Boomshot

VEHICLE UT3 Nightshade Beta 2

Name: UT3 Nightshade

Version: Beta 2

Compatibility: Unreal Tournament 2004 latest patch.

Description: Although there have been no confirmed sightings of the Nightshade, recon teams claim to have encountered an unknown "camouflaged support vehicle" in the field. These teams describe seeing minefields and other traps materializing out of thin air in battles with the Necris. Most likely, the Nightshade is surrounded by a cloaking system that permanently bends light, similarly to the temporary cloaking device that Axon Tech teams sometimes deploy to infantry captains. More research is needed, and ARC scientists would pay dearly to get their hands on this technology.

Comments: There is no Stasis Field yet, so if you try to deploy one you get a shield generator. AI is there, might not be the best, but it works for now.

Screenshots:
    This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version
    Cloaked.
    This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version
    Deployed.
    Uncloaked + Shield Generator.
    Healing node.

Credits: 100GPing100(José Luís) for the coding, mesh importing (custom meshes too, so the turret would turn), custom animations (needed because the system is diffrent from UT3), sounds, custom sounds (arm retract sound is a modified arm extend sound), shader creating.
    Epic Games for the textures, meshes, animations, sounds.

Download: You are allowed to create mirrors, but keep the zip file unchanged.
    NOTE: To download click on the version name (for example: "Beta 1").

(Beta 2)
    » Fixed bug with physics.
    » Mines no longer float.
    » Decreased effects of momentum.
    » Removed debug leftovers.

» Can no longer deploy on water (warning message included).
    » Fixed bug with placing mine while grabbing a new one.
    » Fixed log warning.

» Added the primary weapon (beam similar to the link gun's altfire).
    » Includes AI logic for the primary weapon.
    » Touched up AI logic for placing deployables.

» Compressed textures for smaller file size (~12.761Mb less).
    » Minor Fixes.

Spidermine Trap:
    » No Longer has unlimited spiders (Max: 15).
    » Fixed spiders being spawned for corpses.
    » Fixed spiders being attracted by corpses.

(Beta 1)
    » First release.
    » Includes: 3 mines (Spidermine trap, EMP and Shield Generator).
    » Basic AI logic.
    » Ability to cloak (while cloaked moves slower).

Attached Images Attached Images

Redeemer

Hehe! I really would have never guessed that. Looking very good though, going to try it out soon!
    Béla Andràs Benedek Voicepack
    Anthony Cole Voicepack (both are Characters from the real-time strategy game "Paraworld") New mirrors thanks to Tux Android!

Extended Robot Voice

God King

Awesome. Thought would be fine if you could do the same as Stealth Bender with the basic UT2k4 Hellbender mesh (without spawning the WeaponPawn turret in the back seat). Of course has the Stealth Bender different pickups: Link Station and X-Ray field (you can simply make it a deadly field that only damages infantry but also when they are in vehicles, while leaving the vehicle intact)

Still have the code of my attempt on the deployables (as Pickups) here, but had to let them slide. Will you make the deployables available as pickups too? Shaped Charge ftw!
    Our Loop, which art in source code, hallowed be thy keyword.
    Thy condition come, thy instruction be done, in RAM as it is in cache.
    Increment us this day our daily counter,
    and forgive us our typos, as we also have forgiven our compilers.
    And lead us not to the nullpointer but deliver us from bugs.
    For thine is the API, the GUI, and the CLI while(true).
    Semicolon;
    Please don't send me questions about how to do something in the UDK via PM. That is better discussed in the forums and we only have limited PM storage.

Redeemer
    Metro Manila, Philippines, Southeast Asia

Good one m8. I thought it was a monster (lol); downloading.

Boomshot

Quote Originally Posted by Crusha K. Rool View Post
    Awesome. Thought would be fine if you could do the same as Stealth Bender with the basic UT2k4 Hellbender mesh (without spawning the WeaponPawn turret in the back seat). Of course has the Stealth Bender different pickups: Link Station and X-Ray field (you can simply make it a deadly field that only damages infantry but also when they are in vehicles, while leaving the vehicle intact)

Still have the code of my attempt on the deployables (as Pickups) here, but had to let them slide. Will you make the deployables available as pickups too? Shaped Charge ftw!
    The stealth bender is planned

But I planned to make it using the mesh from UT3, wouldn't it be better with the original mesh?
    Also planned on doing the deployables has pickups, the only problem I came across is what weapon should they replace? Super weapons? Would be bad to replace the super weapons.

The X-Ray wouldn't be hard, the problem is I can't seem to spawn volumes properly... that's why the stasis field isn't in this beta.
    When I spawn my physics volume it only affects the center of the deployable mesh (where it is spawned), like if it had a really small size even tough I've set it's size properly :/

the game has crashed when spider attacked an enemy (im not sure, mb it was just a coincidence =)
    UT2004 Build UT2004_Build_[2005-11-23_16.22]

CPU: GenuineIntel PentiumPro-class processor @ 1731 MHz with 1007MB RAM
    Video: Mobile Intel(R) 945 Express Chipset Family (4906)

General protection fault!

History: KBodyGetActor <- BodyGetDoubleRate <- KBuildPartitions <- KWorldStepSafeTime <- KTickLevelKarma <- TickAllActors <- ULevel::Tick <- (NetMode=0) <- TickLevel <- UGameEngine::Tick <- Level Manta park (advanced by magis) <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop <- FMallocWindows::Free <- FMallocWindows::Realloc <- 10910191 0 FArray <- FArray::Realloc <- 0*2 <- FMallocWindows::Free
    also sometimes i can move in the deployed mode

but, as always, great job, im waiting for next betas
    Last edited by UnShame; 03-07-2012 at 12:18 PM.

Boomshot

Quote Originally Posted by UnShame View Post
    the game has crashed when spider attacked an enemy (im not sure, mb it was just a coincidence =)

also sometimes i can move in the deployed mode

but, as always, great job, im waiting for next betas
    I'ved tested it for several hours and the spiders didn't crash the game o0

You should be able to move because when you're deployed it has no physics,... so kinda weird too lol

Boomshot

Quote Originally Posted by unrealloco View Post
    wow 28.7mb thats like a map what you put in it
    nice work man
    There are more less 6 SkeletalMeshes, tons of sounds and textures.
    The .u and .ucl files together are only 2.47Mb in size, then the animations file is 4.29Mb, the textures packages is the biggest one 94.6Mb and the static meshes are 3.66Mb. Then the source + .wav files are ~4.99Mb.

The zip file is actually small compared to the textures package alone xD

God King

the textures packages is the biggest one 94.6Mb
    Did you compress the textures to DXT format?
    DXT5 or DXT3 should be fine I think, you should talk with Great Emerald about that though as I'm very sure you do this for his UT3 Style mutators like the Viper.
    A huge fan of the entire Unreal franchise and Bulletstorm.
    UT2004 tips thread; UT3 tips thread; remastered UC weapon textures (UCBP for UT2004, still WIP), CTF-FacingWorlds99 (UT2004; final in the making); AS-Overlord (UT2004, Beta4); DM-Crane (UT2004, Beta1 - currently unavailable); CTF-BattleOnSlysBlockForts (UT2004, Final, made on request); DM-Morbias (UT2004, new link tba);

S l y .

I'ved tested it for several hours and the spiders didn't crash the game o0
    well, as i said, it was just a coincidence
    but the log have many lines similar to this one
    Code:
    Error: UT3Nightshade VCTF-magisFunmap-v1.UT3Nightshade (Function UT3NightshadeBeta1.UT3Nightshade.bHasAmmo:001D) Accessed array 'Mines' out of bounds (0/0)
    another thing is that this bases don't stick to the ground

and what the hell? xD

Boomshot

Yes, I know they don't stick to the ground, I think I have the fix for it, but didn't try it yet.

About the last screenshot, ye...pretty weird bug, I don't know what causes it :/

The lines on the log I can fix, seems I need to check the log when testing to check for thoose things xD

I don't know what causes it
    well you can do it easily by driving backward off cliffs with ~90° =)

and it takes a long time to get back to the normal position

i can drive it in this position all the time using walls

or even do a barrel roll xD

probably it needs some limitation on the angle of rotation in the z(and y mb)-axis
    or maybe change this manta-style type of movement to the goliath's one

God King

Quote Originally Posted by 100GPing100 View Post
    The X-Ray wouldn't be hard, the problem is I can't seem to spawn volumes properly... that's why the stasis field isn't in this beta.
    When I spawn my physics volume it only affects the center of the deployable mesh (where it is spawned), like if it had a really small size even tough I've set it's size properly :/
    Does it really need to be done with Volumes?
    Can't you simply add an Actor with a mesh that has the shape of the field, make it colliding but not blocking and then use it's Touch() and UnTouch() to interact with whatever enters or leaves it's collision hull?

And for the pickups of the deployables: Do you mean which inventory slot it should occupy or really a replacement Mutator? Why don't people simply accept that level designers would be happy to just have the ability to place those items on their own and don't even want any mutator to replace superweapons.
    But maybe you can make a Mutator that simply adds them to any WildcardBase when there is one in the map.
    Last edited by Crusha K. Rool; 03-07-2012 at 04:00 PM.
    Semicolon;
    Please don't send me questions about how to do something in the UDK via PM. That is better discussed in the forums and we only have limited PM storage.

God King

But maybe you can make a Mutator that simply adds them to any WildcardBase when there is one in the map.
    Best and only option I would like to see, other than that deployables as items for mappers would be just fine.

I can imagine that it would be hard to make the spider mines grab one's head and still show it from first person. You know, in UT3 some explode and others jump onto your head and drill a hole into it and you see it from first person which is just awesome (especially the sound - that one when a spider grabs a robot head is the best, metal on metal scratching sound, EFF, YEAH! ).
    UT2004 tips thread; UT3 tips thread; remastered UC weapon textures (UCBP for UT2004, still WIP), CTF-FacingWorlds99 (UT2004; final in the making); AS-Overlord (UT2004, Beta4); DM-Crane (UT2004, Beta1 - currently unavailable); CTF-BattleOnSlysBlockForts (UT2004, Final, made on request); DM-Morbias (UT2004, new link tba);

S l y .

Boomshot

Quote Originally Posted by Sly. View Post
    Best and only option I would like to see, other than that deployables as items for mappers would be just fine.

I can imagine that it would be hard to make the spider mines grab one's head and still show it from first person. You know, in UT3 some explode and others jump onto your head and drill a hole into it and you see it from first person which is just awesome (especially the sound - that one when a spider grabs a robot head is the best, metal on metal scratching sound, EFF, YEAH! ).
    I have the animation for the first person drill, but didn't implement it.

Does it really need to be done with Volumes?
    Can't you simply add an Actor with a mesh that has the shape of the field, make it colliding but not blocking and then use it's Touch() and UnTouch() to interact with whatever enters or leaves it's collision hull?

And for the pickups of the deployables: Do you mean which inventory slot it should occupy or really a replacement Mutator? Why don't people simply accept that level designers would be happy to just have the ability to place those items on their own and don't even want any mutator to replace superweapons.
    The pickups for the deployables will be included in the next beta
    Tought about using the Touch() and the UnTouch() events, but didn't try it yet. The code to slow things down is done (at least it was, I think I didn't delete it ).

Edit: What about gravity? How can I change that inside of the "volume"?

Boomshot

well you can do it easily by driving backward off cliffs with ~90° =)

and it takes a long time to get back to the normal position

i can drive it in this position all the time using walls

or even do a barrel roll xD

probably it needs some limitation on the angle of rotation in the z(and y mb)-axis
    or maybe change this manta-style type of movement to the goliath's one
    Fixed (chars)

God King

Hmm, gravity... you mean for the slowing effect?

Can't you just clamp the maximum velocity of the Pawn in the zone? Would probably have to be done every Tick, unless you can set a variable for the terminal velocity and then just have to monitor that it's set when that Pawn enters the Volume and unset when he leaves it.
    Semicolon;

Boomshot

Hmm, gravity... you mean for the slowing effect?

Can't you just clamp the maximum velocity of the Pawn in the zone? Would probably have to be done every Tick, unless you can set a variable for the terminal velocity and then just have to monitor that it's set when that Pawn enters the Volume and unset when he leaves it.
    Maybe.
    I'm going to try it with mass first, if it doens't work I'll try that.

Boomshot

Touch and UnTouch won't work

They're called at the same time for some reason...

Boomshot

Big Grin Progress

Progress:
    » Fixed bug seen on the last screenshot posted by UnShame.
    » Mines no longer float.
    » Decreased effects of momentum.
    » Removed some debug code.
    » Can no longer deploy on water (warning message included).
    » Fixed bug with placing mine while grabbing a new one.
    » Minor fixes.
    » Fixed log warnings.

Spidermine Trap:
    » No longer has unlimited spider mines (debugging leftover). max is now 15 spiders.

God King

Do all deployables have also a normal lifetime so that they disappear after running out of it?

http://liandri.beyondunreal.com/Deployables
    Semicolon;

Boomshot

Do all deployables have also a normal lifetime so that they disappear after running out of it?

http://liandri.beyondunreal.com/Deployables
    Yes, and I used the values from UT3

btw what's about the primary fire?
    in the ut3 it's similar to the link gun altfire and can repair nodes & vehicles

Redeemer

I tested it now and I like it very much! Just a few things:

Spider mine spiders seem to get attracted by enemy corpses. You should fix that because it can get annoying with some mods that make ragdolls stay longer...
    Can you make the cloaking a bit more smooth? That would increase the impression of it actually disappearing.
    And will you add the possibilty for precise placement of deployables, i.e. the ability of the deploy-arm to move when it is about to place a mine?
    Béla Andràs Benedek Voicepack
    Anthony Cole Voicepack (both are Characters from the real-time strategy game "Paraworld") New mirrors thanks to Tux Android!

Extended Robot Voice

God King

In original UT3 could you also guide the spiders from the trap to distant targets by using the AVRiL's target laser, but that is of course not existent in UT2k4.
    Semicolon;

Boomshot

btw what's about the primary fire?
    in the ut3 it's similar to the link gun altfire and can repair nodes & vehicles
    That's what I'm working on right now actually

Quote Originally Posted by Baryonyx View Post
    I tested it now and I like it very much! Just a few things:

Spider mine spiders seem to get attracted by enemy corpses. You should fix that because it can get annoying with some mods that make ragdolls stay longer...
    Can you make the cloaking a bit more smooth? That would increase the impression of it actually disappearing.
    And will you add the possibilty for precise placement of deployables, i.e. the ability of the deploy-arm to move when it is about to place a mine?
    1. So it's the corpses that do that, I noticed that, but didn't understand what was causing it, fixed
    2. Yes, this is in my todo list. I will have an overlay for some seconds while it cloaks just like in UT3, and this overlay will then be shown when you fire while cloaked.
    3. Yes, it's also in my todo list, this will be added after I add the fixed camera when deployed, and will consist in rotating a bone depending on your rotation.

In original UT3 could you also guide the spiders from the trap to distant targets by using the AVRiL's target laser, but that is of course not existent in UT2k4.
    I wasn't sure whether I was going to implement it or not, but I think I will.

Boomshot

Big Grin Progress

Progress:
    » Added the primary weapon (beam similar to the link gun's alt fire). Still needs some tweaks to heal/damage the same amoung on diffrent framerates.
    » Removed debbug leftovers.
    » Minor tweaks.

Spidermine Trap:
    » Fixed spiders being spawned for corpses.
    » Fixed spiders being attracted by corpses.

To Do List:
    » Create and add overlay when cloaking/uncloaking, when taking collision damage and when firing while cloaked.
    » Reprogram the spiders.
    » Create the Stasis Field.
    » Normalize heal/damage of the beam for all framerates.

Boomshot

Big Grin Progress

Progress:
    » Normalized heal/damage amount done for all frame rates.
    » Added AI logic for the primary weapon.
    » Touched up AI logic for placing deployables.

To Do List:
    » Create and add overlay when cloaking/uncloaking, when taking collision damage and when firing while cloaked.
    » Reprogram the spiders.
    » Create the Stasis Field.

Boomshot

Big Grin Release - Beta 2

Beta 2 Released.

Check first post for download link.

Beta 2 Screenshots:
    Attached Images Attached Images

God King

Ehm, where is the actual download link?

But if it's really 97 MB for the textures, I don't see it being used all that much. No chance to cut the resolution in half? Or are they still uncompressed?
    Semicolon;

MSgt. Shooter Person

Click on "beta 2" in the first post (just before the change log lines)
    Quite busy at the moment. If you need to contact me for whatever reason, feel free to PM/email me, that will be the quickest solution.

Boomshot

Ehm, where is the actual download link?

But if it's really 97 MB for the textures, I don't see it being used all that much. No chance to cut the resolution in half? Or are they still uncompressed?
    They're all compressed to DXT1 except the icons that need alpha and therefore are compressed to DXT5.

It's that big because it uses a lot of texture, meshes and some static meshes.

Sizes:
    » Textures: 12.744 Kb
    » Animations: 4.404 Kb
    » StaticMeshes: 3.751 Kb
    » .u file: 2.716 Kb
    » .ucl 1 Kb

The compressed file is 16.628 Kb in size.

MSgt. Shooter Person

I really hope you put all the UT3 vehicles into one pack next time. I would like that.

Ill w8...

God King

Quote Originally Posted by lilalurl View Post
    Click on "beta 2" in the first post (just before the change log lines)
    Oh, hard to make out with the Gears forum theme.
    Semicolon;

MSgt. Shooter Person

I use the UDK theme and it is a bit more obvious but I switched to check. Well, white is not a very obvious colour for links, but I guess you get used to it after seeing all links as white.
    I miss the UT2004 theme . I guess I'll PM Flak to see if something can be done.
    Quite busy at the moment. If you need to contact me for whatever reason, feel free to PM/email me, that will be the quickest solution.

Boomshot

Quote Originally Posted by CMGuy View Post
    I really hope you put all the UT3 vehicles into one pack next time. I would like that.

Ill w8...
    They'll be released as a pack, but only after they're all done.

God King

I guess someone should indeed ask Flak about the forum themes. She said we would get them too, probably with the same/similar style as the old ones, loved that blue, was calming me down each time I was browsing this forum.
    Btw, I still didn't get used to these new smileys, somehow I miss the old ones.

I think it's best not to colour any links or stress important words while we are not sure whether we will get a new/the old style (back).

S l y .