Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Nice job!. I have been looking for a good alternative to notepad++ for some time and this seems to be it.
    There are some features that imho would be nice to add:
    • Custom compile flags
    • Shortcut keys - Like [F7] to compile
    • A button for starting frontend
    • An option for disabling sound and all the other stuff when running
    • An "update IDE" option from within the IDE

Have you thought about open sourcing it? I for one would love to help out with the development

MSgt. Shooter Person

Apart from the features already mentioned I only really miss line wrap from notepad++. Might be my personal preference, but not having to side scroll is a blessing.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Whenever I compile and have some file name and class errors, the editor crashes giving this error message: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION.
    Last edited by Racer1; 03-21-2012 at 01:27 PM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Also, I noticed that the editor is using 32 bits, although I have configured 64-bit for the OS inside the Settings Window.

An anoying thing is when having to files open, I move one of them to the side. Then, when I try to adjust the middle separator, pushing to one side, the editor will change the place of the files.

Requests:

* Is it possible to add a toolbar with the same buttons that we can find with the right click?
    * I would like to have also some buttons for hidding and sticky the panels.
    * Add a close button over the separator header.
    * Search inside all files on a folder.
    * (Ctrl+K - Block Comment Ctrl+Shift+K - Block Uncomment) Can you change that to a Toogle Comment with just one shortcut ( Ctrl + K ) ?
    * Option to open the editor with a map already loaded. Just need to pass some arguments like this: "D:\UDK\UDK-2012-02\Binaries\UDKLift.exe editor MyMap.udk?game=MyPackage.MyGame". Just add a textbox for us to enter the map name.
    Last edited by Racer1; 03-22-2012 at 11:59 AM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Amazing project, this has all the features necessary for easy UnrealScript development and it's free - simply amazing.

Two minor bugs I noticed:

- Using a German keyboard setting, I cannot place special characters such as brackets ({ }) or @-signs. This works fine using an English keyboard setting though.
    - When I close every script file using File->Close all it still opens every file I had ever opened as soon as I start the editor again. Closing every file manually via Right Click->Close closes it permanently.

Hi! First of all, thanks very much for this neat little program. Its very easy to setup without any hassle. Except for one gigantic error I have whenever I try to interact with my UDK. Maybe I've just got it setup wrong? Here's what its setup with.

I have my UDK on my Z: drive. I have UDKEditor on my C: drive. Running Windows 7 64 bit. Whenever I compile etc I get EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION and UDK Editor crashes to desktop. To test if this was a drive related issue I put UDKEditor on the same drive as my UDK installation. No change, still the same Error. Then I realised I had been running the 32bit UDK version of UDK so I looked at this, and tried 64bit. That still crashes.

So no go yet although it does look very promising. Hopefully my error report can help you.

EDIT: Should also mention I'm using the 2011-08 build of UDK. If that matters?
    Last edited by Mr Popo; 03-24-2012 at 08:23 AM. Reason: Gave build release

MSgt. Shooter Person

This has the making of a great IDE.

The setup is fantastic. From the way I see it, there are 3 features that this editor needs. I may give you a money hat before these are implemented, but if I dont I certainly will once they are, as this would become the UDK editor of choice for me. I have been upset with nFringe for a while, mainly because its unstable and the seat license is WAY too damm high.

1. Intellisense - (most needed feature, and you already have it on your list)
    2. Being able to select a method, class, constant etc, right click on it and "goto definition" (related to #1, really)
    3. Edit the UDK ini files from the editor. Maybe even some kind of formal way to do it though menus?

MSgt. Shooter Person

3. Edit the UDK ini files from the editor. Maybe even some kind of formal way to do it though menus?
    I like this idea a lot.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Popo View Post
    Hi! First of all, thanks very much for this neat little program. Its very easy to setup without any hassle. Except for one gigantic error I have whenever I try to interact with my UDK. Maybe I've just got it setup wrong? Here's what its setup with.

I have my UDK on my Z: drive. I have UDKEditor on my C: drive. Running Windows 7 64 bit. Whenever I compile etc I get EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION and UDK Editor crashes to desktop. To test if this was a drive related issue I put UDKEditor on the same drive as my UDK installation. No change, still the same Error. Then I realised I had been running the 32bit UDK version of UDK so I looked at this, and tried 64bit. That still crashes.

So no go yet although it does look very promising. Hopefully my error report can help you.

EDIT: Should also mention I'm using the 2011-08 build of UDK. If that matters?
    The way this edit is configured and programed by default I believe it will only work with the UDK being on the C:\ drive. I have the same problem, you can't work from a separate drive. Which is a shame as I have each game engine I use on a separate dive....

MSgt. Shooter Person

I have UDK installed in a UDK folder on my D drive. I have this editor in the same folder. It works for me.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by LeiterJakab View Post
    I have UDK installed in a UDK folder on my D drive. I have this editor in the same folder. It works for me.
    Opps... Wrong Editor....Was looking in wrong thread.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Sorry everyone for the absence. I've had to go off schedule due to a family members health issues.

I'm back on schedule, playing catchup at the moment, and I decided to just get started on the next major build. The next major build will provide the missing features and ideally fix the reported issues.

Again, sorry for the absence. Thanks to everyone for their compliments, reports, and suggestions. It is greatly appreciated. I will have the next major build available soon but my main concentration at this moment is our project.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Really good application, here are the small issues I noticed:

- the editor will start using a lot of memory and ram with prolonged use (occupy a 2ghz core and 1gb of ram)
    - Find&Replace seems glitched, it will sometimes erase parts of the file you're editing
    - Alt-Tabbing loses focus, you must click the mouse to resume typing code
    - no hotkeys for Build, Build&Run

Overall I love this editor, keep it up.
    Last edited by ciox; 03-31-2012 at 10:51 AM.

Skaarj

Wow, really clean interface with a nice Directory view along with a file view. Thank you! Can't wait for the "full version"

Anyways, a couple of things. I haven't read through the thread so please, don't mind this if it's already been reported:
    - If I hit ┤ on my Swedish keyboard (next to backspace), it'll put ] there and then when I hit a or space or whatever it works as expected
    - If I hit shift + ┤ to make a ` it'll add a new line and then put a } there.
    - If I hit ) it'll add another ) (shift + 9). I presume that all of these 3 problems come from the fact that I have a Swedish keyboard.

EDIT : And, just like magic, it is working... I'm stumped on any changes I made. In case it helps anyone, the correct path to use in my case was C:\UDK\UDK-2011-12

========================================
    ORIGINAL Message Below :
    ========================================

Looks very cool. I'm also getting the EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION on compile.

Does the version of UDK matter ? I'm using UDK-2011-12.

I may have missed it, but the above isn't totally clear on what we should specify for the UDK path. Do we path directly to UDK.exe (C:\udk\UDK-2011-12\Binaries\Win32), or just the install folder (C:\UDK\UDK-2011-12\) ?
    Last edited by Mooser; 04-09-2012 at 09:47 PM.

Tried it out, some thoughts below. Again, not sure if these have been addressed earlier. Overall, huge kudos for working on this and releasing.

* Keyboard shortcuts for step into/over? Also, shortcuts for adding/removing a breakpoint

* When debugging, what determines the order that the members show up in the tree view? It doesn't seem alphabetical.

* Also when debugging, do local variables show up anywhere? I only see class members.

* How difficult is it to add a callstack (I've never debugged uscript, not sure how easy/hard this is)

* If the file changes on-disk, (for example by another editor), there is no indication in the editor. It does not refresh, and there is a def possibility of overwriting

* Personally, I wish there was a way to insert spaces instead of tabs but I can see how this is low low priority

MSgt. Shooter Person

Thank you everyone for all of the comments, suggestions, and bug reports. It is greatly appreciated, guys.

We've just about finished enough for our milestone in our project R.A.T.S., which afterwords will give me some time back to update this IDE. I've been working with the IDE extensively during this milestone, which started after I released the alpha, and I've noted a LOT of problems. I had no idea some of these inconsistencies appeared the more you worked with the IDE; something that I had no time to check when building the IDE and had always planned to thoroughly test during the R.A.T.S. milestone. I'll be addressing all of what I've noted and what all of you have posted.

There were several things that I really liked about the IDE in terms of work-flow. I believe the error lines after compiling/building is the most time saver in the editor. As someone has posted, I forgot to enable keyboard shortcuts, definitely overlooked that at the time. I noted that there is tabbing inconsistencies but I believe that is when working heavily with cloned or moved tabs. The entire tab system is going to be rebuilt and will include the features listed previously by myself and others. I also don't like all the static panels, so I believe I'll be making every panel a floating/docking panel to give more reading/typing room. It would also give the IDE extensibility to provide more panels for various other topics such as the settings, compile settings, packaging, and so forth.

Thanks again to everyone for the help and I will have that updated IDE released as soon as possible. Do us a favor and look for the upcoming video releases for R.A.T.S.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Awesome work! Beats using a text editor by a mile.

My only request would be the ability to override color settings for specific words. For example, I would set true, false, and none to a different color. I do get that this probably just my preference and not that important. Keep up the good work!
    Last edited by JohnnyFlash; 04-15-2012 at 08:05 PM.

Skaarj

Here are a few more suggestions which I came up with today:

TODO support. If you type TODO, track it and make me able to find them without using CTRL+F. Just a small feature I think Eclipse has.

CTRL + backspace. Try it and see what it does.

CTRL + tab (CTRL + SHIFT + tab) To cycle between tabs

EDIT: Refreshing the \src\ tree/view

Templates. Maybe this exists, I haven't really looked. You can define a template to use when you create a new file. Something like:

Class X extends Y

DefaultProperties {}

Maybe have a dialogue box pop up which asks "What will this class be called?" "Which class should this extend?". Perhaps have a fancy drop-down menu with all the classes which can be extended (maybe just the default ones unless you can pull off some sort of class-indexer). The dialogue box could also ask which folder this should be placed in.
    Last edited by Kilobutt; 04-17-2012 at 04:22 PM.

hey, i hope im being stupid, but I cant create a folder from the Directory ? seems like a huge miss to me ?
    I assume I'd have to create a folder, then go back into the IDE and it will find it ? - Other wise, i really like it, only used it a bit, could defo do with a "go to def" and other things, but you seem to be on top of it all, soooo.. good work! keep going !

add a right click context menu to the directory tree : Create Folder, Create Class, Refresh, Delete * ?
    - again if this is actually there, please someone point me in the right direction

MSgt. Shooter Person

At the moment you cannot create a folder in the directory tree but it is a fantastic idea. Thanks for sharing.

Skaarj

Have you ever considered making this able to be used as a network collaborative tool? So developers across regions can work on the code together? That would be a fantastic feature to add.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Please don't forget about resolution problem at 1366*768, anyway, very good job, thank you!

MSgt. Shooter Person

Any word on updates?

MSgt. Shooter Person

Am also interested about any updates

MSgt. Shooter Person

Doppler: That is actually what I want to eventually achieve within the IDE. That was planned with the SVN management and backup management. I, too, think that would be very interesting.

Anteris: Will do, thanks for reminding

JohnnyFlash/ciox: I will have the extra time real soon to finish up the next version. My primary project is taking up all of my time at the moment but our next milestone is almost met. Sorry for the long wait but I definitely appreciate your interests.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by eternalcrisis View Post
    JohnnyFlash/ciox: I will have the extra time real soon to finish up the next version. My primary project is taking up all of my time at the moment but our next milestone is almost met. Sorry for the long wait but I definitely appreciate your interests.
    No worries, I'm sure we all get it. I'm programming 6-8 hours a day myself, in addition to a full time job.

While I'm posting, would auto function collapse be possible? Just a button to collapse everything in the class.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyFlash View Post
    No worries, I'm sure we all get it. I'm programming 6-8 hours a day myself, in addition to a full time job.

While I'm posting, would auto function collapse be possible? Just a button to collapse everything in the class.
    Yes, that is actually a feature I meant to have available in the original release, but completely forgot about it. I noticed it when I wanted to collapse all the functions to shorten up a class while I was working on it, and I consider it a vital standard feature. It will definitely be available and it's not difficult at all, just accidentally overlooked.

Yeah man, I'm trying my best to stretch my schedule for time to work on the IDE, and it's one of the reasons why I'm thinking of releasing the full source by version 2.0 (giving me some time to organize the code for others to work with). This way everyone can expand the IDE the way they want.

MSgt. Shooter Person

That sounds like a great idea, I would add a custom color group to it right away. If you always use the same names for local vars, it can help a lot to have them highlighted and separate from the base classes.
    Last edited by JohnnyFlash; 06-19-2012 at 08:27 PM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Good work man...

It is always necessary to press Control + Space to get the help of IntelliSense? Can not be configured to go showing the suggestions as I write?

MSgt. Shooter Person

I can't seem to get testing and debugging to work properly with the new July build of UDK, anyone else have this problem? I updated the paths and otherwise kept the same settings as before (was the Feb build) but while compiling etc works fine I have to test the game by running UDK.exe myself.
    What happens is there's no debugging window and only the test level is loaded with none of the game code when launching from the IDE.

Edit: it's actually the logging window that doesn't show up, nothing to do with debugging
    Last edited by ciox; 07-29-2012 at 02:15 PM.

For anyone who is wondering the path you should be using is UDK\UDK-2012-07 or whichever version of UDK you are using.

Whenever I download this it says this could contain viruses...

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by Manill66 View Post
    Whenever I download this it says this could contain viruses...
    Which program is telling you that?
    Alienware M15x
    i7 940XM 80TDP - 6970m 710/900 1.0v
    16GB DDR3 - 256GB 830 SSD - Hitachi 7K1000
    3x 23" Asus PA238Q IPS LCD
    Adobe CS6 - Blender 2.65a - UDK November 2012

Chrome has recently added a feature that flags zip files that do not have many global downloads as 'Suspicious'. This is causing a ton of confusion all over.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Is this project dead? Their website account has been suspended.

I was wondering the same thing...

God King

I sometimes talk to Paul, I'll see if I can get him to look at whats going on. Ill let him know there is still a lot of interest!

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by TheAgent View Post
    I sometimes talk to Paul, I'll see if I can get him to look at whats going on. Ill let him know there is still a lot of interest!

Any news on this?

The Sacrifice

My only grip is that each time I change the layout of the windows, it came back to the default after restart... Seriously, the file explorer must always on the LEFT and the "open files" window take too much place and is not really necessary. I like to keep at least 80% of my screen for the code and not 60%. Why don't you take Codeblock, Visual C++ and etc for references ?

Why do you force people to learn a new layout when the old one was already fine ? This definably need to support (and save!) user's customization of the layout. And some icons for the file explorer would be fine.

A nice IDE otherwise

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast