Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hgamer01

Quote Originally Posted by WraithTDK View Post
    I'm on chapter 17 of The Slab right now, and I've never cared about spoilers. I did read the part where Adam talks about her, but he doesn't actually come out and say she's human, just that "she knows what she is and where she came from."

I understand the evidence that she doesn't seem to have lambent cells, but if she's not at least part locust, why is her skin grey?
    Your skin tends to be gray when you have an absence of sunlight for over 20+ years lol

Iron Guard

Quote Originally Posted by Gearslover01 View Post
    Your skin tends to be gray when you have an absence of sunlight for over 20+ years lol
    This lol was about to post this haha

Joveus do u think the method of processing requires humans to contract rust lung? From what I can remember we haven't seen what the final outcome of rustlung is during the locust/human war! Yes sires were the results of rustlung during the gold rush but as we know imulsion was constantly mutating! And formers were the result of rustlung after the flooding of the hollow and just before the lambent life cycle reached its critical state! But what about the time inbetween? We seen the humans being captured in gears 2 do u think exposing them to imulsion vapour is the first step to this "processing" method the locust used?

I hope u understand what I'm trying to say dude thanks

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Coleyman07

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterion Rises View Post
    This lol was about to post this haha

Joveus do u think the method of processing requires humans to contract rust lung? From what I can remember we haven't seen what the final outcome of rustlung is during the locust/human war! Yes sires were the results of rustlung during the gold rush but as we know imulsion was constantly mutating! And formers were the result of rustlung after the flooding of the hollow and just before the lambent life cycle reached its critical state! But what about the time inbetween? We seen the humans being captured in gears 2 do u think exposing them to imulsion vapour is the first step to this "processing" method the locust used?

I hope u understand what I'm trying to say dude thanks
    Not sure about Rustlung specifically, but processing definitely involved controlled imulsion exposure.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Gov Breakdown 7

Hello! I came across your theory of the Locust's origin and I must say, it's incredibly well thought out. However I disagree with some of your points. This may be a bit crude but here we go:

"As stated in Beneath the Surface, thousands of humans have been taken by the Locust since E-Day. Using the Locust Runes the Trinity of Worms can be seen to state “The Queen makes Drones, the Drones protect Nexus, Nexus covers the Queen”.

Having seen that the Locust do not breed, the only other interpretation would be that the Queen literally makes Drones. Taking what we have learned about the Locust origins from New Hope and the role imulsion plays in their development, it can be concluded that Drones are created through imulsion exposure.

But there must be more to it than that, otherwise exposed humans would just become Formers. “Processing”, therefore, must include another element. Since the Locust origins were at New Hope, and at least some of the scientists travelled to Mount Kadar with the “subjects”, the method of “processing” must have been passed down. And who makes the Drones? The Queen."
    It's very well possible that "processing" refers to putting the humans into work camps as seen in Gears of War 2. Another possibility is that "processessing" refers to lobotomizing the captives like they did to Maria. The Gears 2 collectible even states that the "children" are sadistic and enjoy torturing their victims, most likely out of their hatrid for humankind. Same thing here. The Locust force humans into labor and lobotomize them as a form of torture. As for the Queen "making" drones, it's possible that she oversees their training and "makes" them into the warriors they eventually become. No real evidence to support this, just my 2 cents.

“Baird here.

I guess this could be an invasion map, but it looks more like a kid's drawing
    to me. Li'l Locust, do they have those?

I was just asking Marcus about this earlier... Why aren't there any Locust
    brats around here? Figured we'd see some grub's grub somewhere around this
    place.

Well, guess if the Berserkers are the females, maybe the males just wised up
    and quit laying the pipe to 'em. Man, that would be perfect... Locust go
    extinct due to the fugly, homicidal chicks they have to mate with.

Hey, one can hope.”
    I was arguing this with a friend last night after I showed him your theory as well. The reason why no infantile or juvenile Locust are seen is probably because Nexus was no such place to raise one, especially with a civil war going on. Now there isnt much evidence to back this up since we know next to nothing about their culture and society. IF there where Locust children in Nexus, the Lambent would have more than likely killed them off by now. They did so with human children, why not Locust children? Theres also the fact that very little of the Inner hollow (By that I mean places where the Locust actually live) was seen so its very well possible that these juvenile Locust are kept elsewhere.

"Imulsion exposure causes sterility. This is something that applies to all species, and is noted by Adam to have an effect on human populations. Since the Locust are themselves the children of Lambent humans and are already Lambent it would seem that there are no Locust children, another factor that disproves the idea of the Locust being an ancient race. In Aspho Fields Colonel Hoffman has heard that the Locust breed by rape, but when Baird enters the Nexus in Gears of War 2 there is no evidence of infant Locust."
    Not nessisaraly true. If they where the mutated decendants, its possible that the sterility may not have shown up in the later generations which in this case are the Locust. Examples of this can be seen in real life. Radiation causes sterility in the parents, yet sometimes offspring are still born (albeit with mutations or in extremely rare cases perfectly normal). This has been stated several times (Dunno if it was directly adressed) is that how did the Sires have children if Imulsion causes sterility? Another thing that was brought up is that it doesnt cause sterility in humans, just in mice. Its a possibility, but it would also mean that the Sires and subsequently their children would also be able to reproduce normally.

This next half regards the Kantus:

"Either way, there really aren't enough Kantus around to account for the size of Nexus."
    By this I assume you mean the Kantus that we've seen in the games and novels. The Kantus are part of a religeous caste and are seen as bishops and such where as Skorge would be the equivalent of a Pope. The reason no Kantus where seen prior to that is because of their religeous status. If they have such a signifigant role within the Locust society, then typically you dont send them to fight.

"Let’s begin with the Former. As can be seen, Lambency has caused the formation of large, calloused areas of toughened skin over the head, arms and torso. Also note the skeletal disfigurement of the arms, especially below the elbows. Finally, the presence of the sharpened claws at the end of each digit is visible.

The Sires come next. Created as an attempt to cure imulsion-infection we can expect to see evidence of mutation into a Former. Note the thin, skeletal nature of the left arm when compared to the bulkier, more Locust-like appearance of the right. The areas of altered skin seen on the Former are also witnessed here, observe the multiple spike-like protrusions that extend up the left arm. We can also see that the feet have changed shape and form and the heel has lifted, and the digits on the left hand are long and thin

Next we have the Kantus. Of note here are the large, bone-like protrusions present on the elbows and shoulders as well as the unique nature of the feet when compared to the other Locust. These larger, three-toed feet are similar to those seen on the Sires as are the similar long, skeletal fingers.

Next is the standard Locust drone. Their rough, patchy skin above the chest and shoulders can also be witnessed on the Sires. The major features are their increased muscle mass, the up-turned, pug-like nose, and the heavy, protruding bone structure present on their brow."
    Let me tell you about something called Genetic Avatism. Its a disorder in which previous features from an evolutionary ancestor appear in modern species. Assuming Gears plays by the rules and Dinosaurs existed on Sera, then that means mammals would be the direct decendants of reptiles. The Imulsion mutates its hosts, we've seen this in the games. Rustlung, an Imulsion related disease also causes a very early form of lambency which mutated humans into Sires, and consiquently mutated their children at a genetic level. Genetic Avatism is a DNA mutation. Therefor from this, its possible that the scaly, reptillian apperance of the Locust is caused by Genetic Avatism, and not because one is more Lambent than the other. A modern day example would the the Armadillo. It's a mammal yet it has reptillian features. Consider that.

EDIT: now this brings up another question. Do we consider the Locust as an entirely new species? Or are they still technically human?
    Last edited by GeneralGreasy; 06-09-2012 at 07:26 PM.

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Time Victim

This all holds up rather well. Lots to think about.
    LP,LP,-->,LK,HP = 天

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: olsaltee

Again nice post very well thought out. Would like to point at a thing or two.

Polyps - Many people see the polyps and automatically think lambent. If you actually remember Gears 2 though they showed up when inside the riftworm in a non lambent form. They are identical to these. This may also explain why lambent laviathons where carrying them as they are more a parasitic creature that lives within others that are large enough to hold them.

Also some lambent forms didnt mutate into a nearly new form. Remember on Vectes the lambent cow?, Lambent Dogs?, How about again in GOW2 when in Nexus you reached the lift escaping the lambent drones. They appeared to only shine white but nothing like what we see in GOW3. Also i still dont understand the ghost spirit thing that creeped down the cliff as no other lambent form did that anywhere in the series.

Now on the Rock Shrew. I dont think its a worm. Epic i believe is smart enough to know Rock Shrews are real in our world and there habitat and behavior was mearly modified to be tunnel dwellers not a completely different animal with same name. Think of it more as a deep tunnel Mole or rat when you think rock shrew. Just this one has a vestigial leg as a recent mutation.

New Edit, i also wanted to point out a another thing or two.

This goes into the credence to fertility and offspring. We seen thoughout Gears Corpsers. It wasnt until Gears 3 did they actually show a hive or nest for them and how they where coming about. So another thing to think about was that we may have just not been allowed to see the birthing area of Locust of any form. Less plausible then your articulated post but another food for thought.

Now on to the genetic creation of locust or what not from humans. My big question on this is simple. If you ahve a species that has the know how and ability to genetically create one being into another why with that knowledge are they going to a physicist for answers to the lambent issue. It would be more likely that there own knowledge far outpaced even the scientist of Sera in that regards. it just doesnt add up to be that smart but at the same time that dumb. Even Adam needed biologist to aid him.
    Last edited by olsaltee; 06-19-2012 at 08:37 AM.
    If you can stand your alive, if your alive its a good day.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by BadMoonRising View Post
    If this thread tells me anything it's that the Locust origins is not well thought out at all. I should NOT have to read the books to know (more like make a theory) about were they came from. If you can't explain it in three games you failed. The books should be there to tell side-stories and expand lore, not (vaguely) answer the series's biggest question.
    This X 1,000,000,000 for real!

MSgt. Shooter Person

Also I would like to say, it wouldnt be baby locust in nexus nor berserkers(few in numbers?) Because they was moved to another location... why would they be there when the queen was trying to do the same thing delta was. Flood the hollows. They just did it a little ahead of schedule.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Minotauro Loco

Thanks man, really really appreciate it I think you shot the bullet in the right place... imo the pieces formed the puzzle I was looking for.
    Nomen est Omen

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Locust_Forever View Post
    Also I would like to say, it wouldnt be baby locust in nexus nor berserkers(few in numbers?) Because they was moved to another location... why would they be there when the queen was trying to do the same thing delta was. Flood the hollows. They just did it a little ahead of schedule.

Are you saying that, after the Lightmass Offensive, the Locust Horde relocated its Berserkers and young Locust to another location outside of Nexus to protect them from the Horde's intended plans to flood the Hollow, and potentially boost the Locust population after the bombing's heavy casualties?

Seems reasonable, if we're assuming that the Berserkers are responsible for breeding Locust. The general consensus ITT is that they are not and Joveus' conclusions are well-backed up, so I'm not sure how I agree with that. The most likely explanation is that Epic simply didn't want Berserkers in Gears of War 2, so they weren't featured in the story after Aspho Fields.
    Last edited by Coleyman; 06-19-2012 at 03:51 PM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

After 3 games, 5 books and a ton of comics I'm really thinking Locust children are absent deliberately. I mean, there's a collectible in Gears of War 2 where Baird says "We haven't seen any Locust children, does that mean they aren't having kids?" instead of "We haven't seen any Locust children, maybe they moved them all?".

I really do understand where people are coming from when they say maybe the Locust children are off-screen but still present throughout the series, but then why does Baird draw attention to it in the first place? I dunno, we've had baby corpsers, kryll nesting sites and biogenetic experimentation but still no sign or mention of Locust kids. I can't help but feel that if the Locust bred, we'd have been thrown a bone, even a tiny one.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

The only thing i can think of to legitamize there not being any young locust in screen is the fact that Epic themselves would recieve alot i mean alot of bad talk if they did put them in. Think about it everything in the game be it chickens or another life form we can interact with them and shoot at them. Us having the ability to see and shoot younglings would be a very bad image for Epic that would receive alot of complaints from many groups and people. The only exception to this is in stranded camps which they purposefully remove your ability to raise a weapon. But they cannot do this type of scene involving a locust location as it would automatically involve fighting.

Now i said it under the Kantis origins thread but i believe that Kantus and Berzerkers are the only original Locust. The drone may very well be from a genetic creation.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Why would you keep children in a hostile place like Nexus with the Lambent running amok? If there where any, like I said, the Lambent have probably killed them off already. Simply because they havent been seen in Nexus doesnt mean there arnt any at all.

I am also one of those who beleive that the Kantus where the original Locust, and the Drones where a later addition.
    COG: Classic Marcus

Locust: Savage Grenadier/Savage Grenadier Elite

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by olsaltee View Post
    The only thing i can think of to legitamize there not being any young locust in screen is the fact that Epic themselves would recieve alot i mean alot of bad talk if they did put them in. Think about it everything in the game be it chickens or another life form we can interact with them and shoot at them. Us having the ability to see and shoot younglings would be a very bad image for Epic that would receive alot of complaints from many groups and people. The only exception to this is in stranded camps which they purposefully remove your ability to raise a weapon. But they cannot do this type of scene involving a locust location as it would automatically involve fighting.

Now i said it under the Kantis origins thread but i believe that Kantus and Berzerkers are the only original Locust. The drone may very well be from a genetic creation.
    You do see a human child die in RAAM's Shadow though, so I don't think Epic are shying away from killing kids (not real kids... videogame kids...)

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralGreasy View Post
    Why would you keep children in a hostile place like Nexus with the Lambent running amok? If there where any, like I said, the Lambent have probably killed them off already. Simply because they havent been seen in Nexus doesnt mean there arnt any at all.

I am also one of those who beleive that the Kantus where the original Locust, and the Drones where a later addition.
    I get what you're saying, I do, but Nexus is the centre of the Locust civilisation, the place where the Queen lived, where else would be so protected? Although, I guess it could be like World War 2 where the British government evacuated loads of children to the countryside so they were protected from the bombing raids that hit the major cities.

I want to be really clear - I really, really understand where you're coming from, I'm not disagreeing for disagreements sake. From a purely strategic in-universe point of view your idea makes perfect sense, but there are a few little bits that hint that the Locust don't breed, and the lack of Locust children and lack of anything addressing the lack of Locust children seems too big an aspect to be an oversight on Epic's part.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

I believe there is a fine line between seeing a child die and the ability to kill the child. Nearly everything involved with the locust home typically involved fighting. I dont think they could have had them in the game unless it was a cutscene of the sort.

My line of thought is more that if they where changing humans to locust by any means should we have not seen more bezerkers? I mean can you honestly expect me to believe that only a small portion of woman used in the experiment mutated to berzerkers and the rest magically changed to drones. I dont buy it. There is a disconnect in there somewhere and there has to be even a small note we have missed that may clarify the seperation bewtween locust drone, kantus, berzerker.

Banned
    Gamer IDs

This is what I was thinking. Locust children are a possibility (disregarding what's already proven) and if they do exist it wouldn't be out of the question for them to live in some sort of breeding grounds or be away from Nexus during its Lambent inavsion and Operation Hollowstorm.

This is a very vague statement. Nobody is disputing that the Drones or Kantus are Locust. Are you suggesting that the Kantus are indigenous Hollow creatures, and the Locust were the result of Sire experimentation? Or are you suggesting that the Locust are a natural species which gradually began to change habitat to the Hollow and eventually allied with the Kantus? What you've said is obviously correct to some extent, but your statement does not explain anything about your thoughts about the Drones' origins. Care to elaborate?

Quote Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
    You do see a human child die in RAAM's Shadow though, so I don't think Epic are shying away from killing kids (not real kids... videogame kids...)
    Hardly. Notice how Epic were extremely careful in presenting it by hiding the child in an APC that gets damaged by a Corpser. You never actually see the child die, and that's important. Besides, isn't it illegal to have child harm/deaths in videogames? I distinctly remember that in games like Fallout, children cannot be harmed. Heck, Fallout 2 went one step further and actually removed all children from the game in one version to prevent this, which even damaged some questlines.

My point is, you don't see a child die. A child is killed yes, but it's hidden behind an APC that is quickly forgotten. Children are a touchy subject for stuff like this, which is why the child is not seen when it's killed, as opposed to being mutilated by some random Grenadier on-screen.
    Last edited by Coleyman; 06-26-2012 at 01:54 PM.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

^ Oh no, I accept that the Drones are the result of experementation as per The Slab. I just think that the Kantus where the original Locust (by original I mean indigenous to The Hollow) and the Drones where added later on when the subjects where moved to Mount Kadar. I beleive there are others who share this opinion.

For the record, you COULD kill children in Fallout 1 except that there would be heavy reprecussions. Bounty Hunters would periodically attack you and they'd either match your level or be a couple levels above you, They'd also be decked out with some of the games more powerful weapons and armor (Excluding the T-51b Power Armor, as omly the Brotherhood of Steel use them). Point is dont kill Children, you'll regret it.
    COG: Classic Marcus

Locust: Savage Grenadier/Savage Grenadier Elite

Banned
    Gamer IDs

^ Oh no, I accept that the Drones are the result of experementation as per The Slab. I just think that the Kantus where the original Locust (by original I mean indigenous to The Hollow) and the Drones where added later on when the subjects where moved to Mount Kadar. I beleive there are others who share this opinion.

For the record, you COULD kill children in Fallout 1 except that there would be heavy reprecussions. Bounty Hunters would periodically attack you and they'd either match your level or be a couple levels above you, They'd also be decked out with some of the games more powerful weapons and armor (Excluding the T-51b Power Armor, as omly the Brotherhood of Steel use them). Point is dont kill Children, you'll regret it.
    I know, I've played all of the Fallouts. But Fallout 2 actually removed children from the game in some versions that were to sell in regions where the presentation of child harm was not allowed. I'm just saying that the presentation of children in violent video games is a touchy subject in a lot of regions, which is why the child in RAAM's Shadow is hidden when it is killed. That death is probably about as far as Epic are willing to go without having to censor the game in specific regions.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Rift worm was obviously a very old creature that created the hollow. It has 3 hearts. Locust when running on multiplayer etc, have more heartbeats than a human. Maybe a hint that they are related and thus an old cilvilisation descendent from those kind of worms etc.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by Towel View Post
    Rift worm was obviously a very old creature that created the hollow. It has 3 hearts. Locust when running on multiplayer etc, have more heartbeats than a human. Maybe a hint that they are related and thus an old cilvilisation descendent from those kind of worms etc.
    Most of what you said there is spot on. Have you ever seen this? The text is pretty small but it says;

"Riftworms are enormous, worm-like beasts who are approximately half a mile wide and 8-10 miles long. Thick skinned and semi-intelligent, they burrow through the underground of Sera creating caverns and tunnels in their wake. Riftworms burrow, consume all in their way, and leave behind rich, manure enriched waste that replenishes the rocky soil. As all consuming destroyers and then creators, they are responsible for the majority of the Hollow and thus are worshipped as godlike status by the Locust. The Locust have incorporated the image of the Riftworms into their architecture, much like the Mayans worshipped the snake and incorporated it into their architecture the Locust worship the worm as a life giver.

It is not known how the Locust direct or guide the Riftworms toward their targets. Some believe that pheromones are used: others maintain that explosives are detonated to 'encourage' the worm in another direction."

My reading of this implies that the Locust were already around and found the Riftworm after they were already established as a society, incorporating the Riftworm into their architecture and culture at a later date. And while this says it is unknown how the Locust control the Riftworm, we saw in Gears 2 that Skorge's chants are the method used. My Kantus thread needs a bit of a rewrite, but it explores this a little bit. I believe imulsion, as always, is the answer here.

There are two types of lambency - fast and slow; fast is what we see in Gears 3 with the Drudges, Gunkers and all that; slow is everything else, Wretches, Brumaks, etc. So lambent evolution tends to go -

Original specimen (eg monkey) + slow lambency (imulsion over the last hundred years) = Wretch + fast lambency (imulsion in the last few years) = Lambent Wretch.

The Riftworm, like the other Hollow creatures, is something formed by slow lambency. Rockworm + imulsion exposure while it is in its near dormant state over a long period of time = Riftworm. The idea then, is that the Riftworm, like everything else in the Hollow, is already Lambent. By 'Lambent' I don't mean glowing and exploding, but rather that the creature possesses cell-based imulsion contamination on a genetic level. I argue that the Kantus have the ability to stimulate these imulsion contaminated cells within other creatures. It helps to understand their healing abilities as well as how they communicate with the Riftworm.

Anyway, the Locust incorparated the Riftworm into their culture, their culture did not build up around the Riftworm. The Kantus and the Locust religion did not exist first, it developed only after the Locust found the Riftworm under Timgad.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by Joveus View Post
    Most of what you said there is spot on. Have you ever seen this? The text is pretty small but it says;

"Riftworms are enormous, worm-like beasts who are approximately half a mile wide and 8-10 miles long. Thick skinned and semi-intelligent, they burrow through the underground of Sera creating caverns and tunnels in their wake. Riftworms burrow, consume all in their way, and leave behind rich, manure enriched waste that replenishes the rocky soil. As all consuming destroyers and then creators, they are responsible for the majority of the Hollow and thus are worshipped as godlike status by the Locust. The Locust have incorporated the image of the Riftworms into their architecture, much like the Mayans worshipped the snake and incorporated it into their architecture the Locust worship the worm as a life giver.

It is not known how the Locust direct or guide the Riftworms toward their targets. Some believe that pheromones are used: others maintain that explosives are detonated to 'encourage' the worm in another direction."

My reading of this implies that the Locust were already around and found the Riftworm after they were already established as a society, incorporating the Riftworm into their architecture and culture at a later date. And while this says it is unknown how the Locust control the Riftworm, we saw in Gears 2 that Skorge's chants are the method used. My Kantus thread needs a bit of a rewrite, but it explores this a little bit. I believe imulsion, as always, is the answer here.

There are two types of lambency - fast and slow; fast is what we see in Gears 3 with the Drudges, Gunkers and all that; slow is everything else, Wretches, Brumaks, etc. So lambent evolution tends to go -

Original specimen (eg monkey) + slow lambency (imulsion over the last hundred years) = Wretch + fast lambency (imulsion in the last few years) = Lambent Wretch.

The Riftworm, like the other Hollow creatures, is something formed by slow lambency. Rockworm + imulsion exposure while it is in its near dormant state over a long period of time = Riftworm. The idea then, is that the Riftworm, like everything else in the Hollow, is already Lambent. By 'Lambent' I don't mean glowing and exploding, but rather that the creature possesses cell-based imulsion contamination on a genetic level. I argue that the Kantus have the ability to stimulate these imulsion contaminated cells within other creatures. It helps to understand their healing abilities as well as how they communicate with the Riftworm.

Anyway, the Locust incorparated the Riftworm into their culture, their culture did not build up around the Riftworm. The Kantus and the Locust religion did not exist first, it developed only after the Locust found the Riftworm under Timgad.
    Really beginning to hate you haha :P

Boomshot
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: The Krylling

That, to me, explains how she talks to RAAM, while at the same time she requires a physical speaker system in Nexus to spread her rants when he's not around.
    I wonder what that black plate on his head is all about? Could it be a birth mark? Or do you think it's an implant so she can communicate with him like in RAAM's Shadow? It looks surgically implanted to me though. Maybe this how he can control Kryll and speak to the Queen. I always thought it was some kind of device in his head that control a certain sound/wave frequency to direct the Kryll. After playing RAAM's Shadow, it seemed to me like it could be possibly both.

1. A certain frequency (almost a hum) to have the Kryll on standby as a shield and other frequency strengths to project where to attack.
    2. A micro speaker system implant for communication.

The Kryll remind me of Phirrana's and bats.

Just a thought

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Dead Cell Raam View Post
    I wonder what that black plate on his head is all about? Could it be a birth mark? Or do you think it's an implant so she can communicate with him like in RAAM's Shadow? It looks surgically implanted to me though. Maybe this how he can control Kryll and speak to the Queen. I always thought it was some kind of device in his head that control a certain sound/wave frequency to direct the Kryll. After playing RAAM's Shadow, it seemed to me like it could be possibly both.

1. A certain frequency (almost a hum) to have the Kryll on standby as a shield and other frequency strengths to project where to attack.

Just a thought
    I had always assumed that it was a material surgically sewn into the back of his head to cover a wound, much like how the Savage Grenadier Elite has a cloth stitched into the side of his face. My guess was that he was wounded in the back of his head early in his life as a Drone, and his wound was stitched over using some black cloth which has, over time, grown into his head as the wound healed around it.

Off-topic observation: The appearance and habits of the Savage Locust fascinates me. The Savage Drone have wooden stakes impaled into the sides of their arms, whilst the Savage Grenadier Elite has a cloth stitched into his face and huge metal bolts implanted onto his head. What is this? Is it some sort of cultural phenomenon? Because they are isolated, they have begun practicing ritualised self-harm in such forms?
    Last edited by Coleyman; 07-14-2012 at 10:59 AM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by Dead Cell Raam View Post

Just a thought
    Anybody seen the last Dirty Little Secrets issue? No Hiding Place? In it, a Beast Rider communicates with Myrrah as it does recon on the Maelstrom around Azura. Throughout the panels neither the Beast Rider nor Myrrah have any external apparatus attached for communicative purposes, instead they both just talk normally and they manage to hear each other just fine. I don't know how she does this, but it's clear now that Myrrah can talk to all the Locust mentally, not just RAAM, so I don't think his headpiece is a transmitter. It'll be somethinng to do with the Kryll if, indeed, it does anything at all. My money is on it being a design choice and nothing more. Interestingly enough, the Beast Rider talked back to Myrrah in what seemed to be fluent Tyran. Whether the Locust talk like the cast of "Frasier" when there are no COG around is something up for debate...

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Anybody seen the last Dirty Little Secrets issue? No Hiding Place? In it, a Beast Rider communicates with Myrrah as it does recon on the Maelstrom around Azura. Throughout the panels neither the Beast Rider nor Myrrah have any external apparatus attached for communicative purposes, instead they both just talk normally and they manage to hear each other just fine. I don't know how she does this, but it's clear now that Myrrah can talk to all the Locust mentally, not just RAAM, so I don't think his headpiece is a transmitter. It'll be somethinng to do with the Kryll if, indeed, it does anything at all. My money is on it being a design choice and nothing more. Interestingly enough, the Beast Rider talked back to Myrrah in what seemed to be fluent Tyran. Whether the Locust talk like the cast of "Frasier" when there are no COG around is something up for debate...
    I'd suspect that the Tyran is just convention. It wouldn't make sense to the audience if the Locust spoke Klingon so we couldn't understand them. It would detract from the narrative if the Locust didn't speak English to one-another.

But what's more interesting is the fact that Bloodmounts can communicate with the Queen. RAAM; totally understandable. Drones; entirely possible and probably fact. But Bloodmounts? I'd always assumed that they came under the beasts of war - the native creatures tamed by the Drones to use as support. It surprises me that Bloodmounts actually possess enough intelligence to communicate, and fluently! I'd just assumed they were of much lower intelligence than that.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheVacantThrone

This is the best thing i've read in so long.

And as far as i'm concerned, and whenever anyone asks, this is the origin of the Locust. Well done mate!
    Gears of War: 29/57 - 560G
    Gears of War 2: 78/79 - 1700G - Reached Level 100/100
    Gears of War 3: 72/82 - 1620G - Current Level 396 /400
    FUNK VOLUME 2012
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfJj88Oq3nA < Hip Hop fans: ENJOY!

Quote Originally Posted by Solid_Gear View Post
    From what Joveus hints to, the locust process human individuals into drones, kantus or berserkers. If this is true, at the time in question, their numbers would be very small and would have limited opportunities to abduct people. Here we have Elain Fenix, a very unremarkable individual who has come right up to their gates, they wouldn't have to worry about abudcting her without being noticed or even be given a challenge to overpower her, why wouldn't they process her?

Also, Queen Myrrah's aims are to see the human race extinct. Which means, the locust would also become extinct eventually because if they are processed humans they more than likely suffer from old age. So the Locust must be able to reproduce or their goals and intentions of being the sole race on Sera are very flawed as they would die out.

An enemy that will force Humanity to take their last, inevitable steps, toward extinction."
    Ś Queen Myrrah on E-Day

And that is the game ladies and gents.
    I have to agree with Solid_Gear's point here. If the whole processing humans into Locust grubs is true, then what good would wiping out all of humanity serve? The Locusts NEEDS the humans in order to be processed, assuming Joveus's theory is true, which I do believe. I'm just confused why Myrrah would want to wipe out every single human on Sera when it would inevitably just doom the Locust due to the inability of reproducing by processing.

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: II TH4 K1NG II

Thanks for the info. Its awesome knowing this

Veteran

This is an absolutely outstanding thread and I can't believe that I only just got round to reading it.

But I have to admit...
    a tiny part of me...
    kind of thinks...

Epic don't even have all the answers to this stuff
    Got GUNS do you wanna, take aim at each other?
    Got KNIVES have you seen 'em, in your backs where we keep 'em!
    Milky Idea's

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hgamer01

Quote Originally Posted by Milky Pirate View Post
    This is an absolutely outstanding thread and I can't believe that I only just got round to reading it.

But I have to admit...
    a tiny part of me...
    kind of thinks...

Epic don't even have all the answers to this stuff
    They knew they would make a series, but you are right. The only things they KNEW would happen in the series were:

*Adam being alive
    *Queen Myrrah and her being Human
    *Locust = Humans
    *Maria would die
    *Dom would die because of Maria

Banned
    Aboard the space colony ARK thinking about Maria
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: x RigzZy x

wow (insert proud slow clap here) you have done it you have answered everything you are the gears master!

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Steel Spartan 7

Your thread is very convincing (though slightly disheartening).

I just don't understand why and how the Locust could build an entire culture underground in only the course of 100 years. If they began as experimental bodies, I reckon their numbers would range in the low thousands. How were they able to cut such great sculptures out of the rocks in only 100 years? The Highway, Nexus, and all of the winding tunnels in the Hollow just seem like too much to build in 100 years. How could they have been spending so much time and resources on mutating more humans WHILE building those great structures in such little time.

If they were originally humans, why would they develop their own written languages and religions? How could they have tamed the beasts so quickly? If the Kantus actively used Imulsion to control the large beasts, how come we never saw any Lambent Kanti? If the Locust truly had Imulsion ingrained in their cells and they used it to their advantage, why did they fight back against the Lambent in a Civil War?

Why would Myrrah wage an all-out war on the humans? If they became hostile to humans, the Locust were doomed as they would not be able to replenish their numbers. Even if the Locust took over the entire surface and fought back the Lambent, there would not be enough humans to mutate. Most humans are killed in battle or executed on sight by the Locust. The Locust did not take prisoners until later into the war. (Gears 2)
    Veteran Gear and Locust Enthusiast
    Years of bloodshed under the sun.
    Wounds to heal and mend.
    Gears fight and die as one.
    You already know how it will end.

MSgt. Shooter Person

This theory still does not make much sense when discussing how long those locust building existed. Even during the early years of the locust race, the kids of the lambent humans, would still have to grow up and the find materials before they can even start creating those buildings, and even then, they are going to need a lot more locust to create these buildings, which of course will take even more time because they have to capture humans for that.

Also it doesn't really make any sense for the Locust to want to wipe out Mankind if they need humans for survival.

I prefer the belief that the Locust are a native species to Sera (that has been around for a long time), not mutated humans, by them just being mutated humans, it takes some of the uniqueness away from their race.
    Last edited by DoomGuy91; 07-30-2012 at 10:43 PM.

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: II TH4 K1NG II

Great post. Good info
    Respects for the Vets!

Thanks to DarkAp89, III LYCAN III, NFI, and x671xCRUZaderx
    for the Codes!

MSgt. Shooter Person

It was just for the comic book. Why would Myrrah have microphones set all around Nexus if she could just talk inside their heads? Maybe they had blue tooth headsets in the comic :P

Ever seen Bruce Almighty? Would be very similar to that with 100s of Locust trying to talk to her at once.

Just look at the comic books, they are so shoddy it hurts my eyes, look at the last page, bits of Myrrah's leg overlay the table infront of her.

Prisoner 849
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Taffenaff

Gears 2's end: everything gone. Did they build anything in Gears 3? They had 18 months
    But hey, at least the main menu is badass

You can still play Gears 1 y'know.

Banned
    Gamer IDs

It was just for the comic book. Why would Myrrah have microphones set all around Nexus if she could just talk inside their heads? Maybe they had blue tooth headsets in the comic :P

Ever seen Bruce Almighty? Would be very similar to that with 100s of Locust trying to talk to her at once.
    Let's assume, for the sake of the argument, that Myrrah personally (i.e. just her, unassisted) communicates to other Locust with her mind.

It's entirely possible that she can only communicate with one Locust like this. I'd imagine it'd take a lot of mental power to communicate with the entire Horde, yet Myrrah shows no problems communicating with individual Locust (RAAM, the recon Bloodmount).

Quote Originally Posted by taffenaff View Post
    Gears 2's end: everything gone. Did they build anything in Gears 3? They had 18 months
    They fortified the Centennial Bridge in Hanover and reconditioned the Deadlands.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Just look at the comic books, they are so shoddy it hurts my eyes, look at the last page, bits of Myrrah's leg overlay the table infront of her.
    I don't know if I've ever put this here before, but here's a edited conversation including a quote from Jim Brown - the same Epic developer that I've quoted before;

Quote Originally Posted by Kaylila View Post
    So you know the Locust part of the Campaign DLC where you are RAAM and Myrrah is giving you directions. So I was playing through that part again today and I realized something. How is she talking to us? Telepathic communication? Cause I know Raam isn't walking around with a radio...

I take a lot of things for granted, but this I just found a little off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
    It was intended to be a "hive mind" communication of sorts. Hence the effect along the edges of the screen when she's talking.
    Combine this with the quote regarding Myrrah from Dave "Nashtyboy" Nash;

Quote Originally Posted by Nashtyboy
    She's a descendant of the scientists who first studied imulsion-infected miners at the outpost in G2.
    So Myrrah's communication with the Locust does occur, not just in the comic. The thing is, if the Locust hive-mind communicates by piggy-backing onto the hive-mind properties of Imulsion itself, how does Myrrah use it? She isn't Lambent in any capacity, neither Sire, Locust or Former. Of course, that assumes that the Imulsion is the means of communication. It might be something else entirely, unrelated to Imulsion.

Quote Originally Posted by Coleyman View Post
    They fortified the Centennial Bridge in Hanover and reconditioned the Deadlands.
    Just look at the Deadlands if you want to see what the Locust are capable of. 18 months, far less numbers and little cohesion, and they still did that. Even now people say that the Locust can't be from New Hope because Nexus couldn't have been built so fast. But guys, what you seem to be missing or ignoring is simple - Epic themselves have since confirmed that this is what happened, their comments are littered throughout this thread. Denying it at this point is literally telling the creators of the story that they are wrong. I might actually gather all the Epic developer comments together on the first page for easy access.

Recently Epic announced a very simple credo = Fun -> Canon. Even as the guy who followed all the little pieces in the story so intently as to start this thread, I respect this mentality. Mk II Lancers and Hammerbursts in use in Gears of War: Judgment? Sure, I'll get behind that so long as the game itself is good. I don't know how Myrrah communicates mentally with the Locust, but the Epic devs said its hive-mind communication. I don't know how the Locust built Nexus to be as large as it is in the time they had, but the Epic devs said that's what happened. They created the world, they know it much better than I do, and I'll accept what they give me as an answer even if it doesn't quite make sense.

Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Slaughterrific

That was an EPIC analysis. I applaud your research and conclusions. This should be shared.
    6 Year Gears player
    I actually play ranked solo sometimes

I have the first three seriously achievements... worth it.
    I dislike the concept of quick match. People leave after 1 game anyway.
    Do you want to improve your game? Maybe watch a commentary of some Gears Ranked?
    www.youtube.com/MrSlaughterrific

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: RVB Lara Croft

Sires are early forms of Locust, correct?
    Wow
    Such Forums
    Very Gears
    Many Epics

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast