Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: PSN: ShurikenUK

Question How do you exclude objects from DOF? (eg, the Skybox)

Can anybody explain to me how this is done? I thought there used to be an option like that ("Uses Post Processing" tickbox or something), but now I cant find it.

Really simple question, SURELY you can do this with UDK, right?

Thanks
    There is no religion except that of Music. There is no god, except that of your own will to create music.
    -Ancient Texts of Truth

Veteran
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: ambershee

You can't do it. The whole point of post processing is that it occurs to the image after it has been rendered.
    - Please do not send me questions regarding programming or implementing things in UDK via Private Message. I do not have time to respond and they are much better answered in the forums. -

MSgt. Shooter Person

I can't think of a reason you would want to do this so can you explain the effect you're after? There may be a workaround.

Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: PSN: ShurikenUK

The reason is so that the skybox doesn't go all blurry. I want DOF on all the forground objects, but I dont want the sky to look like its being viewed through a pair of inch thick glasses! Thats pretty weak man, how can an effect like this be impossible in such a high end engine LOL?

What about TRUE depth of field then, where the focus changes depending on what your looking at? That cant be a simple "after effect" plastered ontop of the screen like a sheet of paper can it? Theres plenty of games with DOF, but still, the sky isn't blurry, such as Jericho, Crysis, Duke Nukem Forever, Red Dead Redemption, Deus Ex 3 to name a few. The funny thing is, one of those games was made with UE3. So I dont see how this cant be possible, if its already been done.
    There is no religion except that of Music. There is no god, except that of your own will to create music.
    -Ancient Texts of Truth

It probably hasn't been done like that.

Think of it like this, if you were to do that in a rendered video, you'd have to render the background separately and then render the other elements, then you would render the DOF effect and combine the two, that means doing a completely different render pass and it would take a lot of resources.