MSgt. Shooter Person

Default Trying to setup a dedicated server in Linux

I am having lot of trouble trying to get this to work. I have decent experience in Linux and have a dedicated CentOS 5 box that I already have web services and so on running on it.

First off, I am not sure what file I'm actually suppose to download. I have found over 3 different files from different sources and I'm at a loss as to which is *really* the dedicated server.

My first attempt was a file called UT3-linux-server-02202008.bin (247MB) . But there is also a file UT3-linux-server-02202007.bin (1.62GB) and UT3-linux-server-02202009.bin (366MB). Should they all be installed? Are they just patches? What do I do?

Right now if I try to start the server it just returns with no output. I cannot find any log file, would it be in /var/log?

Also, which ports *really* need to be opened? I hate having to open up so many ports especially when every source I find has conflicting information. Right now I have these:

Code:
    -A INPUT -p udp --dport 6500 -j ACCEPT
    -A INPUT -p udp --dport 7777 -j ACCEPT
    -A INPUT -p udp --dport 13000 -j ACCEPT
    -A INPUT -p udp --dport 6515 -j ACCEPT
    -A INPUT -p udp --dport 13139 -j ACCEPT
    -A INPUT -p udp --dport 27900 -j ACCEPT

-A INPUT -p tcp --dport 3783 -j ACCEPT
    -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 6667 -j ACCEPT
    -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 28900 -j ACCEPT
    -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 29900 -j ACCEPT
    -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 29901 -j ACCEPT
    Do I really need all those ports opened up? Seems excessive but that's what I've found from many tutorials.

I read the sticky and did what it says but I'm still at a loss. I think the #1 is confirming if I even installed the right thing. I can't seem to find any full tutorial that goes into details.

I will also want to know how to enable cycling between maps/modes. Adding custom maps etc... if I add a custom map, do the users have to download it seperately, or does it auto download? Info like that. There just overall seems to be a lack of info as to how this works. I'm new to UT3 so maybe some of this is common knowledge to those who have played longer?

Just looking for more info really, any help or pointer in the right direction would be appreciated. Thanks.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Ok so I managed to get the server going with 1 map and 1 mode.

How do I set up a rotation of maps/modes? Is it even possible? I'm hoping to mix things up like have a couple different CTF maps then a couple different deathmath maps, etc... is this possible? Or can I only host one map/game mode at a time and have to restart the server to change it?

And can someone confirm all those ports? Or can I close some of them?

MSgt. Shooter Person

I did not figure how to get a specific rotation going but the voting works so that's really all that matters I suppose.

Another thing how do I set a minimal amount of players? Ex: if there's only 2 real players then it adds 4 bots, if another player joins it will just replace a bot, and so on. Like when hosting a game and you set the minimal number of opponents.

It should be MinPlayers.

I would suggest to add the WedAdmin interface. There you can change all the important settings.

MSgt. Shooter Person

I have the web admin interface, but seems some settings get overridden by the startup string. I ended up getting it to work though, it is Numplay I believe. (honestly I played with so much stuff I forget what actually worked now lol).

Also I noticed that in the web admin interface I don't have settings for greed and a few other game types. Is there a way to add those? greed does work if it's voted for.