Skaarj
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Paradux

Default FBX Smoothing Groups error when importing. Cannot combine mesh.

Hi all.

I get this error a lot when trying to import models.

I have FBX set to export smoothing groups. I am using Maya 2011 with latest FBX plugin, and all my normals are set at 30 degrees. Maya doesn't have smoothing groups so they must be generated on the FBX export. If I uncheck 'combine mesh' the error pops up but still imports the separate meshes and materials. If I check it, it completely fails and sometimes crashes UDK for a bit.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Paradux View Post
    Hi all.

I get this error a lot when trying to import models.

I have FBX set to export smoothing groups. I am using Maya 2011 with latest FBX plugin, and all my normals are set at 30 degrees. Maya doesn't have smoothing groups so they must be generated on the FBX export. If I uncheck 'combine mesh' the error pops up but still imports the separate meshes and materials. If I check it, it completely fails and sometimes crashes UDK for a bit.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks.

hey did you fix this ? I am having the exact same problem using maya 2012 when I import my car into udk it says the same, fbx doesnt seem to export the smoothing groups and all they edges become hard :/

MSgt. Shooter Person

"Please make sure to enable 'export smoothing groups' option in the FBX exporter"

Skaarj
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Paradux

@DGlow As I mentioned in my post I have enabled smoothing groups in FBX exporter, I did read the error message!

@Blue3agle I got around this by setting all normal angles in Maya to 30 degrees. On one of my models I had some flipped normals and some hidden geometry. I fixed these and it worked. Hope this helps!

MSgt. Shooter Person

If you have access to max, just Send to max and set groups and export.
    Make Something Unreal Live 2012 Winner
    Environmental Artist @CommandoKiwi

Prisoner 849

Maya does have smoothing groups it's just called differently. Unlock normals and use soften/harden edge. Don't use average normals. You could but results will be unpredictable.

sorry for the late reply !!

what Paradux and DGlow said was perfectly correct and fixed all problems for future reference to others !!

thanks again

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: ST Omega

Maya FBX > Unreal works perfectly fine, trust me. This is a case of user error.
    Environment Artist
    Certain Affinity

Veteran

You get that error because you don't have "import tangents" checked in UDK's import.
    I run VoxHouse (VHSGames) and the UnrealDB.
    Film & Game producer, using and teaching UDK & Unreal Engine 4. Please stop by and say a good word on my project thread.
    Also feel free to join us on #udkc irc.gamesurge.net or via web: http://myclodel.com to chat live with others in the UDK community.