MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: cavejohnson2012

Default Sawn-Off Shotgun vs Gnasher Shotgun

I'm new to GEOW3 multiplayer, and I'm looking for overall opinions on which is better.

If you are conflicted/unsure or don't think either one is better, do explain which do you think is better for which situation.

To me, it seems to me that the difference is that the Sawn-Off does a lot more damage (resulting in OHKO's), but it suffers from a painfully slow reload time and really small ammo clip. The Gnasher Shotgun, does less damage, but you can fire several shots before having to vulnerably reload, making it the more versatile choice.

My opinion, is that for players who mainly use the rifle and pistol, and rarely engage in Shotgun play, Sawn-Off would be effective in making the small amount of times that they do need it really helpful. Use rifle, switch to Sawn-Off, go back to using rifle. Though, it's only good if you have excellent aim. If you miss with it, you are dead. Gnasher in all other situations.

Am I on the right track here?

Banned

The Sawed-Off is actually a terrible weapon for Versus. It can be used in a damaging way but the ammo capacity kind of lowers the amount of kill's you can get. The Gnasher however is so powerful that it sometimes be's called Overpowered.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: BlaringGosling4

your best bet is to use the gnasher. even from 7 feet away it does massive damage

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking.

My math is that if the Gnasher is half as powerful as the Sawn-Off, but can shoot at a 4-times faster rate, than that is a two to one advantage.

Also, you can damage 2 enemies instead of just one, in the same few seconds.

No debate about it, the Gnasher wins hands down. However, I am a SOS user and I like using it, but EPIC has made the Gnasher to best any and every weapon in Gears 3. I don't care for arguing the facts about the shotguns, I'm just calling it how I see it.
    Signature removed, over allowed size

Boomshot
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TragicFigure7

Tried using the sawed off for the hell of it and you might as well be putting the thing in their mouth to get the kill. Best bet is to use the gnasher in any online versus match.
    Despite all my rage I am still just a rat in a cage
    Born 2 Saw
    GT: TragicFigure7

Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: xTouRisTofDuTYx

Quote Originally Posted by Bspencer View Post
    No debate about it, the Gnasher wins hands down. However, I am a SOS user and I like using it, but EPIC has made the Gnasher to best any and every weapon in Gears 3. I don't care for arguing the facts about the shotguns, I'm just calling it how I see it.
    Basically what he said. But like he said if you play smart you can still use the SO and have a lot of fun. Its the only other gun I have to gold besides my lancer. Right now I'm working on the retro and the gnasher. but I enjoy using the SO more. But to which is better, it is definitely the gnasher. The gnasher has a chance to win a one on one with any weapon, the SO definitely does not.
    Proud GearHead since 2006.
    Favorite Cog: Commando Dom/ Tai Kaliso/Adam Fenix
    Favorite Locust: Theron Elite/ Savage Theron
    ô@PeteNub: It's a 1 hit kill with a ridiculous refire rate, a super fast reload, too much ammo, easiest active reload. Yeah it's imbalanced.ö
    ô@quinndelhoyo:bypasses DBNO, highest damage output per shot, noob friendly active reload. It excels more than it should.ö

Redeemer
    hiding in the slab :D with a sawed-off waiting For You to find me XD

Quote Originally Posted by DarkNinja View Post
    The Gnasher is so powerful that it sometimes be's called Overpowered.
    Lol and spongy XD

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

so, it looks like we have a consensus.

and the above poster's sig sums it up basically

Boomshot
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh C Slater

sawed-off for life.
    LYCAN - SGE | FL4K - Launch Skins | *Zap* - SK | Carmine COG - MB | NFI - Gold Lancer | Dantes Rage - Flaming Gnasher
    Thank you all for your generosity.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: WarDecoy II

Quote Originally Posted by tadpole25 View Post
    I'm new to GEOW3 multiplayer, and I'm looking for overall opinions on which is better.

If you are conflicted/unsure or don't think either one is better, do explain which do you think is better for which situation.

To me, it seems to me that the difference is that the Sawn-Off does a lot more damage (resulting in OHKO's), but it suffers from a painfully slow reload time and really small ammo clip. The Gnasher Shotgun, does less damage, but you can fire several shots before having to vulnerably reload, making it the more versatile choice.

My opinion, is that for players who mainly use the rifle and pistol, and rarely engage in Shotgun play, Sawn-Off would be effective in making the small amount of times that they do need it really helpful. Use rifle, switch to Sawn-Off, go back to using rifle. Though, it's only good if you have excellent aim. If you miss with it, you are dead. Gnasher in all other situations.

Am I on the right track here?
    It's GOW 3, not GEOW 3

It's Sawed-Off, Not Sawn-Off Shotgun
    What i've been playing since GoW J flopped.

http://g.bf3stats.com/360/H4pfi0Bs/WarDecoy%20II.png

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: KatGunz

I highly recommend the gnasher.
    Gamertag: KatGunz

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianGnasher View Post
    sawed-off for life.
    Sarcasm Eh.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by KatGunz View Post
    I highly recommend the gnasher.
    Gotta Agree

MSgt. Shooter Person

Gnasher, because it doesn't ruin my gaming experience.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by WarDecoy II View Post
    It's GOW 3, not GEOW 3

It's Sawed-Off, Not Sawn-Off Shotgun
    1. GEOW, to distinguish it from God of War, which in all fairness, came first.

2. Grammar nazi -_-

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by tadpole25 View Post
    1. GEOW, to distinguish it from God of War, which in all fairness, came first.

2. Grammar nazi -_-
    Your At Epic Games Forums, God Of War Means Nothing to Anyone

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by WarDecoy II View Post
    Your At Epic Games Forums, God Of War Means Nothing to Anyone
    That's great and all, but I think we should get back on topic.

Does anyone think there is a situation where S-O trumps Gnasher?

Boomshot
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: The Krylling

Go for what ever suits the moment. For smaller and tighter stages, the SOS is pretty decent to use. Stages like Cove and Raven Down are prime examples. A prime example of a situation of when to use it-- is when the oppossing team wants a gnasher fest. This means you'll have 2 or more people trying to hog your head for a kill and usually in the form of hip firing and them missing quite a bit. It gets people to back off and that way you can resituate yourself.

A gnasher will get you out of a good jam. It has really solid range backed by a lot of ammo. I wouldn't suggest active reloading more than one shot at a time. it's pretty much the ultimate go to weapon in gears.

Skaarj
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: DSxCallOfBooty

The Gnasher is what most people prefer, but don't immediately throw away your Sawed-Off. Sawed-Off doesn't have any sort of range at all, you've got to be extremely close to be effective with it. But, the huge spread in it's limited range means you don't have to be that accurate. Depends on your playstyle, the Gnasher works good if you want a versatile secondary that'll save your ass when you need it to. The Sawed-Off isn't really suited to crowd control though, it's more of a weapon you switch to when there's a guy punching you in the face and you want to split him in half.

As a final note, don't zoom in with the Sawed-Off. It doesn't increase your range, accuracy, anything, at least not by a noticeable or significant amount. Gnasher should be hipfired at close-range, but zooming it, especially when you've got an Active going, can lead to close-mid range downs.
    Proud owner of Gears 1-3. Currently playing: Gears 3, Soulcalibur V, Skyrim, Starcraft 2, Mass Effect 3, Minecraft, and 3079.
    Gamertag is DSxCallOfBooty, feel free to message me if you want. Might not accept unless you give me a reason though, I already have quite a few friends who I regularly play with on Xbox.

MSgt. Shooter Person

The gnasher cause i like to actually aim.