MSgt. Shooter Person

Default Help with importing drawing files?

Has anyone tried to import files from something like Revit? I try sectioning the building off and limiting the selection to walls, then exporting as .fbx. It imports as a static mesh, but the scale of the textures is way off, and the collision detection is not great.

Any ideas? Is it easier to just build from the ground up in UDK?

Prisoner 849

You can't import Revit, SketchUp, or AutoCAD files directly into UDK. Technically you can but you will get the result you are getting now. You need to bring them into either Maya, Max, or Blender to handle UV layout and then import into UDK.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Ah, I thought that might be the case. Luckily I have access to 3DMax, if that is what you are referring to. I am unfamiliar with it, though. Is it fairly easy to get the basic layout of a building put together there and imported to UDK?

Prisoner 849

I use Maya but there are loads of 3DMax tutorials here and on YouTube showing how to prepare a mesh for UDK. You probably need to learn basic navigation and UV layout function of Max.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Theoretically, could I prepare a complex mesh like a building layout, or even just a room with 6ish walls?

Prisoner 849

Quote Originally Posted by Icemopper View Post
    Theoretically, could I prepare a complex mesh like a building layout, or even just a room with 6ish walls?
    I don't understand the question. You're asking if you, with no Max knowledge, can prepare a complex mesh or a room? Or are you asking if Max can prepare a complex mesh or a room? If it's former, it will depend on your willingness to learn and if it's latter, yes Max can handle it.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by taz1004 View Post
    I don't understand the question. You're asking if you, with no Max knowledge, can prepare a complex mesh or a room? Or are you asking if Max can prepare a complex mesh or a room? If it's former, it will depend on your willingness to learn and if it's latter, yes Max can handle it.
    Both. You've been very helpful, thanks. I have no Max knowledge, but others in my firm do, and they'll be assisting. It will be a learning process for all, but the end result could be exactly what we're looking for.

Thanks.