Default Game developer Question

Hi
    I didnt know where to post so sorry if its in the wrong place.

Im looking to make a small project developing a survival horror game (for non commerical reasons) were currently its just me and a friend of mine working on it. were both good at 3D max and making models and meshs, but im more of a programmer and hes a level designer.

were looking to make a lot of things from scratch as well
    Where is the best place to start when developing something?
    At the moment we have a working level(but being update regularly) and a custom game cam.

All advice will be properlly thanked

MSgt. Shooter Person

By my opinion just work, when u stuck, ask here or check http://udkc.info/index.php?title=Category:Tutorials , youtube, etc.
    I wish you luck

MSgt. Shooter Person

@Blitz001: Are you asking what the best method is when starting to create a game? or are you asking a programming question as in how do I start making a game in UDK?

It's an important distinction because if you aren't comfortable with UnrealScript, I'd go do what Boshko mentioned.

MSgt. Shooter Person

The key is just to start(no specific method), you will make many changes and tweaks to your game as it progresses so as long as you have something to work with you can build a nice game.

MSgt. Shooter Person

click the UDK documentation link. look for the UDK gems and the basic game quickstart. that helped me a lot to get started

MSgt. Shooter Person

And go to http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/WebHome.html to access the full documentation of UDK. I seemed to have a hard time finding this at first, and http://udk.com/documentation only links to some of the docs.

You've made a good choice in trying out UDK, it presents many aspects of game development very well, and it allows for a great amount of flexibility and creativity. I wish you luck.

Redeemer

Make a prototype.
    It don't matter if things aren't going to look or be like that, if they work for demonstration.

Maybe the player can fly in the prototype but that is not desired, so just play with him in the floor without manually flying, it still works.
    Then keep making more and more prototypes until you think it feels right.
    Then fix everything.
    Lead Programmer
    It's the Only NEET Thing to Do

Programming for non-fiction.
    I'm the function of my code. Conditions are my body and calls are my blood. I have input over a thousand lines. Unknown of bugs, nor known to work. Have withstand coffee to create many programs. Yet, those hands will never code anything again. So, as I pray, Unlimited Code Works.

Quote Originally Posted by Rdshft View Post
    @Blitz001: Are you asking what the best method is when starting to create a game? or are you asking a programming question as in how do I start making a game in UDK?

It's an important distinction because if you aren't comfortable with UnrealScript, I'd go do what Boshko mentioned.
    I was asking this question in order to understand the fundamentals of game development, from someone that has not made a game before. So in a way i am asking how would you make a game and what methods would you take in order to start?

Boomshot

It sounds like you're well balanced (programmer and designer, both with 3D experience), but I think as the coder you are going to have a tougher job in terms of learning the API and overcoming technical issues. As for methodology...

Set yourselves reasonable goals. Pick small challenges and learn from them before advancing. Break your project down on paper first.

Write down your goals (todo list, task list) but also document what you've achieved. One of the biggest problems in development can be morale - when the task list keeps growing and the end never seems in sight, a quick look back at your achievements can be rewarding. It will also highlight problem areas that take up most of your time.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by Spoof View Post
    It sounds like you're well balanced (programmer and designer, both with 3D experience), but I think as the coder you are going to have a tougher job in terms of learning the API and overcoming technical issues. As for methodology...

Set yourselves reasonable goals. Pick small challenges and learn from them before advancing. Break your project down on paper first.

Write down your goals (todo list, task list) but also document what you've achieved. One of the biggest problems in development can be morale - when the task list keeps growing and the end never seems in sight, a quick look back at your achievements can be rewarding. It will also highlight problem areas that take up most of your time.
    Spoof's dead on. To expand on it, go for a simple prototype or demo. By the time you finish basic game mechanics, controls, a complete level, a character or two and some rudimentary AI, you'll have a better grasp of what's left to do, or redo, or finish.

I didnt really think of it that way now that i look back on it. Thank you for the advice and will be taken heavily into this project. there is another question i would like to ask but i am not sure whether if would be able to in here but i will ask anyway.

For the past couple of days now i have been having trouble trying to do unreal script. Not because its hard or anything its because the documents page of the udk website do not seem to work very well in terms of providing certain bits of information. To give an example Mastering unreal functions - for some reason every time i compile the code it keeps giving me errors about nearly everything and i do not know how to fix it.

Is there any other source that is up to date that i can use in order to progress?

Thanks anyway if there is'nt any