Prisoner 849
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Black Fang666

Lightbulb [PICS] Hair Using Object Paint / My First "From-scratch" Character / Nurbs in 3ds Max

This is the first ever character I have modeled completely "from-scratch." Normally I import a generic human mesh and modify it, but this time I thought I would use nurbs modelling and make my character entirely by myself. So the first problem I ran into is that Nurbs tutorials are all for Maya, and with good reason; a nurbs sphere isn't a primitive you can just select and create in 3ds max. So, I got around this by doing the following:

Create a sphere, and place it at 0,0,0

Next select it and convert it so a nurbs surface. In the nurbs tools, you should have a panel that lets you add and manipulate verts and curves and such. Start by adding 8 verts, then move them like corners of a box. If this seems confusing, keep playing around with the nurbs tools; If I can figure it out then you will be able too, just don't get frustrated. For an example, if your sphere has a radius of 2, put your verts at 5,5,5 ; 5,-5,5 ; -5,5,5 ; -5,-5,5 ; 5,5,-5 ; 5,-5,-5 ; -5,5,-5 ; and -5,-5,-5... or something like that. Then you want to add transform curves between these verts until you get something like this:

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

From here on, you should be able to follow any nurbs tutorial for maya. Just keep using copies of the nurbs sphere you have made.

So I set my reference images up as planes and went to work.

After I got all the parts blobbed out with nurbs, I fusified them together, uv mapped, and began texturing. But, my character had no hair. I was familiar with the process of making planar hair, but lacked the patience. Then I thought, "Why not use that object paint thingy?" So I did, and if you have 3ds max 2011 or newer, you can too.

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

First I set up some different planes uved to different parts of my hair texture. Then I took the spike plane and made a few copies with different bend modifiers on them. I had never used object paint before so I watched this video:

I set up object paint to use the 3 different spikes randomly, then I painted over the scalp while adjusting the scale and angle of the hair spikes. I only used the spikes and painted very beserkly but still managed to get what I think is an ok result for the first try. If I had had used the flatter planes as well, and taken some more time, I think a really good result is possible. I have never seen object paint used this way but it seems to be a viable solution.

Last edited by skwisdemon666; 04-28-2012 at 12:48 AM.
    Want to collaborate? Want to chat UDK? Message me on Skype, Craig Delancy. Check out my UDK Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/xblBlack...ew=0&flow=grid

Prisoner 849
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Black Fang666

Here are some more views of my character so far. I am not finished with the diffuse yet and haven't started the other maps, but still looks pretty good I think:

My eyes aren't just spheres, the tiny iota of extra effort goes a long way :P

I need to improve the opacity map so those edges aren't so hard.
    Keep in mind that I haven't touched the hair since I object painted it; when I actually go through it and fix it up some it might look pretty great.
    Let me know what you think.
    Last edited by skwisdemon666; 04-27-2012 at 11:28 PM.
    Want to collaborate? Want to chat UDK? Message me on Skype, Craig Delancy. Check out my UDK Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/xblBlack...ew=0&flow=grid