View Poll Results: Do custom weapon skins encourage you to play weekend events?

Voters
363. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

249 68.60%
  • No

114 31.40%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Veteran

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: WaldoRtk7

Question Community Poll: Custom Event Skins

Hey everyone, Epic Games’ Senior Gameplay Programmer Pete Knepley would like us to answer the following question about custom weapon skins:

Do custom weapon skins encourage you to play weekend events?

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by WaldoRtk7; 02-21-2012 at 01:38 PM.
    The Sons of Sera:
    The Ruins of D'lanor
    [ My Fan Fic ]

"People Shouldn't Be Afraid Of Their Governments,
    Governments Should Fear Their People!"

Redeemer

eh, maybe for a little bit longer :s. wont make me stay on the playlist all day thou
    Thanks Flak/Losthrusday for the Adam Fenix <3 // thnx Jill for being so sweet and the flame skin
    TY Voodoo_nachoman for the flammerburst
    TY lycan for the SK I knew you would be here some day

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: In Flamez

They might. Although, I feel a bit differently on Custom Weapon Skins for events. I feel that if you played during an event that had a weapon skin, you should be able to keep the skin. I'm not sure if anyone else feels the same way though...
    A colossal Thank You, to God of Lemmings for the Infected Omen skin set!

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Tyme V1

What? The skins aren't even linked to the events, in the case of weapon skins. I use the event ones when they show up, but I still don't play the events.

Also, on the note of events;

Everyone knows SHOTTY-SNIPES, is the only acceptable sniper/other gun mode. No more Boomshot-snipes, it's just bloody stupid.
    Professor Cannabis, PHD.

They see me rollin', they be biodegradin'.

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: ProtoKane

The events themselves decide whether or not I want to play them, not temporary skins. Not that I have a problem with the temporary skins, I just never associate them with my curiosity towards the corresponding events.
    Many thanks to Falcon2223 for the Commando Dom! Really appreciate that, thank you!
    Many thanks to Capt23n for the opportunity to let my dumb luck lead me to a Savage Grenadier Elite! Thanks again!
    Gears of War 3 Wings attained on Jan 15 2012

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: HelIJump3r

I think that if you play some 10-30 games in the weekend playlist then you unlock the skin permanently. Kinda like the beta unlocks right?

Marrow Fiend
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: finRatman X3 PSN ID: Ratman_Fi

Not really .
    Gamertag: finRatman X3 Gearhead since '06 ¡RageQuitPro! Start>Up>A>A ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Need help with Gears 2 multiplayer achievements? Hit me up, and also check this thread out!

Special thanks for BRUTE, CaptainSlayer, Cher, CrabSonoshee, DarkAp89, Fallz, III LYCAN III, ipar, IrazorSHOTTZ, JAY UNIT11, NFI, Nunchake, Philnemba, PopeAdrian37th, Yosoypr and *Zap* for all the cool stuff!

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: bobbo176

I agree that if there was a way to play x amount of games to keep the skins, it would draw many more to the events

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: In Flamez

Quote Originally Posted by HelIJump3r View Post
    I think that if you play some 10-30 games in the weekend playlist then you unlock the skin permanently. Kinda like the beta unlocks right?
    This is certainly something I'd love to see.
    A colossal Thank You, to God of Lemmings for the Infected Omen skin set!

Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: OCASTA91

I always like to play during the events, and am interested to see the custom skins.

I do think that if you play a few matches during an event that you should be able to keep the skin. It would be a great way to reward those who participate in the events. Perhaps make it so you have to play, say 5 complete matches, and then you get to keep the skin.
    COG: COMMANDO DOM
    LOCUST: HUNTER ELITE
    FL4K GNASHER / GOLDEN RETRO LANCER

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: three30zero

Quote Originally Posted by allosaur176 View Post
    I agree that if there was a way to play x amount of games to keep the skins, it would draw many more to the events
    What this guy said. Would love to have the Cupid skin.
    XBL GT: three30zero
    Level 37 l Onyx Medals: 2
    Thank you, III LYCAN III for the Com Dom code!

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: ProtoKane

Quote Originally Posted by HelIJump3r View Post
    I can't disagree with this.
    Many thanks to Falcon2223 for the Commando Dom! Really appreciate that, thank you!
    Many thanks to Capt23n for the opportunity to let my dumb luck lead me to a Savage Grenadier Elite! Thanks again!
    Gears of War 3 Wings attained on Jan 15 2012

Boomshot

I would play the hell out of an event if I got a permanent unlock for doing so. As it stands currently, I use the event skin way more than I play the event itself. I guess it does kinda get me on Gears sometimes when I otherwise might not be, just to check out the new skin/playlist, but it won't necessarily keep me there all weekend.
    Last edited by Reign; 02-21-2012 at 01:36 PM.
    ___,...---'---..---...,,,,',
    [__--_;=-o@Reign187''====
    ``/ /-'-|___|---;;;;;;;;;;;;:'

Massive Thank you to Bumble8eeTuna for my Chicks Dig the Baird tee & for being a truly EPIC boyfriend ❤ ★
    ★ Special mention to Parasidian & Rishy ★ Thank you to Capt23n for my SGE code ★ Many thanks go to Cher for the early access FoN code ★

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Bazinga A7x

The custom skins, do not keep me playing. First off, have not liked them, but that's not the reason. If I can't keep them, don't want them. That's the reason. The T-Ball Drone thing pissed me off. Get to use the skin for 10 days, then gone with no word if we get him in a future DLC. To me this stuff is a tease. Unless they allow us to keep them , either by earning them during the event, or buying them, I would say don't bother.
    "Embrace what you can't change." -Tai
    Total Onyx medals 56/65, EGFC Member #143 Former member of The Insane Horde group, may it R.I.P.
    SpinelessOyster - Thanks for the code.

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: XxVv DANNY vVxX

Yeah, but only if they're decent and I like the playlist. Say they introduced an Easter skin into a special Execution playlist, I'd probably play once then never again because I dislike Execution, it doesn't suit my rushing with Gnasher in hand playstyle. I voted yes though, as I'm always keen to try things out and have participated in every event yet, whether on my console or on another friends.

Yea i loved the valentines day skin i thought it was the bees knees lol if there was a weekend i could use the flaming skin i'd be all over that

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: iN4 Hitman

Quote Originally Posted by In Flamez View Post
    They might. Although, I feel a bit differently on Custom Weapon Skins for events. I feel that if you played during an event that had a weapon skin, you should be able to keep the skin. I'm not sure if anyone else feels the same way though...
    I would play it for the event, but I think we should keep the skins for good after we play or finish a task!

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sP I Forge

Not unless they are permanent. I play a weekend event if I want to play Gears and the event looks interesting. If the skin is a permanent reward then I would definately play to get it, if it was just for the duration of the weekend though, then no I wouldn't be any more likely.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: WoundsOfDeath

Like some guys before said: yeah, but I want to keep the skin.
    The average thread on this forum makes me think Epic is the devil and Gears 3 is a turd it dropped last september. Experience has taught me better.
    Save your Gears life! How to make a backup of your stats to avoid resets

Veteran
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: ThEvilHasLanded

the game play makes me play them or not. so far ive like 1 playlist long enough to stay in more than one game

Out of 22 that's pretty bad
    GearsCON Staff
    Forum Custom Lobby Montages | Official GCON Channel
    Raised By Wolves
    Twitter @ThEvilHasLanded

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: HollowMadCap PSN ID: HollowMadCap

I say yes, but in all honesty, it depends on what the event is. The coolest skin in the world doesnt do much if you are playing on a Event you arnt enjoying.
    DJ for Split Infinity Radio Running the show HEADSHOT Saturdays @ 5pm EST
    Sam/Myrrah (working on Battle Mistress)
    HammerBurst (Thunderstorm)/Gnasher (Chrome)

Voted NO.

Although custom skins are pretty cool. The fact that we can't keep them isn't the draw for me. I usually just play a match or two then I'm done to get the ribbon make a video for collecting purposes and that's it.

Skins being on temporary status means nothing to me. Same catagory as heads. Cool for one match then the novelty wears off.
    I'm just your eveyday average GOOBER

Skaarj
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: xLAxRIOT420x

I don't associate the event with the skin. But if you got to permanently keep the skin after a certain number of games played than I would play those game types longer. Also on that note I don't think you should release characters or skins that are given away for obtaining exclusive stuf. i.e jack in the box lgm or ordering from a certain vendor to get the characters. Its nice to get them but kinda defeats the purpose of those things if u can just buy them later.
    sawed off= noob

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: KING108

Quote Originally Posted by In Flamez View Post
    that would be nice if that could happen

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: MEIYER

They're neat, but I prefer to show my accomplishments through my appearance. I do the event for fun and for the medals. But the prev boom snipes was WAAAAAYY too brutal, still fun tho.
    GoW 3 Member of the Old Guard 20
    Thanks to DizzyRules for my Flame HB code! | And to Reign, Miss Broccoli, and RollerKiller for helping me get it!!
    GoW: J 35

Redeemer

i'd rather have a playlist i liked than skins

not really, xp is more encouraging to play weekend events, and socialite achievement, of course.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Endless VertiGo

I'll echo what several people have said:

I want a way to keep the skin (# of kills or matches with it like the beta)
    Event should be fun

That second item is tough because every event is going to have haters. IF the skins will be awarded permanently then there is a fine line to walk between making them too easy to get (play 1 match) and a total grind (e.g. 100+ kills in 2 days w one weapon or in the playlist). There are a number of factors that could make this idea golden or "meh".

If the thought is permanent unlocks, kudos to Epic for the effort to keep us interested in the MP.

All this being said, if we're talking temporary skins like V-day or Christmas, interest for most people will drop. Personally I wouldn't hop online *JUST* to play with a temp custom skin, but I would equip it if it was available during a time I was on Gears.
    Last edited by Endless VertiGo; 02-21-2012 at 02:29 PM.

Veteran

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: I BChaps I

Quote Originally Posted by Tyme V1 View Post
    What? The skins aren't even linked to the events, in the case of weapon skins. I use the event ones when they show up, but I still don't play the events.

Also, on the note of events;

Everyone knows SHOTTY-SNIPES, is the only acceptable sniper/other gun mode. No more Boomshot-snipes, it's just bloody stupid.
    DBS Snipes would be best.

Gnasher would be way OP. I hate the DBS, but it would be better for the playlist.

I think the semi-auto sniper and DBS starts would be amazing.
    --- --- Gears 1 = 1160/1250 --- --- \\★//Gears 2 = 1750/1750 \\★// --- ---
    --- --- \\★//Gears 3 = 1900/2000 \\★// --- --- 608 Gears J = 1500/1500 608 --- ---
    EPIC Community Reaper July 1, 20013 -- August 20, 2013
    VT---VT---VT---VT---VT---Hokies---VT---VT---VT---VT---VT

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SomaticLegion

Yesyesyes.
    Member of the Old Gaurd \\★//
    Gears 3 Rank: Re-Up 1 - Level 63
    Mechanic Baird|Savage Grenadier Elite/Savage Kantus
    R.I.P Thrashball Drone

Seriously...
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SQuirrel147

I play the same amount, regardless if there is an event or not. So no.

That amount is a lot BTW.
    ~ SQ ~

Yes I am looking forward to Judgment. But NOT because it's Gears.

Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: GolfPro72

For collectors I'm sure it would be an incentive. Personally I play the events because I'm after the War Supporter achievement and because I want to try out the different ideas.
    Follow @Reaper_Tracker on Twitter to obtain your Slayer of Samael medal and weapon skins! I got mine - GO GET YOURS!

Have Reaper questions? Want to know how to find them and/or get an invite? Check out Gnashes Epic Reaper FAQ found HERE.

Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: KILLAKR3WxBLACK

Yessssssss. Even better if we got to keep it
    EMBRY STAR
    WAR HERO

"Most disagreeable."

Thank you Flak for the Avatar Lancer Code via Twitter!
    Thank you Ground Walker for the Adam Fenix Code!

Veteran

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CptTranquilSkye PSN ID: Altima-san

Yes they do, but I would like them to consider adding said skins as a permanent addition if the demand is high enough. I sooooo wanted to keep the Candy Cane and Cupid skins.
    The gamer formerly known as SkyeFire Hero and COG Azure Skye.
    Codes recieved(Will never forget the generosity...) - mcintoshPaintball weapon skin, Parasidian: Young Dom, CaptainSlayer: Neon armor skin, Zales360: Alex Brand, III SKYE III(Myself): Big Game weapon skin and Jungle Tai, Dead Cell Raam: Anya Stroud, Eridanis Nadir: Team Metal weapon skin.
    The Unofficial thread for the revival of King of the Hill!

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: StLouisAssassin

No. The events dictate. So something like "Stay Frosty" was stupid and of no interest to me. "BTTE Exe" or "Zeta" (whatever you want to call it) is amazing, has the best settings ever and is a playlist I would come back to over and over, even if I had to use default guns with no skins at all. I just wish we could have parties of 4.
    Gamertag: StLouisAssassin
    Gears Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/RayKinStL
    Favorite Weapon: Longshot and Digger
    Favorite Character: Anthony Carmine
    GoW1 Achievements: 100% GoW2 Achievments: 100% GoW3 Achievements: 1305/1750 (60/72 achievements earned)

MSgt. Shooter Person

If we could earn it in someway to own forever like I'd love to have the mint and candycane I'm gonna own this game forever so I want everything I can get.

Palace Guard
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: PureFunkayy

I think it would be a nice addition, but I play the weekend events anyway because they are fun.
    My Youtube

EGFC Member #14

Yes I do!.But i would like to keep the skins.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TYPOGRAPH1C

I don't think that is generally the drawing reason as to why I play in the weekends, I mean come on Boom Snipes is just fun as is. But... I do like being able to use the custom weapon skins, and I agree that sometimes I am saddened by the removal of them after the weekend event is over. I think that each #gearsweekend should count towards your "War Supporter" medal, and that if you play "X amount" of matches, or similarly "X amount of kills with *Blank Weapon*" in the weekend playlist, you will be granted the right to keep the weapon skin for your character, acting just like the Beta unlocks...

I mean that seems logical to me. I don't want to be granted a plethora of weapon skins, literally every single weekend I play Gears online. Its just too much, and if I don't like one of them...why would I want to have to cycle through a huge list of them in weapon customization? But, being awarded for playing the playlist and unlocking a custom skin...I think that will cause more incentive to play the weekend or holiday themed gametypes more.

-TYPØ
    You may know me from Twitter. If not... <3

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast