Epic Games Releases February 2012 Unreal Development Kit Beta
Epic Games, Inc. has released the February 2012 Unreal Development Kit Beta, the latest version of the free edition of Unreal Engine 3 that provides access to the award-winning 3D game engine and toolset used in blockbuster video game development, architectural visualization, mobile game development, 3D rendering, digital films and more. The latest UDK beta is available now at www.udk.com/download.
Unreal Engine Showcase: Renegade X
When the team at Totem Arts wanted to turn their award-winning Unreal Tournament 3 mod into a standalone experience, they instantly knew that the Unreal Development Kit (UDK) was the only tool for them.
Now, with a single-player campaign already released and multiplayer on the way, Renegade X is another example of how the powerful and easy-to-use tools of the Unreal Engine 3 toolsetenable small developers to make their vision a reality. Read more.
We have showcases of some of the most outstanding video game, architectural visualization, and mobile apps using UDK atwww.udk.com/showcase and www.unrealengine.com/showcase. Also be sure to check out the Works in Progress and theReleased Projects forums.
February UDK Beta Upgrade Notes
- Added support for uniform color multiply mask
- Documentation can be found here
- Added full support for Scaleform user interfaces on iOS devices
- Integrated ReCast navigation mesh toolset, which provides fast and robust generation of navigation meshes
Unreal QualitySwitch material expression
- A new material expression that enables you to make High and Low quality versions of a material
- Controlled by a switch in the material editor within the Utility Group, called QualitySwitch
- The quality mode used is based on video settings. Similar to the Resolution and World Detail settings, Material Quality can now be set to low for older computers
- You can now save and share foliage settings in packages
New and Updated UDN Pages
- New “Create Sub-Archetype” feature added to Content Browser. Right click on Archetype assets to create sub-archetypes
- Material editor: Added “WorldPosOffset” category to the right click menu
- Getting Started