Administrator

Default News From Epic Games - March 2012 UDK Beta Released

Epic Games Releases March 2012 Unreal Development Kit Beta

Epic Games, Inc. has released the March 2012 Unreal Development Kit Beta, the latest version of the free edition of Unreal Engine 3 that provides access to the award-winning 3D game engine and professional toolset used in blockbuster videogame development, architectural visualization, mobile game development, 3D rendering, digital films and more. The latest UDK beta is available now at www.udk.com/download.

Unreal Engine Showcase: Amazing One-Texture Environment

What can one developer achieve with a single texture and the power of UDK? Talented 3D artist Tor Frick explains his crafty ways in this interview. Download the content from this cool sci-fi lab environment now!

We have showcases of some of the most outstanding video game, architectural visualization, and mobile apps using UDK atwww.udk.com/showcase and www.unrealengine.com/showcase. Also be sure to check out the Works in Progress and theReleased Projects forums.
    Latest Unreal Engine 3 features overview

• At the Game Developers Conference 2012, Epic revealed the latest features and tools developers use to make award-winning games big and small with Unreal Engine 3. Check out the new trailer!

'Epic Citadel' for Flash released

• Originally launched for iOS devices, it’s now possible to navigate the beautiful 3D citadel realms of “Epic Citadel” on the web at unrealengine.com/flash. Flash support is available to full source, commercial UE3 licensees.

March 2012 UDK Beta Upgrade Notes

New Features and Functionality

• Unreal Editor
      • Actors will show regardless of layer visibility when in G mode
      • Before using ‘autoexpandcategories,’ the property window will first check to see if layout info has been saved
      • New ‘Create Sub-Archetype’ feature added to Unreal Content Browser. Right-click on Archetype assets to create sub-archetypes
      • Sound Actors can now be found inside Content Browser

• Material Editor
      • Added a ‘WorldPosOffset’ category to the Material Editor's context menu
      • Changed the material editor to only update the previews when the viewport’s real-time flag is toggled, or mouse over while the expression’s preview real-time radio box is toggled
      • Converting a Constant 1 Vector into a Parameter now behaves correctly
      • Added functionality for updating a physical material when assigning a new material interface
      • Material instance parameter groups no longer show up when none of the nodes in the group are connected

• Post-process editor improvements
      • Node color now represents the linked status (green = linked, red = unlinked)
      • Ignores node connections of different types (has to be 1 Input and 1 Output), and reorders them accordingly
      • Only marks the package as dirty when the effects order has been modified

• Mesh Paint: marking an actor's ‘bHidden’ flag will no longer prevent it from being painted on
    • Texture paint workflow automation will now allow you to duplicate textures and hook them up to a new material instance with a single button click
    • Refreshing the list in Unreal Frontend so it no longer looks just for additional devices, but all devices attached. This prevents devices used previously showing, even though they may no longer be connected
    • You can now use the ‘Screen Capture’ option in Unreal Console to take a screenshot

New and Updated UDN Pages

Last edited by rexoli; 05-14-2012 at 11:49 AM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

I wonder why there is still not a single word about APEX 1.1 integration

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by rexoli View Post
    What can one developer achieve with a single texture and the power of UDK? Talented 3D artist Tor Frick explains his crafty ways in this interview. Download the content from this cool sci-fi lab environment now!
    Last link gives a 404, correct link is http://www.udk.com/showcase-amazing-one-texture

Iron Guard

Nice update !
    I was hoping to see the flahs export more opened but it's only for licensee.
    My curiosity will still wait a bit.

Alos, the color picker bug is still not fixed, you can't past an Hexa color because the it's not updated :
    Last edited by Froyok; 03-27-2012 at 11:36 PM.
    Sorry for my bad English, it's not my native language.
    ---
    Twitter- LinkedIn - !Portfolio! - !Personnal project : EXIL!

MSgt. Shooter Person

Thanks, but no thanks. I think that I will stay with FEB version.

I think that you guys could have implemented a road tool for UDK within this new version.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: WedgeBob

Serves me right for thinking that the newest version of the UDK software was best. Although I'm pretty sure the March version will hold up with the 3D Buzz UDK Class that they're holding. We'll see how well I do with this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusha K. Rool View Post
    Brain.exe has encountered an error and needs to close.

Redeemer

Any news from the lightmass landscape bug where everything that touches landscape and happens to be below it's height gets shaded making landscape holes a non functional feature? Is it fixed in this version?
    Thank you.
    This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version
    Last edited by ThePriest909; 04-05-2012 at 02:47 PM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Hmm, that rock in the bottom right is totally shaded when it shouldn't be... weird.

Anyone else refreshing http://www.udk.com/download every so often today? LOL

God King

Me too.
    Our Loop, which art in source code, hallowed be thy keyword.
    Thy condition come, thy instruction be done, in RAM as it is in cache.
    Increment us this day our daily counter,
    and forgive us our typos, as we also have forgiven our compilers.
    And lead us not to the nullpointer but deliver us from bugs.
    For thine is the API, the GUI, and the CLI while(true).
    Semicolon;
    Please don't send me questions about how to do something in the UDK via PM. That is better discussed in the forums and we only have limited PM storage.

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: daimakupikoro PSN ID: lone_vampire

same here !!
    http://vincenzoravo.vrs.com.ve http://www.slaughtermaze.com

please don't fill my inbox with questions, ask in the forum, the answers will help you and others !!!

MSgt. Shooter Person

Well its officially May here, probably will be in US in a few hours, so I guess this is the first time a release delayed into the next month

the next couple of releases is going to be bug fixes and mobile ( correction) IOS fixes. most likely not going to download it. been waiting since IOS release for the android release but it seem like it only for full license. my personal opinion it should had been for android first,,,, cause i don't think paying for full license for android or flash is not worth it

MSgt. Shooter Person

Hmmmmmmm maybe they are polishing UE4 release... maybe...?

I'd be surprised if they had an UE4 version of UDK available when it is released.

MSgt. Shooter Person

We still have a few hours (3:49pm on the west coast), but... given the limited scope of the last two releases, maybe it slipped their minds?

They're probably having too much fun tweaking the UE4 tech.

I'd be surprised if they had an UE4 version of UDK available when it is released.
    Yeah, I suspect we'll have to wait a bit for the new UDK. But all signs point to more than a year for an actual UE4 release anyhow, let alone the free/indie version.

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Drone

Yeah theres not much left to do to UE3 it's nearly at the end of it's development cycle, it's had a very good cycle and has evolved lots

it maybe at the end of it cycle but their could be some more improvement. like a rood and river tool. and the light map can be improved a lot. and the way it import models. another engine (not mentioning no name) you just drop your models into your project folder and it automatically import it. also you should be able to UV and bake right in the editor

I'd like to know if the flash player support will be eventually available for not only full licencees

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: daimakupikoro PSN ID: lone_vampire

i would like to know too if there will be available for us the android deploy or that will be only for full licensess.
    http://vincenzoravo.vrs.com.ve http://www.slaughtermaze.com

please don't fill my inbox with questions, ask in the forum, the answers will help you and others !!!

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Meri_madara

I presume they are focusing on ios, android and wii u actually...

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by c3s View Post
    my personal opinion it should had been for android first
    wouldn't that be nice, but upon thinking about it(or reading things from the past) when you compare ios to android.....you get 10 ppl that have 20 ios's, they are ALL the SAME thing, same cpu, same power, only change is storage space.

now look at android, many different makers, many diff cpus, may diff specs. You make 'udk' work for android, which devices do you make it work for? the best 2 and screw the rest? or go for a lower end device, and just not be able to have anything playable that looks nice.

I personly can't wait for android support....but then again, if I had a worth while game, that was for pc or maybe even ios....then I would have something to talk to epic about for a full licence. I know I cant aford to get that, but I also don't have something worthy of it right now. If you do, then you have something to offer, and as many ppl said many times, there is not a set in stone price for ue3, its based per licence/group/game w/e you want to call it.

My vote in the mean time would be, make the game, weather its for pc or ios, and if people like it enough, and you catch epics's eye, well then maybe you have a chance on making something happen.

Just keep on keeping on people. And EPIC, you ROCK!!
    Current Projects:
    Nocturnal Conventicle
    Narcotic Pursuit
    The Office
    Devils Triangle

join us on the IRC , we use irc.gamesurge.net and the room is #UDKC
    (っ◕‿◕)っ _____ ܔ(๏̯͡๏)
    Specs: gtx 670 - i7 - 32gb ram - Samsung 840 Evo - Win 8 Pro

Skaarj
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: superajp

Sorry for being a n3wB of UDK, but how much memory would it take up just to download it? And should I use FPS brushes if I'm creating a level at base, then going on to add NPCs? I really want some good AI in my game, so is there a software for AI except for the built in UDK one with the apples or grapefruits or whatever they are????

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by Cube Games View Post
    Sorry for being a n3wB of UDK, but how much memory would it take up just to download it? And should I use FPS brushes if I'm creating a level at base, then going on to add NPCs? I really want some good AI in my game, so is there a software for AI except for the built in UDK one with the apples or grapefruits or whatever they are????
    0 memory
    However, its about gig, gig and a half of storage space

whats a FPS brush?

you can def write some AI scripts, there are some tuts out there to get you startet, just don't copy/paste and expect them to work though.

D/l UDK, play around with the assets that come with it, there is some default ai thats works okay if your building a game thats the sample games it comes with, ex Unreal Tournament style.

However, with scripting, you can create just about anything you could imagine.

Good Luck!

*edit*
    1.7gb for March's UDK
    Current Projects:
    Nocturnal Conventicle
    Narcotic Pursuit
    The Office
    Devils Triangle

join us on the IRC , we use irc.gamesurge.net and the room is #UDKC
    (っ◕‿◕)っ _____ ܔ(๏̯͡๏)
    Specs: gtx 670 - i7 - 32gb ram - Samsung 840 Evo - Win 8 Pro