Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: LoquaciousSix

Default [OLD]Wake Up Call, Story-Based FPS--Several Positions Open, Really Need Programmers

Hey everyone, it has been a long time since I posted a thread here and we are in need of some members now, so I figured I would post another thread. We are only looking for a couple talented members to join us, but anyone who thinks they can help is welcome to apply using the email at the bottom of the thread. Also, check out our indiedb page here: Wake Up Call Indiedb for more information. Also, like us on facebook (facebook) and follow us on Twitter (twitter).

Team:
    **Many of us play more than one role, and as such are just classified under our most prominent role
    Writing: (1/1)
    Dan Antselliovich

Level Design: (2/2)
    Millan Singh (me)
    George Hulm

Concept Art: (3/4)
    Daniel Young
    Maxime Bourgeois
    Steffen Nakatsukasa
    Searching...

Programming: (0/2)
    Searching...
    Searching...

2D Art/Texture Art: (0/1)
    Searching...

3D Art: (7/no limit)
    James Kelly
    Theocharis Chatzisimos
    Mikael Dufresne
    Rynell Amigable
    Michael Fitzpatrick
    Miguel Moraleda
    Jeff Jensen

Animation: (1/2)
    Phillipe Jaubert
    Searching...

Sound: (2/2)
    Nathan Durazzo
    Luciano Giaccomozzi

What is Wake Up Call:
    After a massive space-borne bacteria has killed or mutated most of humanity, Kyle Rogers is awoken to an alien Earth and must rescue the 10000 humans locked in cryostasis if humanity is to ever walk the Earth again. Wake Up Call is a story-based cinematic and immersive first person action game, based in a original sci-fi atmosphere and background. Wake Up Call aims to bring the best of puzzle gameplay and immersive combat controls to the first person action genre, and, most importantly to craft a breath-taking storyline with believable characters, beautiful narrative storytelling, and an entirely first-person experience. Wake Up Call aims to set a new mark in indie game development, utilizing the power of the Unreal Development Kit to bring amazing art, wonderful storytelling, and immersive gameplay all into one package that any sci-fi fan has to own.

What Have We Already Accomplished:
    • 15 page GDD
    • Full Backstory, Story Progression finished, Scripts about 30% done
    • A few exceptional actors, with more coming on the project, I have many contacts with good unknown actors
    • Art Style Guide
    • Dropbox folder for file sharing
    • 30+ pieces of concept art (not including different versions)
    • Centralized leadership (me), and I am dedicated to making the project (I put in 20+ hours a week)
    • Level BSP shells have started and are in progress
    • Plan for what we want to do with the game
    • Characters in process of making into 3D

What Is Our Plan:
    We have a few milestones in the near future that are marked down, and more to add later which are too far in the future to predict. First, our teaser reveal trailer: we want to finish that and debut it by June. Along with the teaser will be the release of a website dedicated to Wake Up Call where people can go to get more information and see all our news updates. After the teaser reveal, the next milestone is our kickstarter campaign, which is planned for sometime in the late summer or early fall, based on when we get enough traffic accross our site and enough pull in the games community to make it a successful campaign. Afterwards, we can't predict what will happen till we get closer.

What Do We Need Right Now:
    We need a Programmer, 2D Artist, and a Level Designer, the requirements are below. The programmer will be responsible for implementing our gameplay features such as freedom of movement and true first person viewpoint.

2D Artist:
    At least a year's experience in texturing
    Able to UV and bake normals
    Able to make diffuse, specular, and glow maps
    Able to make above textures for props, weapons, and characters
    Portfolio is required
    Concept Art skills are a plus
    Ability to make logos and graphics is also a plus

Programmer:
    At least a year of experience in UScript, preferably able to provide some past work
    Can work with any combination of the following topics: gameplay, AI, Characters, and Weapons
    A strong knowledge of C++ or other C-based language is a bonus
    You will be asked to perform a programming test when you are accepted if you do not have a portfolio/credited projects

Level Designer:
    At least a year experience in using the UDK Editor, with examples of things you have created
    Able to make outlines on paper or in photoshop/gimp and edit them until they are ready to go
    Experience in single player map-making is preferable
    Right now, BSP and outlines are the focus, so your past work doesn't have to be pretty, but the skills needed to make a map pretty are a huge plus

That said, if you are interested, even for a position not listed, pm me on these forums and/or send me an email at millansingh@gmail.com.

Here is some stuff we have done:

Thanks for reading, and hopefully we will see some of you on the team soon.
    Last edited by fragfest2012; 09-11-2013 at 06:52 PM.

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Updated OP with new info and new logo picture (just finished, thanks Max!).

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Bump, still looking.

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Bump, we are also looking for a gameplay programmer.

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Still looking, especially for a gameplay programmer, as I have gotten loads of artist applications from indiedb.

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Updated the OP a bit. We are still looking for anyone who is interested, but we are about to fill the artist positions for now.

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Both artist positions filled, looking for a gameplay programmer, and I have updated the OP to reflect all that.

Skaarj
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: ut 99

well, guys! we are command designers, if there is some interesting we can help your if there are some garantees for sells your game))

Sent you a pm, check your messages. Good luck anyway.

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

PMs sent, thanks for the interest!

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Major Update, tons of new media and we are looking for a programmer and a level designer.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by fragfest2012 View Post
    Ok a friendly advice (I'm so kind these days), check your proportions in this model I'm not an organic modeler but have one truly talented in the team and he agree with me in the fact that your model proportions are not right, try making a post in the polycount community to get some feedback and help.

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Well, to be honest, the person making him sorta left before he finished, so he rushed it to finish, therefore we are using him purely so that we have a main character. We will re make him later from scratch.

Hey just wanted to say your project looks good. I checked out you IndieDB page and the music from Collin and the concept art Speed Art video, pretty cool. Hope to see the game soon

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Heh, I hope to see it soon too!

I will gladly be a level designer, give me the assets and I can create a great level with you guys.

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Sent you a pm, we are still looking for more people as we want to get a few applications to be able to pick from them.

Iron Guard

Teh body on that guy looks great but there is somethign a little off on the face.. really good to see the progress you are making here though. How are you finding the whole development process going? Where are you seeing your greatest challenges and what is exciting you the most at the moment?
    ~Ryan Wiancko - Producer
    Ironbelly Studios -
    AAA Quality Services at Indie Prices
    UDK Developer & Service Provider(2D,3D,UI,Animation,VFX,Audio,Code) for PC, Console and Mobile
    Follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/ironbellystudios

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ironbelly View Post
    Teh body on that guy looks great
    Ok I was going to keep my mouth shut but again I'm feeling really friendly this days, the body have the proportions wrong and this is why:
    From the size is perfect (that's my organic modeler opinion) the mistake was that the guy who sculpt this one made the armor inside the proportions of the body wich makes no sense at all, he should calculate the body proportion and place the armor outside that proportion.

But anyway you can make your characters the way you want.

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Ok Jug, I do appreciate the criticism, I really do (I am serious here), but again, this was rushed and WILL BE REDONE as soon as we have the time and a Character Artist free to do so. As for Ironbelly, the challenge for me mainly is organization which I have been working on and trying to get in order better, but, while I am on this note, I wouldn't mind some advice in that area if you can give it. The development process itself is hard, to be honest. I think I am a much better leader and person now than I was when I started this project, but it continually strains me in time and effort because I have to balance this with school and other personal issues I have to deal with. It can also be frustrating at times when someone joins and then leaves in just a few days/weeks, which I have had a problem with this when it comes to 3D Artists (so far, our new set of them have been fairly reliable though). But, overall, it is also very fun. We are really entering production, finishing up scripts, writing, etc that is all pre-production and we are getting into the meat of the project. I only wish I had some money so that I could pay my team a little something for their work. But alas, I digress.

Banned

Ok Jug, I do appreciate the criticism, I really do (I am serious here), but again, this was rushed and WILL BE REDONE as soon as we have the time and a Character Artist free to do so.
    I read your old reply about the rush on the making of that character, but my last reply was meant for Ironbelly.

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Oh alright, no problem then, just had to make sure. Thanks!

PS: Are we getting along? This is totally awesome!

Banned

Oh alright, no problem then, just had to make sure. Thanks!

PS: Are we getting along? This is totally awesome!
    jaja piss off... "joke"

The Sacrifice

Ok Jug, I do appreciate the criticism, I really do (I am serious here), but again, this was rushed and WILL BE REDONE as soon as we have the time and a Character Artist free to do so. As for Ironbelly, the challenge for me mainly is organization which I have been working on and trying to get in order better, but, while I am on this note, I wouldn't mind some advice in that area if you can give it. The development process itself is hard, to be honest. I think I am a much better leader and person now than I was when I started this project, but it continually strains me in time and effort because I have to balance this with school and other personal issues I have to deal with. It can also be frustrating at times when someone joins and then leaves in just a few days/weeks, which I have had a problem with this when it comes to 3D Artists (so far, our new set of them have been fairly reliable though). But, overall, it is also very fun. We are really entering production, finishing up scripts, writing, etc that is all pre-production and we are getting into the meat of the project. I only wish I had some money so that I could pay my team a little something for their work. But alas, I digress.
    I swear I wrote that..
    I couldnt add anything more to my own project issues. Im not trolling here, just agreeing with you as this was a nice post to read - someone that feels my pain!

Its exhausting and as years go by, it doesnt get easier usually I have found. We have a core team now, but like yourself we experience the same thing I believe all indie teams have - people leaving and coming. In addition to what you said, the worse part is when people leave, go totally AWOL having waited months and months to finish character animation, or a character model only for them to leave and never upload the files, never contactable and you have to start EVERYTHING from the beginning again.

We have been there, done it.. and received the stress lines around our face to proove it
    Things in CPI are looking alot better now, we have a stable team, dedicated members and we have all raw files and artwork secure on our SVN.. if only we had another coder then I could relax this weekend without hunting my ass for another.

Enjoy your weekends, dont work too hard.
    Project Manager
    Critical Point: Incursion Project Site & Studio Site
    CP:I are recruiting: link here
    Check our our Showcase thread here: link here
    Check our our Facebook page here: link here

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Thanks man, I have a ton of schoolwork to finish this weekend, so I won't be able to work on Wake Up Call as much as I would like, plus I have a vfx project deadline coming up very soon and have to finish that this weekend. But, as some good news, I have now begun creating our actors list for the cast of Wake Up Call, which is awesome cause I know some great actors in my area.

I found I had the same problem with my team (some), mostly with Artists. Though I imagine it could be because I'm not an artist my self so I tend to work on a designers sheculde a million things to do but never enough time (and money ). And I too am going to school so i spend a big portion of my time making over games besides my own (in other engines). But the way i think about it, the pay off will be worth it in the end; everyday its another thing done and one less thing to worry about. Good luck with the actors!

Iron Guard

The development process itself is hard, to be honest. I think I am a much better leader and person now than I was when I started this project, but it continually strains me in time and effort because I have to balance this with school and other personal issues I have to deal with. It can also be frustrating at times when someone joins and then leaves in just a few days/weeks, which I have had a problem with this when it comes to 3D Artists (so far, our new set of them have been fairly reliable though).
    This is the bane of all project leads and one which you will experience a LOT, especially with 3D modelers. I don't know why but more than any other discipline the 3D peopel come and go the most.. Actually to take it to the extreme we have had 2 separate people who have joined our project and then completely given up their career as a 3D modeler to do something else and they were pretty damn good and experienced modelers. And the more serious, more organized and consequentially more demanding your project is the worse this is going to get as people join thinking they have the time, the patience and the skill to do what you propose when you recruited them only to learn that they have none of those things and then leave.

Right now we have 30 core members and 4 new recruits. Over the past year we've probably had 50 or so people join the project and just to get those people I've interviewed and spoken 714 people as of this week. That gives you an idea of how many folks it takes to establish a good team that will see you through you development(assuming that something doesn't happen in their life that pulls them away). You need to be constantly recruiting, constantly, it never ends. If your work forecasts calls for 5 modelers make suer you have 7 core modelers and 5 in the wings ready to go or working on smaller tasks because in 3 months chances are at least half of them will be gone.

The biggest advice I can give you is to just not stop.. You'll have probably your entire team leave at one point and a whole new team by time you're done but you're the only reason this project will get finished at the end of the day because mathematically if this takes 2 years, which it probably will, you are going to be one of the only people on board from the original crew. It's not a hit on you nor your leadership abilities, nor the project.. It's just a fact that people will get hired by AAA studios, people will have kids, people will get married, or people will just loose interest because while you can do everything possible to make sure they are connected to as much of the product as possible they still only see so much and to them it may seem like the project is going no where but to you you can see exciting progress that keeps you up at night and gets you up in the morning. Success rarely goes to the strongest or the fastest, more often than not success goes to the most persistent. and in the words of Forest Gump: "That's all I've got to say about that"
    ~Ryan Wiancko - Producer
    Ironbelly Studios -
    AAA Quality Services at Indie Prices
    UDK Developer & Service Provider(2D,3D,UI,Animation,VFX,Audio,Code) for PC, Console and Mobile
    Follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/ironbellystudios

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Well, if there is one thing I have, it is definitely persistence and patience, so hopefully I am on a good trajectory.

The Sacrifice

nice comments Ironbelly, you hit the nail on the head
    Project Manager
    Critical Point: Incursion Project Site & Studio Site
    CP:I are recruiting: link here
    Check our our Showcase thread here: link here
    Check our our Facebook page here: link here

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

I got to ask, is it just me or is the Wake Up Call Logo image really big on the screen?

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by ironbelly View Post
    This is the bane of all project leads and one which you will experience a LOT, especially with 3D modelers. I don't know why but more than any other discipline the 3D peopel come and go the most.. Actually to take it to the extreme we have had 2 separate people who have joined our project and then completely given up their career as a 3D modeler to do something else and they were pretty damn good and experienced modelers. And the more serious, more organized and consequentially more demanding your project is the worse this is going to get as people join thinking they have the time, the patience and the skill to do what you propose when you recruited them only to learn that they have none of those things and then leave.

Right now we have 30 core members and 4 new recruits. Over the past year we've probably had 50 or so people join the project and just to get those people I've interviewed and spoken 714 people as of this week. That gives you an idea of how many folks it takes to establish a good team that will see you through you development(assuming that something doesn't happen in their life that pulls them away). You need to be constantly recruiting, constantly, it never ends. If your work forecasts calls for 5 modelers make suer you have 7 core modelers and 5 in the wings ready to go or working on smaller tasks because in 3 months chances are at least half of them will be gone.

The biggest advice I can give you is to just not stop.. You'll have probably your entire team leave at one point and a whole new team by time you're done but you're the only reason this project will get finished at the end of the day because mathematically if this takes 2 years, which it probably will, you are going to be one of the only people on board from the original crew. It's not a hit on you nor your leadership abilities, nor the project.. It's just a fact that people will get hired by AAA studios, people will have kids, people will get married, or people will just loose interest because while you can do everything possible to make sure they are connected to as much of the product as possible they still only see so much and to them it may seem like the project is going no where but to you you can see exciting progress that keeps you up at night and gets you up in the morning. Success rarely goes to the strongest or the fastest, more often than not success goes to the most persistent. and in the words of Forest Gump: "That's all I've got to say about that"
    You got it. Without Struggle their is no progress.

MSgt. Shooter Person

If you still need a gameplay programmer, send me a pm! I am far from the best but I might do the job.

My experience in programming:
    - Web dev (HTML, CSS, Javascript, PHP, MySQL)
    - Base knowledge of OOP, C++
    - Pretty good at unrealscript (better than C++)

Major things I did (extending UT classes):
    - Custom AI (not THAT impressive)
    - Zombie spawner (pretty good)
    - Cursor and clicking on diffrent things event
    - Custom weapons (Ex: mine-thrower, explosive-tip crossbow (like in COD))
    - Third Person Camera with ability to scroll and
    - HUD using canvas
    - Custom key binds

Major things I didn't do:
    - Inventory
    - Scaleform as HUD
    - Networking
    - Split screen
    - Custom menus
    - Mobile development

I am a student, but I can work on it in my free time, especially to meet deadlines and if it's going to have my name on it (for portfolio)

I can ask my brother to know if he wants to do some level design for you. He is very good (in my opinion), but very busy with school 5 days a week...

PM me for more info!

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

PM sent to you.

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

A little update: added a link to our indiedb page at the top of the post so that people don't have to go to my signiture to find it. We also posted an update today on indiedb, the first update from us in a month and a half, check it out here: http://www.indiedb.com/games/wake-up...ave-been-up-to

Edit: Also, just added facebook and twitter links.
    Last edited by fragfest2012; 04-15-2012 at 10:32 PM.

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Bump, I will be updating this page soon hopefully.

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Hey guys, I will be posting another update on indiedb tomorrow, along with a suite of new art for this page. Just wanted to bump this up now, we are in need of a texture artist.

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Just bumping along here.

MSgt. Shooter Person

I will do level design. If you will have me :P ill pm you with my past work.

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Looking forward to the PM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

I forgot to mention, I have spent the past five years working in the unreal editor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast