Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Skaarj
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Bowling Green, Ohio
    Posts
    4
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: xJx Sniper2

    Default Help with Mesh exploding after applying animation to my character

    Hey, I'm new to using UDK and could use some help....

    I exported the mesh and animation using FBX Export and this is what happens when I apply the animation to the mesh.

    Before:



    and this is after....



    any thoughts???

    I'm at an standstill on a project until I figure this out

  2. #2
    Prisoner 849
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Loch Ness Scotland
    Posts
    981

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by frasher00 View Post
    Hey, I'm new to using UDK and could use some help....

    I exported the mesh and animation using FBX Export and this is what happens when I apply the animation to the mesh.

    Before:



    and this is after....



    any thoughts???

    I'm at an standstill on a project until I figure this out
    Did you export the character first...Then go back to max/maya and apply the animation then export that?
    Or did you create the animation on the character and only export it once form max/maya?

    Thirdly, have you tried un-checking anim rotation only ?
    Look at this image,

    Anim Rotation only.jpg

  3. #3
    Skaarj
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Bowling Green, Ohio
    Posts
    4
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: xJx Sniper2

    Default

    Thank you for responding to my post

    What I did was export the mesh AND the animation at the same time.... is that a bad thing?

    the "Anim Rotation Only" check box was check and I un-checked it and it helped a little. the mesh is still exploded



    Should I normally export the mesh and THEN the mesh with the animation?

    Also, my team wanted me to ask if there is a specific naming convention the we need to follow for UDK to properly work for the animations regarding the bones for the character?

    Quite frankly I feel like there are not enough tutorials for importing animation into UDK properly ...

  4. #4
    Prisoner 849
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Loch Ness Scotland
    Posts
    981

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by frasher00 View Post
    Thank you for responding to my post

    What I did was export the mesh AND the animation at the same time.... is that a bad thing?

    the "Anim Rotation Only" check box was check and I un-checked it and it helped a little. the mesh is still exploded



    Should I normally export the mesh and THEN the mesh with the animation?

    Also, my team wanted me to ask if there is a specific naming convention the we need to follow for UDK to properly work for the animations regarding the bones for the character?

    Quite frankly I feel like there are not enough tutorials for importing animation into UDK properly ...

    It shouldn't really make any difference with the anims, either with the mesh or after! As long as you don't make any alterations to the mesh after the anims have been imported..
    ie; Change skeletal names or controls and then re-import the character without a new animset!

    As for naming, no, I never use any naming conventions....My characters and anims are named simply like, character_01 and the anims could just be named character_01 anims..

    Its difficult to diagnose without seeing the scene file....Are you using Max or Maya and fbx or actorX ?

  5. #5
    Skaarj
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Bowling Green, Ohio
    Posts
    4
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: xJx Sniper2

    Default

    I'm using Maya 2012 and FBX because Actor X is not updated for Maya 2012 after reading "The FBX Content Pipeline has replaced the ActorX plugins and import pipeline." on UDN i dnt think that Actor X will ever be updated for Maya now.

    I did not alter the mesh in any way after exporting both the mesh and anims out using FBX

    I opened the FBX file in Maya and it plays just fine.....

    I wish I could upload the scene file to here or email it to you because I'm to the point where I need to seek out someone who's been using UDK for animation and is experience with this.

  6. #6
    Prisoner 849
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Loch Ness Scotland
    Posts
    981

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by frasher00 View Post
    I'm using Maya 2012 and FBX because Actor X is not updated for Maya 2012 after reading "The FBX Content Pipeline has replaced the ActorX plugins and import pipeline." on UDN i dnt think that Actor X will ever be updated for Maya now.

    I did not alter the mesh in any way after exporting both the mesh and anims out using FBX

    I opened the FBX file in Maya and it plays just fine.....

    I wish I could upload the scene file to here or email it to you because I'm to the point where I need to seek out someone who's been using UDK for animation and is experience with this.
    The problem FBX is that it doesn't give you any margin for error like ActorX used to...One mistake and the whole scene is ruined..
    Try and upload it to GameFront or similar and I'll take a look and see what's happening

  7. #7
    Skaarj
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Bowling Green, Ohio
    Posts
    4
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: xJx Sniper2

    Default

    Try and upload it to GameFront or similar and I'll take a look and see what's happening
    Lex, I sent you a msg with the link to the rig

  8. #8
    Prisoner 849
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Loch Ness Scotland
    Posts
    981

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by frasher00 View Post
    Lex, I sent you a msg with the link to the rig
    I'm downloading it now and I replied to your message

  9. #9
    MSgt. Shooter Person
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    136
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: darthwilson

    Default

    Looks like a scaling issue to me.. reset xForms? make sure your bones aren't scaled

  10. #10
    MSgt. Shooter Person
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ U.S.A.
    Posts
    149

    Default

    im experiencing the same issue

  11. #11

    Default

    you might want to check that the root of your skeleton and your mesh's transformations have been frozen before export. (after setting the proper Z up orientation)

  12. #12
    MSgt. Shooter Person
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ U.S.A.
    Posts
    149

    Default

    Ok so I renamed the main root of my skeleton to "bRoot"

    should I add I prefix to all the bones for example

    bRoot
    - hip
    - etc....

    too

    bRoot
    -bRHip
    -bRAbdoman
    -etc..?

    Also when I click Reset xForm my character ends up rotated. Ending up looking up as if she is laying down looking at the sky.

    Character looks fantastic on initial import but when playing animation she still ends up looking deformed

  13. #13
    Redeemer
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Jacinto
    Posts
    1,486
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Keltar3007

    Default

    IS the root join's translation set at 0,0,0 ?

  14. #14
    MSgt. Shooter Person
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ U.S.A.
    Posts
    149

    Default

    yes she is set to 0,0,0

    Im trying not to pull out my hair lol.

    FBX acts good when importing a non animated skeletal mesh. With textures/materials looking good.
    FBX animations causes my character to deform severely.

    Actor X on the other hand is able to import my character via PSK
    Actor X is able to play my animations smoothly via PSA =)
    almost made me cry when I got to see my character with custom rig/mesh come to life =)

    I even tried playing the PSA on my FBX skeletal mesh and it turned out severely deformed as well

  15. #15
    MSgt. Shooter Person
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Washington DC Metro
    Posts
    160
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: LudicrouSpeed

    Default

    When you export the character is it in the same base pose of the UT characters during skinning (if you're using the UT rig)?

  16. #16
    MSgt. Shooter Person
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ U.S.A.
    Posts
    149

    Default

    Im not using UDK or UT3 Rigs

    Its my own rig and my own static mesh.

    Im giving up on fbx and using the old stable method Actor X

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thejaguarmma View Post
    Ok so I renamed the main root of my skeleton to "bRoot"
    No idea if it makes any difference, but I thought it's supposed to be "b_root" ? . I've only done a few import tests so far (new to UDK really) and I found that sometimes when not saving to a fresh FBX file, my hierarchy was wrong and bones appeared not under b_root, but actually b_root didn't show up at all. Then I imported it from a fresh file and it was all good. Also it seemed that sometimes when you have animation on it, the hierarchy was imported differently for whatever reason. I've tried so many things I'm not sure I remember it all correctly right now even, sorry. When I did use a Shadow Rig, it worked better though I think. (I'm far from being experienced in animation and I find it easy to get a messed up mesh even inside XSI when some parenting or constraining goes wrong, so I always expect user error on my end first. The lack of really clear simple documentation about how a mesh and rig should be set up and what can pose problems isn't making it any easier really.)

  18. #18
    MSgt. Shooter Person
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Brisbane, Oz
    Posts
    173

    Default

    I'm not sure about the problem but Ive had some character meshes deform when trying to FBX export a specific animation from a file containing multiple animations.
    I was able to work around this by exporting the whole timeline with all the anims, then trim to make seperate anims ( walk run etc ) in the anim set editor.
    This is exporting the mesh seperately and importing the animations into the anim set editor.


 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Copyright ©2009-2011 Epic Games, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Digital Point modules: Sphinx-based search vBulletin skin by CompletevB.com.