Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: rafaeltaua

Default CLAW - Necessary time to learn how to play

About one month ago, I switched to alternate control scheme.
    It took me about two weeks to adapt to this new playstyle, but I got it (Thanks Nicodemux0 ).

Now I want to play using the CLAW style, because I heard that is better for wallbouncing:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1KD3nHhmic

I want to know from the people who play with the claw, how much time is needed to adapt to it?

I would like to know the pros and cons.
    Actualy, I don't see any cons, but I just CAN'T play using claw now. Does it get better with the time?

I would like to know if would be possible to play using the alternate control scheme + CLAW.
    People who play with CLAW, usually play in the default or alternate control scheme?

Please, Share your experiences CLAW users. It would help me a lot.
    And remember to say if you play on the default or alternate control scheme
    Thanks for the help my fellow gears.

UPDATE:
    Yes, sometimes I try it for 5 minutes, but it hurts a little and I give up.
    I would like to know if it gets better and the pain goes away when you get used to it.
    Last edited by rafaeltaua; 04-07-2012 at 02:20 PM.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

More about the CLAW with a video in the end:
    http://www.rawtalentgaming.com/2011/...ears-of-war-3/

As you can see, he can slide to the cover while aimming.
    But it looks like he uses the ring finger to shoot.

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: IIDirre

claw just seems unnecessary to me, i like my fingers to be non-dislocated.
    Support the arrival of the Classic Gear
    ___,....--!--..---......,,,,í_
    ||___---_íc╗(\)╠╠╠╠╠╠||||||==
    . /_/-' l__}
    |;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;'

MSgt. Shooter Person

yeah I would like to not suffer from RSI after 20 mins of gaming...
    --Would love a Savage Kantus if anyone has one spare --

Veteran

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: I BChaps I

Claw and Alt is by far the best method...

I tried switching...but I'm lazy...so gave up
    --- --- Gears 1 = 1160/1250 --- --- \\★//Gears 2 = 1750/1750 \\★// --- ---
    --- --- \\★//Gears 3 = 1900/2000 \\★// --- --- 608 Gears J = 1500/1500 608 --- ---
    EPIC Community Reaper July 1, 20013 -- August 20, 2013
    VT---VT---VT---VT---VT---Hokies---VT---VT---VT---VT---VT

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Uitz

I play Claw.

I don't have any finger problems either, and I've been playing Claw since GoW1 lml.

- To be honest I'm not sure how to long it takes to get adjusted, I started playing claw as soon as I played Gears cause' I found it easier to maneuver that way. I didn't know I was playing claw until last month, lol.

- Now, for Claw I recommend the regular settings. IMHO, Regular Layout > Alternate. I understand why some people play alternate, but grabbing walls is harder on alternate. (I've been playing Gears for a long while, and I can assure you this is true. Try wallbouncing on regular then on alternate, it's easier on regular / faster.)

- To my belief it does get better with time, I can't really tell you cause I've been playing claw since way back and I forget lol. It probably does though.

- You can play Claw - Alternate, I recommend Regular though.

- In my experience of playing claw, people always ask me how do I wallbounce so fast. Ez, claw. "You turn the corners so quick ; I love it when this guy goes crazy ; you're hurting my eyes dude" . With claw I can wallbounce really fast. A button, grab wall ; thumb on left thumbstick point to wall ; Right thumb moving camera ; Pull back once grabbed ; ez. You'll be a superb wallbouncer once you get claw down, seriously. In a tight space, your going for the clutch, and you wallbounce all of them, it's really fun.

- You should take the time to learn it. GL.
    Drone dies in the upcoming Gears of War 4.
    Thanks to @Craigums @Dediservers for the 'FoN' DLC Code!
    Thanks to III LYCAN III for my 'SGE' Skin & 'SK' Skin & my 'CD' Skin !!! You've completed my PO collection, thanks so much.
    Thanks to II EVOL ONE II for my 'MB' Skin!
    Thanks to Cher for my 'Season Pass' Code & giving away goodies on Flak's Anniversary!
    Thanks to Flak for my 'Launch Skin Set' , happy Anniversary & 10+ awesome years to come!
    Thanks to CaptainSlayer for my 'Jungle Tai' Code!

Seriously...

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Jim Tuna

Good luck man. I gave up on it. I'm too used to the normal way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkio View Post
    Sorry, but really? That Jim Tuna guy is a reaper? Dude does nothing but spam the forums I have yet to come across one non spammy post from him. There are other users who are more active and contribute a lot of information/ help threads off their own initiative- they are more deserving of this opportunity. Apparently you can report spam and spam is frowned upon but here EPIC are, rewarding the spammers.

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Mrspeedyturtle

Claw ftw
    A big thanks to these people!: Kenagain (Web Skin). UNDEAD MIKE 95(Paint Skin).Yosoypr (Jungle Tai). TheArkgaurd (Big Game Skin)

Prisoner 849
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Anger Biscuits

Im going to try to get used to Alt + claw at the same time. Whooo!
    GT: Anger BiscuitsLevel: 100Follow me on TwitterGoing to seriously get used to alternate this time.Thanks to IIILYCANIII for the SGE <3If you're from the forums and see me in a game. Feel free to say "Hi!" If you use the Sawed-Off shotgun in pubs, I wish cruel things upon you.I'am poop at Gears

Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: WAR W0UNDZ PSN ID: JMTricks

AtMo (arguably one of the best players to play Gears of War) plays CLAW and uses Alternate Controls. His movement is ridiculous, however, I've seen others move just as well and they use Default Controls.

I tried playing CLAW+Alternate, but I just couldn't get used to it. So now I'm just using Alternate

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Mrspeedyturtle

Quote Originally Posted by Riiiicky View Post
    AtMo (arguably one of the best players to play Gears of War) plays CLAW and uses Alternate Controls. His movement is ridiculous, however, I've seen others move just as well and they use Default Controls.

I tried playing CLAW+Alternate, but I just couldn't get used to it. So now I'm just using Alternate
    I can't get use to alternate . The wall-bouncing angles are different.
    A big thanks to these people!: Kenagain (Web Skin). UNDEAD MIKE 95(Paint Skin).Yosoypr (Jungle Tai). TheArkgaurd (Big Game Skin)

Veteran
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: iXi Drag0n iXi

I would have been impressed if you started that video of you with a claw like Dr. Claw from Inspector Gadget and then transitioned into the actual thing.
    (Y)
    (X)-----(B)
    (A)
    "I completely respect your opinion, as long as you keep it to yourself."
    -Diamondback
    "A kill is a kill no matter how you slice it, even if you slice it with a chainsaw." - JoeGraf.

yeah i've watched atmo play and his movement is something else. but i've also seen his teammate FLAMEZ (i think is his gt) and his movement is crazy as well and he apparently plays default without claw so practice makes perfect i guess.

Veteran
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: thesuicidefox

I use claw if I need to press mutliple buttons at once. Like if I try to bounce while also doing a melee, or switching weapons I will claw.

Otherwise you don't need it. With enough practice you can press A and move back to the stick before you slide to the wall. Just takes a lot of speed.
    -thesuicidefox-

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

would someone have a video of this atmo playing?
    I have already seen some videos of the infinity team playing. But I would like to see some videos of this guy in particular.
    thanks

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Gun Savvy

Quote Originally Posted by rafaeltaua View Post
    would someone have a video of this atmo playing?
    I have already seen some videos of the infinity team playing. But I would like to see some videos of this guy in particular.
    thanks
    check his twitch/jessebronson

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Gun Savvy

keep in mind he's been playing for a while now so his movement is more "complex".

you should also check out his teammate j ribs. he plays claw but no alternate. idk if he streams anymore though.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Knight Hawk v

Claws awesom i just used it and got three people in four gnasher shots
    Thank You Jill so much for the infected omen skin really appreciate it.
    THANK YOU OUTLAW PICKLE FOR THE AMAZING GAMERTAG. I 4 An EYE

J ribs movement>>>>
    PHENOMENON

I am a rock scientist.

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: C0leTrained

hey if LikeButter plays without alt or claw, I can too :P and hopefully play like
    him.

but to each their own

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Knight Hawk v

I just used it again and wallbounced so fast the people didnt see me right behind them at bloodrive by the pistol spawns. I was playing guardian by the way and killed three people including there leader
    Thank You Jill so much for the infected omen skin really appreciate it.
    THANK YOU OUTLAW PICKLE FOR THE AMAZING GAMERTAG. I 4 An EYE

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: What LB

With the claw, it looks like youre playing with arthritis.
    Lambent Veteran gave me Aaron Griffin, Gamestop gave me Commando Dom, and an Avatar prop from Flak. That is it.
    This is my internet connection at 5500 miles:
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/1763199033.png

Prisoner 849
    Gamer IDs

My hand hurts when I do it. D:
    GT: Anger BiscuitsLevel: 100Follow me on TwitterGoing to seriously get used to alternate this time.Thanks to IIILYCANIII for the SGE <3If you're from the forums and see me in a game. Feel free to say "Hi!" If you use the Sawed-Off shotgun in pubs, I wish cruel things upon you.I'am poop at Gears

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by sB Torque View Post
    My hand hurts when I do it. D:
    Mine do too! I started learning it a couple days ago and I can play more than a few games because of hand pain. Does this go away?

Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: xPuritania

Personally I don't think claw's really necessary to learn, more about personal preference but it doesn't make you a better player just because you use it.

Prisoner 849
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyDangleDown View Post
    Mine do too! I started learning it a couple days ago and I can play more than a few games because of hand pain. Does this go away?
    Im sure it does because your muscles are not used to doing that so they'll need time to adjust to it.

Hey so I actually play with the claw and I didn't even realize it until I saw the vids u posted. My friends always thought it was weird the way I played with my hand in that position. I couldnt tell you much because learning to play games my by itself put itself in the claw position and that is how I learned to play with the claw. I used the claw before playing gears also, even the older 360 games like Cod 2.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: rhymesayer x701

I use a mix of the "claw" and normal style, it's my own thing and it works great for me. Family secret too, starting with me.
    C.O.G. - Valera / B. Carmine \ Mech. Baird
    Locust - Myrrah \ Sniper

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyDangleDown View Post
    Get duct tape and tape your hand like that before you go to sleep. Youll have it down if a few days if you do it every night!
    PHENOMENON

I am a rock scientist.

Prisoner 849
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Phenom23 View Post
    Get duct tape and tape your hand like that before you go to sleep. Youll have it down if a few days if you do it every night!
    Just tape my hand in the claw position?

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: rhymesayer x701

Yeah, like dancers do with their feet! It really works, but it might morph your bones if you do it for too long. i.e. years.

(I wouldn't do it, though.)
    C.O.G. - Valera / B. Carmine \ Mech. Baird
    Locust - Myrrah \ Sniper

Yeah! It works great!
    PHENOMENON

I am a rock scientist.

Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Melonfrog PSN ID: Splatteregg

I might give this a shot, seems simple enough. I hope.
    Thank you: Lambent Veteran, for Giffin!!
    Thank you: BRUTE, for my Com Dom Code!!! Woohoo!!
    Thank you: Flak, for my Avatar Lancer!
    Thank you:Capt23n for my SGE! Thank you so much!
    Share the meaning of your Gamertag here: http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/...-your-Gamertag

Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Blood Hungry II

I remember I tried learning to do this back when I first starting playing Halo 3. I got used to it, but after a while I got lazy and switched back to normal. I'm not sure how easy it would be for me to go back now.
    Quote Originally Posted by TerrorTwilight View Post
    GenitalRAAM

You're welcome.

Prisoner 849
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: ViperousAmoeba

Quote Originally Posted by bchaps View Post
    Claw and Alt is by far the best method...

I tried switching...but I'm lazy...so gave up
    It is effective if you can push the pain outta your mind. It takes a long time before you ring and index finger stop hurting after a good session. I guess maybe after a lot of playtime the pain would get better, but its hard for me to keep my hands like that for more than 20, 25 mins. When I first read about clawing I figured long fingers would help me out, seems like I was mistaken.

But my hands always hurt when Im done playing I wish......

Epic would give me a Gnasher controller and lets by Gears duck hunt style. Haven't figured out how to move yet, but let's start with what I'm holding. Rock bands got drums, Gears needs a Gnasher.
    Last edited by viperousamoeba; 04-07-2012 at 08:42 PM.
    Gears of War 1250/1250
    Gears of War 2 1750/1750 Reset 3 times
    Gears of War 3 1235/2000 Reset 1 time, got that back up now.
    Hey Epic about that Flaming Retro ? Im I being punished for getting reset ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ms A Chievement View Post
    I lol'd. Imagine if Martin Luther King had said that. "I... Have a dream, but I don't want to elaborate."

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by viperousamoeba View Post
    It is effective if you can push the pain outta your mind. It takes a long time before you ring and index finger stop hurting after a good session. I guess maybe after a lot of playtime the pain would get better, but its hard for me to keep my hands like that for more than 20, 25 mins. When I first read about clawing I figured long fingers would help me out, seems like I was mistaken.

But my hands always hurt when Im done playing I wish......

Epic would give me a Gnasher controller and lets by Gears duck hunt style. Haven't figured out how to move yet, but let's start with what I'm holding. Rock bands got drums, Gears needs a Gnasher.
    I thought it too, but now, I think that the claw is made for people with smaller hands.

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: UNCL3 T1AN

im sorry guys but this is really silly IMO...it's a freaking game, you're trying to relax..."hey let's risk potentially screwing up my bone structure so i can have a higher K/D ratio"...congrats to you guys who are successful at this CLAW business, but no thanks.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

I will start using the Claw.
    In one month I will ressurect this thread and will tell if I improved or not my gameplay.

Veteran
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Fade To Bacon

He doesn't use Alternate, but he does claw; same with every member of Infinity.

I don't play claw because my index finger starts feeling really weird after. So I just stick to normal.
    Quote Originally Posted by LoGx Heaven View Post
    Team Essence will try to be at the next Hypefestation!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranethar View Post
    This is really good for the community, now no one has the fear of coming last! Should get lots more teams now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast