MSgt. Shooter Person

Question Importing terrain that was made in another 3D tool to UDK

So, guys here is the another question that I confronted:

Is there any possibility to make terrainin in another 3D programm (like 3ds max or maya) and after import it to UDK? Cause I don't think the map used in the Jazz Jackrabbit created in UDK terrain mode. I was drived to this point when watched the tutorial from Eat3d where game about plane was made. Here is the link. I open the final map of Jazz and start to analyze it and it made my opinion firm

Also want to ask. In this video tutorial from Eat3d the guy set the trees as one big object. It is very useful for optimization. So is there any idea how to make this?
    Last edited by Mr_Ujastik; 04-28-2012 at 01:02 PM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

The way I did my level is to create most of it in the 3D program first, as in the layout of everything etc. then when its ready batch together items such as trees etc then export it to UDK, when imported set the root location to 0,0,0, and it will all line up =]

For the terrain, I built it in UDK first using the terrain tool, to get it how I wanted then exported that to the 3D program, and re-topologised it so the polygon were neater and less of them.

They are not the official way, as far as i know, but has worked out pretty well for me!

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    The way I did my level is to create most of it in the 3D program first, as in the layout of everything etc. then when its ready batch together items such as trees etc then export it to UDK, when imported set the root location to 0,0,0, and it will all line up =]

For the terrain, I built it in UDK first using the terrain tool, to get it how I wanted then exported that to the 3D program, and re-topologised it so the polygon were neater and less of them.

They are not the official way, as far as i know, but has worked out pretty well for me!
    1. When you say "batch together" you mean make one object? Like attaching all objects to one editable poly in 3ds max ?
    2. How do you export terrain from UDK to 3d editor? It is something new for me. Could you eleborate the process

MSgt. Shooter Person

1: Yep, just attach, they will keep the same UVs as set before. So no need to mess about with that.

2: just select the terrain and go to File, Export, and you should be able to export it as an OBJ, import to Max, and there you go, if you are using Max 2012 onwards, have a look at the Graphite Modelling tools, there;s a magnetic topology tool in there, very handy!

MSgt. Shooter Person

1. Make a rough schematics (Google maps is nice for choosing a piece of terrain)
    2. Use some 3D package (Autodesk Mudbox does miracles) for the "rough" terrain generation (there is a tutorial on youtube about that, search for "UDK terrain mudbox")
    3. Use world machine to give your terrain some reality (wind exposure, etc.). You can even export altitude color maps from there. It's an extremely powerful tool.
    4. Import the world machine generated textures/height-maps back in Mudbox to refine and adjust.
    5. Add some touches on Photoshop directly in the generated textures (links to Mudbox in real time so it's quite handy)
    6. Export height-maps and textures from Mudbox and import to UDK (sometimes tricky)

========= for mobile - modular terrain design ===========
    6. Decide on terrain grid (the size of the static meshes that will build your terrain)
    7. Search for similar portions of the terrain so that you can unify them
    8. Cut all the different pieces of the terrain, make several unique objects out of it with several different textures for each piece
    9. Build your terrain entirely of those pieces (reuse each piece as much as possible; rotated, translated and scaled static meshes don't take much memory in UDK)
    10. export all the pieces and import as static meshes
    11. create all the variations of the materials for all the pieces

NOTE:
    On Mobile you could use the mesh itself for collision detection but with modular design this can sometimes get quite tricky.
    It's cheaper and more useful to design your levels in such a way, that the "walkable" areas are flat, so that you can put blocking volumes under them.
    Last edited by Dragon666; 04-28-2012 at 11:50 PM.
    In darkness born, to light devoted.
    Code:
    /** What the f*ck per minute - KPI for source readability,  How the hell per second - KPI for code functionality */ 
    var int _iWtfPMin, _iHthPSec;
    if( _iWtfPMin > _iHthPSec ) { Developer(CodeOwner).SetOnFire( Napalm, noDelay ); }

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon666 View Post
    1. Make a rough schematics (Google maps is nice for choosing a piece of terrain)
    2. Use some 3D package (Autodesk Mudbox does miracles) for the "rough" terrain generation (there is a tutorial on youtube about that, search for "UDK terrain mudbox")
    3. Use world machine to give your terrain some reality (wind exposure, etc.). You can even export altitude color maps from there. It's an extremely powerful tool.
    4. Import the world machine generated textures/height-maps back in Mudbox to refine and adjust.
    5. Add some touches on Photoshop directly in the generated textures (links to Mudbox in real time so it's quite handy)
    6. Export height-maps and textures from Mudbox and import to UDK (sometimes tricky)

========= for mobile - modular terrain design ===========
    6. Decide on terrain grid (the size of the static meshes that will build your terrain)
    7. Search for similar portions of the terrain so that you can unify them
    8. Cut all the different pieces of the terrain, make several unique objects out of it with several different textures for each piece
    9. Build your terrain entirely of those pieces (reuse each piece as much as possible; rotated, translated and scaled static meshes don't take much memory in UDK)
    10. export all the pieces and import as static meshes
    11. create all the variations of the materials for all the pieces

NOTE:
    On Mobile you could use the mesh itself for collision detection but with modular design this can sometimes get quite tricky.
    It's cheaper and more useful to design your levels in such a way, that the "walkable" areas are flat, so that you can put blocking volumes under them.
    About note, for example if I created some flat area with ceiling and ground and import it to UDK I need set a volume with collision so I will be able to walk on it. Did I understand you right?
    Also in such a way will the exported box (ground, ceiling and walls) texture respons as I will shoot them, like in default?

MSgt. Shooter Person

1: Yep, just attach, they will keep the same UVs as set before. So no need to mess about with that.

2: just select the terrain and go to File, Export, and you should be able to export it as an OBJ, import to Max, and there you go, if you are using Max 2012 onwards, have a look at the Graphite Modelling tools, there;s a magnetic topology tool in there, very handy!
    Thanks dude. As far I go in creation something as many question rise up. It is sometimes frustrating

Skaarj
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: spacekatgal PSN ID: spacekatgal

We're also merging poly to reduce draw calls. It's a separate question, but are you bringing your texture with it as you export from FBX? Because, when you have several UV areas on a single piece of GEO, I'm unsure how to implement several textures on it, since we've found it's best practice to plug textures into your material from scratch.

Bri

MSgt. Shooter Person

I've always done it separate, but that's my workflow, as if there is any errors, I know its either object or texture then.
    For several textures on one object, you need to have the object split into Material IDs, there are a few tutorials knocking about on this. But basically it allows for different material channels on one object, and these materials are assigned to certain polys of the object

Skaarj
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: spacekatgal PSN ID: spacekatgal

I've always done it separate, but that's my workflow, as if there is any errors, I know its either object or texture then.
    For several textures on one object, you need to have the object split into Material IDs, there are a few tutorials knocking about on this. But basically it allows for different material channels on one object, and these materials are assigned to certain polys of the object
    Oh, that's super helpful. It sounds like it's similar to naming geo UCX_[ObjectName] to set a collision boundary. I'll look into it. Thanks for the share, Dodge!

Bri

MSgt. Shooter Person

Please guy, somebody answer me. If I created some flat area in the 3d program and import it to UDK, how to make it work as gound, ceiling and walls
    Last edited by Mr_Ujastik; 05-05-2012 at 11:18 AM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/Colli...icalGuide.html

At the bottom of this page is an explanation of some collision properties.
    Have you tried un-checking UseSimpleBoxCollision in the the static mesh properties ?

MSgt. Shooter Person

Surely just render it out as a heightmap and a colour map?

MSgt. Shooter Person

I found interesting way. Have a look here