Cool Movie Battles III (Star Wars on UDK!)

Our original modification, Movie Battles II, was built on the modified Quake 3 game engine for the game Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy. After over 8 years of continuous work on MB2 we decided it was time to expand, learn from our mistakes, and most importantly, to create a better and more well rounded game. Movie Battles II was also a sequel in itself to the original Movie Battles built for Jedi Knight: Jedi Outcast. After those 8 years, and numerous releases we are now looking to make yet another, more advanced, sequel to Movie Battles II - Movie Battles III

Movie Battles II is a class-based, team-orientated Third AND First Person Shooter. It features modes such as Assault (Aka Siege), Duel with sub modes: Full Authentic, Semi-Authentic, and Open.You can see more about Movie Battles II in the above ModDB link. Or you can view the trailer below from almost 2 years ago. Movie Battles II also features a high level of player-made content for the game also viewable on the ModDB link above.

Movie Battles III is the sequel to that, currently only featuring Deathmatch and Team Deathmatch modes to focus our efforts. More, including those above, will be available in the future.

We have been working on Movie Battles III for a little over a year now as a partial team. And roughly 6 months before that two developers (Wildebeest and MaceMadunusus) set off to do some experiments in UDK to see if it could be a potential candidate for our new game. After those 6 months, we began our early development cycles. We brought in more members of the Movie Battles II development team to have a go at content creation.

Above is the official announcement trailer which was released pretty much exactly a year ago. This is filmed on less than 6 months of work on our busy schedules, since we all do this for free. After the announcement was posted, Movie Battles II's existing beta testing team was brought into MB3's realm to give it a go. This allowed us to get a lot of feedback, and hone the games first few features.

Since then, more weapons, force powers, and characters have been implemented and a few maps are in their testing cycles.

Our development team, because of years of work on Quake 3, is a little slow on content development in UDK as we are not quite used to the new tech yet. But we are making use of it to the best of our abilities. Which brings me to the actual recruiting statements.

We are always looking for new talent, even if you're coming from an old engine looking to see whats new: if you've got the skills, we would love to have you! We are particularly in need of HUD/UI designers using ScaleForm in UDK. We have lengthy To-Do lists, so you wouldn't run out of anything to work on!

We do have the following list of positions open for application. Our team is currently fairly small and busy with life, so we could use all the help we could get for those enthusiastic about the project! Don't forget to view the Movie Battles III ModDB page as well! Moddb.com

* Programmers (UnrealScript)
    * Character Modelers (Including texturing)
    * Character Animators
    * Weapon Modelers (Including texturing)
    * Prop Modelers (To speed up level production)
    * Level Designers
    * ScaleForm/Flash UI Artists.

For those interested in immediately applying, please register and PM Wildebeest / write an application here: http://community.moviebattles.com/forum.php

If anyone has any questions, feel free to post below and I will be able to answer them as soon as possible! Remember, this is an unpaid/hobby project! Thanks everyone!
    Last edited by Lervish; 04-07-2012 at 11:52 AM.

Its like a pimped version of starwars battlefront. I like! I have to say im not the biggest fan of star wars. But i can tell you straight up, i wanna play your game.

Thanks! You're on the right track, MB2's main game mode is similar to the Battlefront series in terms of classes etc, but the gameplay is actually closer to Counter Strike. Short rounds, fast-paced gameplay, customizable abilities and weaponry. I like to think of MB2 as a mix of CS and TF2 in Star Wars universe.

However, MB3 is currently being developed for DM/TDM gameplay, but the above description is what we're ultimately aiming for.

MB2 seems like fun, do you know where I could find Jedi Academy these days? Also good luck with MB3!

Quote Originally Posted by DarthEsteban View Post
    MB2 seems like fun, do you know where I could find Jedi Academy these days? Also good luck with MB3!
    You can find Jedi Academy on Steam, it usually goes on sale fairly frequently as well. (Currently up for $10)

And thanks!
    Level Designer on Movie Battles II (ID Tech 3) and Movie Battles III (UDK)
    http://www.moviebattles.com/

Some WIP screenies. We're still very much open for applications!

looking good im love star wars

Wow, really cool progress. I hope you find more people who will work on this

Iron Guard

Now that you're moving this off of their tech as a mod and more towards a stand alone project using UDK do you know what that will mean in terms of legal implications for use of copyright materials? I'm not sure how attached you are to the name but it might be more fitting to change it from 'Movie Battles' to 'Legal Battles' Heh, sorry, couldn't resist.
    ~Ryan Wiancko - Producer
    Ironbelly Studios -
    AAA Quality Services at Indie Prices
    UDK Developer & Service Provider(2D,3D,UI,Animation,VFX,Audio,Code) for PC, Console and Mobile
    Follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/ironbellystudios

Quote Originally Posted by ironbelly View Post
    Now that you're moving this off of their tech as a mod and more towards a stand alone project using UDK do you know what that will mean in terms of legal implications for use of copyright materials?
    In all of our profiles, such as ModDB and YouTube we have clear disclaimers such that: "THIS GAME IS NOT MADE, DISTRIBUTED, OR SUPPORTED BY LUCASARTS ENTERTAINMENT COMPANY LLC. ELEMENTS TM & ę LUCASARTS ENTERTAINMENT COMPANY LLC AND/OR ITS LICENSORS."

While this doesn't get us out of it completely, we are at the very least not claiming the copyright for it at all. If LA decides to take any action against us, I think most of us would prefer the chance to have them take us in rather than shut us down. Our original mod has been known to be fairly successful and features in magazines such as PC Gamer (UK edition), as well as other magazines in poland, germany etc. and reached into the top 100 on ModDB for 3+ years in a row as some examples that I can think of.

As it is the THIRD game this team has done, I would hope that they take things like that into consideration. LA as well as other companies haven't been taking any huge actions recently anyway.

In the end, we aren't claiming any copyright for the original designs and locations. We even have disclaimers in our profiles saying that this is not an official game. In addition to that, this is free-to-play, if it was paid there would likely be a MUCH different story.

I know I'd definitely hire you if I were LA, project looks very promising!
    I wish you all the best and look forward to playing it.

As Mace stated there shouldn't be any legal implications. If there will be it's unfortunate of course, but I like to consider the project similar to all the fan-made lightsaber / otherwise SW related films on YouTube for example. A non-profit, fan-made project doesn't hurt LA at all.

Redeemer

Quote Originally Posted by Lervish View Post
    As Mace stated there shouldn't be any legal implications. If there will be it's unfortunate of course, but I like to consider the project similar to all the fan-made lightsaber / otherwise SW related films on YouTube for example. A non-profit, fan-made project doesn't hurt LA at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lervish View Post
    A non-profit, fan-made project doesn't hurt LA at all.

YES IT IS ILEGAL TO MAKE FAN GAMES WITH OR WITHOUT PROFIT.

For the last time, oh my god I can't believe the amount of people who still think you can make fan games.
    Last edited by Saishy; 05-17-2012 at 07:12 PM.
    Lead Programmer
    It's the Only NEET Thing to Do

Programming for non-fiction.
    I'm the function of my code. Conditions are my body and calls are my blood. I have input over a thousand lines. Unknown of bugs, nor known to work. Have withstand coffee to create many programs. Yet, those hands will never code anything again. So, as I pray, Unlimited Code Works.

Iron Guard

hahaha, I love that .gif , god I could have used that so many times by now around here. Go check out the video series 'everything's a remix' , it goes over some of the copyright law and yea the law stipulates and doing anything for any reason involving, even incidentally, the work of others is illegal. It's outdated and needs to be overhauled sure, but there's no ifs ands or buts about it.
    ~Ryan Wiancko - Producer
    Ironbelly Studios -
    UDK Developer & Service Provider(2D,3D,UI,Animation,VFX,Audio,Code) for PC, Console and Mobile

Well, I guess I have got to tell you guys part of the story that you don't know. Only members of the existing Movie Battles 2 Development team and community know what has been happening throughout the years.

First off, I guess you guys aren't really following the name well. This is for Movie Battles 3. Which means this is the third game that this team has done, and they have had the same style and gameplay throughout 10 years. This is likely longer than you guys have been modding or making games. As a team, would we want to go into new territory with something that is completely foreign to us, or start off with something we are familiar with? My guess is no, especially when you have been successfully doing something for ten whole years. Movie Battles 3 is the latest segment in the three games, with only a little over a year of development into it. Some of us aren't necessarily doing this because we are die-hard star wars fans (I am only a fan, not a die hard fan for example. I like it, but I don't go crazy over it) but we are doing it because it is familiar and we know how it works.

Secondly, Our currently developed mod Movie Battles II uses the Quake 3 engine. However, it runs in Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy which uses a modified version of the engine. This version of the engine added an entirely new effects system, a new scripting system (Icarus), a new model system (Ghoul2), and some visual upgrades like Dynamic Glow (Early variant of Bloom). Most of you may know, that Quake 3 is open source. However, the JKA variant is not.

Over the last few years we have been plagued by bugs and exploits that root from Quake 3 itself and are not bugs that we have developed or even developed by Raven Soft. One of them most namely is Passthroughs. This is where the lightsaber passes through characters in certain animations. It became more noticeable when we increased the accuracy of lightsabers calculations, and increased the accuracy of hitboxes. This issue is because the bounding boxes created in some animations that is used in calculations can be incorrectly placed. After some research we found it was rooted in Quake 3. Another issue we have been plagued with lately is exploit attacks and something known to us as Server Redirects. Server redirects is basically where an unknown party uses a ghost server that sends heartbeats and receives challenge requests from the Master Server at Activision. In doing so, they are allowed to redirect players to different servers when they connect to a server they want to connect. This results in them joining a different server than they wanted to, getting confused, not having a good time, and leaving. These attacks also affected ALL Quake 3 type games simultaneously. We had reports of it affecting games as new as Call of Duty 4. However, these attacks were directed at us because of the other attacks that had happened before hand that we were able to patch out, plus the fact that even those games were being redirected to MB2. For about a month, this plagued all Quake 3 games and made JKA completely unplayable. It only returned to normal once we were able to patch out things with the effort of dozens of people in the community of all of those games. Right now, servers are under attack by DDOS attacks and have been since November.

Thirdly, for years the development team and the community has been asking LA and Ravensoft for the engine source files so that we can fix these issues. Every time the ball gets rolling, something happens such as the recession and the developers working on it get laid off. Not to mention that the master server itself that is literally keeping these games alive frequently dies for weeks on end (Most recently it was down for 2 weeks). So much that people in the communities have started creating their own master servers and server lists. Even though Quake 3 has had its source released, we simply cannot recreate a lot of the systems developed by Ravensoft specifically for this game in order to port it over and fix a lot of the issues we may have. It also didn't help that JKA was no where to be found until it was added to steam not too long ago.

So point being, LA and Activision are essentially standing by while our game and theirs dies. This is all beyond our control. We would love to continue to develop and improve MB2 (And still have plans to for at least the next 2 years). However, with all this happening we have been essentially left with no choice but to move to a newer and more solidly supported engine. And in this case, we chose UDK. If you want to bash us for it, or say things like ITS ILLEGAL. Please step back. We know the risks of what we are doing. We know we are not above the law, but we also believe that we have a strong case and that more people could help us rather than try to defeat us. Helping us would allow us to help fill the void of a lack of proper star wars games from Lucas Arts (Like a new Jedi Knight, Republic Commando 2, Battlefront 3 etc.) And game companies have been more forgiving as of late and more accepting of taking projects in rather than completely shutting them down. A lot of us are using this for EDUCATIONAL purposes. We are game developers from the Quake 3 engine, and are fairly unacquainted with the new tech. We are using something familiar to do so. Some of us in the team would also like to apply for official game development jobs later on. The Educational part could also possibly put us under fair-use and give us a stronger case in addition to the fact that it is FREE and we are disclaiming that we have NOTHING to do with LA or the official name of Star Wars (It isn't even present in our game title).

We don't want our game to be forced to die when we are not finished developing it. So please to not help the fact. Support us for being a team that actually cares about their product for TEN years and will be developing for at least two more.

I hope this helps you guys understand our position in the very least. Again, we are hoping that if LA does find us that they would rather take us in and make money off of us. Let us take that risk, as we know what it is and are not blindly doing this as "Another SW fan game". Please.

MSgt. Shooter Person

I can completely appreciate the dedication it takes from an individual team to work together for 10years always around the same genre. LA have copyright over the name Star Wars, over the Deathstar, over the Lightsaber. They don't have a copyright over space. Your team could develop your own Space based game, developing on the skills you have gained over 10years without going too far from the style of gameplay. However, if you launch a game including Darth Vader or Lightsabers etc Lucas Arts will sue you to the stone age.

Whilst it is against copyright to do fan based mods, they are less likely to sue them. The moment you develop a stand alone game they will sue the entire development team and they would have full rights to do so. I used to own a copyright for a limited company I used to do. I would of sued anyone who tried to misrepresent my company, whether they pertained to be part of our team to solicit work or whether they claimed there own product was developed by us.

If all you want to do is stick with Star Wars then you would be best applying for jobs with LA or contacting them to ask them to support you in developing a game. If you attempt to do this without there consent you are inviting a nightmare.

Considering they've been doing this for a while, I don't think their under any risk. I haven't heard of any Star Wars fan projects ever getting into legal issues. It might be technically illegal but it's not a problem.

I'm surprised the team isn't already working in the industry, considering what you guys were able to do with the Unreal engine already.

Redeemer

Quote Originally Posted by MaceMadunusus View Post
    So point being, LA and Activision are essentially standing by while our game and theirs dies. This is all beyond our control. We would love to continue to develop and improve MB2 (And still have plans to for at least the next 2 years). However, with all this happening we have been essentially left with no choice but to move to a newer and more solidly supported engine.
    The copyright is their so they can do anything they want, even kill it with fire. (See Megaman for Capcom).

And in this case, we chose UDK. If you want to bash us for it, or say things like ITS ILLEGAL. Please step back. We know the risks of what we are doing. We know we are not above the law,
    Glad to know you know it already...

but we also believe that we have a strong case and that more people could help us rather than try to defeat us.
    And then you throw the table again.
    No, you do not have a strong case. Your case is as strong as they saying "I don't like them" to the judge and you getting a Cease and Desist order immediately.

A lot of us are using this for EDUCATIONAL purposes. We are game developers from the Quake 3 engine, and are fairly unacquainted with the new tech. We are using something familiar to do so. Some of us in the team would also like to apply for official game development jobs later on. The Educational part could also possibly put us under fair-use and give us a stronger case in addition to the fact that it is FREE and we are disclaiming that we have NOTHING to do with LA or the official name of Star Wars (It isn't even present in our game title).
    Yes, now imagine a company distributing for free another company's product and damaging their stats.
    I mean, they are doing it for FREE, and have NOTHING to do with them and also it can be for EDUCATIONAL purpose, so it is totally legal right? If you didn't got the irony yet, the answer is NO, it is NOT fine.
    (I can also use random up case words to make some part of my text seems more important, basically saying the reader has no mental capability to distinguish between parts of the text).

We don't want our game to be forced to die when we are not finished developing it. So please to not help the fact. Support us for being a team that actually cares about their product for TEN years and will be developing for at least two more.
    You would care much more about the game if did it in a way that it can't die as soon as it is launched again.

I hope this helps you guys understand our position in the very least. Again, we are hoping that if LA does find us that they would rather take us in and make money off of us. Let us take that risk, as we know what it is and are not blindly doing this as "Another SW fan game". Please.
    I hope you understand that LA is a big company and the guys who find about your game will be much more likely to have a lower position and no powers at all and be tired from working and don't care at all for the company and just sue your team without reporting to their superior.
    And yes, you are doing another SW fan game.

[HR]

You kinda answered yourself the question as to why your game was able to survive for so much time: "Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy".
    If your game was a mod of something from the same company then it is not copyright infringement. It would be as silly as suing every Team Fortress map maker for making maps for... Team Fortress.

You see, we are not bashing you, your thread, your game or anything at all.
    But we cannot allow misinformation here, once someone say something clearly wrong is fine we have to tell it is not. If not for you, for future readers.
    Thanks for your time.
    Lead Programmer
    It's the Only NEET Thing to Do

Programming for non-fiction.
    I'm the function of my code. Conditions are my body and calls are my blood. I have input over a thousand lines. Unknown of bugs, nor known to work. Have withstand coffee to create many programs. Yet, those hands will never code anything again. So, as I pray, Unlimited Code Works.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeClarke View Post
    If all you want to do is stick with Star Wars then you would be best applying for jobs with LA or contacting them to ask them to support you in developing a game. If you attempt to do this without there consent you are inviting a nightmare.
    Quite a lot of our developers already plan to do so. LA recently bought a UE3 license for future games. We may as well attempt to learn the technology before hand, and show we know star wars

However, our game has Blasters for example which are not hitscan weapons. Having similar weapons can also be considered similar enough to sue us. The same with a similar melee/force/magic class (Jedi/Sith). As of this moment, our team has no ideas as to how we would go about creating a new genre at all.

MSgt. Shooter Person

As an idea for you to consider, I'm not in any way bashing you please bear this in mind.

Star Wars is based around 3 types of location, Space Stations, Space, Planets. I'm not talking about the specific types of planets (naboo etc)
    There combat is based around Guns, Swords, Force.

Star Wars does not own a copyright on Swords, Guns or "Magic". So how could you approach it to demo your ability to produce what they want?

Create a game based in Space, Space Stations & on various planets. If you can make a world out of Ice or Fire, or an Amazon Rainforest there most likely going to be interested in how you incorporate different play styles into the environments than whether they are the same as those in the films/books. As for combat take modern day weapons, have some cables hanging out and make them fire lazers you have a futuristic weapon that LA don't have copyright over whilst still using the "blaster" idea. Use melee weapons like short swords or similar to demonstrate your ability to introduce melee combat properly. Weilding a sword is no different to that of a Lightsaber since the concept of Light-sabers was based on Samurai. For the force, well just tweak it a bit, use physics to fake forcefields and throw "energy" at them.

Space Cowboys. You can get away with the "han solo" style of clothing since it was closely based on Old West films with the rogue cowboy approach, as for the Storm Troopers any Mech-like toon would demonstrate it.

People who get hired into the games industry demonstrate a skill set that is flexible. Most studios hire people that show a level of skill and flexibility. If all you were to develop is World War 2 maps, how would they know they could use you on there upcoming Modern Day city game. If all you do is Rainforest, why would they want you with there upcoming projects based in industrial areas? I'm not saying they won't but showing specialized skills as a "level designer" not a "star wars replicator" increases the odds of your team getting jobs in the industry.

For the record, I do not work in the industry. I have worked on mods with people who have broke there way in with Infinity Ward & Treyarch (no idea if they changed there names) mostly level designers but some programmers - all had to demonstrate flexibility after being rejected on the grounds the design work wasn't flexible.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Moviebattles 3 production is still continuing. We now have a new character rig with animations in-game, each weapon now uses its own animations, there's some level progress, an Imperial Officer model & a Han Solo model in the works.

We still need help, so the following (non-paid) positions are open:

* Programmers (UnrealScript)
    * Character Modelers (Including texturing)
    * Character Animators (3ds Max preferred)
    * Weapon Modelers (Including texturing)
    * Level Prop Modelers (Including texturing)
    * Level Designers
    * ScaleForm/Flash UI Artists.

If you have experience in one of these positions and you're interested in joining us, head over to: http://community.moviebattles.com/forum to apply!

Been following your project for a while now, I hope it gets more active developers

Some more early WIP screenies

Iron Guard

Nice to see this project still alive and kicking.. great looking updates, keep it up!
    ~Ryan Wiancko - Producer
    Ironbelly Studios -