MSgt. Shooter Person

Thumbs down Rumor: Next gen consoles won't be as good as PCs on release

Back when XBox 360 and PS3 came out, they were better than any home PC. Now the next gen ones due out late 2013 are rumored to be built with hardware that's already on the market today for PCs making them almost 2 years behind by the time they come out... hopefully if Epic makes another UT (and presumably it would be done right this time...) they won't scale it back just because consoles won't be able to handle as much as PCs.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2...e-industry.ars
    Intel Corei7 930 (2.8GHz)
    3GB DDR3 PC3-10666 (1333GHz) RAM Triple Channel
    NVidia Geforce 9600GT
    2 - Western Digital 7200 RPM 250 GB HDs RAID 0

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by CWO View Post
    Back when XBox 360 and PS3 came out, they were better than any home PC. Now the next gen ones due out late 2013 are rumored to be built with hardware that's already on the market today for PCs making them almost 2 years behind by the time they come out... hopefully if Epic makes another UT (and presumably it would be done right this time...) they won't scale it back just because consoles won't be able to handle as much as PCs.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2...e-industry.ars
    And hopefully ut4 can handle sli, b/c right now I have a useless 2nd card (gtx 285).
    Cheating is for little girls and those that just plain suck.

No, Xbox 360 and PS3 were not better than PCs on release.... PCs have always had superior hardware. The next generation of consoles will not surprise me in any way.

MSgt. Shooter Person

PC superior 4 LYF. Respek.

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

Iron Guard

Quote Originally Posted by Gameslaya View Post
    No, Xbox 360 and PS3 were not better than PCs on release.... PCs have always had superior hardware. The next generation of consoles will not surprise me in any way.
    This (10this)

God King

Quote Originally Posted by JetSpandex View Post

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version
    I will only act like that when a new UT or Unreal will be announced and if it will look promising or if UT3 will be ported to the latest UE3 build or if I'll get a beta version of them. ಠ_ಠ

Other than that consoles surprise me only in one way: What developers can squeeze out of them - graphics-wise. However, it's easier to optimize stuff for one set of hardware than for hundrets of possible combinations and the more time passes, the more they learn about working with that set of hardware. And if they did it right, the console can directly process the data it gets offering more possibilities to max out the graphics, hence GoW3 looks good on Xbox360 even though it's... well, Xbox360.
    A huge fan of the entire Unreal franchise and Bulletstorm.
    UT2004 tips thread; UT3 tips thread; remastered UC weapon textures (UCBP for UT2004, still WIP), CTF-FacingWorlds99 (UT2004; final in the making); AS-Overlord (UT2004, Beta4); DM-Crane (UT2004, Beta1 - currently unavailable); CTF-BattleOnSlysBlockForts (UT2004, Final, made on request); DM-Morbias (UT2004, new link tba);

S l y .

Boomshot

Quote Originally Posted by Gameslaya View Post
    + 1
    ~THUND3RL4ND~IP:77.111.254.236:27015 -UOF-UnrealOldFriendsForum
    AsusFormulaV/FX-8350@8x5.0ghz/CustomLoop/MSI-N660TI-PE-OC/KingstonHyperX-8GbDDR3-1600Mhz/KingstonHyperX-SSD120GB/InWin-DragonRider/AntecQuattro1000W
    XFire&Steam:bfgblitz MyMaps

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: KurlonT

PCs built for gaming had better hardware options when the X360/PS3 were released but worse "bang for the buck" compare to the consoles. I paid $499 for my PS3 (60GB back in Nov'07) and at the time to build a gaming PC for UT3 would had cost hundreds more for just for the basics (needed a blu-ray for movies too). Sure I would have better graphics at the time but would this same PC in '07 be able to play BF3 now w/o some kind of upgrades (adding to the overall cost)...prob not. But the same $499 PS3 that played UT3 can still play BF3 w/o adding a single cent to the intial cost but at the expense of not having the performance of current hardware. The next gen consoles will be no different so not sure why this such a big deal.

What do you feel is more important...Value or Performance...it's your wallet...

Boomshot

Consoles are popular because they are cheap, easy to use, and require no technical knowledge or skill to put together and use. You get what you pay for. A standard American television (NTSC) has a resolution of 352 x 240. So, what can you really expect of the current generation of consoles. The next gen console will be better, but it will still be made of cheap hardware and very poor performance compared to a PC.
    I usually play as [T5K]Bobba_Novis, {T5K}Bobba_Novi, Gi_96, Ph@t-Ass-Fr3d, infected_brains, or ________
    My Rig- ASUS Z68, core I7 2600K @4.2Ghz and GTX780 as seen on my VG248 @144Hz

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by oldkawman1 View Post
    Consoles are popular because they are cheap, easy to use, and require no technical knowledge or skill to put together and use. You get what you pay for. A standard American television (NTSC) has a resolution of 352 x 240. So, what can you really expect of the current generation of consoles. The next gen console will be better, but it will still be made of cheap hardware and very poor performance compared to a PC.
    Well building a gaming computer is not exactly rocket science either...my last build took about 30min so unless your into case modding or installing some extreme OC'd it's still pretty simple. It's the tedious installing of the OS, drivers, updates and more updates that takes forever.

BTW the native resolution of most games for the PS3/360 is 720p (1280x720)...so it's a bit better than 352x240 used by the last generation...LOL
    Last edited by KurlonT; 04-10-2012 at 05:44 PM.

Boomshot

Quote Originally Posted by KurlonT View Post
    Well building a gaming computer is not exactly rocket science either...my last build took about 30min so unless your into case ...
    lol....i dont want to watch ur cables slaving....30 minutes?!...wtf are we talking about?
    u ll for sure find cheap pcs not abble to handdle UT3 or top notch ones abble to run 3 UT3 in same time @ max settings...imo the point is that if u put some money in ur build u ll get for sure better components to add than thoses u ll find in a console (even if of course it s not comparable )
    what manufacters try to get for consoles is the cheapest parts to do a job.... a self build pc requires a bit more....with 30 minutes i ll not have enough time to choose the hardware...it does not require rocket scientist aptitudes...but a lil love haha^^
    ...time for my herbtea
    Last edited by Bl!tz~; 04-10-2012 at 06:20 PM.
    AsusFormulaV/FX-8350@8x5.0ghz/CustomLoop/MSI-N660TI-PE-OC/KingstonHyperX-8GbDDR3-1600Mhz/KingstonHyperX-SSD120GB/InWin-DragonRider/AntecQuattro1000W

God King

He meant building the computer, putting the hardware into the case, not choosing the hardware, just building it.
    Well, I for my part am taking myself a bit more time so I can hide the cables in the side of my case, create a nice wind channel so the hardware has a good cooling and make sure everything is "solid" before I launch it for the first time.
    A huge fan of the entire Unreal franchise and Bulletstorm.
    UT2004 tips thread; UT3 tips thread; remastered UC weapon textures (UCBP for UT2004, still WIP), CTF-FacingWorlds99 (UT2004; final in the making); AS-Overlord (UT2004, Beta4); DM-Crane (UT2004, Beta1 - currently unavailable); CTF-BattleOnSlysBlockForts (UT2004, Final, made on request); DM-Morbias (UT2004, new link tba);

S l y .

Boomshot

lol...of course....was just kidding a little....shame on me

MSgt. Shooter Person

You will have to excuse CWO he got stomped by a Titan for the very first time the other night and it was a console player!
    Last edited by gargorias; 04-14-2012 at 11:12 AM.
    SCREEN -> 30" DELL 3008WFP. CASE -> Thermaltake Speedo Advance. MOBO ->Gigabyte GA-EX58-Extreme. CPU -> Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.6ghz. VID -> 2 x Palit GTX 580 in SLI (WOW). MEM ->12GB Corsair 1600mhz. PSU -> Thermaltake Toughpower 1200w Modular. HDD -> 2x120GB OCZ Vertex 2E SSD + 512GB Saegate HDD. SPEAKERS -> Logitech Z-5400. KEYB -> Logitech G15. MOUSE -> Micrososft Sidewinder. OS -> Windows 7 Ultimate 64.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Sly. View Post
    He meant building the computer, putting the hardware into the case, not choosing the hardware, just building it.
    Exactly...I know from prior PC builds picking out parts can take a long time.
    Really it comes down to how much money you're willing to spend (or keep spending) to enjoy next-gen games and less about the chosen platforms.

Redeemer

Quote Originally Posted by JetSpandex View Post

Congratz, i'll go back to my outdated graphics now

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by gargorias View Post
    You will have to excuse CWO he got stomped by a Titan for the very first time the other night and it was a console player!
    Titan stomping doesn't work on me in vehicle maps...
    Intel Corei7 930 (2.8GHz)
    3GB DDR3 PC3-10666 (1333GHz) RAM Triple Channel
    NVidia Geforce 9600GT
    2 - Western Digital 7200 RPM 250 GB HDs RAID 0