MSgt. Shooter Person

Big Grin RPG, First Person or Third Person?

How do YOU like your RPGs? First or Third Person?

Sorry for the useless post, it's just I'm about to start modeling and I started thinking a first person camera would be more fun , so I'm coming to ask you guys!

Third person for melee/swordplay/magic, first person for archery/projectile weapons. Ideally both with a quick button swap would be best.

Third person is a lot easier to screw up. A lot of AAA games can end up having you fight the camera, and that is not a good thing.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Bethesda seems to have no problem doing first person RPG's so go for it.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Depends on the game. Specifically the combat. If there are lots of enemies and lots of areal combat moves on the character, its simply better to use 3rd person, otherwise things get annoying fast. Bathesda makes it work by not overwhelming you with enemies at every turn.

In my opinion, first person is better and easier.

MSgt. Shooter Person

For a real RPG with rules like AD&D, third person camera! If you want to make a "RPG" shooter, first person camera, but I don't think games like Oblivion can be called RPG, for me they look a lot like Wolfestein 3D and nothing (maybe a bit) like Baldur's Gate.

I will never forgive what they did to Fallout saga!!!
    Sorry for my english.
    Waiting glide's reborn! while trying to start to learn to understand how to work with UnrealScript...

MSgt. Shooter Person

I don't care, and neither should you actually in my opinion. What I mean is: Have a plan what you want to achieve in the end and see what perspective fits that goal best. Because the perspective has a huge impact on your complete game world and mechanics, and thus on the way how players will encounter it.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: ST Omega

I like how Bethesda does it; one button hit lets player change between the two at will.
    Environment Artist
    Certain Affinity

Marrow Fiend

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: KickedWhoCares

You have to consider more than just the camera perspective, for instance 3rd person obviously requires room for the camera to move on indoor areas with first person you might need a larger collision radius so rooms might need to be wider but less high as with a third person camera. The issue with both cameras is you inherit both issues and alot of people are willing to just say add all but that can quickly lead you to design hell, what you need to be able to do is set your project apart from its counterparts by designing new methods of working. Say for instance in mirrors edge if they said oh lets just copy what prince of persia does because it works wouldnt have set the title apart like the eye camera did, by using terms like first person and third person whilst useful doesnt specify exactly how youd like things to work.

Are you going to have a conversation camera for instance, in first person you might not need one of these so as haldolium says you really need to consider your design and what fits it best. From there consider intuative methods of providing a better experience by using numerous cameras, camera effects and/or zooms etc

MSgt. Shooter Person

I've contemplated the requirements for a good third person camera and arrived at this. A good third person camera should probably have artist defined "camera-safe" volumes it is constrained to. At least in tight spaces, to avoid getting stuck/clipping in level geometry and guaranteeing the view is always clear. Additionally the thing you are aiming at and the pixel on the screen used for aiming cannot be moved in view space but the camera must always be locked along this point. If no aiming is present this doesn't matter.

No idea how to code it tho. :P

Skaarj
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Sziada PSN ID: sziada

why don't you be adaptive and do both. I normally like to switch

MSgt. Shooter Person

I may have forgetten to mention, but I CAN'T implement both ways. I've planned out that if I were to go out with a first person perspective, it'd be a true first person perspective, where there would be no head mesh and the character would be a little more detailed and the level textures would be better. Now, if I were to go with a third person perspective, I would obviously have a head mesh, but as well, I've noticed the texture maps won't have to be also big..

I'm kinda leaning towards a first person camera, I don't think I've seenany games at all use it for an rpg

Redeemer

Quote Originally Posted by Derp View Post
    I'm kinda leaning towards a first person camera, I don't think I've seenany games at all use it for an rpg
    You mean like the whole The Elder Scrolls and Fallout games?
    Which are like, the best rpgs on the market?
    Lead Programmer
    It's the Only NEET Thing to Do

Programming for non-fiction.
    I'm the function of my code. Conditions are my body and calls are my blood. I have input over a thousand lines. Unknown of bugs, nor known to work. Have withstand coffee to create many programs. Yet, those hands will never code anything again. So, as I pray, Unlimited Code Works.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by Saishy View Post
    The first person camera I was implying would be the one seen in games like Mirror's Edge. I am fully aware of other RPGs using first person camera as Fallout, Skyrim, Oblivon, Morrowind etc.

Marrow Fiend

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: KickedWhoCares

There is actually little difference in the camera perspective, its to do with the fact you can see yourself which isnt required for first person. Infact alot of games negate the fact in first person one can narrate to oneself.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by MonsOlympus View Post
    There is actually little difference in the camera perspective, its to do with the fact you can see yourself which isnt required for first person. Infact alot of games negate the fact in first person one can narrate to oneself.
    I have really noticed that, I was playing Skyrim for awhile and I noticed I had no feet, just floating arms. I wonder...
    But a TFP camera seems to be the best anyway!
    Last edited by Derp; 04-27-2012 at 01:26 PM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by Saishy View Post
    The best RPG on the market is Baldur's Gate!!!
    Sorry for my english.
    Waiting glide's reborn! while trying to start to learn to understand how to work with UnrealScript...