Default Gears Of War -Their View and How they War portray war within the game

Hi i am a Student at Stafford University, and i am doing an assignment that requires me looking into the portrayal of war in games.
    I have chosen 'Gears of War' and was wondering if anyone knows anything on this subject or knows where the best places to look.
    Such things as research that went into 'war' in 'Gears of war' would be brilliant.

Would appreciate any help anyone could give me
    Thank you

Legend.....wait for it....dary
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Meh PSN ID: Meh

War is very much the basis of COG society. All males and females of serving age serve in the Military. Its almost looked down upon not to do so. Since Sera has seen war throughout much of existence (a millennia of conflict before the Pendulum Wars known as the Age of Armageddon) war is apart of the culture on Sera. The Pendulum Wars is the 79 year long conflict in which the Coalition of Ordered Governments (COG) fought the Union of Independent Republics (UIR) for the limitless supply of Imulsion reserves. So as you can see, those on Sera know what war is. It has consumed the lands and when Emergence Day hits, the people are not as taken back by violence. Some say that the Pendulum Wars saved humanity in the long -- had them on their toes and had people prepared for another long war. Without it... humanity would have been caught off guard.

A good place to look is Gearspedia.
    I'll check in every now and again but for the most part, I won't be as active as I was previously. It really was the Gears + people that got me posting on here in the first place. Unless Epic release an awesome game or something. I'm leaving this message because I'm obviously a very, very important person.

Hope to see a lot of you on the BT Forums! - 11/02/2014 (lol)

MSgt. Shooter Person

Gotta say, my first thought of the Pendulum wars was that it reminded me a lot of the Cold War, the COG is kind of like the western countries aka the capitalists, and the UIR remind me a lot of the eastern countries aka Russia, etc. Even though the Cold War was not as long as the Pendulum wars, they were both still economical to an extent.
    Fav COG: Clayton Carmine.

Fav Locust: Savage Grenadier.

Boomshot

Quote Originally Posted by iMattx View Post
    Gotta say, my first thought of the Pendulum wars was that it reminded me a lot of the Cold War, the COG is kind of like the western countries aka the capitalists, and the UIR remind me a lot of the eastern countries aka Russia, etc. Even though the Cold War was not as long as the Pendulum wars, they were both still economical to an extent.
    The Cold War wasn't really about economics. It was the balance of power between two differing philosophies. Apart from Vietnam and Korea (where Russia had little input) the two sides never actually met in battle.

The Pendulum Wars had many face to face battles where the two great powers met.

@OP Not being funny mate but is it not difficult doing an assignment based on fictional war and planets? Maybe the same rules apply idk but I would have picked a game based on actual events. To me it would be easier (guess that's the point) to do Battlefield Vietnam or Medal of Honour (WW2). You would find a lot more articles on those.

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Captain Rex C67

For the pendulum wars, I always got the vibe of more modern wars i.e. Iraq war 1 + 2 for reasons personal to me. As for factual information, I'd recommend looking at Gearspedia, contacting Epic, and looking at the Gears of War making of/art books. There's little snipets in those about war and whatnot.
    Gears of War Judgment: 1500/1500 Gamerscore
    Gears of War : 1250/1250 Gamerscore
    Gears of War 2: 1750/1750 Gamerscore
    Gears of War 3: 2000/2000 Gamerscore
    Custom Lancer Replica: http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/sho...t28061540Gears

Cheers for the input guys, all will be helpful.

@james288gto, agreed mate not taking the easy option, but for this assignment there are no wrong answers apparently so along as i back up ideas with
    why i think that applies its not really a problem, and the marker isn't going to go and play the game they will just mark the Military content, and i love this game series so gives me an excuse to read up into
    the story in more detail ( i will probably regret all the extra work in a couple of weeks, but i will let u say i told u so aha )

Am checking out the Gearspedia

I take your point about it being similar to the iraq wars, specially the part were super-powers were fighting out imulsion, sounds very familar to our super-powers search for oil.

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by 00peteee00 View Post
    I take your point about it being similar to the iraq wars, specially the part were super-powers were fighting out imulsion, sounds very familar to our super-powers search for oil.
    See, now I wanted to mention the oil thing in my post, but thought I'd get flamed for it. Nice to see you haven't been

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by 00peteee00 View Post
    See, now I wanted to mention the oil thing in my post, but thought I'd get flamed for it. Nice to see you haven't been