MSgt. Shooter Person

Big Grin Importing Fbx animation to UDK

Hi, i've done some search on this topic but couldn't get what i am looking for.I hope its sth. that can be done with fbx.I am using 3ds max 2012 atm and have a custom mesh animation that moves jump around and have modifiers on it which deforms the mesh duing the animation.This object don't have a bone at all,which is my quest.Is there any way to import this animation to UDK? I really need it,thank you in advance.

Regards,
    Barış

Prisoner 849

Quote Originally Posted by bariscan90 View Post
    Hi, i've done some search on this topic but couldn't get what i am looking for.I hope its sth. that can be done with fbx.I am using 3ds max 2012 atm and have a custom mesh animation that moves jump around and have modifiers on it which deforms the mesh duing the animation.This object don't have a bone at all,which is my quest.Is there any way to import this animation to UDK? I really need it,thank you in advance.

Regards,
    Barış
    You didn't look very well,
    Unreal FBX Importer User Guide

MSgt. Shooter Person

Hi Lexluthor1,thank you for replying it,i know that document I simply added a 1 bone to my mesh and then exported it and re-import to udk as skeletal mesh,in fbx export setting i baked the animation as well.In the anim sequence i can see my timerange is correct but when i play it nothing happens I am sure i am doing sth wrong somehere but where
    Thank you again!

Prisoner 849

Hi Lexluthor1,thank you for replying it,i know that document I simply added a 1 bone to my mesh and then exported it and re-import to udk as skeletal mesh,in fbx export setting i baked the animation as well.In the anim sequence i can see my timerange is correct but when i play it nothing happens I am sure i am doing sth wrong somehere but where
    Thank you again!
    I don't think that will work because you need a root bone!

MSgt. Shooter Person

Hmm At least is there any way to workaround for this ? That doesn't require a bone to give the mesh movement and other stuff ? I just want to import the mesh animation

Prisoner 849

Hmm At least is there any way to workaround for this ? That doesn't require a bone to give the mesh movement and other stuff ? I just want to import the mesh animation
    Not as far as I know!

MSgt. Shooter Person

Ok,thank you very much for the replies Lexluthor1!!
    Have a nice day

MSgt. Shooter Person

Hey guys.
    I have problem with baking animation in the FBX. I have made animation within 400 frame in 3d max and wanted to bake each 50 frame. But when I setting bake animation from 0 to 50 for example, it export whole 400 frames (all animation). Don't know how can I handle it

Prisoner 849

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Ujastik View Post
    Hey guys.
    I have problem with baking animation in the FBX. I have made animation within 400 frame in 3d max and wanted to bake each 50 frame. But when I setting bake animation from 0 to 50 for example, it export whole 400 frames (all animation). Don't know how can I handle it
    You need to split the animations manually and export each separately because FBX has no way of differentiating between different animations or splitting them

MSgt. Shooter Person

I know it....But how Autodesk forgot about this feature in FBX
    Last edited by Mr_Ujastik; 05-16-2012 at 11:04 AM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

I want to make animtree that when vehicle start moves forward it leans forward and when stop moving it leans back. Thus I have made leaning forward animation and used blendbydirectional, but now don't know how to make lean back when vehicle stops. I've made separate animation with leaning back and link it second blendbydirectional, but don't thinkit will work.

Quote Originally Posted by Lexluthor1 View Post
    You need to split the animations manually and export each separately because FBX has no way of differentiating between different animations or splitting them
    I thought that was the whole point of using the Bake Animation From and To range? What do you mean with split the animation up manually? I'm having this issue as well and I'm using 3DS Max 2012.

Prisoner 849

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by McGreed View Post
    I thought that was the whole point of using the Bake Animation From and To range? What do you mean with split the animation up manually? I'm having this issue as well and I'm using 3DS Max 2012.
    I thought that description was obvious...Each animation needs to be exported on the timeline on its own...So say its a walk anim, export that and then clear the timeline, then load your next anim and export the same way!

Hmm, well I was kinda hoping that I was misunderstanding. There gotta be an easier way to do this, without have to save and load animations. I thought it might be possible by using the Time Configuration and set the Start and End time to the frames you wanted to export, but it still exports the whole animation.

MSgt. Shooter Person

You are right McGreed. Setting the Animation bake range in the FBX exporter dialog used to work in older versions i remember using it. However in July version, it imports the entire animation no matter what settings...