomenal Pre-orders.
    Welcome to the forums.

It had a remarkably strong start for the year that it came out in. It was up against a lot of competition and, unfortunately/fortunately depending on how you view it, the market has remained flooded with incredible titles and a lot of wrap up titles like ME3 that have kept what could be an even better fanbase otherwise preoccupied. I know it was a tossup for me.
    "Today, a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration – that we are all one consciousness
    experiencing itself subjectively. There's no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. Here's

Boomshot
    Driving a Centaur down your street all hopped up on Dizzy Juice
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Viewing the hue

Gears of war exile????? hmmmm now I must know more, what a great marketing scheme worked on me.
    Smoke Grenades, you will come to fear them.
    [[II[[]]II]]--oo--{}

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Viewing the hue View Post
    Gears of war exile????? hmmmm now I must know more, what a great marketing scheme worked on me.
    Gears Exile was going to be a Kinect title. If EPIC were smart, and they are, the company would pull all stock in Kinect since shooters have no place in that peripheral's portfolio, especially not those with MLG status. Right now and most likely until a little after the release of the next next gen consoles, EPIC will continue to ride the smartphone market and provide support for its existing titles and only work on a few more AAA games to keep their presence fresh in the 360 scene.

So far, EPIC has proven to be one of the more intelligent developers occupying the 360 space.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Welcome to the forums.

It had a remarkably strong start for the year that it came out in. It was up against a lot of competition and, unfortunately/fortunately depending on how you view it, the market has remained flooded with incredible titles and a lot of wrap up titles like ME3 that have kept what could be an even better fanbase otherwise preoccupied. I know it was a tossup for me.
    Thank you.

Boomshot
    Soloing Top Lane. Can't camp your tower I got perfect harass.

Gears Exile was going to be a Kinect title. If EPIC were smart, and they are, the company would pull all stock in Kinect since shooters have no place in that peripheral's portfolio, especially not those with MLG status. Right now and most likely until a little after the release of the next next gen consoles, EPIC will continue to ride the smartphone market and provide support for its existing titles and only work on a few more AAA games to keep their presence fresh in the 360 scene.

So far, EPIC has proven to be one of the more intelligent developers occupying the 360 space.
    Mobile markets are booming and even the PC pasture is looking a bit greener if not too much so.
    Need help with the 500 Silverback Rocket kills achievement? Visit the Silverback Service Thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Totallysafe View Post
    I have never seen someone give someone else a code because they were fed up. This is a first.
    Enjoy your LGS EXTREME NOOBHUNTER. Thanks FL4K for my Mech Baird and III LYCAN III for my SGE.