View Poll Results: Should Epic Update their Boot System?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

46 90.20%
  • No

5 9.80%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Matryoshka 44

Default Should Epic Update their Boot System?

So let's be honest, we're all sick of idle boosters who tape their controllers and stay in games, match after match. It ruins the game for not only the team with that player on, but even the enemy team as well who actually want to play a real person, or even a bot, rather than a standing statue. But with some of the recent threads popping up, the answer seems to basically just try and catch them in the act and report them to Epic. Yeah that's great and all, but there are questions as to why the boot system is so basic in this game. Similar modern multiplayer games (These are used as examples only_ such as Battlefield, Call of Duty and even Halo have much more advanced boot systems.. I know for a fact in MW3 and Black Ops (As I play them both alot) that players can not simply tape their controller to try and purposely disrupt games, as it takes into factor other things, such as no score being accumulated for a certain amount of time.

But really, would it actually be asking too much for Epic to include within their next TU, a boot system that at the least, detects players who have stayed in a certain amount of matches/rounds and have 0 score. This would at least stop the ones who leave their players in and go out for hours on end. While these players really are crossing a line by doing this, there is some blame on Epic as well.

So question of the Poll.... Do you think Epic should include an update for the Boot system? what sort of things do you think they could do to improve it detecting idle boosters?

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: XxVv DANNY vVxX

Good idea, probably won't happen. Title Updates have been atrocious for Gears 3. They could of fixed all the important issues in ONE update not 4...

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by DaRkNeSs View Post
    Good idea, probably won't happen. Title Updates have been atrocious for Gears 3. They could of fixed all the important issues in ONE update not 4...
    Yeah i don't expect it to happen but really with these recent idle booster threads popping up it just starts to make you wonder why the boot system is even so basic to begin with .. and while the answer is always to report these guys to Epic (they apparently get banned), its like, is Epic really gonna start banning the 100s of players who do this? all these players who basically potentially buy their DLCS and such, and keep the game active . i mean i am all for giving these players warnings and chances as well if anything, i just dont think a perma ban for getting caught first time is fair when perma bans should be saved for modders .

you know its like saying someobody talked trash to you in game chat, so report them to Epic and they will get banned from the game... that would mean banning thousands of players and basically throwing away players by the dozen. so can you see my point there too? it just isnt the option to keep on reporting these guys to Epic... when the basic boot system which needs updating is actually the major issue thats causing it

Banned

shiot, you don't even need to rig your controller to be booted anymore. i remember this one time where this guy was afk on my team for a 25 minute duration.

Prisoner 849
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SweeeterTundra

I agree with the 0 point thing But not sure how easy it is to fairly implement. If someone are very passive and not very good, a score of 0 is possible in game after game :P (I would think). And perhaps it would create glitches. It's probably harder than we think as EPIC has not done it.

That being said, the idea is good!

One more thing: why don't people boost in private?
    Claiming you're skilled whilst playing with the Sawed-off is like claiming you're an architect because you're good at building Lego.. (Not the case anymore - after nerfing - but I still like the quote )
    If you need any help on the forums, feel free to check out: http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/...m-(dictionary)

Proud member of ~SicaRius
    Please contact me or visit

http://www.sicariusclan.com/home

if you are interested in joining.

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Storm Center View Post
    shiot, you don't even need to rig your controller to be booted anymore. i remember this one time where this guy was afk on my team for a 25 minute duration.
    yeah exactly, the boot system is so basic that its beyond belief that no one even questions it when their all ranting about the idle boosters... people who think every player doing it should get perma banned might as well say every player talking trash should be perma banned too . while the players idle boosting really are ruining the game for everyone, and yes they should be given a warning and then a ban if they continue , the real question is why dont Epic take some time into bringing an update for the boot system anyway

Quote Originally Posted by SweeeterTundra View Post
    I agree with the 0 point thing But not sure how easy it is to fairly implement. If someone are very passive and not very good, a score of 0 is possible in game after game :P (I would think). And perhaps it would create glitches. It's probably harder than we think as EPIC has not done it.

That being said, the idea is good!

One more thing: why don't people boost in private?
    yes it is possible a player could be really bad and have 0 points still after 2 games , but theres also other factors as well. forr example , detecting how much movement has occured from the player within that time as well.. since there are plenty of other modern games which handle this just fine i dont know why Epic couldnt do it but i guess the answers gonna be it cant get done
    Last edited by tak94; 04-19-2012 at 12:54 PM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Don't worry too much about it. Just take solace in the fact that the person doing it has so little going on for them they have to boost a video game.
    "I Guess We're All Stranded Now."
    Big thanks to Saayer for my Griffin code!
    Big thanks to I NEED ACTIVEz for LGS!

Palace Guard
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Wave 0 Of Horde

Getting killed resets your afk time
    (Don't even ask )
    Host means you won't ever get kicked too.
    So little people do it I don't see the need.

Veteran

Just read your post and I agree obviously. Don't see why anyone wouldn't.
    Gears 1 1160/1250 | Gears 2 1750/1750 | Gears 3 1900/2000 | Bulletstorm 1000/1000
    Thank you Cher for the Lancer Avatar prop and the Minecraft skin pack! |Thank you NeillMcAttack for Commando Dom!| Thank you DarkAp89 for Mechanic Baird!| Thank you PopeAdrian37th for Jungle Tai and Neon!| Thank you I OU a Beatn for the Paintball Skin!| Thank you III LYCAN III for the Web Skin, the Classic Hammy and Marcus!|Thank you The Anya Bunni for Anya and Team Metal!|

Palace Guard
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: julianwelton

They certainly should because whatever they have now is not working.
    A wise man once said.

"If I could go back in time I would remove the sawed-off shotgun. Yes, I’m willing to admit when I’m wrong.”

- Clifford Murial Bleszinski

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2052368467.png

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by The Locust Horde View Post
    Getting killed resets your afk time
    (Don't even ask )
    Host means you won't ever get kicked too.
    So little people do it I don't see the need.
    the problem of idle boosters is not a Big problem, no. but it is obviously enough to warrant regular threads about people doing it. i seen a few now enough to make me think about it for a bit. even if getting killed is reseting the AFK time, then thats a bug in itself that a modern game , espicially a one as popular as gears, should not have. Many other current popular online games on the xbox right now seem to boot AFK players just fine

Quote Originally Posted by I ViCTiMiZER View Post
    Just read your post and I agree obviously. Don't see why anyone wouldn't.
    I'm glad you agree

Quote Originally Posted by julianwelton View Post
    They certainly should because whatever they have now is not working.

Agreed. The boot system now seriously needs an update and I'm surprised if this has never even been mentioned before but im guessing the answer , if any comes, is that it wont be possible. but heck, it just isnt the answer to keep on recording players who do it, and report it to Epic.. because for one i think its wasting Epics time too. All i know is from the threads i have seen is that people keep saying record it with proof and report to Epic... whys there not even a boot system to prevent this to begin with...
    Last edited by tak94; 04-19-2012 at 01:18 PM.

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: PATRICK KERR1 PSN ID: PatrickKerr1

I agree 100% that it's not good to do but is this really a rampant problem? I mean REALLY?

I've seen maybe 3-4 threads about this in the 7 months the game has been out, honestly I'd rather see Epic fix the real issues like rank reset, freezing, Mini-resets and so on.

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by PATRICK KERR1 View Post
    I agree 100% that it's not good to do but is this really a rampant problem? I mean REALLY?

I've seen maybe 3-4 threads about this in the 7 months the game has been out, honestly I'd rather see Epic fix the real issues like rank reset, freezing, Mini-resets and so on.
    yes they are all major issues as well and more. I have seen you behind some of the big Petitions around here, so can i ask you a question with a honest answer , do you really think Epic is ever going to fix any of these issues? Want my honest answer? No.

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by tak94 View Post
    yes they are all major issues as well and more. I have seen you behind some of the big Petitions around here, so can i ask you a question with a honest answer , do you really think Epic is ever going to fix any of these issues? Want my honest answer? No.
    Well to be Honest Probably not ( rank resets) since they have been around since Gears 1.
    The other two I would hope so, I have been a victim of the mini resets 3 times now, It's very annoying for all your collectables, campaign progress, Achievement progress and now execution progress to be reset.

Please understand I'm not disagreeing with you I just think if Epic is going to breakdown code and re-work it I rather see the spend time on bigger issues.

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by PATRICK KERR1 View Post
    Well to be Honest Probably not ( rank resets) since they have been around since Gears 1.
    The other two I would hope so, I have been a victim of the mini resets 3 times now, It's very annoying for all your collectables, campaign progress, Achievement progress and now execution progress to be reset.

Please understand I'm not disagreeing with you I just think if Epic is going to breakdown code and re-work it I rather see the spend time on bigger issues.
    yep i agree as well i just never seen one thread around here mentioning the flawed boot system before , because it seems like it is a forgotten issue sometimes. well most of these issues are forgotten when it comes to fixing them anyway, it seems. only time will tell if Epic ever do fix anything but i mean even your very popular medal thread just seems to be ignored . i have doubt we will ever see any of the major issues fixed , and nor any of the mini reset issues or freezing fixed. maybe i will get called a troll just for doubting it but really i can bet in a years time there will be no word closer to any update coming

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Metaphorically

I hope you realize that you are asking a developer than has an employee constantly saying "it is a lot of money and time that we are not looking to spend as of now" to fix this? I can say this won't be fixed since there are much more pressing problems that have not gotten fixed and there are 4 title updates out already.

Boomshot

Quote Originally Posted by DaRkNeSs View Post
    are you kidding? We NEED! to be able to swat turn in beats. It was game ruining. Forgot getting reset and balancing, swat turns are now in beast!!!

@OP I support this 100%. At the very least, it'll kick the person who doesn't get any points, and is just holding the team back.
    My Youtube channel
    Please check it out. I upload random clips almost weekly and I upload episodes and funny little videos now and then.<3

Banned
    Gamer IDs

yep i agree as well i just never seen one thread around here mentioning the flawed boot system before , because it seems like it is a forgotten issue sometimes. well most of these issues are forgotten when it comes to fixing them anyway, it seems. only time will tell if Epic ever do fix anything but i mean even your very popular medal thread just seems to be ignored . i have doubt we will ever see any of the major issues fixed , and nor any of the mini reset issues or freezing fixed. maybe i will get called a troll just for doubting it but really i can bet in a years time there will be no word closer to any update coming
    There have been a few but it doesn't matter, it never hurts refreshing a topic especially one asking to improve something that is broken.

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by SnipingBaird View Post
    I hope you realize that you are asking a developer than has an employee constantly saying "it is a lot of money and time that we are not looking to spend as of now" to fix this? I can say this won't be fixed since there are much more pressing problems that have not gotten fixed and there are 4 title updates out already.
    yeah but as much as most of us around here cant deny gears 3 is a fun game overall, what have those 4 title updates honestly achieved? all the major issues in this game remain

Quote Originally Posted by Screamy View Post
    @OP I support this 100%. At the very least, it'll kick the person who doesn't get any points, and is just holding the team back.
    yeah that might be annoying for someone who is playing bad but lets be honest, if they really are just a bad player and not a AFK, give them a boot at the end of the match anyway. if they are a real player they will just start matchmaking again. dont know how much advanced this needs to be exactly but every other popular online game is managing it right now

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by Screamy View Post
    are you kidding? We NEED! to be able to swat turn in beats. It was game ruining. Forgot getting reset and balancing, swat turns are now in beast!!!

i can't understand what they were thinking when 'fixing' this 'swat turn' whatever stuff. and some people claim epic only focus on important game breaking stuff. same goes for that hammerburst/longshot 'bug' on mercy which caused more trouble than fixed. smh

i agree 100% with the op aswell.
    Last edited by 24/7; 04-19-2012 at 02:06 PM.

Redeemer
    DJ'ing a wedding after defeating some evil guys.
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: RainbowDash951

I face punch/arm rip anyone I catch idle boosting in public.
    Support the Onyx Silverback! Best skin ever!
    Post your Seriously 3.0 progress here!
    Supreme Allfather Level 68S 3.0 54/65COG: Mechanic Baird / Locust: Savage Drone
    Quote Originally Posted by NP473L View Post
    I tried sliding into cover once. Turns out 'sliding' isn't a real-world mechanic. I've only just found my right foot again.

Palace Guard
    Gamer IDs

the problem of idle boosters is not a Big problem, no. but it is obviously enough to warrant regular threads about people doing it. i seen a few now enough to make me think about it for a bit. even if getting killed is reseting the AFK time, then thats a bug in itself that a modern game , espicially a one as popular as gears, should not have. Many other current popular online games on the xbox right now seem to boot AFK players just fine

I'm glad you agree

Agreed. The boot system now seriously needs an update and I'm surprised if this has never even been mentioned before but im guessing the answer , if any comes, is that it wont be possible. but heck, it just isnt the answer to keep on recording players who do it, and report it to Epic.. because for one i think its wasting Epics time too. All i know is from the threads i have seen is that people keep saying record it with proof and report to Epic... whys there not even a boot system to prevent this to begin with...
    You know what would be perfect? If after one round of inactivity a random button combo (example: ABXY) would pop up that you have to input to stay in the match. That way idle boosting would be near useless because you'd have to constantly check your screen.
    A wise man once said.

"If I could go back in time I would remove the sawed-off shotgun. Yes, I’m willing to admit when I’m wrong.”

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: MrXboxlivenoob

I'm not saying it doesn't ruin it for other players, cos i agree with this in a way. But then again, its their fault if they do that cos then its just a free kill for the other team in which its also a pain in the neck for them cos he ain't doing nothing

Banned

Yes. This should be implemented.

Marrow Fiend

Fort Qu'Appelle Saskatchewan——Wishing he can play as a Lambent Drone :(
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: LambentHammerB

Quote Originally Posted by julianwelton View Post
    You know what would be perfect? If after one round of inactivity a random button combo (example: ABXY) would pop up that you have to input to stay in the match. That way idle boosting would be near useless because you'd have to constantly check your screen.
    Turbo controllers - buttons taped down.
    Idea now doesn't work.
    GT: LambentHammerB -- Trololol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6Yjkzmleoc -- Twitter: LambentHammerB
    ||| LYCAN ||| - Commando Dom -- NFI - Savage Grenadier Elite -- Beezy8869 - Adam Fenix -- Genoo - Infected Omen -- Autopsychotic - Golden Lancer -- CallMeHost -- Golden Hammerburst -- Cher - Cole Plushie
    Flak -- MechanicBaird/Savage Kantus/Launch Skin Collection/Beta Tester T-Shirt/Stickers
    PopeAdrian37th
    - Jungle Tai/Aftermath Baird/Neon Armor -- BrainDeadDan - Brisk Skin Pack -- Richardson94 - Lambent Skin -- Parasidian - Young Dom -- GzB - Anya --DraconianBriana - Early Access -- CrypticAshes -- Team Metal

Veteran

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: DJ CARNIV AL

How awesome would it be if they changed it so when you spin around on the spot for over a minute it Boots you! I'd do it everytime i wanted to leave, Like a magic trick
    Eternal GearsFanCommunity
    TheDJCARNIVAL on Youtube

Check out our New Forum - JOIN NOW - All forumers welcome

Marrow Fiend
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: ll ALEX76 ll

Quote Originally Posted by DJ CARNIV AL View Post
    How awesome would it be if they changed it so when you spin around on the spot for over a minute it Boots you! I'd do it everytime i wanted to leave, Like a magic trick
    Not to mention that You keep your consecutive match bonus.
    Getting old

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Acidviolet

its been a while since ive seen boosters now, but they should really update it, the only problem ill find is that ill be in a match n have to do something (quickly) but get kicked, but i suppose ill have to live with that.
    id say for people that are boosting, once kicked them then minus points like on ranked
    Please watch this video and tell me what you think:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPSj2qQCjSY

The issue I've been encountering is afk boosters in Horde. Having a person that is just standing idle at the spawn is brutal.

Iron Guard

Yes. These people should be outright banned in my opinion.

Veteran
    Behind an old vehicle layin down Lancer fire despite the Horde's continuing advance. -Reno, NV
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: The 0ld Raven

Yes they should. I can tell that the counter is reset at death and the end of rounds but why must it be reset?? Why cant the AFK counter just PAUSE during death and the end of rounds and CONTINUE at respawn and the beginning of rounds.
    Warzoner #59 AKA The HammerBeast | 5 like a fist and 9 like a cat has lives
    Preferred Gears Setup: Locust Era Lancer assault rifle (left), Hammerburst Mk II assault rifle (right), Firebombs, and Gorgon SMG
    Goodbye Warzone and Ranked gametypes, you will both be missed

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SenatorIvy

Maybe I don't play enough online, but I have not seen any of this idle boosting.

Boomshot
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: MongooseRawr

I have seen people get idle booted. I have also seen people stay for extended periods of time. So I don't know how it really works.

I just got stuck with someone on my team the other night who tried to idle boost and get booted quickly. He did something to keep the controller in a certain direction and within the same game he was booted. I was glad to see it actually work.

On the other hand, I have seen some people stay for games on end with no boot. Yet at the same time, it is extremely easy to be booted in horde.

Prisoner 849
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Revive Society PSN ID: Revive_Society Wii Code: 0987-6543-2101-2345

a boot system that at the least, detects players who have stayed in a certain amount of matches/rounds and have 0 score.
    This. Is. Genius!
    Judgment: ✰ 40 | Gears 3 : \\*// | Gears 2: \\*// | "I've got the Codes"
    I would love: JT: [] AMB: [] YD: [X] YM: [] AB: [] AS: []
    Kudos: Gnashes | AliciaPitiesDaFool | HoxtonHero | Cher | Xifer | Kracker Kid
    "Sorry i don't go positive, it's hard to see the TV from the Kitchen."- Mrs.HugoTheBoss

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SewnMouthSecret

Something needs to change with it. The idle boosters have ruined many matched for a lot of us since September.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Game Over Drunk PSN ID: RobTheAlcoholic

Yeah it is especially annoying with the morons who do it in wingman games.

Seriously...

I agree, I've seen a guy be idle for 3 matches and not get kicked.

not sure if...

Palace Guard
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by LambentHammerburst View Post
    Turbo controllers - buttons taped down.
    Idea now doesn't work.
    In that situation, true, but it would decrease the amount of idle boosters by a great deal. Turbo controllers aren't as common as people think.
    A wise man once said.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: MrXboxlivenoob

Hmmm... Its hard to decide... Should they?

Seriously...

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Jim Tuna

I say just leave it alone. If you see an idle booster just report them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkio View Post
    Sorry, but really? That Jim Tuna guy is a reaper? Dude does nothing but spam the forums I have yet to come across one non spammy post from him. There are other users who are more active and contribute a lot of information/ help threads off their own initiative- they are more deserving of this opportunity. Apparently you can report spam and spam is frowned upon but here EPIC are, rewarding the spammers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast