Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Administrator

Default News From Epic Games - May 2012 UDK Beta Released

Epic Games Releases May 2012 Unreal Development Kit Beta

Epic Games, Inc. has released the May 2012 Unreal Development Kit Beta, the latest version of the free edition of Unreal Engine 3 that provides access to the award-winning 3D game engine and professional toolset used in blockbuster videogame development, architectural visualization, mobile game development, 3D rendering, digital films and more. The latest UDK beta is available now at www.udk.com/download.
    RealD Integration

RealD, a leading global licensor of 3D technologies, incorporates its best-of-breed stereoscopic 3D gaming solutions into theUnreal Engine. The RealD Gaming Toolkit will allow for PC and console games to be rendered in stereo 3D and brings developers features such as depth budget allocation (DBA) and AutoCAM. Check out the full press release and download the SOL: Exodus demo showcasing the 3D implementation.

UDK Showcase: Antichamber

Antichamber is a psychological exploration game that took one look at reality, shook its head, and then decided to rewrite everything. Set within a world whose rules resemble those of an M.C. Escher painting, this game will mess with your head and make you question everything you think you know about how games are supposed to work. Sound mind-bending? It is.
    We have showcases of some of the most outstanding video game, architectural visualization, and mobile apps using UDK atwww.udk.com/showcase and www.unrealengine.com/showcase. Also be sure to check out the Works in Progress and theReleased Projects forums.Make Something Unreal Live at the Gadget Show Live 2012 overview

• The Commando Kiwi team took top honors in the Make Something Unreal Live competition during the Gadget Show Live 2012. Click here for the full story.

May 2012 UDK Beta Upgrade Notes

New Features and Functionality

• RealD Integration
      • Incorporates best-of-breed stereoscopic 3D gaming technology in the Unreal Engine which allows for PC and console games to be rendered in stereo 3D
      • 3D experience improved by allowing management of camera separation and 3D depth effects in real time
      • Depth Budget Allocation and AutoCAM available with the RealD Game Developer Toolkit
      • Free demo showcasing the implementation available at www.unrealengine.com/insiderblog

• Advanced Environment Color
      • A simplified directional environment light where the environment color depends on direction
      • It is blended between 2 values: ‘environment color’ and ‘environment sun color’
      • For example, the side of the sky with the sun could have a slightly warmer and brighter hue compared to the opposite side

• Mobile Shader Key Tool
      • Translates mobile shader keys into a human readable form
      • Shader keys specify the configuration of a particular shader that is used in the game
      • The bits in these keys used to be counted ‘by hand’ which involved counting the position and looking up the source code, this is no longer necessary
      • Non-default key bits are highlighted in bold

• Unreal Editor
      • DrawScale is now applied correctly in editor to BSPs
      • “Ok to All” will now work when move/renaming several sound files in the content browser
      • Problems with coverslot selection and dragging are now fixed
      • Warning dialogs now launch when reimporting an asset that is older than the one currently loaded
      • Fixed a crash that occurred in the AnimSet Editor when removing Material slot [0] from a skeletal mesh that has more than one slot
      • Wireframe edges now render when importing a brush

• Matinee
      • Matinee keyframe selection now happens on mouse release, not press
      • Cameras imported into Matinee from FBX files work properly now

• Mobile
      • New Scaleform HUD for Unreal Tournament maps is now used on mobile devices too
      • Fixed crash if mobile emulation mode is enabled when non-mobile features are used in a map (e.g. landscape and morph targets), default material will render instead
      • Mesh particle stat tracking now works properly on mobile
      • Config option ShouldTrackFPSWhenNonInteractive added to allow fps charts to be generated for non-interactive scenes. False by default in Engine. True for UDKGame

• Texture Paint
      • The Texture properties window will now update the texture after committing in texture paint mode
      • Added an error in the Mesh Paint Window when the Undo Buffer has exceeded its maximum memory
      • Textures in the window will also say how many possible Undo actions are available
      • Fixed banding issues
      • Fixed the slowdown during undo/redo

New and Updated UDN Pages

Last edited by rexoli; 07-26-2012 at 10:14 AM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Commando Kiwi, GO US!
    Make Something Unreal Live 2012 Winner
    Environmental Artist @CommandoKiwi

Iron Guard

I just installed this new beta, looks like a nice update but :
    -The color picker is still not fixed. :\
    -I get a lot of micro-lag when I move in every map (DM-Deck or even the Example map) in the Editor and the PIE.
    Sorry for my bad English, it's not my native language.
    ---
    Twitter- LinkedIn - !Portfolio! - !Personnal project : EXIL!

MSgt. Shooter Person

This maybe a dumb question, but, does this RealD 3D Stuff require 120hz monitor? Does it require head tracking etc? Is it Red/Cyan stuff?

Apparently there are no UDN pages for it, their website doesn't tell it and SOL doesn't have any news about it (other than a Red/Cyan youtube video).

Anyone has any more info on this?

It probably offers options for both Anaglyph (red/cyan) and other standard 3D methods (probably side-by-side)

MSgt. Shooter Person

Any love for my Beloved MSUL winning team?
    Make Something Unreal Live 2012 Winner
    Environmental Artist @CommandoKiwi

Iron Guard

I'm wondering, does the RealD 3D stuff work like in the cinemas? With these cheap plastic glasses? And does it work on a 60Hz Screen?
    /ninjapirates/
    ---Roccy Laboratories//#1 Crossmedia 2010[Multimedia]

I hate reference images...I never find good ones

Quote Originally Posted by HavocInferno View Post
    I'm wondering, does the RealD 3D stuff work like in the cinemas? With these cheap plastic glasses? And does it work on a 60Hz Screen?
    Probably not, on both.

Most 3D monitors don't use the technology like theaters use (the polarized glasses). Instead they use active shutter glasses, which require a 120hz display.

Since this isn't using Nvidia 3D vision or the AMD 3D solution I'm not sure if it can output frame-sequential 3D (I'll have to test it when I get home).

Iron Guard

I have yet to meet someone who is passionate about Stereoscopic 3D in games apart from the hardware manufacturers. So my main question about that implementation would be WHY? Apart from that its nice to see the new update is finally there and I can start working on the next project.

Skaarj
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: DAOWAce PSN ID: DAOWAce

Well.. I'm disappointed.

I suppose I'll upgrade and hope there's no real problems with this version, but nothing I was hoping to get fixed/improved got fixed/improved.

Oh well..

Marrow Fiend

this what i get after chaning the ini entry to "true"

Code:
    [RealD]
    StereoEnable=false
    DBAActive=true

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    UT40K:The Chosen - Warhammer 40,000 for UDK
    ut40kgeodav - UE4 Tutorials
    UT3 Tutorials - Characters - Weapons - Vehicles - FaceFX
    UDK Tutorials - Basics - Vehicles - Characters - Weapons

Iron Guard

Would be nice if Epic could tell us how we can use the 3D stuff. I'm too lazy to look it up on the UDN now (if it is there) :P
    /ninjapirates/
    ---Roccy Laboratories//#1 Crossmedia 2010[Multimedia]

I hate reference images...I never find good ones

Marrow Fiend

no its not !!!!
    i've mentioned the lack of info before !!!!!!

God King

I feel 3D vision is pointless in games. Its just gonna leave a lot of people with eye pain and bad eye sight. Its bad enough in theaters with a two hour movie.

God King

Quote Originally Posted by Froyok View Post
    -The color picker is still not fixed. :\
    I am sure Epic works with a fully planned out schedule internally, so things are likely to get put at the end of the pending feature queue when they are reported and thus it can take quite a few months until it actually makes it into a UDK build.
    Our Loop, which art in source code, hallowed be thy keyword.
    Thy condition come, thy instruction be done, in RAM as it is in cache.
    Increment us this day our daily counter,
    and forgive us our typos, as we also have forgiven our compilers.
    And lead us not to the nullpointer but deliver us from bugs.
    For thine is the API, the GUI, and the CLI while(true).
    Semicolon;
    Please don't send me questions about how to do something in the UDK via PM. That is better discussed in the forums and we only have limited PM storage.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAgent View Post
    I feel 3D vision is pointless in games. Its just gonna leave a lot of people with eye pain and bad eye sight. Its bad enough in theaters with a two hour movie.
    3D is pretty cool in games, my only issue is the bulky glasses.

MSgt. Shooter Person

A road editor that works with the landscape system would be a lot more useful than Stereoscopic 3D.

Marrow Fiend

just got the same screen with the SOL Exodus Demo, so i take it Real3D doesn't work on my hardware

Redeemer

Quote Originally Posted by Racer1 View Post
    A road editor that works with the landscape system would be a lot more useful than Stereoscopic 3D.
    I agree. UE3 also lacks a solution for ocean simulation which is critical in my opinion.
    Hamad Al-Hasan
    Gameplay Programmer / Technical Artist
    Portfolio: http://www.alhasanstudio.com/

Projects: Medieval Zombie Demo - zBioBlow - 2013: Infected Wars

UDK Version: Feb-2013
    Intel Core i7 960 3.2 GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad Core CPU
    12 GB DDR3 Mushkin PC3-12800 998959 (6 x 2048MB) 6-9-7-24 1.65V Blackline
    ASUS Sabertooth X58 LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
    EVGA GTX 580 1.5 GB GDDR5 - Driver Version: 296.10

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by geodav View Post
    just got the same screen with the SOL Exodus Demo, so i take it Real3D doesn't work on my hardware
    If you cross your eyes at the right distance, 2 screens will converge in the middle and I'll make it 3D. It works on your picture too, if you look at it crosseyed it looks 3D.

However that'll strain your eyes very quickly, its not easy to maintain and it requires a small picture otherwise it doesn't work.

I'm wondering if there's actual red-cyan glass support via some setting. It would be cool if it has that.

Edit: Just in case, this is not a troll post:
    Last edited by RNG; 05-14-2012 at 03:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by geodav View Post

If you mean the double screen, that's side-by-side, you have to set your display to interpret it as such.

Deathless

am I the only one still hoping for Foliage collision and SpeedTrees as Foliage? :/

MSgt. Shooter Person

Hey, check out this 3D video from FreddieW of First-Person Mario. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0U0ZDjnQiXQ Remember to choose the "No Glasses" option.

Redeemer

Finally may udk!
    Lead Programmer
    It's the Only NEET Thing to Do

Programming for non-fiction.
    I'm the function of my code. Conditions are my body and calls are my blood. I have input over a thousand lines. Unknown of bugs, nor known to work. Have withstand coffee to create many programs. Yet, those hands will never code anything again. So, as I pray, Unlimited Code Works.

Veteran
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: ambershee

Quote Originally Posted by RNG View Post
    I'm wondering if there's actual red-cyan glass support via some setting. It would be cool if it has that.
    I believe you can do that in the drivers of any Nvidia Dx11 card
    - Please do not send me questions regarding programming or implementing things in UDK via Private Message. I do not have time to respond and they are much better answered in the forums. -

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: NekoDemon117

Quote Originally Posted by Saishy View Post

Finally may udk!
    LOL, Cirno.

Reminds me of the idea I had to make a Scarlet Devil Mansion map in UDK a few months ago that I couldn't find enough references for.

Somebody already did it in Source Engine with Team Fortress 2, which is where I got the idea from. Makes me wonder how a FPS Scarlet Devil Mansion would look in Unreal Engine 3 with DX11.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    In Canada with a half-decent laptop that has SM4 support.
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: PSN: StingReay1

Quote Originally Posted by Saishy View Post

Finally may udk!

(Sorry, I HAD to make that joke.)
    Attached Images Attached Images

MSgt. Shooter Person

not yet build in Android . so sad >_<

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by May View Post
    not yet build in Android . so sad >_<
    Well, I did see a red link to Android documentation - perhaps support will remain licensee only?

That's 4 releases in a row that have nothing changed that I consider significant to my workflow.
    I'm really more interested in a few more AI classes and vehicle rigs more than anything else.
    Nothing really worth updating yet. Couldn't give a rats butt about 3d stereoscopy.
    Hmmm.
    Maybe I'll stop looking for another 4 months and stick with the november '11 build. It's got everything I need for now.
    Why do you spend all this time throwing the kitchen sink in there too, I don't know.
    just more bloat.

God King
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: tegleg digital

Quote Originally Posted by Anartist View Post
    just more bloat.
    quite, dont get me wrong udk is super ace like owt but,
    seems to have been a running theme since day 1 so you shouldnt worry about it.
    making existing features actually work just kinda goes out the window when you have a new feature lol..

they do seem to have fixed a few thing this time so well done epic
    i guess nobody involved in udk development actually looks at this forum to see what people want.
    Code:
    We.spazmodicaly.simulate.new.sound.with.technical.equipment.that.is.specificaly.manufactured.for.humans.to.communicate.in.outer.space.Tegleg.manipulates.time.and.space.to.create.new.experiences.to.generate.a.hardcore.database.generation.
    LOOK>> Please ask questions in the forum, NOT a private message <<LOOK
    tegleg.co.uk
    My Tutorials n Stuff
    Games: NEW! Tegs Playground Multiplayer Edition
    Unwheel2 - VCTF Game - Sponic Mesh 3D
    Shh.. dont tell anyone about my android apps.
    will code for money

Marrow Fiend

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: KickedWhoCares

Quote Originally Posted by tegleg View Post
    they do seem to have fixed a few thing this time so well done epic
    i guess nobody involved in udk development actually looks at this forum to see what people want.
    I think youre wrong there but knowing what motivates Epic to add one thing and not another is anyones guess. One thing is obvious to me, what people think they want and what they actually require are two different things, I'll be the first to say Im guilty of this. Basically though anyone can come on the forum (with no knowledge or experience with the engine) and start screaming requests so it doesnt surprise me alot of them fall of deaf ears, this could possibly be the main contributing factor to Epic keeping tight lipped.

Skaarj

Heeey =)

Nice work on the latest UDK (May 2012 build), really finding it more stable/faster here..

Jus got one bug atm, when I edit foliage (after having created it in the last build or maybe the one before that, can't remember), if I try to Select a piece of existing foliage, and then move it around or simply just selecting it, and then I click the exit button on the foliage editor, it crashes, here are some shots to show -

Cheers guys =)

Veteran
    Gamer IDs

Have you tried resaving the map, exiting and reopening before using the foliage tool stuff?
    - Please do not send me questions regarding programming or implementing things in UDK via Private Message. I do not have time to respond and they are much better answered in the forums. -

Quote Originally Posted by Anartist View Post
    I'm really more interested in a few more AI classes and vehicle rigs more than anything else.
    They're probably not going to add more content like that, maybe new maps but not weapons or vehicles.

I doubt they plan their features according to what UDK users want at all, their main thing is for supporting UE3 licensors, so I would imagine on top of a some editor features and fixes anything they add is for them and if it's something they can add to UDK then it's just a bonus.

Is releasing patches (smaller download) an option?

Veteran
    Gamer IDs

No. Each UDK update should be considered a single install; they cannot realistically be patched since all the content has the potential to change.

As for me, I'm waiting from UDK better camera projection matrix, because now cameras are "spherical" and it's hard to make nice cinematic based on UDK with such a projection. For camera there should be properties like horizontal, vertical aperture, more control around field of view, it would be very very nice for rendering.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast