Default The Children (WIP Horror)

I am a one person developer (unfortunately) at the moment. I am developing a game called "The Children", a horror game. Basically, as a bit of the plot, you are an eight year old boy named Taylor, you just woke up. The noise of water surrounds you, and you feel wet. You move, and hear the sloshing of water. You open your eyes. You are in a strange house. A basement, and see a broken pipe, pouring water. You need to get out, and find your home. There is banging on the doors, and strange apparitions moving around the house. Get out, and quick.

Edit: I am hopefully getting together my team.
    Team Members:
    JoeyR99 (Lead Level Design, Coder)
    Hopefully to join:
    houghtob123 (3d Modelling/Artist)

Gameplay
    You are a small defenseless child, needing to escape a kidnappers house. You need to survive, and find your home.

Plans
    I hope to get a team to help me develop the project. I am also planning to sell the game commercially for 10USD.

Here is a teaser photo

Last edited by JoeyR99; 04-09-2012 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Team

Boomshot

Are you sure a child abuser kidnapping a kid and potentially killing him is a theme that will go over well with buyers though? It was done tastefully in Heavy Rain, although no actual violence was ever seen towards the children. Your description just seems a little to creepy to me (not in a scary horror way).

Quote Originally Posted by JessieG View Post
    Are you sure a child abuser kidnapping a kid and potentially killing him is a theme that will go over well with buyers though? It was done tastefully in Heavy Rain, although no actual violence was ever seen towards the children. Your description just seems a little to creepy to me (not in a scary horror way).
    True, no violence will be seen to the child, but you make the choice on wanting to buy the game, I may change the plot, character, etc., but this is just an "as of now" state.

MSgt. Shooter Person

I agree with JessieG... this is not the kind of game i'd buy lol

Here is a new picture for you guys:

Maybe put a supernatural spin on it.
    Sort of like Steven Kings "It". Scratch "kidnapper" and focus on the reason kids are being taken. Maybe to eat them by some type of child eating creature. Just don't show them getting eaten. lol. I think of a visual for the creature sort of like the movie "Mimic". How it cloaks itself as a human. That movie always creeps me out. I always knew cockroaches got that big. I knew it.
    The player could be the smart kid that cleverly gets free but has to find a way out. Yet in the process decides to free the others.
    "child abuser. You fall asleep in the back of the mans van"
    that is too creepy like Jesse stated.
    Making it too realistic can kind of scare folks off rather than to play.

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooorrrrr try this. Reverse the roles. I hate giving out ideas I could use, but I'm already too busy to switch games. lol.
    Make the kids the kidnappers. The title is called "The Children"
    The children of the corn is played out now. Make a game about creepy kids who kidnap grown ups, and eat them. You don't suspect kids to be killers.
    Well maybe the ones in juvenile detention, but you know what I mean.
    Also you can make the main player a grown up who can be a nosy reporter who stumble across the truth. Or even better ad creativity--a little boy who witnesses his parents get taken, and the little boy follows them to where they are being held ready to be eaten. You choose the creepy environment.
    Just know that the little boy should be tough or something.

Alright that's enough tips. Please avoid your original. lol.

My portfolio:
    http://www.michaeljcollinsdreamart.com.

-
    Last edited by Cryslin; 04-09-2012 at 01:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Winwarproductions View Post
    Maybe put a supernatural spin on it.
    Sort of like Steven Kings "It". Scratch "kidnapper" and focus on the reason kids are being taken. Maybe to eat them by some type of child eating creature. Just don't show them getting eaten. lol. I think of a visual for the creature sort of like the movie "Mimic". How it cloaks itself as a human. That movie always creeps me out. I always knew cockroaches got that big. I knew it.
    The player could be the smart kid that cleverly gets free but has to find a way out. Yet in the process decides to free the others.
    that is too creepy like Jesse stated.
    Making it too realistic can kind of scare folks off rather than to play.

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooorrrrr try this. Reverse the roles. I hate giving out ideas I could use, but I'm already too busy to switch games. lol.
    Make the kids the kidnappers. The title is called "The Children"
    The children of the corn is played out now. Make a game about creepy kids who kidnap grown ups, and eat them. You don't suspect kids to be killers.
    Well maybe the ones in juvenile detention, but you know what I mean.
    Also you can make the main player a grown up who can be a nosy reporter who stumble across the truth. Or even better ad creativity--a little boy who witnesses his parents get taken, and the little boy follows them to where they are being held ready to be eaten. You choose the creepy environment.
    Just know that the little boy should be tough or something.

Alright that's enough tips. Please avoid your original. lol.

My portfolio:
    htp://www.michaeljcollinsdreamart.com.

-

I LOVE your idea, if I can use it and change the story, will you press charges/put royalties on this story if I commercially use it?

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: houghtob1234

I'm a beginner modeler with a bit of experience in Blender 2.6 but I love horror games. If you want I will help in any way plausible.

Quote Originally Posted by houghtob123 View Post
    I'm a beginner modeler with a bit of experience in Blender 2.6 but I love horror games. If you want I will help in any way plausible.
    I truly do need help with art, if you can, send me some examples (pictures) of your art, or portfolio, then we can work from there.

Lol. I don't care what you do with it. There's plenty more where that comes from maaaaan. Just not today. I'm an author so I love telling stories. I'm getting ready to put 2 books on ibooks in a second as well. I will never run out of useful ideas. It's just that someone needed to dust the creepy off your original idea. lol. So I was sitting here thinking of something that could fix it. I really don't care too much about visuals when I play games if the story has me really interested. Just don't make your story one note and clear cut all the time. Try to find different perspectives for the characters of your stories and figure out which one will sound better in the end. Figure out which story is a little interestingly complex to show that you care about the story, but will make since to everyone and not just you. Well that is if you would like to "make dat paypah" Try not to alienate parents from buying a game for their child or teenager because the game probably shows how kids get kidnapped and murdered. lol. It might take them down memory lane. Throw a unicorn in there or something. lol. Ahhh that's funny.
    It would be cool to see someone try to bring what I stated to life. Which ever one of the ideas I stated to you, try not to half step it or it will turn into a wasted idea.

Alrighty good luck to ya and the folks you recruit. Oh and yes again, use the ideas if you would like.

My portfolio:
    http://www.michaeljcollinsdreamart.com.

-
    Last edited by Cryslin; 04-09-2012 at 01:26 PM.

I still have no concept artist, so I bit down to the bone and tried making some concept art myself. Here is the first concept art for the monster.

Prisoner 849
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Black Fang666

I like the child abuser version better. At least that would be unique and feel like it hadn't been toned down to cater to a larger audience. You could go for supernatural child eater and still keep it from feeling toned down though, I suppose. It will all depend on the execution.
    Want to collaborate? Want to chat UDK? Message me on Skype, Craig Delancy. Check out my UDK Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/xblBlack...ew=0&flow=grid

MSgt. Shooter Person

Man if you rly want to make a horror game with children, I'd suggest you to take a look at a game called Limbo. Of course the camera, gameplay etc are different from your game, but the way they did it (sounds etc)... is worth taking a look, it's awesome. It's simple but it's easily one of the most horrifying games i've ever played.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Wait. You said there was concept art? Where?

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

I'm glad so much progress is being made here.
    I believe that if more people tried Blender in game development, it would also rise rather fast as a competitor to Maya and 3ds Max.