Default problems with custom game mode + multiplayer

i have my custom game mode, it appears in mutliplayer
    i run 2 instances of udk one hosts the custom game and its map
    the other joins
    it will never join, always crashes with no real information
    is there a clear guide on adding your own custom game tpye then calling it inside the muiltplayer window ?

also, any pointers?
    all ive done is add my custome game info to the defaultgame.ini
    Code:
    [CustomeGame UTUIDataProvider_GameModeInfo]
    GameMode=Custom.CustomGameInfo
    GameSettingsClass=UTgameSettingsDM
    GameSearchClass=UTGameSearchDM
    PreviewImageMarkup=UI_FrontEnd_Art.GameTypes.___VCTF
    DefaultMap=CG-Test
    Prefixes=CG
    OptionSet=CG
    IconImage=UI_HUD.HUD.UI_HUD_BaseD
    IconU=230
    IconV=76
    IconUL=104
    IconVL=113
    what else am i missing ?

Thanks
    axelzellalex

MSgt. Shooter Person

You spelled custom game wrong in the section info. You wrote custome.. Also start with -log, maximize the console window and usually you'll get a decent error message there even if the game hangs up!

stupid question, how do i "start with -log" isthat inside the prop window of the .exe ?

stupid question, how do i "start with -log" isthat inside the prop window of the .exe ?

MSgt. Shooter Person

Yeah just write -log behind the shortcut on your desktop!
    C:\UDK\UDK-2012-02\Binaries\Win64\UDK.exe Game=axelzellalexGame.axelzellalexGame -log

ok here is a print screen from the command log (which also crashed when my 2nd instance of UDK tried to connect to my 1st instance)
    http://www.zshare.net/image/99246580756747f4/

and here is the actual log output from 2nd Instance
    Code:
    [0040.65] Log: LoadMap: 192.168.0.9/HG-Test?name=Player?Team=255?game=Hunter.HunterGameInfo
    [0040.65] Log: --- LOADING MOVIE START ---
    [0040.72] ScriptWarning: Invalid user index (255) specified for ClearReadProfileSettingsCompleteDelegate()
    	OnlineSubsystemSteamworks Transient.OnlineSubsystemSteamworks_0
    	Function OnlineSubsystemSteamworks.OnlineSubsystemSteamworks:ClearReadProfileSettingsCompleteDelegate:00FE
    [0040.85] Log: 
    [0040.85] DevMemory: Memory allocations reported by the OS: 315.96 MB (with 0.00 MB waste)
    [0040.85] DevMemory: Virtual memory tracked in the allocators: 123.57 MB (with 112.47 MB used, 3.15 MB slack and 7.95 MB waste)
    [0040.92] Log: Building adjacency information for static mesh 'MyPackage.Walls.WallMesh'.
    [0041.03] Log: Primary PhysX scene will be in software.
    [0041.03] Log: Creating Primary PhysX Scene.
    [0041.05] Log: Bringing World HG-Test.TheWorld up for play (90) at 2012.03.03-20.19.21
    [0108.31] Log: === Critical error: ===
    Fatal error!

Address = 0xaf7374   (filename not found) [in C:\UDK\UDK-2012-01\Binaries\Win32\UDK.exe]

the only error i can see is the "invalid User Index(255)" - but im not sure what im meant to be looking for

the log seems to suggest what im alreadying seeing, UDK2 can see the game UDK1 has created and tries to join, as soon as the map is attempted to be loaded it fails and crashes
    but again, i have no idea what im looking for (yet)

MSgt. Shooter Person

First try using this .EXE
    C:\UDK\UDK-2012-02\Binaries\Win64\UDK.exe
    instead.

Also the "invalid User Index(255)" -> try to start with just HG-Test?game=Hunter.HunterGameInfo and leave the team part out.

ok i will try with just the .exe - but i assume that is what i was starting with before
    also how do i use the "HG-Test?game=Hunter.HunterGameInfo" ? where do i put that?
    if that is like this : "...UDK.exe -HG-Test?game=Hunter.HunterGameInfo" then how do i join that run?

at the moment, what im doing is loading the standard UDK, and going through the main menus ie Multiplayer Host/Join

MSgt. Shooter Person

Dude you've got some basic stuff to read lol
    You're doing it wrong, when you start with the standard exe, it loads all of the utgame code, and if you then try to fiddle your gamecode in there it will get messed up.
    Follow these steps:
    1. Go to C:\UDK\UDK-2012-02\Binaries\Win64, right click UDK.exe and do "send to desktop (create shortcut)
    2. Go to the desktop shortcut and its properties. Now I don't know what it says in english, smth like target? Change it to
    C:\UDK\UDK-2012-02\Binaries\Win64\UDK.exe server DM-Deck.udk?Game=Hunter.HunterGameInfo -log
    3. Make another copy of that shortcut and change the execution path to
    C:\UDK\UDK-2012-02\Binaries\Win64\UDK.exe 127.0.0.1 -Log

Now you first start the shortcut from 2 - that's your dedicated server. After that you start the shortcut from 3. It will connect to the ip 127.0.0.1 - that's your local pc by definition. If you want to test the game with two clients, just start the client shortcut (from #3) another time!

You should really start to read through some basic guides though:

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/BasicGameQuickStart.html
    http://www.hourences.com/an-entire-simple-udk-game/
    http://udkc.info/index.php?title=Tut...e#tab=Page_One

It's really not all that complicated and you will get the hang of it pretty quickly
    Working on a spiritual successor to Unreal II's eXpanded MultiPlayer: UDK:XMP

oh ive done all those in regards to creating my own exe for my game build etc... been using udk for a few years now
    my first time trying as a multiplayer

but i was sure to use a gametype in multiplayer you could just create the game mode (like a mutator) in the menu of unreal - im sure thats how it used to be done
    i will try what you have said here - not done it like this

i followed what you said but has not worked
    i begin my "...UDK.exe HG-Test.udk?Game=Hunter.HunterGameInfo -log" which loads up my level etc... and not the UDK menu stuff
    then i ran my "...UDK.exe 127.0.0.1 -log" but that just began another version of the game

"Cant start an online game that hasnt been created" - is the error i get with both runs
    Last edited by axelzellalex; 03-04-2012 at 01:41 PM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Wanna read this line again?

C:\UDK\UDK-2012-02\Binaries\Win64\UDK.exe server DM-Deck.udk?Game=Hunter.HunterGameInfo -log

LOL i assume the KEY word that i missed ... is... "server" ....
    i shall try right now!

ok, so when i run the server .exe the log window gives me an error:
    Code:
    Error: Can't create a new online session when one is in progress: Transient.UTGameSettingsDM_1
    ScriptWarning: Failed to reister game with online service.Game wont be advertisied.
    but i assume the "Online" part is fine, as its creating a local instance
    when i start my ".exe 127.0.0.1" my log says "Accessed None Map Info" and again with the "TeamIndex 255" :S
    and the game crashes on the loading screen which says "DeathMatch" and "Test" - Test being my map name, but I dont know why its loading DeathMatch ? id have thought it would reference HunterGameInfo

when tyring to join the game, my server console window does say "HG-Test.udk (1 players)" - interesting

MSgt. Shooter Person

The error that you server log is giving you has to do with steam and online subsystem stuff, I don't know really but it's normal that it doesn't work at this point. I have it aswell.

Did you do this stuff from the guides?

Code:
    [Engine.GameInfo]
    DefaultGame=UDNGame.UDNGame
    DefaultServerGame=UDNGame.UDNGame
    PlayerControllerClassName=UDNGame.UDNPlayerController
    GameDifficulty=+1.0
    MaxPlayers=32
    DefaultGameType="UDNGame.UDNGame"