Post 3rd Person(GOW style) Camera/Movement control set up in KISMET

Dear All,

I've looked through most of the threads but i could not find out how to modify the Jazz tutorial for a GOW style camera/movement set up, i have also seen many people with the same question but wasn't answered.

Seeing that the Jazz tutorial is mainly a twin stick shooter set up, the following problems occurs
    1. Player moving in the wrong direction, using the left stick ( need help with exact Kismet set up for proper forward/backward/strafe left & right movement)
    2. Player only shoot in the y axis from left to right ( need a 3D Aim/Camera Actor properties set up in Kismet for the right stick)

If anyone out there can assist, i'm 101 % sure many of our community(myself included) will greatly appreciate the help as so many people are stuck at the moment. Many people with myself included prefer Kismet to unreal script, so please excuse my ignorance.

Many Thanx
    Last edited by jdolleyart; 04-04-2012 at 01:44 AM.

Prisoner 849

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by jdolleyart View Post
    Dear All,

I've looked through most of the threads but i could not find out how to modify the Jazz tutorial for a GOW style camera/movement set up, i have also seen many people with the same question but wasn't answered.

Seeing that the Jazz tutorial is mainly a twin stick shooter set up, the following problems occurs
    1. Player moving in the wrong direction, using the left stick ( need help with exact Kismet set up for proper forward/backward/strafe left & right movement)
    2. Player only shoot in the y axis from left to right ( need a 3D Aim/Camera Actor properties set up in Kismet for the right stick)

If anyone out there can assist, i'm 101 % sure many of our community(myself included) will greatly appreciate the help as so many people are stuck at the moment. Many people with myself included prefer Kismet to unreal script, so please excuse my ignorance.

Many Thanx
    Its not possible to set-up a GOW style camera using the kismet..It has to be hard coded via Unreal Script, like my system I have......And then if you want to simulate cover, you need a whole host of animations for normal translation and offset animations too..

@Lexluthor1,

Thank you for the feedback, im a big fan of you tutorials on youtube great job!!!

I wasn't really thinking of anything as complicated as GOW just the basic movement and look functionality. Exact control setup like a IOS game called Call of Mini zombies, where you target as well as shoot with the right Virtual stick and basic movement with the left stick.

Please let me know if its possible, as 11 months of steady progress has come to a complete stop. As im realitively new to game design the whole prospect of Unreal Script seems very intimidating to me....

Thanx!!!

Prisoner 849

Cool

@Lexluthor1,

Thank you for the feedback, im a big fan of you tutorials on youtube great job!!!

I wasn't really thinking of anything as complicated as GOW just the basic movement and look functionality. Exact control setup like a IOS game called Call of Mini zombies, where you target as well as shoot with the right Virtual stick and basic movement with the left stick.

Please let me know if its possible, as 11 months of steady progress has come to a complete stop. As im realitively new to game design the whole prospect of Unreal Script seems very intimidating to me....

Thanx!!!
    Thanks.

If I were you I'd be looking at a scripted third person camera set-up....Its so simple and I have the classes for a basic third person camera set-up..
    The kismet offers a very limited camera set-up functionality and I would personally avoid it at all costs these days...I wish I had the time to remake my first app and trash all the kismet camera set-up because it hindered the game in the end....
    Nowadays I would only use the kismet if I couldn't find a decent script to run whatever it is I want

You can download the Lex custom game classes on my website in my signature and use default buttons for the character movement..........I have this running in most of my iOS games I'm developing!

Great,

I will attempt using unreal script instead.

One last question, if i am able to add your unreal scripts into my installed UDK as mentioned above,will i still be able to add additional scripting via Kismet i.e. level events, etc?

Thank you for the advice.

Prisoner 849

Cool

Great,

I will attempt using unreal script instead.

One last question, if i am able to add your unreal scripts into my installed UDK as mentioned above,will i still be able to add additional scripting via Kismet i.e. level events, etc?

Thank you for the advice.
    Yes of course...Nothing will have changed other than your game will default to third person....When opening any map, make sure you select Lexgame in the world properties here, view,world properties,game type.....Or whatever you rename the game type too

Apologies for the delay.

Thank you for allowing me to use your code. Much appreciated

I have been trying to learn Unreal script and for a non programmer it's insanely complicated....I'm sure it'll start making sense at some point....lol

Iron Guard

This is as good as I could make it: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/67350499/gowcam.zip

It's not comparable to code but it might be good enough, given what it is you want to do.

Also, I have it setup where you right click to zoom in. You can easily swap this out for a Mobile Button Access node and have it do the same thing. I just find using Input Zones unnecessary when fleshing out an idea.
    Last edited by Vawx; 07-11-2012 at 05:05 AM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Vawx, i love you, seriously dude you are god.

Iron Guard

Quote Originally Posted by MrRipGames View Post
    Vawx, i love you, seriously dude you are god.
    lol, that's doubtful but I'm glad it works for you :P

Prisoner 849

Cool

Apologies for the delay.

Thank you for allowing me to use your code. Much appreciated

I have been trying to learn Unreal script and for a non programmer it's insanely complicated....I'm sure it'll start making sense at some point....lol
    Its not my code...I downloaded it too, about a year ago

MSgt. Shooter Person

Vawx bro i downloaded the file u uploaded the gowcam_maybe.udk but its not working with my udk. i tried opening it and it crashed... now i dont know if its the file or my UDK cuz ive been messing with my udk files in order to create first iOS project by looking at this video "UDK Creating a Basic iOS Mobile Game" http://vimeo.com/17988043 and the i got into a problem that this tutorial was on 2010 release and i had 2012 release so they have different file names..

Iron Guard

Everything used is a part of UDK. It was put together in the February release in UDK. I suppose you might have an issue if you're trying to open it in a version before that.

@Vawx.....

Really amazing

Thank you.....