MSgt. Shooter Person

Default How do you add corridors in a map?

I've searched all around and have only found tutorials that go only into making the basic cube. But, I want to add corridors and all of that to try and make my map at least somewhat playable. Anyone know how to do this?

Thanks in advance!

are you making a hallway with doors, do you want the doors to be movers?
    you can use static meshes as your movers,
    look at other maps and maybe use the doors in those maps to start,

or you can import complex mesh objects as your doors,
    (links to pictures help me understand your vision)
    is this kinda what you refer to?

God King

You make a corridor the same way as a room. You need the cube builderbrush for this and have to change its values according to the look of the corridor you have in mind. for example: height, width = 256 and lenght = 1024. Just an example.
    A huge fan of the entire Unreal franchise and Bulletstorm.
    UT2004 tips thread; UT3 tips thread; remastered UC weapon textures (UCBP for UT2004, still WIP), CTF-FacingWorlds99 (UT2004; final in the making); AS-Overlord (UT2004, Beta4); DM-Crane (UT2004, Beta1 - currently unavailable); CTF-BattleOnSlysBlockForts (UT2004, Final, made on request); DM-Morbias (UT2004, new link tba);

S l y .

Boomshot

Quote Originally Posted by Flak Master View Post
    I've searched all around and have only found tutorials that go only into making the basic cube. But, I want to add corridors and all of that to try and make my map at least somewhat playable. Anyone know how to do this?

Thanks in advance!
    What version of the game do you have (DVD,CD, ECE [DVD])? If you have any of the "DVD" versions of the game, there are tutorials on the bonus disc. If you don't have the disc, you can find those video tutorials here:
    http://www.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/sv_vid...d0cee94cba15ce

Run through the tutorials at least until you finish the "my first level" or whatever thingy. You'll have a decent idea how to make a doorway and corridors and things like that. They use connecting cylinder brushes that have a little cube that connects them as a doorway. Most levels aren't done this way, but are more like cube(room) connected by a smallish "rectangle" cube to another corridor/room. You'll see what I mean if you go through the tutorials. You can also learn a lot by looking at the levels that come with the game and trying to figure out how a certain area/whatever in an existing level was achieved. Copy/paste totally works too
    Last edited by Skred; 05-06-2012 at 09:33 AM.
    -Smart bombs, position guided armaments; a more sophisticated way to end up dead
    -On this day, I decide to anoint my fists; engaging them in the mode of power and war
    wut?

God King

Just don't save any default packages and don't overwrite any files that came with the game.
    UT2004 tips thread; UT3 tips thread; remastered UC weapon textures (UCBP for UT2004, still WIP), CTF-FacingWorlds99 (UT2004; final in the making); AS-Overlord (UT2004, Beta4); DM-Crane (UT2004, Beta1 - currently unavailable); CTF-BattleOnSlysBlockForts (UT2004, Final, made on request); DM-Morbias (UT2004, new link tba);

S l y .

MSgt. Shooter Person

I'm only working with hallways, for starters. Now, I just made the basic cube bigger by putting the brush inside of the original cube and subtracting it there. However, when I go to re-build, UnrealEd comes up with an error saying that one of my brushes has NULL material reference. I encountered this same error when trying to make the map in the more advanced 3DBuzz Tutorial. Any idea of why I'm getting this error?

God King

That is because you have no textures applied to your brush.

S l y .

MSgt. Shooter Person

Oh, OK. That's about it! Thanks everyone!

Boomshot

I'm only working with hallways, for starters. Now, I just made the basic cube bigger by putting the brush inside of the original cube and subtracting it there. However, when I go to re-build, UnrealEd comes up with an error saying that one of my brushes has NULL material reference. I encountered this same error when trying to make the map in the more advanced 3DBuzz Tutorial. Any idea of why I'm getting this error?
    If you're trying to make your room larger, that's not the best way to do it. You'll still have the original subtraction in there and you just don't want that. You can use the builder brush to figure out what size your original brush is, and also how large you want to make the hall/corridor.

A couple of starter tips for you when building BSP that are not covered in the tutorials:

1. Use only powers of 2 to build brushes. (2^2, 2^3 etc) This translates to, 2,4,8,16,31,64,128,256,512,1024,2048,4096...etc. Anything past 4096 is REALLY rare if you're doing normal sized levels. In rare cases you may need a 384, 448, 640, 1280 (multiples of 2 as opposed to powers of 2) or some "funky" number like that for a brush. Try to stay away from that, but sometimes it is needed.
    2. Keep your grid size to at least 8. There are some instances where for static mesh alignment where you may need to go as low as 1, but for BSP, keep it at 8. This will make it much easier to "edit" your level if you have to go back and change something later.
    3. If you vertex edit a brush, be sure to right click the edited vertex to re-snap it to the grid (always needed even though it may not appear that way)
    Last edited by Skred; 05-06-2012 at 06:15 PM.
    -Smart bombs, position guided armaments; a more sophisticated way to end up dead
    -On this day, I decide to anoint my fists; engaging them in the mode of power and war
    wut?

God King

Grid 16-32 would be ideal, for finer brush constructions 8 should be just fine as Skred mentioned, but it depends on the mapper of course. But the higher the grid and the simpler your BSP, the lower the probability to get BSP-holes. For details you should use static meshes of course.

S l y .

MSgt. Shooter Person

I'm not really sure how to work with grids and I haven't even got to BSP yet. I'm still trying to make a first map that's at least playable. The one I was working on yesterday was just no good, as bots got stuck in hallways and it was difficult to move around in them. I'm currently working on a different one with MUCH larger hallways. However, I do know about Weaponbases and StaticMeshes. But, what's this snapping to grid? I've seen the command, but it seems to do nothing.

Also, how do you add in jump pads, as the layout of my level requires them.

Boomshot

I'm not really sure how to work with grids and I haven't even got to BSP yet. I'm still trying to make a first map that's at least playable. The one I was working on yesterday was just no good, as bots got stuck in hallways and it was difficult to move around in them. I'm currently working on a different one with MUCH larger hallways. However, I do know about Weaponbases and StaticMeshes. But, what's this snapping to grid? I've seen the command, but it seems to do nothing.

Also, how do you add in jump pads, as the layout of my level requires them.
    I can tell by the questions that you asked here that you have not gone through the tutorial to creeate your first level with the 3dbuzz tutorials. Go through that, and that will answer several of the questions you have. I'll answer one of your questions partially, but the answer wwon't be clear to you until you've completed the main tutorial set.

To add a jump pad:
    1.Open the actor class browser
    2.Choose navigation point>Jump Pad (not UTJumpad)
    3.Place the actor in your level
    4. Place a path node for the desired destination of the jump pad landing spot
    5. Assign the path node's tag as the jump pad's destination
    6. Rebuild paths (or rebuild all)

I made a quick cube map for you to look at but I can't figure waht to upload it with...media fire and all of that seem gone, and memory is failing on upload sites....SLYY????
    Last edited by Skred; 05-07-2012 at 07:59 PM.
    wut?

MSgt. Shooter Person

Did you ever get a good site to upload it to? Because it'd be great to have some reference to what I'm supposed to do because, after watching the BSP Brush Tutorial, I'm still confused about the whole brush clipping thing. I tried it out, but it doesn't seem to be splitting the object I made.

Boomshot

Did you ever get a good site to upload it to? Because it'd be great to have some reference to what I'm supposed to do because, after watching the BSP Brush Tutorial, I'm still confused about the whole brush clipping thing. I tried it out, but it doesn't seem to be splitting the object I made.
    Make sure both of the little "thumb tac" looking icons are selected. I'll find somewhere to upload it for you, but just have no ideas at the moment.
    wut?

MSgt. Shooter Person

You can easily make corridors. You can just subtract a cube brush between both of the rooms to create a corridor. Good luck.

MSgt. Shooter Person

That's what I've been doing, gruntkiller. However, the others seem to imply that that's not the best way to go about making a map. But thanks. I'm definitely going to need the good luck.

Boomshot

I took a screenshot for you that might explain a good deal on how it's "usually" done. There is a cube room with 2 doorways connecting to an outer cooridor. I have static mesh covering the door brush to make it look a little nicer. You can see what's going on if you look at the picture here, and inspect the various viewports. The top viewport has meshes hidden so you can see the door brush (selected). Then in the main viewport I have the mesh and the brush selected.
    wut?

MSgt. Shooter Person

The highlighted entrance to the room, is that a StaticMesh subtracted from the geometry of the room with the shield pack?

Or did you use brush clipping?

Also, the room with the shield pack looks like something you added in and then subtracted from the inside. Is that true?

By the way, isn't Mediafire still up as a website? Because I don't see how it's down when I can access it just fine.

Boomshot

The highlighted entrance to the room, is that a StaticMesh subtracted from the geometry of the room with the shield pack?

Or did you use brush clipping?

Also, the room with the shield pack looks like something you added in and then subtracted from the inside. Is that true?

By the way, isn't Mediafire still up as a website? Because I don't see how it's down when I can access it just fine.
    MediaFire seems to have changed a good bit and I cannot upload a file without downloading their program. I'm just not going to do that. I've ran into "infections" on that site in the past and do not entirely trust it but for a simple upload/download and then leave the site altogether.

There are no additions or brush clipping in the level I pictured. It's all subtractions with no "fancy" stuff. There is a central room with the shield pack (subtracted cube 1024 square, height 512 probably) Then I subtracted a little door brush that is pretty thin, about 32 or 64 units in width. I picked a static mesh doorway from the "Alleria" package and put it in place, then vertex edited the door brush's height to show the mesh propery without creating "holes" where the mesh was not covering the subtraction, or the subtration being to small for the mesh. (brush size not too small or too large for mesh) Look at the top viewport in the screen shot. You have one cube room subtracted in the center (shield room) and then a "door brush" on each side. Just focus on those 2-3 brushes to answer your overall question. Then on the outer area is a larger subtraction brush to have a "corridor" to walk in. Look at the picture a good bit and it should click after a few minutes. I find that additions are rarely needed in Unreal Engine 2 and usually are used about 30-40% of the time, with subtractions taking the other 60-70%.

I hope that makes sense. I'll try to take a few more screenshots in a series of "steps" to help clear that up.
    Last edited by Skred; 05-14-2012 at 01:05 PM.
    wut?

MSgt. Shooter Person

Sorry about the long delay. I've been busy the past few weeks with school. I just finished the BSP Tutorial on 3DBuzz, but, when I went to start making a new map, I get a General Protection Fault on UnrealEd. What's causing this, as it happened when I tried to undo the brush clipping as they did in the BSP Tutorial.

Boomshot

Sorry about the long delay. I've been busy the past few weeks with school. I just finished the BSP Tutorial on 3DBuzz, but, when I went to start making a new map, I get a General Protection Fault on UnrealEd. What's causing this, as it happened when I tried to undo the brush clipping as they did in the BSP Tutorial.
    I would just stay away from performing an undo operation on a brush clip and you'll likely not have crashes like that. Also, make sure that you have the latest patch for the game which is I believe the 3369 patch. Sometimes the editor crashes when "strange" things are done by the user, and undoing a brush clip would proabaly be one of thoes things. I know they undo it on the video, but they likely just got lucky that it didn't crash on them, and for allwe know it did, and they edited that part out of the video.

If you brush clip something incorrectly, just rebuild the brush over, and reclip it. Before you clip a brush, make sure the little thumbtac looking icons are where you want them to be.
    wut?