View Poll Results: Should Onyx Guard Decoy have the abiloty to use a rifle.

Voters
268. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

258 96.27%
  • No

10 3.73%
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Palace Guard
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: lXl EVOLVE lXl

Lightbulb Onyx Guard, Where is your Rifle? [HORDE] 250+ AGREE

So I've been playing horde quite a bit lately and a friend of mine unlocked the onyx guard. To anyone who doesn't know, onyx guard spawns with a gnasher and that is all he can use. I'd like to see the onyx guard with a rifle. If he doesn't start out with one then that's fine, but trading a weapon with onyx guard could be beneficial. I am saying this because there are times when my friends aren't online and playing horde by myself is a lot of fun. If I play by myself and buy the onyx guard he could help quite a bit with a rifle. It seems that this onyx guard is the bravest player in gears as he runs directly into the enemy with NO FEAR It's a simple proposition and this thread is just to ask what the community thinks. Please post on topic, none of the typical "get more friends" answers, they lead nowhere.

So, what do you think? Should Onyx Guard have the ability to use a rifle?

Let's elaborate as well, if he should, should the weapon he spawns with be random? Should you only be allowed to trade weapons with him? Can he only pick them ^up^? ETC ETC ETC

I see the typo in the poll. ABILITY. Typed too fast on my Droid phone, apologies

Quote Originally Posted by DizzyRules View Post
    Alright everyone, I have sent the link to Quinn and Pete. If you are following either one of them feel free to go check out the tweet. Hopefully we can get a response. Thanks everyone and if you fully agree or if you are voicing an objection continue to bump this thread. All input is appreciated.

Also, if you are on twitter and would like to share this link with someone other than Quinn or Pete feel free to do so. It would most likely help the cause greatly.
    It seems the most popular suggestions are spawn him with random weapon, have the ability to swap weapons with him, be generally smarter, cost less, have the ability to repair him instead of buying all over again.
    The NO suggestion is that he is a decoy and should be treated as such. Although, the NO reply also agrees about the ability to repair him instead of buying him from the start all over again.
    Congrats people we have at least one common pro to this matter
    IDEAS

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjastyler777 View Post
    Onyx Guard - 10000
    Silverback - 12500
    The choice is obvious. 2500 are easy to get
    Quote Originally Posted by Maaaaaz View Post
    A general AI boost for the Decoy Guard would be better. He's always running off to random parts of the map and getting downed. If he could pick up weapons dropped from enemies, it would make the money spent well worth it
    Quote Originally Posted by NI Locust View Post
    What about a random weapon spawn for the onyx guard, he could spawn with a shotgun, then the next wave he gets a new weapon? Like a digger for example. Then the wave after that gets a boltok? Etc etc
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocolateBacon View Post
    Give him a rifle and some brains. Really, at this point, he's the worst fortification in Horde.
    From my experience, everytime I unlock him, he gets 1 down and then dies. Really, I just spent $5000 bucks (plus the money from all the other Decoys) for one down?
    I don't see how anyone can justify buying him. I really don't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidviolet View Post
    i agree, in beast they have rifles so why not in horde
    Quote Originally Posted by halofan365 View Post
    my same exact thoughts. my friends and i play on insane horde i upgraded to the onyx guard only just after unlocking him and that was the last time i did that after finding out i can't swap weapons with him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mashpotaters View Post
    When the Horde Command Pack was released I was so excited because of the Onyx Guard. My thought process on it was that I would get the Onyx Guard, then be able to have a bot to cover my butt. With all the Rambo's in public Horde I though I'd have a little bot support. Alright Onyx Guard, you guard that doorway, and I'll get the other one. What actually happened was very disappointing. He kept pushing the line with his Gnasher. I had to keep moving with him, and watch his back. What's even worse was that he wasn't resetting back to base after waves, so every wave was just a push farther into no mans land.

Let me trade weapons with him so that I can choose what role I want him to fulfill. If I want him to push the line I'll give him a shotgun. If I want cover fire, I'll give him a Lancer so that he can park his butt in cover and shoot. He costs a lot of money to be sending him out into the field with a Gnasher.
    Quote Originally Posted by kinmad4it View Post
    We should definitely be allowed to rebuild him immediately just like all the other foritifcations. Seems wrong that he's the only one you have to build from scratch every time.
    An intelligenve buff would be nice too, so he doesn't go on suicide missions all the time, but then with him only having a Gnasher to use he'd be useless offering covering fire. So he'd need the ability to use a rifle too, either by spawning with one, swapping or picking one up.
    Quote Originally Posted by kinmad4it View Post
    Would be nice to repair him during the pre round 30 second window we get before each wave. Get him back upto max health for the next wave. As again, he's the only fortification you can't do that to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reign View Post
    I've played Onyx Guard duty more than once (tailing him so he doesnt die) since the objective for no deaths in a round can be failed he dies. I can tell you that his health regens just like ours, at least on casual and normal difficulties.
    Quote Originally Posted by tootybananas View Post
    give him a rifle and make him smarter.
    it would also be nice if you got credit for his kills.
    OBJECTION
    Quote Originally Posted by viperousamoeba View Post
    Its a cool idea but it seems Epic wanted a decoy and not another team mate. I wouldnt have to play Horde would friends when I can have 3 or more Buff up bots. Doesn't seem like they want us to play horde alone. But yeah guys hes a decoy not Rambo, even if he thinks he is.
    Last edited by DizzyRules; 10-01-2012 at 03:38 PM.
    Big thanks to Cher, CrypticAshes, Gears of Wario and NFI for the codes and your enormous generosity. THANK YOU!
    CLICK HERE! for information on how to create a backup. DO IT BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!
    HUGE thanks to rondeau04 for the Cliff Bleszkinski & Mike Capps autographed Gears of War faceplate and all the sweet swag! YOU ARE AWESOME.
    “That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” - Christopher Hitchens

Boomshot
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Three Monkeyz

A lot of us would like a more.... "team-y" Onyx Guard. Switching weapons, commands, staying together, stuff like that.
    Thanks to oldson59, Jill, Rishy, Cher, Lycan, *Zap*, mullases, jg420, and Flak for all the epic codes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Criminologgy View Post
    Its a matter of opinion in the end and i dont argue over those, i respect your view and offer mine, nothing more or less
    Need help with pictures, signatures, or coding? Clicky!
    When was the last time YOU updated your back-up!? Clicky!

Boomshot

dude he sucks. he never gets kills, just wanders about all derpy. I had 3 going at once, so useless. All though it's super cute when they are all first made, they go meet up with each other and introduce themselves or something. :3
    My Youtube channel
    Please check it out. I upload random clips almost weekly and I upload episodes and funny little videos now and then.<3

Boomshot

I say give him a rifle at spawn, or an intelligence buff lol. So many times have I watched him charge at enemies and just end up in a melee battle with them which he almost always loses. I only buy him for the lulz coz he's pretty much useless
    ___,...---'---..---...,,,,',
    [__--_;=-o@Reign187''====
    ``/ /-'-|___|---;;;;;;;;;;;;:'

Massive Thank you to Bumble8eeTuna for my Chicks Dig the Baird tee & for being a truly EPIC boyfriend ❤ ★
    ★ Special mention to Parasidian & Rishy ★ Thank you to Capt23n for my SGE code ★ Many thanks go to Cher for the early access FoN code ★

Palace Guard
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Reign View Post
    I say give him a rifle at spawn, or an intelligence buff lol. So many times have I watched him charge at enemies and just end up in a melee battle with them which he almost always loses. I only buy him for the lulz coz he's pretty much useless
    It's true, also the thing about the gnasher is the AI seems to think they need to be close quarters to get a kill. So you have this dumb (brave?) Onyx guard point blanking a lambent or a drudge simply to commit suicide. It's fine when there's more than a couple people playing through a game of horde. However, if I'm alone or with a friend he could be much more useful with a rifle.
    Last edited by DizzyRules; 04-23-2012 at 07:35 PM.
    Big thanks to Cher, CrypticAshes, Gears of Wario and NFI for the codes and your enormous generosity. THANK YOU!
    CLICK HERE! for information on how to create a backup. DO IT BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!
    HUGE thanks to rondeau04 for the Cliff Bleszkinski & Mike Capps autographed Gears of War faceplate and all the sweet swag! YOU ARE AWESOME.
    “That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” - Christopher Hitchens

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: GunBlazinBaz

i thought EPIC fixed this in TU3 or 4

Boomshot
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Gears of Wario

He's just not worth buying.
    Quote Originally Posted by PreludeToHatred View Post
    Your date and post count are going to be reset if you're not careful, better back up your data.

GT - Gears of Wario

I'm gonna hammer you and then I'm gonna burst...GIGGITY ;-)

Redeemer
    DJ'ing a wedding after defeating some evil guys.
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: RainbowDash951

I'd give him a Torque Bow. Bots are godlike with a Torque Bow.
    Support the Onyx Silverback! Best skin ever!
    Post your Seriously 3.0 progress here!
    Supreme Allfather Level 68S 3.0 54/65COG: Mechanic Baird / Locust: Savage Drone
    Quote Originally Posted by NP473L View Post
    I tried sliding into cover once. Turns out 'sliding' isn't a real-world mechanic. I've only just found my right foot again.

Boomshot

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbow Dash View Post
    I'd give him a Torque Bow. Bots are godlike with a Torque Bow.
    5 bucks says he kills himself with the first shot lol.
    ___,...---'---..---...,,,,',
    [__--_;=-o@Reign187''====
    ``/ /-'-|___|---;;;;;;;;;;;;:'

Massive Thank you to Bumble8eeTuna for my Chicks Dig the Baird tee & for being a truly EPIC boyfriend ❤ ★
    ★ Special mention to Parasidian & Rishy ★ Thank you to Capt23n for my SGE code ★ Many thanks go to Cher for the early access FoN code ★

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SewnMouthSecret

Rifle would make him much more useful. I have purchased him a few times of late while playing alone and honestly, though he runs a bit too far into the action, I have regularly had him survive four or five waves which is a lot better than insta-death he was only good for in the past.

Redeemer
    MCDonalds, fighting off the Zombie Horde.
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: MasterAlex09

I wish he would spawn W/ a Lancer, Gnasher, Snub, and Smokes. He would stay at the main Base(the one where everyone is most of the Time)
    He could also pick-up extra weapons(Replace Gnasher W/ Torque/Boom ect... Grenade), Hold money and give it to one person at the end of every wave, Go for Active Reloads when Super Reload is on.

Remove his insta-death from Lambent/Explosives.
    Have His Gnasher For CQC encounters.
    Plant Smokes Near when he has a Longshot and starts to snipe.
    Ect...

MSgt. Shooter Person

Onyx Guard is the absolute silliest investment of money in horde. He is beyond useless!!!
    I have 3commando Doms :/

Boomshot

He should spawn with the dreaded perfect-aim, no-kick, infinite-ammo bot version of the Retro Lancer, sawed off shotty, pistol and no freaking smoke grenade!!!!
    He should have the wingman AI to stay tight with the person that upgrades him.
    I wonder when Microsoft points will replace the Dollar as the official currency?

Boomshot
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: GF Capt Ginyu

For the amount of money you have to put in to buy him (several Decoy stages and then an additional 5k) he doesn't do too much of anything. He's too reckless. More often than not he'll get 1-2 kills and then die, thus wasting over 10k.

That being said, I love the little guy and run out to revive him when he's downed. YOU SHALL NOT KILL MY FRIEND, LOCUST!

They usually end up killing us both.
    Novua Shenron

MSgt. Shooter Person

But to be fair he is designed to be a Decoy, as in a distraction, more than an actual AI partner for Horde...
    I have 3commando Doms :/

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Kidroz3

Yea give him a lancer and make him stay in the area you bought him.
    The Chopper... Get to it.

Palace Guard
    Gamer IDs

I understand he is a decoy, but he's supposed to be an interactive assistant decoy. Not a suicidal die in 15 seconds decoy.

Palace Guard
    Gamer IDs

Bump. Let's discuss this some more.

Boomshot
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by RockChucker View Post
    He should spawn with the dreaded perfect-aim, no-kick, infinite-ammo bot version of the Retro Lancer, sawed off shotty, pistol and no freaking smoke grenade!!!!
    He should have the wingman AI to stay tight with the person that upgrades him.

This would be ****ing awesome lol
    Also, lots more health for insane Horde.
    Your date and post count are going to be reset if you're not careful, better back up your data.

GT - Gears of Wario

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: RoboSeal1

I would love to see an insane like bot of onyx guard with full capabilites! That way its not so lonely for some solo horders

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: The Wavegun

I wish he was at least a little smarter.
    Staying with teammates, having a rifle to pick off enemies, spot as well, and just make overall smart decisions.

Only affected by difficultly of course. So a causal onyx guard would wonder off and die, as an insane onyx guard would be a great teammate and much more.

Iron Guard

Completely useless in higher difficulties. They really didn't think this through

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Agro Nerdz

I say they give the decoy one more tier. Last tier is Onyx Guard that spawns with Lancer, Spots enemies, Can be commanded, and at the beginning of each wave plants 1 frag.

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: RoboSeal1

Make him fully functional bot with gnasher lancer snub and smoke nade with ability to pickup dropped weapons, make him smart by difficulty

Example: playing on casual gives you a casual bot, insane horde you get smart insane bot

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: ElGordo94

I think he should spawn with a random primary weapon. You know sometimes he has a Lancer, but the second time he has a sawed-off(even thought this would be horrible)

But you should be able to switch weapons with him.

Boomshot
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by RoboSeal1 View Post
    Make him fully functional bot with gnasher lancer snub and smoke nade with ability to pickup dropped weapons, make him smart by difficulty

Example: playing on casual gives you a casual bot, insane horde you get smart insane bot
    Don't give him a smoke.
    He'll just spin it for an hour.

GT - Gears of Wario

Palace Guard
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Gears of Wario View Post
    Don't give him a smoke.
    He'll just spin it for an hour.
    Lol, seriously. A rifle. That's it. It doesn't need to be over the top. Just spawn with a rifle or make it random at the spawn. Simple and I'm sure we'd be much happier. Insane horde with a useless interactive decoy is just a waste of money. He should be able to help more imo.

Veteran
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: GhostofDelta2

So I've been playing horde quite a bit lately and a friend of mine unlocked the onyx guard. To anyone who doesn't know, onyx guard spawns with a gnasher and that is all he can use. I'd like to see the onyx guard with a rifle. If he doesn't start out with one then that's fine, but trading a weapon with onyx guard could be beneficial. I am saying this because there are times when my friends aren't online and playing horde by myself is a lot of fun. If I play by myself and buy the onyx guard he could help quite a bit with a rifle. It seems that this onyx guard is the bravest player in gears as he runs directly into the enemy with NO FEAR It's a simple proposition and this thread is just to ask what the community thinks. Please post on topic, none of the typical "get more friends" answers, they lead nowhere.

So, what do you think? Should Onyx Guard have the ability to use a rifle?

Let's elaborate as well, if he should, should the weapon he spawns with be random? Should you only be allowed to trade weapons with him? Can he only pick them ? ETC ETC ETC
    When I read your thread, I thought this was referring to the Tu4 release notes where Epic stated that the Onyx Guard bot no longer loses his rifle after using a Vulcan (Not verbatim).

The Onyx guard has never had, before or after the title update, any other weapon than the Gnasher. I was incredibly confused by those release notes.

Edit: You also cannot repair/rebuild the Onyx Guard decoy.
    Last edited by Ghostofdelta2; 04-18-2012 at 02:55 AM.
    \\★// GhostofDelta2 \\★//
    My idea for a shorter Horde varation

Gears 1 1250/1250 - Gears 1(PC) 1000/1000 - Gears 2 1750/1750 - Gears 3 2000/2000 - Gears Judas 1320/1500

Palace Guard
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostofdelta2 View Post
    When I read your thread, I thought this was referring to the Tu4 release notes where Epic stated that the Onyx Guard bot no longer loses his rifle after using a Vulcan (Not verbatim).

The Onyx guard has never had, before or after the title update, any other weapon than the Gnasher. I was incredibly confused by those release notes.
    I know what you mean. Think he should have the ability to use a rifle?

Skaarj
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: WouldbeAssassin

The Onyx Guard with a rifle would be way more useful, at the moment the money is better spent on a sentry or command center.
    "Going cold-turkey isn't as delicious as it sounds." H.J.Simpson

Jup, Onyx guard needs an intelligence buff. I never buy him, cuz it's a waste of money.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Atma01

Yeah I hate the disparity between the Onyx Guard AI in Beast and the Horde Decoy. In Beast they seem to be smart enough to hold a Zerker in place with flame, whilst bringing a Oneshot or Hammer to bear on it. Like super co-ordinated. Then the Horde Decoy runs in like LEROY JENKINS thinking he is some Gnasher Vet and just gets gunned down like a noob.

I'd kill for some Tac Com options to give him like;
    - Hold this area
    - Follow me/them
    - Use this fortification/Silverback
    - Go nuts
    Etc.

And be able to swap weapons with him, have him start with a Lancer/Gnasher/Snub loadout.

Hopefully it is on some Devs list of things to address once time frees up.
    "Change is inevitable, all you can do is ensure that it happens in your favor." - Tzeentch

Sharing is caring, but friendship is magic. Always have someone to watch your back.

Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: The Ninjastyler

Onyx Guard - 10000
    Silverback - 12500
    My Anime List
    HATSUNE MIKU RULES THE MULTIVERSE
    Thank you *Zap* for an awesome Com Dom code
    Thank you PopeAdrian37th for EE Baird and Jungle Tai!

Palace Guard
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjastyler777 View Post
    Onyx Guard - 10000
    Silverback - 12500
    Yeah, the silverback is much more useful for the money.

Boomshot
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh C Slater

I voted yes...as it is he just Hellen Kellars his way around the map anyways...not worth my $15k or w.e. it is

Edit: didn't elaborate...I think he should be spawned or "created" with a Rifle. maybe whatever rifle you have equipped, takes a bit of your ammo and maybe you have to keep him supplied with ammo?...at the very least he should be able to pick up an old weapon off the ground.
    Last edited by CanadianGnasher; 04-18-2012 at 02:07 PM.
    LYCAN - SGE | FL4K - Launch Skins | *Zap* - SK | Carmine COG - MB | NFI - Gold Lancer | Dantes Rage - Flaming Gnasher
    Thank you all for your generosity.

Prisoner 849
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Phlegethon

Me and my friends were debating the option of having several different types of Onyx Guard.

Give one a lancer, another a boomshot, another a sniper and so on.

But I'd accept a bot that camps near me. Or helps the lowest person on the team.

Something...anything over what we currently have.
    I'm a contributor for Solidus Gaming, a site dedicated to the latest news and reviews for all types of games and consoles.
    http://s.olid.us
    I also have a blog, which I use to talk about many things, such as my writing projects, my trips to America and of course my gaming experiences.
    www.writingonthecitadel.wordpress.com
    Finally here is a link to my twitter. Follow me! https://twitter.com/Phlegethon92

Palace Guard
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Phlegethon View Post
    Me and my friends were debating the option of having several different types of Onyx Guard.

Give one a lancer, another a boomshot, another a sniper and so on.

But I'd accept a bot that camps near me. Or helps the lowest person on the team.

Something...anything over what we currently have.
    If he just had the ability to hold other weapons then someone could buy whatever they want him to hold. We should have to supply him with the ammo if he runs out.

Veteran
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: UIR Onyx Scott PSN ID: NI_Locust

Who actually buys the onyx guard decoy? He is useless!

I buy him for the laughs, hilarious!
    @Scott_Lyle93

Extremely Serious

Marrow Fiend
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Maaaaaz

A general AI boost for the Decoy Guard would be better. He's always running off to random parts of the map and getting downed. If he could pick up weapons dropped from enemies, it would make the money spent well worth it
    Civilian Anya -Flame Grenadier
    Level 47/100
    Team Metal Hammerburst - Team Metal Gnasher

The Retro Lancer- it has the DAMAGE and RANGE of the HB; it has the CLIP of the lancer; it has the 2PIECE of the Gnasher. And people say it's not OP?
    Quote Originally Posted by MIST GHILLIE View Post
    its kind of sad everything epic hates about gears is everything what made the first 2 games completely unique and straight up classics.

Palace Guard
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Maaaaaz View Post
    That's also a good idea. As long as he doesn't go off and commit suicide.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast