Thread: UT3 Manta RC 1

Deathless

VEHICLE UT3 Manta RC 1

Name: UT3 Manta

Version: Release Candidate 1

Description: Thanks to its ultra-lightweight armor and unmatched agility, the Axon IFV Manta has repeatedly proven itself on battlefields across the galaxy. The Manta is propelled by two flush-mounted, magnetically impelled fans which can be instantly pitched, allowing the vehicle to leap high into the air, then quickly duck below incoming obstacles or enemy fire. Its superior agility is paired with two multi-stage plasma casters that burn hot and reload quickly, making the Manta particularly effective in suppressing enemy infantry.

Comments: Unlike the manta from UT2004, I made it so the blades stop spinning when the engines are off. Hope you enjoy this. Feedback is always welcome.

Screenshots:
    This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version
    Red manta.
    This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version
    Blue manta.

Credits: José Luís '100GPing100' mesh importing, shader creation and code for blades.
    Epic Games for the textures, meshes, animations, sounds.
    Wormbo for coding.
    GreatEmerald for coding.

Download: You are allowed to create more mirrors, but keep the zip file unchanged.
    NOTE: To download click on the version name (for example: "Beta 1").

(Retail Thread)
    » Fixed log warning.
    » Removed unnecessary static mesh.
    » Improved collision.

(Release Candidate 1)
    » Fixed the position of the duck effect.
    » Decreased hover height (you can now kill people without ducking).

(Beta 2)
    » Ailerons are now animated (code animated).
    » No longer leaves fire artefacts on the map.
    » Small texture changes (for slower PCs).
    » Increased air control from 1.0 to 1.5.
    » Decreased hover height.
    » Fixed driver's position.

(Beta 1)
    » First release.
    » Original meshes.
    » Original sounds.
    » Shaders with original textures.
    » Full mechanics.
    Last edited by 100GPing100; 02-12-2013 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Fixed Post Formating.

Boomshot

Bangin!!! fantasitic work!!!

YOu shoul eventually assemble a UT3 vehicle mutator It
    s leading in that direction.)))
    -Smart bombs, position guided armaments; a more sophisticated way to end up dead
    -On this day, I decide to anoint my fists; engaging them in the mode of power and war
    wut?

MSgt. Shooter Person

Yes, you should compile all those ut3 vehicles into one pack once you polish em up.

Deathless

Yep, it's my goal

This one I think could be RC1, the goliath needs 1 fix, the viper needs the projectiles looks and the nightshade needs some features. So it's moving quite fast, probably tomorrow or today I'll have the paladin out.

Redeemer

Cool. I really liked the UT3 manta because it somehow seemed more convincing than the UT2004 one, although this might be due to effects.

But I guess the biggest crapload of work will be the Darkwalker... Still, I know you can do it and I look forward to it. No haste with it, though.
    Béla Andràs Benedek Voicepack
    Anthony Cole Voicepack (both are Characters from the real-time strategy game "Paraworld") New mirrors thanks to Tux Android!

Extended Robot Voice

Deathless

Quote Originally Posted by Baryonyx View Post
    Cool. I really liked the UT3 manta because it somehow seemed more convincing than the UT2004 one, although this might be due to effects.

But I guess the biggest crapload of work will be the Darkwalker... Still, I know you can do it and I look forward to it. No haste with it, though.
    Glad you like it.

Shouldn't be, the hardest part would be the legs moving/position.

What will give a lot of work will be vehicles with wheels (some do not have bones for the wheels that work right with UT2004) and vehicles that need animation by coding (rotating bones).

great! nice to see so fast progress
    Shouldn't be, the hardest part would be the legs moving/position.
    you probably can use source code from the Blackstrider
    http://rusut.ru/_ld/2/236_BlackstriderBET.zip
    also in the HL2 monster Pack was the strider vehicle

about the vehicle:
    it floats too high over the ground now so you can't touch anybody without ducking

and could you make an option in the mutator's settings that will switch mantarunning on and off?
    also i think it needs some more air control, like in ut3

Deathless

Quote Originally Posted by UnShame View Post
    about the vehicle:
    it floats too high over the ground now so you can't touch anybody without ducking

and could you make an option in the mutator's settings that will switch mantarunning on and off?
    also i think it needs some more air control, like in ut3
    ups, forgot to test it with bots, my bad, I'll fix it try to release the fixed version after I get home from school.

What's mantarunning?
    More air control incoming

Deathless

great! nice to see so fast progress
    you probably can use source code from the Blackstrider
    http://rusut.ru/_ld/2/236_BlackstriderBET.zip
    also in the HL2 monster Pack was the strider vehicle

I knew about it's existence. I don't like to use others code, so I don't think I'll use it's code, I might just read it's code to see how they did it, but I won't copy it. Thanks for the link

What's mantarunning?
    it's when you stand on its wing or on top of it while your teammate is driving
    you can do it in ut2004 but you can't in ut3
    Last edited by UnShame; 03-16-2012 at 08:20 AM.

Deathless

Oh, the thing you asked me to implement on the Viper.
    Do you think it should be on (can stand on it) by default or off (can't stand on it)?

God King

Technically, you should really make it impossible per default (that's what the Hoverboard will be for!), maybe add an option to change it in the mutator menu, but in UT3 it's impossible and a goal of a remake or port is to replicate the original, except if it is an inspired remake of something. So in this case, go for the original! After all it shall be a part of the UT3 mutator pack, which is then again a "copy" of UT3 for UT2004.
    A huge fan of the entire Unreal franchise and Bulletstorm.
    UT2004 tips thread; UT3 tips thread; remastered UC weapon textures (UCBP for UT2004, still WIP), CTF-FacingWorlds99 (UT2004; final in the making); AS-Overlord (UT2004, Beta4); DM-Crane (UT2004, Beta1 - currently unavailable); CTF-BattleOnSlysBlockForts (UT2004, Final, made on request); DM-Morbias (UT2004, new link tba);

S l y .

God King

Not being able to stand on the Manta is one of the UT2k4 players' essential critic point about UT3, though.
    In UT2k4's VCTF does the Manta driver even get a special "Assist" announcement if he helps another player to capture the flag in a Manta run.
    Our Loop, which art in source code, hallowed be thy keyword.
    Thy condition come, thy instruction be done, in RAM as it is in cache.
    Increment us this day our daily counter,
    and forgive us our typos, as we also have forgiven our compilers.
    And lead us not to the nullpointer but deliver us from bugs.
    For thine is the API, the GUI, and the CLI while(true).
    Semicolon;
    Please don't send me questions about how to do something in the UDK via PM. That is better discussed in the forums and we only have limited PM storage.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by Crusha K. Rool View Post
    Not being able to stand on the Manta is one of the UT2k4 players' essential critic point about UT3, though.
    In UT2k4's VCTF does the Manta driver even get a special "Assist" announcement if he helps another player to capture the flag in a Manta run.
    You played VCTF only on VM I think:
    http://robinvanolst.com/projects.php?pid=3

There is also a mutator to disable manta rides, since some VCTF players don't like them (that was mostly at the beginning of the game, I suppose most people unhappy with them went to CTF):
    http://www.gamefront.com/files/14681099

Since giving a ride to one or more players is often used in ONS and as far as I know never created debate between players, I think Gping should let the UT2004 behaviour (probably less work anyway) and then include a mutator to disable the UT3 manta rides.
    Or perhaps, depending on how he will release things finally, release both a 1:1 UT3 replica and a UT3-UT2004 hybrid.
    Quite busy at the moment. If you need to contact me for whatever reason, feel free to PM/email me, that will be the quickest solution.

Do you think it should be on (can stand on it) by default or off (can't stand on it)?
    by default - on, i think
    I think Gping should let the UT2004 behaviour (probably less work anyway) and then include a mutator to disable the UT3 manta rides.
    option in the mutator's settings will be better >_>
    ----

this things should move depending on the direction of your moving
    you move up - it moves down and vice versa
    when you strafe to the left or right, one of this moves up and another moves down

Deathless

I will include an option for that on the mutator's settings being by default on (allows to transport players).

by default - on, i think option in the mutator's settings will be better >_>
    ----

this things should move depending on the direction of your moving
    you move up - it moves down and vice versa
    when you strafe to the left or right, one of this moves up and another moves down
    I do know about that, thanks for reminding me tough, and for the video (no need to open UT3 now xD).

Redeemer

IIRC these winglets are Karma attachments, which don't work in UT2004. But it could possibly be recreated in another way... *scratch*
    Béla Andràs Benedek Voicepack
    Anthony Cole Voicepack (both are Characters from the real-time strategy game "Paraworld") New mirrors thanks to Tux Android!

Extended Robot Voice

God King

AfaIk those are part of the strafe animations just like the Viper's strafe animations, aren't they?
    A huge fan of the entire Unreal franchise and Bulletstorm.
    UT2004 tips thread; UT3 tips thread; remastered UC weapon textures (UCBP for UT2004, still WIP), CTF-FacingWorlds99 (UT2004; final in the making); AS-Overlord (UT2004, Beta4); DM-Crane (UT2004, Beta1 - currently unavailable); CTF-BattleOnSlysBlockForts (UT2004, Final, made on request); DM-Morbias (UT2004, new link tba);

S l y .

Deathless

Quote Originally Posted by Sly. View Post
    AfaIk those are part of the strafe animations just like the Viper's strafe animations, aren't they?
    Nope, not animations.

I'm currently doing them by using it's Z velocity and bone rotation.

Deathless

Big Grin Progress

Progress:
    » Ailerons are now animated (code animated).
    » No longer leaves fire artefacts on the map.
    » Small texture changes (for slower PCs).
    » Increased air control from 1.0 to 1.5.
    » Decreased hover height.

» Fixed driver's position.

Beta 2 Released.
    Check first post for download link.

with beta2 i got those errors:
    Code:
    ScriptLog: Mutators UT3MantaBeta2.Mut_UT3Manta
    Warning: Unable to load 'UT3Manta': Unable to find the package file 'UT3Manta'
    Warning: Unable to load 'UT3MantaBeta2': Unable to find the package file 'UT3Manta'
    Warning: Unable to load 'Class UT3MantaBeta2.Mut_UT3Manta': Unable to find the package file 'UT3Manta'

Deathless

with beta2 i got those errors:
    Code:
    ScriptLog: Mutators UT3MantaBeta2.Mut_UT3Manta
    Warning: Unable to load 'UT3Manta': Unable to find the package file 'UT3Manta'
    Warning: Unable to load 'UT3MantaBeta2': Unable to find the package file 'UT3Manta'
    Warning: Unable to load 'Class UT3MantaBeta2.Mut_UT3Manta': Unable to find the package file 'UT3Manta'
    Sorry about that.

File re-uploaded.

nice ailerons
    but it still floats too high, look

the ok height is when you can kill standing enemy but can't kill crouching, without ducking of course

Deathless

nice ailerons
    but it still floats too high, look

the ok height is when you can kill standing enemy but can't kill crouching, without ducking of course
    I played some UT3 and it was hard to kill them without ducking, so I only reduced the height a little bit.
    I'm working on the Raptor right now, so I won't release the fixed version until tomorrow.

I would released it now (and would be Release Candidate), but the raptor needs a lot of code animation (the wings and the rudders). The wings are animated already, working on the rudders now (I'm missing something so they're acting all weird) and then the guns (should be pretty easy).
    If I get the rudders done today and not that late in the night I might release the fixed version.

I played some UT3 and it was hard to kill them without ducking, so I only reduced the height a little bit.
    hmm, maybe you're right...
    ----
    i just checked source files... there's so little amount of code... i'm surprised
    // UT3MantaDuckEffect.uc
    // Why did they set a life time?!
    lol
    anyway, waiting for the raptor
    and darkwalker

Deathless

Most of the code is done by GreatEmerald and Wormbo, the modifications I did are in between "tags" with my name.

Today I spent the hole day playing Final Fantasy VIII with my friend, so no progress on this, sorry.

Tomorrow I should have the manta released.

MSgt. Shooter Person

@100GPing100

Damn you beat me to this as I wanted to do this myself but I have no clue on how to do this.Initially I was just wanted to get a couple of UT3 meshes and vehicle meshes into UT2k4 which turned into a UT2k4 ONS map and at the same try out the whole emulating normals in ut2k4.Check the link out as it is interesting in what I have done though....The map uses the UT3 Viper and the UT2k4 Manta.I have the static mesh of the UT3 Manta and Goliath and most of the other UT3 stuff in the map thanks to meowcat ..

Deathless

Quote Originally Posted by maxdamage View Post
    @100GPing100

Damn you beat me to this as I wanted to do this myself but I have no clue on how to do this.Initially I was just wanted to get a couple of UT3 meshes and vehicle meshes into UT2k4 which turned into a UT2k4 ONS map and at the same try out the whole emulating normals in ut2k4.Check the link out as it is interesting in what I have done though....The map uses the UT3 Viper and the UT2k4 Manta.I have the static mesh of the UT3 Manta and Goliath and most of the other UT3 stuff in the map thanks to meowcat ..
    I was going to do that long ago with the viper (when it was still beta 1) but the cons were big enough for not doing it.

I might do this if requested by a small amount of users.

Deathless

Big Grin Progress

Progress:
    » Fixed the position of the duck effect.
    » Decreased hover height (you can now kill people without ducking).

Release Candidate 1 Released.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by 100GPing100 View Post
    I was going to do that long ago with the viper (when it was still beta 1) but the cons were big enough for not doing it.

I might do this if requested by a small amount of users.
    Like I mentioned in the post using that effect doesn't work with sunlight actors due to the gradients used for the effect.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Emulating Normal Maps??
    Here is another in-game shot using 100GPing100's UT3 manta and the other one is a screenshot of the editor using a sunlight actor in the map and you can see the result is aweful.Totally unusable.

[edit]Forgot to add when I load my map with the UT3 manta I get this message regarding a missing package in the editor:
    Warning: Missing TexRotator TexRotator UT3MantaTex.hoverFANSrotator
    Last edited by maxdamage; 03-20-2012 at 05:38 PM.

Deathless

Quote Originally Posted by maxdamage View Post
    Emulating Normal Maps??

[edit]Forgot to add when I load my map with the UT3 manta I get this message regarding a missing package in the editor:
    Weird, there is no code reference to that TexRotator on the code. Oh wait, must be a static mesh that's using this...
    Don't worry, that TexRotator isn't used at all, just a debug leftover. I will fix it on the next release.

Boomshot

Quote Originally Posted by 100GPing100 View Post
    Oh, the thing you asked me to implement on the Viper.
    If you're using existing UT2004 code, it would likely inherit the ability naturally. It may be tough to test since you need a buddy to climb in the Manta, and then let you jump on the "fan blade" area of the vehicle.

I always thought it would be cool if you tried jump on the manta, you fall through the blades and get chopped to bits, but that'd probably be tough to implement.

Sly, how'd you get that nifty banner under your name? Props man
    -Smart bombs, position guided armaments; a more sophisticated way to end up dead
    -On this day, I decide to anoint my fists; engaging them in the mode of power and war
    wut?

Deathless

Quote Originally Posted by FewPosts View Post
    If you're using existing UT2004 code, it would likely inherit the ability naturally. It may be tough to test since you need a buddy to climb in the Manta, and then let you jump on the "fan blade" area of the vehicle.

I always thought it would be cool if you tried jump on the manta, you fall through the blades and get chopped to bits, but that'd probably be tough to implement.

Sly, how'd you get that nifty banner under your name? Props man
    Ye, it's already implemented. I tested with bots.

The game starts with no bots, I go onto a manta and spawn bots, they come and enter the manta, with it on I can't stand on it.

Deathless

Cool Progress

Progress:
    » Fixed log warning.
    » Removed unnecessary static mesh.
    » Improved collision.

Retail Released
    Check release thread for download link.