Default Is there an Alternative to Scaleform?

I'm not sure if this is the right place to talk about this but I might as well voice it somewhere in the UDK Thread. Anyways, let me preface this by saying that I like Epic and I'm mighty happy that they gave me some tools to work with. I've been using UDK for a while and I'm quite pleased with how powerful and gratifying it is. I had also been hawking the March Update like a hound and when I heard about Scaleform I got pretty excited. To be frank, HUD is probably one of my favorite parts of video game development and I like to make my HUD immersive yet stand out. So, when I learned it used Flash, I got a little upset. It's not that I don't like Flash or Adobe, it's just that I don't like Flash or Adobe.

Due to a series of unfortunate events, I don't exactly like Adobe. However, I don't feel that has anything to do with the topic so I'll leave out the details. Suffice to say, I was curious if there is an alternative to Scaleform? I've heard of the Canvas classes but I want to keep my other options open. It would be nice if UDK allowed us to build our own tools, but that's for another topic. Personally, if I have to use Canvas to build HUD, I won't melt or die; it won't be the end of the world. It's just that I was wondering if there was any alternative that don't require Flash.

Thanks in advance,
    MalNeige

MSgt. Shooter Person

Removed post due to misreading op post.

MSgt. Shooter Person

The UDK supports dll binding so it maybe be possible to incorporate alternative packages. That being said, I can't guarantee that it would be easy to do and doubt many if any would have tried given how nice Scaleform is so you will probably be breaking new ground.

If you want to make a really in-depth HUD, Canvas can do it, but it will take a lot of time and be very fiddly. You can find info on Canvas here.

All that being said, you don't have to use flash for Scaleform. There are alternative packages that aren't Adobe based for both AS editing and packages that can produce a swf for you. Probably you best options would be to investigate these options.

@altodarknight

That was rather fast!

Regardless, thanks you for responding so quickly and thoroughly. I figured I could use Canvas to do it and that it would take a bit of time to accomplish, but I didn't know their exist alternative packages. I might need to do a little more research into Scaleform. That being said, I am quite interested in dll bindings, I might have to take a crack into that since it seems to pique my interest. Who knows, I might find something new?

Again, thanks for the information, it was quite helpful.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Is something like this what you are looking for?

http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/...d-FlashDevelop