Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheJamsh

Default Gear of War for PC Installation Issue (Tried with TWO discs now!)

Hoping somebody here can help me. I've recently purchased a new PC and I'm trying to install Gears of War for PC to get back into map-making and whatnot again. However, the installer fails to fully complete.

It gets about 90% of the way through the 'Decompressing Files' stage when a pop-up box emerges telling me that the installation was interrupted before it could complete. At this point I have no option but to click 'Finish' and the installer removes all the files it just installed and I'm left with no gears data on my hard drives. It's really getting on my nerves now. I've had the game installed on my laptop for ages and there was never a problem with it. My new PC however won't have any of it. I have also created an ISO of my disc and tried to install from Daemon Tools, still no luck. I then downloaded an ISO and tried with that, STILL no luck, I get the same error.

It's obviously a compatibility issue with my PC. Specs are as follows:

- Windows 7 Home Professional
    - Intel Core i7-3820K @ 3.6Ghz (No Overclocking)
    - ASRock X79 Extreme 4 Motherboard
    - OCZ Vertex 60GB Solid-State Drive
    - Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB Hard Drive
    - Generic CD Drive
    - ZOTAC/nVidia GeForce 560 Ti Graphics Card

If anybody can help me out here, that'd be ace!
    Developer for TheSomme
    Game Design, Level Design, Audio Creation, Materials, Particle Systems, Textures, 3D Modelling, Asset Management, Game Play Design, & even a bit of Unreal Script!

Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

It turns out that the installer isn't properly creating the Registry Files. All of the installation files as far as I can tell are on my system. I tried to run 'Startup.exe' and got the old error about executable code.

I downloaded TU3 and tried to install it, but it tells me that the Registry/INI is missing for the old files. This is obviously where the problem lies. Any advice?
    Developer for TheSomme
    Game Design, Level Design, Audio Creation, Materials, Particle Systems, Textures, 3D Modelling, Asset Management, Game Play Design, & even a bit of Unreal Script!

MSgt. Shooter Person

What did the error message say (the one when you first tried to insall the game). Have you updated to the latest gfwl?

Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: iXane

It's been a long time since I went mac, still when I use Windows is just for Visual Studio... Try disabling any Anti-Virus/Security Software before installing it. Make sure you have full Administrator Rights. Make sure you have all the updates and the updated client of Games for Windows.

I had an error when I tried to install Gears PC once and I downloaded an update and that fixed it. Same problem with a friend when installing it, then it would not boot up because Games for Windows needed an update as well.
    Gears 2 Rank: 100 out of 100 (Legit Since 03/2010)
    Gears 3 >BETA< Rank: 47 out of 100
    Gears 3 Rank: 100

Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

I can't update GFWL because it the patch can't detect my Gears installation, therefore, pointless. The issue is the game will not completely INSTALL, not that it won't run.

The error message I have detailed above ^ "The Installer was interrupted before setup could complete, your system has not been modified". This happens even when running bare minimum background software.

I know about the modified code bug from years ago. I don't have any anti-virus installed, so thats not the issue. I am of course running with admin rights (windows installers do this anyway), and trying out compat modes etc. Still no joy.
    Developer for TheSomme

I assume you launch installer from autorun. Try opening setup.exe as an administrator with Win XP SP2 compatibility mode and turned off xfire/steam and similar programs

Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by bmbr1990 View Post
    I assume you launch installer from autorun. Try opening setup.exe as an administrator with Win XP SP2 compatibility mode and turned off xfire/steam and similar programs
    Tried this, I'm tending to use the setup.exe to run from now as opposed to the autorun file.
    Developer for TheSomme

MSgt. Shooter Person

When I upgraded to win7 64 ultimate my retail copy wouldn't install (worked fine on the same pc with xp 64). I extracted the contents from an Iso with 7zip to a new folder on my desktop and installed it from there, maybe it will work for you.
    Last edited by WOBBLER; 04-01-2012 at 09:25 PM.

Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by WOBBLER View Post
    When I upgraded to win7 64 ultimate my retail copy wouldn't install (worked fine on the same pc with xp 64). I extracted the contents from an Iso with 7zip to a new folder on my desktop and installed it from there, maybe it will work for you.
    Thanks, I'll give that a try and see how it goes.

Any idea as to why it wouldn't work? Did you get to the same stage that I did?

EDIT: Just tried this, no luck
    Last edited by TJ_MkII; 04-02-2012 at 05:08 AM.
    Developer for TheSomme

Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

Still waiting for a fix Epic... But then we all know you've abandoned PC gaming with sensible titles...
    Developer for TheSomme

MSgt. Shooter Person

This may sound stupid, but is your disk scratched? I think I had the same error after upgrading to win7 64 bit and reinstalling a while back and it was nothing more than a scratched disk that needed repair. Believe it or not, I have fixed Gears and scratched disks with rubbing compound lol (I used similar movements to cleaning a disk, do not use circular movements) , also I had to install a patch:http://www.fileplanet.com/196521/190...War-PC-Patch-3 after installing before launching the game, I suggest you do the same to save yourself trouble if you manage to install . After that, no more problems on my end.
    Last edited by XxXbObXxX; 08-27-2012 at 05:20 PM.

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Drone

Quote Originally Posted by XxXbObXxX View Post
    This may sound stupid, but is your disk scratched? I think I had the same error after upgrading to win7 64 bit and reinstalling a while back and it was nothing more than a scratched disk that needed repair. Believe it or not, I have fixed Gears and scratched disks with rubbing compound lol (I used similar movements to cleaning a disk, do not use circular movements) , also I had to install a patch:http://www.fileplanet.com/196521/190...War-PC-Patch-3 after installing before launching the game, I suggest you do the same to save yourself trouble if you manage to install . After that, no more problems on my end.
    I agree with Bob about the disc part. Also toothpaste sometimes works with me when cleaning scratched discs, and as bob says DO NOT use circular motion, I tend to wipe it from where the hole is outwards or tiny swirls all around the disc area.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Also, you could have made a mistake while making the ISO mumbo jumbo. You never know...
    EDIT: You can also try installing in compatibility mode

Click here if you dunno how: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...4-a1ab826059b7
    Last edited by XxXbObXxX; 08-27-2012 at 05:52 PM.

Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

The disc is fine, (I recently resurfaced it anyway because of scratching), and the ISO was just fine as well. It always gets to the same place THEN crashes, so it's got to be a software issue.

Compat modes don't make any difference, nor admin.
    Developer for TheSomme

Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

The disc is fine, (I recently resurfaced it anyway because of scratching), and the ISO was just fine as well. It always gets to the same place THEN crashes, so it's got to be a software issue.

Compat modes don't make any difference, nor admin.
    Developer for TheSomme

if you have another computer install on it(if works) and make copy of those files on pendrive or just sent it through LAN it should work for 100% if you can install on other machine

Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

if you have another computer install on it(if works) and make copy of those files on pendrive or just sent it through LAN it should work for 100% if you can install on other machine
    Won't work. The game needs the registry files to know where certain parts are installed, and the patch needs it to know where to apply the patch. Without the registry keys, you are as they say, f*cked.
    Developer for TheSomme

no its not needed i have copied game cause my disc is broken (it has a nice crack from inside to outside of disc) so i'd copied from my sisters notebook whole game, patched and works fine,

Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

no its not needed i have copied game cause my disc is broken (it has a nice crack from inside to outside of disc) so i'd copied from my sisters notebook whole game, patched and works fine,
    Did you patch the game BEFORE you copied it to the notebook. The updater needs the registry file to know where the game is installed. I'll try making a portable version of the install and see where I get. I realize this thread is a few months old now... I recently had to format my PC due to some issues with my GPU. I'm trying to install it from an ISO now, will let you know how I get on.

EDIT: F*ck me it worked. Must have been a software conflict of some kind. Installing from an ISO is definitely faster and more reliable too. Don't have to worry about scratched discs.

Do you know, it's no wonder Epic made such a loss on the PC port of this game. The installer and porting of the game in general is absolutely crap. You get out what you put in I suppose! Too bad it means we'll never see the latest titles on a sensible gaming platform eh!
    Last edited by TJ_MkII; 11-05-2012 at 03:00 PM.
    Developer for TheSomme

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SenatorIvy

It also didn't help that MS botched their registry system with the "Games for Windows Live" thing.

Buy a copy of Shadowrun for $7 and use that key for everything? Thanks, I knew Shadowrun was good for something! :v