MSgt. Shooter Person

Default Motion Capture for Player Character UDK *HELP*

I've done some motion capture work for my game level for my University assignment, but when it comes to adding this to my player character is where it becomes difficult, it seems that motion capture animation and traditional animation are different somehow, I discovered this when following this tutorial:

http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/...stom-Animation

With traditional animation it works like a charm, but when I try to implement the motion capture animation it doesn't, it just ends up with my character floating in his default pose through the level.

any help would be appreciated by me and the rest of my class!

How is the motion capture animation applied to the character prior export? Have you added keys?
    I'm making a game!

http://www.desura.com/games/modulated
    Click the link above to read more!

MSgt. Shooter Person

Sorry I should have explained better, I've done all the motionbuilder stuff and imported both character, Rigg (with rootbone) and animation to UDK and its working perfectly in animset viewer but this problem is happening when I try to make my custom player character use that animation as the default walking animation, i've done all the scripting that it says in that tutorial (only a little more extensive) but it seems that motion capture animation and trad. animation (which the guy in the tutorial uses ) are different somehow so it doesnt work when I play my level..

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: polygonaldecay

I don't know if it's the same problem but in my case my character was floating as well. What someone suggested me to do was this:

In the editor, right-click on PlayerStart, PlayerStart properties/scroll down to Display and set Pre Pivot Z to -51. I'm sure there must be a much better way to do this through scripting but
    I haven't found it yet. Hope this helps you.

Cheers

If the animations work in the animset viewer, then the problem probably lies with your implementation.

How have you setup your animtree?
    I'm making a game!

MSgt. Shooter Person

Check out tutorial link in original post to see how i've done it, keep in mind that normal animations work on player character with this method, its only because its motion capture animation that makes it harder apparently.

also to see my results check out the post a couple of posts down on this blog:

http://lastyearmajorproject.blogspot.com/

10 february post.

I really doubt it's due to motion capture, once exported, it's all the same.

I assume you have added running animations to all the directions on the directional blend inputs?
    I'm making a game!

MSgt. Shooter Person

I've tried to add animation to all outputs (albeit the same animation) but still the same result, the way I heard it traditional animation is mostly rotations with little transformations, but motion capture has got much more transformations in addition to rotations in their animations.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Angry

ok, i've figured out from another tutorial that you ofcourse have to add the animations and mesh to be used in the anim tree node in the "preview mesh list" and "preview anim set list" tabs, but now another problem has surfaced, the animation STILL doesnt work but now I see why: the AnimNodeSequence doesnt actually play the animation when I scroll the UDKanimBlendByIdle to moving and see that the node turns orange... in the tutorial it works great but mine (I followed the tutorial to the T) still doesnt work...

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: polygonaldecay

Did you check in the node properties the autoplay and play?

MSgt. Shooter Person

I've checked the 'playing' and 'looping' boxes in the node properties

Prisoner 849

Motion capture, bip, csm, bvh, Htr,xam, xml.....It doesn't matter how the animation was created because it all works in UDK....You've just set the animtree up wrong !
    Whoever said that motion capture was different is completely wrong..Its just a different format but fundamentally, all animation is identical , whatever its origin !

MSgt. Shooter Person

I've tested several different ways of setting up the animtree (its not really that much you can do wrong) including yours Lex, but it still doesnt work in-game, and i've double checked the script and everything is correct there, I've no idea what the problem is.