Default Missing/unreleased music from UT2003/4?

Hi, first I would like to point out that I am not only a huge fan of the UT series, but also a huge fan of the music!

Lets look at the UT2003 music folder:

For now, lets just focus on the music files named "LevelX.ogg", where X = any number.

In the UT2003 folder, the music files are Level 2, 3, 5, 6, 8, 13.

Now lets look at the UT2004 music folder:

In the UT2004 folder, the music files are UT2003 files (Level 2, 3, 5, 6, 8, 13), plus additional ones: Level 7, 9, 11, 15, 16.

There are a few things that I have noticed:

1. UT2003 used the files 2, 3, 5, 6, 8, 13. As you can see, they skipped some numbers (like Level7), and those files were picked up in UT2004. This got me thinking...Did you guys make Level 7 and 9 before you started working on UT2004? Were they the "rejected" music files from UT2003 that got picked up in UT2004?

2. After that, this got me thinking even more...Where are the files named Level 1, 4, 10, 12, and 14? Were they ever made? or did you randomly skip numbers while making them? It would make more sense if the music files were actually made, but decided not to be used. If you happened to create more maps in UT2004, would you probably end up using Level10.ogg for example?

3. And after that, I thought about it even more...Are there any files that go past Level 16? Was there a Level 17, what number did you guys stop at? 20? maybe even Level 30?

4. I thought about it even more, and I couldnt sleep that night. I only went over the LevelX.ogg files...what about the other files? I'm pretty sure there are other files that were not used in UT2004, but do exist somewhere. A song comes across my head, its Mech8. It was used in the original UT, and UT3, but not in UT2003/2004. Did you create a Mech8 version for UT2003/4 and ended up not using it?

Mech8 from UT99 = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBnaKD7CU6M
    Mech8 from UT3 = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liaNSxvPQGU
    Mech8 from UT2004 = ?

What about Lockdown? Skyward? Foregone? Etc..

5. This can also apply to UT99 and UT3, do you have unreleased songs from those games?

I would like to see if you guys have unreleased music for the UT2 series (UT2 = UT2003/4, in my mind atleast). If you do (which I am really sure that you do, or atleast hope :P), do you still have them lying around somewhere? Can you release them? I want more UT music!

I have to end this post with this amazing song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNDUwUbMPFg
    Last edited by Piece of Sheet; 03-27-2012 at 01:08 AM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

You are missing something important, the Unreal Champhionship series, which was tied very closely to UT200X, at least when if first was developed.

The missing levelX files are on UC1 soundtrack:
    http://liandri.beyondunreal.com/Unre...l_Championship

IIRC, the only "missing" track is SDG-ONS07 (since those were made between UT2003 and UT2004).
    Quite busy at the moment. If you need to contact me for whatever reason, feel free to PM/email me, that will be the quickest solution.

I didnt even know Unreal Championship existed, I only play on the PC, have never owned a console in my life. That is very great to know that there are some tracks I have not seen. Is there any way to even buy those games? I just want them for the music.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by Piece of Sheet View Post
    Did you create a Mech8 version for UT2003/4 and ended up not using it?
    The only UT songs with covers are the menu and GoDown in UT2004. UT2003 ignored UT's music completely.

The game has music that isn't even used, like Menu1.ogg which is an early Unreal Tournament 2 song.

You might also be interested in Unreal II, as that has music dating from 2000 when all there was publicly is the Unreal Engine 2 demo video.
    Last edited by arbee; 03-27-2012 at 09:15 AM.
    ClassicOuch needs more old female and gib sounds.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by Piece of Sheet View Post
    I didnt even know Unreal Championship existed, I only play on the PC, have never owned a console in my life. That is very great to know that there are some tracks I have not seen. Is there any way to even buy those games? I just want them for the music.
    Don't worry, I did know much about UC either and wondered about those missing tracks too at first.
    You can probably buy the games on ebay.

While UC1 is more or less just a UT game for console, UC2 takes a separate path, using heavily the third-person view.
    Here is a gameplay video that Fewposts linked to a while ago:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zin9t0Leo2Y

It might make you want to give it a try one day or another (I know it does for me).

As for the soundtracks, IIRC, the games use the xbox adpcm, so if you get them, you will need to extract the music files then convert them (there are some tools online for that). Unless someone already did and uploaded them somewhere....
    Quite busy at the moment. If you need to contact me for whatever reason, feel free to PM/email me, that will be the quickest solution.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Some cut songs:

KR-outrage
    KR-Hide-n-Seek
    Level01
    Level04
    Level10
    Level12
    Level14

MSgt. Shooter Person

A bit off topic but .umx files from games that use the unreal 1 engine like unreal 1,ut99,deus ex,etc... can be played by a program called modplug player externally(not sure if it still exists online but I could email it...).Deus Ex .umx files have sub sections that can be set to repeat and only that section gets repeated due to the way the game was designed with regards to the music.