MSgt. Shooter Person

Big Grin [HELP] Creating Texture2D from multiple PNG files

Is it possible to generate one PNG file which consists of many PNG files that can be used to create a texture2D object. What I mean is, I downloaded a 3D model with which instead of one PNG texture file they had multiple PNG files (e.g 1 for engine, 1 for wheels, etc.). I don't know how can I combine it into one PNG texture2D file that I can import in UDK.

What if the order goes wrong, and the engine part of the texture shows on the wheels?

Guess you know what I mean.

Please help

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: YakZSmelk

Yes that is possible but probably more work than you want it to be.

in this case you just need to make multiple materials for the static mesh, when you open the static mesh to apply the textures there's a LOD pull down that contains all the slots for materials on the model.
    Current UDK Project: Wild Wild Western
    Personal Website: robhow.com

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Keltar3007

nONK MIGHT BE A MORE EFFECTIVE WY TO GO IF i UNDERSTAND YOU CORRECTLY

MSgt. Shooter Person

Thanks for the reply. Where is this option? In the UDK?

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: YakZSmelk

When you double click on the model you'll see where you add the materials. You'll need a seperate material for each texture.

materials.jpg
    Current UDK Project: Wild Wild Western
    Personal Website: robhow.com

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Oy, my stupidity...I meant Bink...Its a program U can download and convert videos into a format UDK can upload.

MSgt. Shooter Person

You want more materials on your model only if they will be different. For example one part is wood and other is metal. Or somethng like that. But you should try to avoid putting lots of materials (more than 3) on one model if its not for pre-rendered scene (cinematics).

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Oh I see...Oy my supidity again...U want a model with two materials?...In the static or skeletal mesh editor, when U click on the material slot, the faces it applies to should light up...If U want to use one texture, then your uv map for all parts of the meshshould not overlap...then U can texture one part wood and the other metal...am I close to being right?

Palace Guard

Not really.

There isn't an automatic way to create texture atlases from multiple image files. You'll need to modify both the textures and mesh in order to do this properly.

1) You need to use an image editing software to combine the multiple image files into a single texture. Adobe Photoshop (Premium) or GIMP 2 (Freeware) are usually good options.
    2) You need to use a 3D model editing software to modify the UV maps so that they reference the correct section of the texture atlas. 3DSMax/Maya (Premium) or Blender (Freeware) are usually good options.

The Sacrifice

You could try simplygon, It can combine multiple textures. It wont result in the same quality as manually combining the textures and uvs but it might be easier if you are not good at those things.

Boomshot

Quote Originally Posted by Kelt'ar View Post
    Oh I see...Oy my supidity again...U want a model with two materials?...In the static or skeletal mesh editor, when U click on the material slot, the faces it applies to should light up...If U want to use one texture, then your uv map for all parts of the meshshould not overlap...then U can texture one part wood and the other metal...am I close to being right?
    Also, it's totally acceptable to have UV's over lap if you're using a single texture. You can have overlaps, flipped, stretched outside of the 0-1 space, and any other combination you want. It's the lightmap UV's however, that you can't have any overlaps in.

Prisoner 849
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Black Fang666

If you are using 3ds max, set the materials up in a multi-sub thing. Then add a uv unwrap modifier to all parts of the model and set the channel to 2. Adjust the uvs so they don't overlap except places where you specifically want them to. Then use render to texture and select channel 2 in the options. This will render out a combined map with the new uv set, you can use it for diffuse, specular, normals, whatever you select. Then change the chanel in the modifier from 2 to 1 and collapse all. This will shove your modified uvs from channel 2 into the 1 slot. Then you can set it up to use 1 material with the maps you rendered out.
    Want to collaborate? Want to chat UDK? Message me on Skype, Craig Delancy. Check out my UDK Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/xblBlack...ew=0&flow=grid