Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Sacrifice

Default UT3's DM-Gateway for UT2004

I would love to see this multiworld map from UT3 in UT2004.
    Anyone willing to remake? Or maybe it has been already done? I haven't found anything.

MSgt. Shooter Person

DM-Seasons is close.
    ClassicOuch needs more old female and gib sounds.

The Sacrifice

Close, but I don't really like it. I would prefer DM-Gateway. Or something more similar to it.

I also wonder if there are ANY other UT3 maps remade for UT2004?

God King

I think there was a Floodgate remake, then there is the Suspense remake and a Downtown remake.
    A huge fan of the entire Unreal franchise and Bulletstorm.
    UT2004 tips thread; UT3 tips thread; remastered UC weapon textures (UCBP for UT2004, still WIP), CTF-FacingWorlds99 (UT2004; final in the making); AS-Overlord (UT2004, Beta4); DM-Crane (UT2004, Beta1 - currently unavailable); CTF-BattleOnSlysBlockForts (UT2004, Final, made on request); DM-Morbias (UT2004, new link tba);

S l y .

MSgt. Shooter Person

hmm... DM-Gateway, sound like a cool map to try and make, I might make something similar but not exact.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by Sly. View Post
    I think there was a Floodgate remake, then there is the Suspense remake and a Downtown remake.
    And Avalanche:
    http://ut2004.titaninternet.co.uk/fo...ad.php?t=18497
    Quite busy at the moment. If you need to contact me for whatever reason, feel free to PM/email me, that will be the quickest solution.

The Sacrifice

Sly & lilalurl: Thanks!

Dy1ngs0ul: That would be great. Let us know if you decide to do it.

God King

A Gateway port that makes use of WarpZones would be really nice.
    Our Loop, which art in source code, hallowed be thy keyword.
    Thy condition come, thy instruction be done, in RAM as it is in cache.
    Increment us this day our daily counter,
    and forgive us our typos, as we also have forgiven our compilers.
    And lead us not to the nullpointer but deliver us from bugs.
    For thine is the API, the GUI, and the CLI while(true).
    Semicolon;
    Please don't send me questions about how to do something in the UDK via PM. That is better discussed in the forums and we only have limited PM storage.

The Sacrifice

Yes! I really hope somebody will make this happen.

The Sacrifice

cool looking map... have you seen DM-Tecta ? one of my favorite maps. I know not the same but very cool
    http://www.unreal.shaungoeppinger.com/maps.html
    PEACE

Warpzones don't behave with Skyboxes, so that is probably not altogether the best option. No problems with regular teleporters though.

God King

I'm curious whether they work with multiple skyboxes though. If it just shows the subtracted cube of the sublevel you enter through the warpzone, one could make an illusion of a sky by placing a screenshot texture of the skybox on the cube from the angle you see it when you enter it through the warpzone.
    UT2004 tips thread; UT3 tips thread; remastered UC weapon textures (UCBP for UT2004, still WIP), CTF-FacingWorlds99 (UT2004; final in the making); AS-Overlord (UT2004, Beta4); DM-Crane (UT2004, Beta1 - currently unavailable); CTF-BattleOnSlysBlockForts (UT2004, Final, made on request); DM-Morbias (UT2004, new link tba);

S l y .

Boomshot

I'm curious whether they work with multiple skyboxes though. If it just shows the subtracted cube of the sublevel you enter through the warpzone, one could make an illusion of a sky by placing a screenshot texture of the skybox on the cube from the angle you see it when you enter it through the warpzone.
    Just use teleporters and this:

http://www.angelmapper.com/gamedev/t...tipleskies.htm
    -Smart bombs, position guided armaments; a more sophisticated way to end up dead
    -On this day, I decide to anoint my fists; engaging them in the mode of power and war
    wut?

God King

Yeah, I know multiple skies. But I'm curious whether they work with warpzones, if they do, that would push the visuals of the map.

S l y .

Boomshot

Yeah, I know multiple skies. But I'm curious whether they work with warpzones, if they do, that would push the visuals of the map.
    I've never been clear on why warpzones are really for and why you'd use one over a teleporter. What's the deal on the Warpzones? I'm about to PM you on something as well.

EDIT: Did some reading on them and I get it now. I did find this quote from Steve Polge on warpzones.

I'd recommend confining your warpzones to zones with no skybox.

-
    Steve
    Last edited by Skred; 05-10-2012 at 08:40 PM.
    -Smart bombs, position guided armaments; a more sophisticated way to end up dead
    -On this day, I decide to anoint my fists; engaging them in the mode of power and war
    wut?

MSgt. Shooter Person

Just a curious question.How do you get access to the height maps that are made for the default UT3 maps and how do you get convert them into a format that is usable in ut2k4?

MSgt. Shooter Person

Just a little note saying that I am currently working on making a gateway map for UT2004, using warpzones to different environments, I got a jungle, Urban, Arctic and even japanese themed environments made, just got to add in the warpzones and skyboxes, I have to thank the person who started this post for giving an idea to work on, also thank 5amura1 on Mod DB for giving me tips on map development.

Boomshot

Quote Originally Posted by maxdamage View Post
    Just a curious question.How do you get access to the height maps that are made for the default UT3 maps and how do you get convert them into a format that is usable in ut2k4?
    I'm not entirely sure, but I know that Umodel is the tool that you use. Google UModel and you can find a tutorial on how to use it and should be able to figure that stuff out.
    wut?

Boomshot

Quote Originally Posted by Skred View Post
    I'm not entirely sure, but I know that Umodel is the tool that you use. Google UModel and you can find a tutorial on how to use it and should be able to figure that stuff out.
    It's better to google Unreal Model Viewer, UE Viewer or Umodel by Gildor, because there is an application called UModel that has nothing to do with this.

Boomshot

Isn't there some tool that can be used to import maps from one Unreal engine game to anthoer? (but still requires significant work to port the level)
    wut?

Boomshot

Yes, it's called UT3Converter. It's name is misleading since it works for all engine versions (not sure about UDK).

MSgt. Shooter Person

I have tried umodel but I can't seem to find where in the .ut3 file the height maps would be located anyway.I don't even know what format to look for,etc.... just for info sakes.Even if I can find it how can I convert it to ut2k4 format anyway?

Thanks

Boomshot

I'm not sure. I know that UT2004 uses (I think) P8 filetypes as heightmaps and those can be generated/converted in photoshop.
    wut?

MSgt. Shooter Person

I'm not sure. I know that UT2004 uses (I think) P8 filetypes as heightmaps and those can be generated/converted in photoshop.
    Well I have PSP8 so I don't know how to do that.Still need to find the height maps though....
    Last edited by maxdamage; 05-15-2012 at 08:57 PM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

P8 is 256 colors, and PSP can do greyscale to 8-bit color.
    ClassicOuch needs more old female and gib sounds.

Boomshot

Quote Originally Posted by maxdamage View Post
    Well I have PSP8 so I don't know how to do that.Still need to find the height maps though....
    I have very little knowledge of UE3/UT3 and how it all works. I would imagine the heightmaps are still in the form of a texture and can be exported out of UT3. I'd PM 100gPing about it. He has exported many things from UT3 and is well versed on the matter. I'm sure converting the heightmaps to something useable in Ut2004 would be the easy part. That should be matter of opening the extracted texture from UT3 in photoshop on converting into the proper filetype for UT2004 then assigning it to a terrain info. I can handle that little bit for you if need be. It'll tak emaybe 30 minutes to an hour to set up. Just PM if you get the textures and I'll help you make that happen.
    Last edited by Skred; 05-16-2012 at 03:29 AM.
    wut?

God King

Heightmaps are still used as some form of texture. They are their own type of texture though, such as UE3 uses textures as bases for materials and materials (and their "subforms" like Material Instance Constants) are the only thing that you can use to texturize your map/level, such are heightmaps an own thing. I believe, if the heightmap is not inside a cooked map or cooked package, one could easily export it, but I never tried to and I don't know as what file it would export it... However, Gateway - being a default map - is cooked.

S l y .

Boomshot

Heightmaps are still used as some form of texture. They are their own type of texture though, such as UE3 uses textures as bases for materials and materials (and their "subforms" like Material Instance Constants) are the only thing that you can use to texturize your map/level, such are heightmaps an own thing. I believe, if the heightmap is not inside a cooked map or cooked package, one could easily export it, but I never tried to and I don't know as what file it would export it... However, Gateway - being a default map - is cooked.
    How would Ping have been able to extract the Manta, Raptor, UDamage etc etc etc if you can't extract from a cooked package? I'm not saying you're incorrect, just a genuine question.
    wut?

God King

Well, I never said it's impossible, but the cooking makes it harder.
    I don't know how GPing did it, maybe UModel by Gildor?

S l y .

MSgt. Shooter Person

Isn't there some tool that can be used to import maps from one Unreal engine game to anthoer? (but still requires significant work to port the level)
    I am not sure about that, I heard about a tool kit for UT3 though, it is a tool kit that uses a whole different engine from the Unreal Engine 3, but allows content (and maps) to be imported into UT3, but one for UT2004 I don't know. You could import the meshes but importing maps I don't know.

Boomshot

Well, I never said it's impossible, but the cooking makes it harder.
    I don't know how GPing did it, maybe UModel by Gildor?
    Yeah I think you're right and it's good old uModel again. He got me that UT3 uDamage with 1024 texxtures and everything....super awesome.
    wut?

Boomshot

Quote Originally Posted by Dy1ngs0ul View Post
    I am not sure about that, I heard about a tool kit for UT3 though, it is a tool kit that uses a whole different engine from the Unreal Engine 3, but allows content (and maps) to be imported into UT3, but one for UT2004 I don't know. You could import the meshes but importing maps I don't know.
    Quote Originally Posted by 100GPing100 View Post
    Yes, it's called UT3Converter. It's name is misleading since it works for all engine versions (not sure about UDK).
    It doesn't convert from UT3 to UT2004 tough.

Here you can find the extracted and uploaded contents of DM-Gateway.ut3, have fun

God King

I think GPing just nominated for a "I Helped The Community"-banner.

S l y .

Boomshot

I think GPing just nominated for a "I Helped The Community"-banner.
    That'd be awesome, but I'm nothing compared the other helpers

Boomshot

Quote Originally Posted by 100GPing100 View Post
    That'd be awesome, but I'm nothing compared the other helpers
    Disagree!!!! You've done a lot for this game, the community, and certainly helped me a lot with UCBP stuff!!! Ya da man!
    wut?

MSgt. Shooter Person

Has anyone tried looking in the UDK to see if it is the same and it should have the same locations for the files right?Somewhere in the documentation it should say something about where terrain height maps might be located\stored?Is there anyone who has worked on UT3 registered here?Maybe we could ask them for help like that?

Thanks

Boomshot

100Gping (who has a post in this thread right above my previous one) is the man to talk to. PM him about extraction and so on of what you need and I'm sure he'll help.
    wut?

MSgt. Shooter Person

100Gping (who has a post in this thread right above my previous one) is the man to talk to. PM him about extraction and so on of what you need and I'm sure he'll help.
    Will do but the thing is I have tried to extract materials through umodel but only a .mat file is extracted but in the preview widow only the base texture is displayed.I would like to try and export the whole material combined.Also some of the audio for the pickups I would like to export for my ONS-CM-UT3 map but can't as the app upk_info I tried to export the audio with would not extract the audio into a usable format.
    Last edited by maxdamage; 05-18-2012 at 06:44 PM.

Boomshot

He's gotten high res textures for me in the past. The height maps may be small anyway. I r Ping should be able to convert them to a P8 or w/e is needed for UT2004 for you.
    wut?

Boomshot

I gave a quick peek into the editor and did not find any Heightmaps (UT3). I'll do a deeper search.

You can't extract Materials from UT3 (at least usable ones, if I recall correctly), and even if you did UE2 does not support materials.
    However those .mat files can be open in Notepad and you'll be able to see the material's structure and try to recreate it with Shaders.

As of sounds, use OggExtract.

(All this info is contained in the PM response)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast