Default Rain system withing UDK

Hey guys,
    Basically for my university assignment we were challenged to create a level based on a piece of music. I have almost completed my level but I have been trying to add rain to the outside sections of it. I have tried numerous tutorials and I was wondering if anyone has any idea how I could achieve a rain effect. I'm using the 2012-03 editor.

This is the tutorial I made the most process in by using planes (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e3UEGl7YDA).Only problem is that when I apply the material to the plane and in the editor window it looks like a success but when I build and play my level they appear as solid black planes that you can walk through....HELP!

Any suggestions would be much appreciated
    Thanks

@Nchase To be frank, I have no idea. I would assume there was a weather system implemented into UDK, but I've never tried that. You could use particle effects, but I'm not sure how well that'd work.

I have been looking into using a particle emitter but im not very experienced creating my own effects so am pretty much crashing and burning when it comes to that

@Nchase Well, a little notice: UDN fails to explain the sprite system. Essentially, UDK does particles through a sprite system, though how that works I have no idea. 3D buzz failed to explain it when I went through their tutorials and UDN doesn't explain it in it's content creation area. So essentially, I have no idea either; hopefully someone more experienced will come in and help. :S

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by Nchase View Post
    they appear as solid black planes
    Hm weird. I just tried that tutorial and it works just fine with only a translucent material. How does your material setup look like? Do you have proper alpha textures and the right material settings?

I figured it would be something to do with the material so then I followed the rain material tutorial from the same guy linked in the video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MR5uC...notation_26043) and still just black planes I can walk through. If I go through the tutorial again I might die :P

MSgt. Shooter Person

That shouldn't be the case. Though you only get that error within the level after lighting rebuild? Preview in viewport, material editor etc. looks fine?

Could you provide more information, screenshots maybe, on your level layout and plane properties?

I have done exactly as he has in the video, hollow box 1024x1024x1024 then created a plane 1024x1024 then placed the rain material onto the plane. Material is set up as two sided, BLEND_Translucent and MLM_Unlit with the alpha channel plugged into opacity. Rain falls and looks great in the editor viewport but when lighting is build, just a black plane that i can walk through

Okay well now its magically fixed......

MSgt. Shooter Person

so you're good?