MSgt. Shooter Person

Exclamation Character from 3DS Max to UDK

I am not trying to be too complicated I just want to replace the player pawn with the UDK_Male_Skeleton model.

So I got the UDK_Male_Skeleton.max file from the Epic site and imported it into Max.

Now what do I export it as and what do I export out? i.e. FBX, with or without animations (I wanna use the male anime set in UDK), etc?

Then how do I import it into UDK and what code do I need to write in my custom pawn class to make the robot be replaced with the generic skeleton skinned mesh?

Prisoner 849

Quote Originally Posted by Crash_Override View Post
    I am not trying to be too complicated I just want to replace the player pawn with the UDK_Male_Skeleton model.

So I got the UDK_Male_Skeleton.max file from the Epic site and imported it into Max.

Now what do I export it as and what do I export out? i.e. FBX, with or without animations (I wanna use the male anime set in UDK), etc?

Then how do I import it into UDK and what code do I need to write in my custom pawn class to make the robot be replaced with the generic skeleton skinned mesh?
    FBX and the UDK will recognise it straight away as having the right skeleton..
    Then you'll need to change the code to reference it..Watch this video of mine, How to change the default character

MSgt. Shooter Person

You don't need to export animations with your FBX file, but if you do, you can simply delete any animsets that were created during import. If you're looking for more information on custom characters, these two sources were extremely helpful for me:

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/UDKCustomCharacters.html - good overview
    http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/Chara...icalGuide.html - good info, including the scripting side of things

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: darthwilson

There's tons of information on this. Because your using the epic rig all the bones are identical hence why the animations work. You can if you wish and I've done it before is add more animations if you wish... Then copy the animset and append your new animations in.. Or you could make a new animset and through script reference a second animset.

As well as Exporting through FBX you could use actorX which is my personal favourite although not supported in newer versions of autodesk software.

Hope that helps