MSgt. Shooter Person

Default unable to assign material to any mesh through the static mesh editor

Hey guys,

I am unable to assign any material to any mesh through the static mesh editor.. the name in the text box updates but the material itself does not change. if i quit the static mesh editor and start it up again, the old material is still there in the text box. I am currently using the march 2012 build. I have tried it in older builds as well (august 2011, november 2010, feb 2011) Any idea as to why this is happening and how i can go about solving this? I have tried saving the package, tried it with the mesh and the material in the same package. It just doesnt work.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Do you have a material override in the scene? click on the mesh in the scene and press F4. Look at the material there. If you have one assigned in the level, it will override the default on the mesh (in browser)

MSgt. Shooter Person

I am not placing anything in the scene. for eg. if i just take the skydome mesh in the browser, double click it, go to its lod info and then assign any material/material instance to it, the text field accepts it but the material does not get applied . After i exit the static mesh editor and open it again, the text field resets to whatever it was set to. This haapens on all the packages that come with udk. It doesnt seem to happen if i import a mesh and save it externally (not in the udk folder). It sometimes happens with the custom mesh when it is saved inside udk's content folder.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Is anybody else facing this issue too?

I realize that this thread is a few months old, but I'm having the exact same problem!
    For any mesh that came with UDK, if I try and change the material the text updates, but nothing changes. If I close the editor it acts as if nothing happened.

I have to know, did you ever find a solution for this?
    Or does anyone else know how to fix this? Any and all input is appreciated.

Thanks.

MSgt. Shooter Person

I am also having this exact problem. No change to the LOD info is recorded in the static mesh editor.
    Last edited by Radix; 10-04-2012 at 10:04 AM.

Just create a copy of the mesh, dont change the original one.

MSgt. Shooter Person

The problem persists even on copies made in udk, its very strange

Try assigning material to the copied mesh in the scene?

Palace Guard

Cooked static meshes have this issue. But I haven't encountered this problem when assigning to a static mesh that I import. Is this occurring for you?

MSgt. Shooter Person

No it doesn't occur for imported meshes, even after cooking. (I'm not sure if cooking through frontend changes the upk packages or creates some other file but it doesn't change anything for me in udk that I can see.)

Is there anyway to edit the material of a mesh that was delivered with udk? Is this allowed? exporting the meshes doesn't work and gives an error that says source file is missing.

MSgt. Shooter Person

I'm pretty sure the majority of the static meshes that ship with the UDK don't allow you to apply a material, and if they do it reverts on closing the static mesh editor. I suggest making a copy of the mesh in your own package and trying to apply the material that way. That or make your own mesh.