Default Son having an issue playing online games with gears of war 3

Good evening,

My son rented GoW3 a few times over the last few months and recently bought the game. He used to play online without any troubles. Now when he starts up the game any option to play multiplayer. And if he tries it tells him he needs to be set up to play online or something to that effect. Sorry I can not be any more specific at the moment as my son is asleep.

I did write to epic and was told he is not on the ban list. Also spoke with xbox support and tried everything they recommended.

As I can not supply any more info right now I was wondering if you could suggest possible reasons from what I have said.

Thankyou for your time.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: KrazeyEyez

You need to download the free DLC packs i believe to play any of the online modes. I think there were two free ones.
    Gears 3 is good, but it could have been great.

Thankyou will look into that when I am able.

Marrow Fiend

Fort Qu'Appelle Saskatchewan——Wishing he can play as a Lambent Drone :(
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: LambentHammerB

It does sound like a ban.
    Does he have another gamertag or recently changed it? When a ban happens they ban the Profile ID - not the Gamertag itself (as changing GT would bypass bans).
    He could of been banned prior, then changed his GT in which is why Epic said he's not on the ban list.

Another error could simply be he has to switch to online.
    Tell him to push the "Back" button and it will bring up a list of options like Public/Joinable Friends/Invite Only/Local/System Link
    If he can only choose Local - it's a ban or his Gold membership is up.
    GT: LambentHammerB -- Trololol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6Yjkzmleoc -- Twitter: LambentHammerB
    ||| LYCAN ||| - Commando Dom -- NFI - Savage Grenadier Elite -- Beezy8869 - Adam Fenix -- Genoo - Infected Omen -- Autopsychotic - Golden Lancer -- CallMeHost -- Golden Hammerburst -- Cher - Cole Plushie
    Flak -- MechanicBaird/Savage Kantus/Launch Skin Collection/Beta Tester T-Shirt/Stickers
    PopeAdrian37th
    - Jungle Tai/Aftermath Baird/Neon Armor -- BrainDeadDan - Brisk Skin Pack -- Richardson94 - Lambent Skin -- Parasidian - Young Dom -- GzB - Anya --DraconianBriana - Early Access -- CrypticAshes -- Team Metal

Seriously...

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Jim Tuna

Has he downloaded the free Booster Pack? If not, he can't play online until he does. Yes, even TDM No DLC.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkio View Post
    Sorry, but really? That Jim Tuna guy is a reaper? Dude does nothing but spam the forums I have yet to come across one non spammy post from him. There are other users who are more active and contribute a lot of information/ help threads off their own initiative- they are more deserving of this opportunity. Apparently you can report spam and spam is frowned upon but here EPIC are, rewarding the spammers.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: ELMER PHUD

Like someone already said

Download FREE Booster Pack

If you have a router >>>> NAT Type Open
    Thank You So MUCH > II EVOL ONE II < For My NEW DashBoard

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Accident

Double Post

If he was banned where would I find the email that says he was doing something that would get him banned or that he was banned?

I would like to know for sure if he is banned. As I said I was told he was not on the ban list but he does change his gamertag from time to time.

And if it is a ban is there anyway to get unbanned?

Thankyou all for your replies.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Denuvil View Post
    If he was banned where would I find the email that says he was doing something that would get him banned or that he was banned?

I would like to know for sure if he is banned. As I said I was told he was not on the ban list but he does change his gamertag from time to time.

He would have been console banned, which means he won't be able to play, even if he created a new gamertag etc. He would have to get a new xbox.

Doubtful that he is banned, probably just needs to download the DLC

just checked on his xbox and looked at the marketplace for GoW3.... there is a list of 94 items that can be downloaded.... a few(10 or so) of them he has.... any in particular he has to have?

Do not want to download/pay if it turns out he is banned.

Thanks

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Akimbo Slice 79

think the ones needed to play online are free mate.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: GunBlazinBaz

He can play tdm no dlc if he doesn't have it and if he's banned call Microsoft to check if he is

Seriously...

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Gnashes

Microsoft might could tell you if it's a game specific ban. The only DLC needed to play online is the "Free Multiplayer Booster Pack"

If he is banned, there is no way to get unbanned. All bans are permanent.

If you post his GT, I can look to see if he's done anything obvious to get banned.

His gamertag at the moment is MUTAL X CARMINE

Could not tell you any previous gamertags.

He who must not be named...

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TAO Devil

1) Epic does not email you if you are banned. You just are banned.

2) We cannot tell you if he is banned. But if the message pops up that his settings do not allow online play, he most likely is banned.

3) If he is banned, all bans are permanent.

The DLC that is free and mandatory to download is called "Booster Map Pack"
    That was Zen, This is TAO
    Ranked #1 in the World for AWESOMENESS!

Follow me @TAO_Devil Follow my Gaming Blog @DevilsGameroom or view the site The Devils Gameroom
    GzB Baby! WHOOOO! EGFC Member
    First member to ever hit 30,000 posts. I am He Who Must Not Be Named

Banned

just checked on his xbox and looked at the marketplace for GoW3.... there is a list of 94 items that can be downloaded.... a few(10 or so) of them he has.... any in particular he has to have?

Do not want to download/pay if it turns out he is banned.

Thanks
    The Booster pack. I hope he isn't banned.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Booster pack

Thankyou all for your replies. Downloaded the booster pack and still the same message appears. Seems he has been banned. I assume most bans are due to some form of cheating. Hopefully he learns his lesson and plays fairly from now on.

Would playing on a different xbox console work? Someone said it is the xbox that is banned not the gamertag.

Gamer IDs

Thankyou all for your replies. Downloaded the booster pack and still the same message appears. Seems he has been banned. I assume most bans are due to some form of cheating. Hopefully he learns his lesson and plays fairly from now on.

Would playing on a different xbox console work? Someone said it is the xbox that is banned not the gamertag.
    If he got a new console, he would also have to get a brand new profile, as nothing can transfer over. Once a profile has played on a banned console, it also is banned.

Those profile bans can carry over to new consoles. So make sure EVERYTHING is brand new.

Follow me @TAO_Devil Follow my Gaming Blog @DevilsGameroom or view the site The Devils Gameroom

Redeemer

Quote Originally Posted by LambentHammerburst View Post
    Another error could simply be he has to switch to online.
    Tell him to push the "Back" button and it will bring up a list of options like Public/Joinable Friends/Invite Only/Local/System Link
    If he can only choose Local - it's a ban or his Gold membership is up.
    After reading only a little of the OP's post and after fully reading the post I would say it's this because it has happened to me a few times.
    From the beginning I've had my lobby set to 'Invite Only', but recently it has made me make it "Open to Friends' because of some odd reason.
    In the end, I'd try this method first because once I changed it to what was acceptable all I had to do was play a match (which is what I was trying to do before the message popped) and change it back to the setting in-which I had it at.
    Good luck and hope everything works out for your son!
    Quote Originally Posted by IBYCFOTA View Post
    Gears took the core mechanics of what made the multiplayer special and either removed them or mangled them beyond recognition. All this for what? To attract the gamer with the attention span of a nat who will play the game for a month and then go back to his favorite FPS or the next flavor of the month title? They're not the ones who are going to be buying all of the DLC and still playing the game 9 months after launch. That would be your hardcore fanbase, the one you've alienated with your changes to the point of no return. Remember them? Don't worry, you will soon enough.
    R.I.P - Gears of War = 2006/2012
    </3

Boomshot
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: D4u2s0t

I believe if he pulls up his gamer tag on a new console, that console will become banned as well. if I'm not mistaken, when the info downloads from the server, it will make the connection and ban the new console as well, and if he plays on other people's console, they will also be banned, even though they did nothing wrong. So I would tell him not to do this, as he will ruin the game for whatever friends xbox he plays on, and they will no longer be able to play online either.

I have never been banned, but I remember reading that you would need a new xbox, new gamer tag, and new xbox live account. I would use it as a learning lesson as to the importance of not cheating.
    Having a hard time with Bairds? Click this link 2-piecing is like kicking someone in the nuts... you may win the fight, but you're still a loser.

Quote Originally Posted by D4u2s0t View Post
    I believe if he pulls up his gamer tag on a new console, that console will become banned as well. if I'm not mistaken, when the info downloads from the server, it will make the connection and ban the new console as well, and if he plays on other people's console, they will also be banned, even though they did nothing wrong. So I would tell him not to do this, as he will ruin the game for whatever friends xbox he plays on, and they will no longer be able to play online either.

I have never been banned, but I remember reading that you would need a new xbox, new gamer tag, and new xbox live account. I would use it as a learning lesson as to the importance of not cheating.
    Thankyou for that information. I was about to try my xbox live account on his xbox. And if that did not work try his xbox live account on our old xbox360(non wifi).

And yes, if this is a ban for cheating, it will be his lesson. As he bought the game with his own money to play online with friends.

I do find it a bit "cheap" that you can be banned without warning or even being told you are banned. I will assume my son knew he was "cheating" and does deserve this ban. But there must be a lot of people, who have been told they can be "helped" level or whatever, who do not know it is wrong to do it that way.

Oh well we live we learn.

silly double posts

Boomshot
    Gamer IDs

Thankyou for that information. I was about to try my xbox live account on his xbox. And if that did not work try his xbox live account on our old xbox360(non wifi).

And yes, if this is a ban for cheating, it will be his lesson. As he bought the game with his own money to play online with friends.

I do find it a bit "cheap" that you can be banned without warning or even being told you are banned. I will assume my son knew he was "cheating" and does deserve this ban. But there must be a lot of people, who have been told they can be "helped" level or whatever, who do not know it is wrong to do it that way.

Oh well we live we learn.
    I think everyone knows it's cheating to hack the game to add medals, achievements, and/or ranks that they didn't earn... It's not something that just happens, you either use a program to change your stats, or you give your username/password to someone else to do it. Bans are usually only given for hacking your account like this. We see several posts per day about people who were "unfairly" banned, just to see their username, and the forum investigators dig in and find out how much they had cheated. It sucks to get banned, but it also sucks that people are willing to cheat, and with a few clicks of a button they get things done that take others sometimes a very long time to get legit.

Plus, I'd be pretty pissed if I got banned because a friend cheated, when I didn't do anything wrong to deserve the ban.
    Last edited by D4u2s0t; 05-07-2012 at 12:20 PM.
    Having a hard time with Bairds? Click this link 2-piecing is like kicking someone in the nuts... you may win the fight, but you're still a loser.

I think everyone knows it's cheating to hack the game to add medals, achievements, and/or ranks that they didn't earn... It's not something that just happens, you either use a program to change your stats, or you give your username/password to someone else to do it. Bans are usually only given for hacking your account like this. We see several posts per day about people who were "unfairly" banned, just to see their username, and the forum investigators dig in and find out how much they had cheated. It sucks to get banned, but it also sucks that people are willing to cheat, and with a few clicks of a button they get things done that take others sometimes a very long time to get legit.
    Like I said I have nothing against him being banned as I assume he knew it was wrong. But he tells me all the time people tell him to join a specific game to get help leveling or something like that. I do not play the game myself to know the exact circumstances.

I just would have liked for there to be some sort of contact letting him/me know that a ban was imminent or had been placed. So I could have saved quite a few hours troubleshooting.

Gamer IDs

Like I said I have nothing against him being banned as I assume he knew it was wrong. But he tells me all the time people tell him to join a specific game to get help leveling or something like that. I do not play the game myself to know the exact circumstances.

I just would have liked for there to be some sort of contact letting him/me know that a ban was imminent or had been placed. So I could have saved quite a few hours troubleshooting.
    Epic's policy is first offense is a permanent ban. There's no warning because there's a big huge bold line. Do something wrong and it's goodbye online play.

Sorry you had to spend the time.

Boomshot
    Gamer IDs

I hear ya on the notification, I'm sure it has been annoying... The thing is, your son knows what he did, trust me, and so does everyone else that does this. It's not something that gets done by accident, you have to know what you're doing. Most post on hacker websites looking for "help". This may be the reason why he changes his gamer tag like you mentioned. Most people don't just change their gamer tag. He should have just been honest, he probably didn't wanna say that he cheated and got caught, who wants to tell their dad that, ya know? Especially with the price of games/consoles etc., I don't think a kid wants to admit that they tossed all that money down the drain and can no longer play a game.

What your son is talking about is "boosting", and is not something you get banned for. Joining a game to level up is fine, as long as he is not idle boosting in public matches, meaning putting a rubber band on his controller to get credit for matches he didn't play. But most bans are because someone actually hacked the game and changed their stats.

If we had a list of his other gamer tags, I'd be willing to wager that some of the guys here would be able to tell you in no time what's up.

This particular account he's using looks like it hasn't been played in quite a while, since november, at least no achievements have been earned since then. My guess is he ditched the old profile, got a new modded one, got banned, and decided to go back to his old profile thinking he could bypass.
    Last edited by D4u2s0t; 05-07-2012 at 12:32 PM.

Marrow Fiend

Fort Qu'Appelle Saskatchewan——Wishing he can play as a Lambent Drone :(
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: LambentHammerB

D4u2s0tpretty much got it.
    Yes no notification can be annoying. However modding your profile is not something that can be done accidentally.
    It requires:
    1) To take profile onto USB device or manage to hook up the HDD to PC
    2) Use a tool to extract the profile from a encrypted file
    3) Mod it using a tool
    4) Use another program to "resign" the data
    5) Put back onto memory device and take to Xbox

Parts 2-4 can be one step if the program does it all for you.

It's something you purposely intended to do.

The other methods would be:
    1) Giving one access to your account to do above method
    2) Giving one access to your account to do the duplication exploit
    3) Having a account you want to duplicate on YOUR Xbox and doing the steps to dupe it (in which you CAN'T do accidentally either)

All of which these again are deliberate and done knowingly.

In reality modding can get you a complete Xbox Live profile ban. So be happy he was only banned from one game.
    GT: LambentHammerB -- Trololol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6Yjkzmleoc -- Twitter: LambentHammerB
    ||| LYCAN ||| - Commando Dom -- NFI - Savage Grenadier Elite -- Beezy8869 - Adam Fenix -- Genoo - Infected Omen -- Autopsychotic - Golden Lancer -- CallMeHost -- Golden Hammerburst -- Cher - Cole Plushie
    Flak -- MechanicBaird/Savage Kantus/Launch Skin Collection/Beta Tester T-Shirt/Stickers
    PopeAdrian37th
    - Jungle Tai/Aftermath Baird/Neon Armor -- BrainDeadDan - Brisk Skin Pack -- Richardson94 - Lambent Skin -- Parasidian - Young Dom -- GzB - Anya --DraconianBriana - Early Access -- CrypticAshes -- Team Metal

I hear ya on the notification, I'm sure it has been annoying... The thing is, your son knows what he did, trust me, and so does everyone else that does this. It's not something that gets done by accident, you have to know what you're doing. Most post on hacker websites looking for "help". This may be the reason why he changes his gamer tag like you mentioned. Most people don't just change their gamer tag. He should have just been honest, he probably didn't wanna say that he cheated and got caught, who wants to tell their dad that, ya know? Especially with the price of games/consoles etc., I don't think a kid wants to admit that they tossed all that money down the drain and can no longer play a game.

What your son is talking about is "boosting", and is not something you get banned for. Joining a game to level up is fine, as long as he is not idle boosting in public matches, meaning putting a rubber band on his controller to get credit for matches he didn't play. But most bans are because someone actually hacked the game and changed their stats.

If we had a list of his other gamer tags, I'd be willing to wager that some of the guys here would be able to tell you in no time what's up.

This particular account he's using looks like it hasn't been played in quite a while, since november, at least no achievements have been earned since then. My guess is he ditched the old profile, got a new modded one, got banned, and decided to go back to his old profile thinking he could bypass.
    All sounds very plausible. I knew he had 2 xbox memberships. Thought it was so he could play with his friends who did not have memberships. And as he has to ask me to buy his points I was told every time he changed his gamertag was because he joined a new clan. I only play a few sports games online so no idea what a clan is. Sounds like a group

Is nice to know the different ways he could have cheated. Hope it was just the "boosting" as I know he has done this on either this game or others.

On a side note talking about modding/boosting. He bought a controller that has turbo fire or some such thing. Is this against any rules you guys know about?

Marrow Fiend
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: King Mark XNIRX

Ok while it seems you have found the problem I thought I might as well ask this, has your son got a gold account or has he been downgraded to silver without realizing?
    KING OF KINGS
    ▬▬ι══════════════ﺤ

Quote Originally Posted by king-mark View Post
    Ok while it seems you have found the problem I thought I might as well ask this, has your son got a gold account or has he been downgraded to silver without realizing?
    As he is still able to play games like MW3 and black ops online I will say his membership is still gold.

I have been told that having a modified controller, "turbo" fire, can get you banned.

This is straight from Xbox.com under the terms and conditions section.

TERMINATION/ACCESS RESTRICTION
    Microsoft reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to terminate your access to any or all Xbox.com Web Site and the related services or any portion thereof at any time, without notice.

This may also help....http://www.xbox.com/en-US/Legal/CodeOfConduct

It sucks that he was banned, but maybe he learned his lesson.

Seriously...

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Gnashes

Quote Originally Posted by Chubbs McGee 81 View Post
    I have been told that having a modified controller, "turbo" fire, can get you banned.
    No, it can't.

This is straight from Xbox.com under the terms and conditions section.

TERMINATION/ACCESS RESTRICTION
    Microsoft reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to terminate your access to any or all Xbox.com Web Site and the related services or any portion thereof at any time, without notice.
    This may also help....http://www.xbox.com/en-US/Legal/CodeOfConduct

It sucks that he was banned, but maybe he learned his lesson.
    Microsoft has absolutely nothing to do with Gears bans. All they do is Xbox LIVE bans and Gamerscore resets.

If he was banned from Gears, it was for either modding, or bypassing the Idle Kick feature in public Versus.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: GunBlazinBaz

he probably downloaded a free profile called Adarien and he modded his account. Due to doing this he will be banned